• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

Just saw on Facebook that Roy North of Basil Brush fame is 82 which surprised me as I thought he had died some time ago.

Adam Hart Davis is another I thought had left us. I was certain I read his obituary on the BBC website.

Adam Hart Davis is another I thought had left us. I was certain I read his obituary on the BBC website.
That was probably an article on him when he got married just a few years ago. I think he's in his late 70s now. I could google him but...

Yes.
Me also.
I remember thinking that he had died in his prime.

Wonder what we read?

Just saw on Facebook that Roy North of Basil Brush fame is 82 which surprised me as I thought he had died some time ago.

Yes.
Me also.
I remember thinking that he had died in his prime.

Wonder what we read?
Hopefully not my obituary!

Don't worry, I'm not dead yet, I'll let you know when....

I went to see Nigel Benn v Chris Eubank at Old Trafford a long time ago.

Don King grabbed the microphone in the ring. He stormed off when the crowd started chanting 'you fat bastard*. The UK crowd didn't like him particularly.

Samantha Fox was introduced ring side. I bet some can guess what was chanted.

I've just read that Nick Cave was at the coronation. This surprised me no end, because I was convinced he was dead and had been for some time, through suicide. In fact, I thought he died after Red Right Hand.

I know he's lost two sons (although I only found THAT out when I googled to make sure that yes, he was in fact still alive) and I'm sure it wasn't those sad losses that made me think he died. I saw his picture and thought, yep, that's the guy I'm thinking of (because I thought I'd got him mixed up with Nick Drake) - but he's not dead.

I've just read that Nick Cave was at the coronation. This surprised me no end, because I was convinced he was dead and had been for some time, through suicide. In fact, I thought he died after Red Right Hand.

I know he's lost two sons (although I only found THAT out when I googled to make sure that yes, he was in fact still alive) and I'm sure it wasn't those sad losses that made me think he died. I saw his picture and thought, yep, that's the guy I'm thinking of (because I thought I'd got him mixed up with Nick Drake) - but he's not dead.
Nick Kamen perhaps?

Red Right Hand and its parent album Let Love In came out in 1994. You have a lot of back catalogue to catch up on.

Nope, not him. He definitely died young... (and I'm not sure I know Nick Kamen, although the name is vaguely familiar).
I'm deliberately not googling him but IIRC wasn't Nick Kamen the chap who appeared in the advert for jeans in which he stripped off in the laundromat and bunged his strides in the washing machine? Also, I think, went on to have a short-lived pop career?

I'm deliberately not googling him but IIRC wasn't Nick Kamen the chap who appeared in the advert for jeans in which he stripped off in the laundromat and bunged his strides in the washing machine? Also, I think, went on to have a short-lived pop career?
That is the same guy, yes.

I was sure Mike Yarwood, the 70s TV impressionist, had passed away a few years ago but they said on the radio yesterday that it was his birthday and he is 82.

Just a shame for him that impressionists have fallen out of fashion.
He was a very entertaining comedian and I hope he's enjoying his long and well-earned retirement.

Back