• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
I’ve got a tattoo on me willie that says llan but when I get excited in the underpants department it says llanfairpwllgwyngll ha ha ha
I will get my coat
I doubt you'd fit 'IIan' on mine even if I was 'excited'.

I’ve got a tattoo on me willie that says llan but when I get excited in the underpants department it says llanfairpwllgwyngll ha ha ha
I will get my coat
The story goes that a gentleman of Caribbean descent has an intimately-situated tattoo reading 'WENDY' which upsets his new girlfriend.
He explains that it actually says 'WELCOME TO JAMAICA, HAVE A NICE DAY!'

Waiting for that knock at the door and then hoping it's the Jehova's and not Trev, will soon alter that. You'll be a gibbering, wrinkled wreck within the year.
We put one of those “No Cold Callers” signs on our front day this week.
We had young door to door salesmen knocking after 8pm on Easter Monday, a different one the next day and another the day after. They seem to target our street every couple of years but not usually as late in the evening.
These guys produced an official looking i.d. and some paperwork but where they were from I don’t know.
It used to be recently released prisoners that knocked on the door and explained the selling was part of their rehabilitation, but these guys didn’t give any idea who they were.

I will get my coat
The London version was aTattoo on the old chap with the letters HMS which then turned into HAMMERSMITH at the appropriate time.

We put one of those “No Cold Callers” signs on our front day this week.
We had young door to door salesmen knocking after 8pm on Easter Monday, a different one the next day and another the day after. They seem to target our street every couple of years but not usually as late in the evening.
These guys produced an official looking i.d. and some paperwork but where they were from I don’t know.
It used to be recently released prisoners that knocked on the door and explained the selling was part of their rehabilitation, but these guys didn’t give any idea who they were.
It is illegal in Ontario for salespeople to cold call at the door. For the very reason of pressure sales as well as scammers.

My youngest grandson age 6 ask me if I knew when I was going to die.

I told him I would tell him first before anyone else knows.
He at the age when children start to ask about and try to figure out what death means. I would ask him what he thinks it means to him. Has he had a pet die recently (no answer required, just for you to get an idea of why this concept came up)? Then if he has any further questions, you'll have a better idea of what he is looking for. Sometimes it is just reassurance that you are there for him.

I couldn't find my smartphone earlier today. In the end I rang the number from my landline.

I heard it ringing but still couldn't see where it was. Then I remembered that it is linked to my hearing aids via Bluetooth so the ringing was in my ears and not coming from the phone's speaker.

I found it eventually.

Something to blow his trumpet about.

A 95-year-old cornet player has been honoured with a Guinness world record for his lifelong love of music.

Tom Street, from Heage in Derbyshire, has been named as the longest-serving man to play in a brass band. Mr Street, who has been a member of Heage Silver Band for 82 years and 332 days, was surprised with the accolade on Sunday by his 21-year-old grandson Louis. He described playing brass band music as "a joy".

Mr Street (second from right)
IMAGE SOURCE, TOM STREET Image caption, Mr Street (second from right) joined the band as a teenager

Mr Street said he joined the band at 14 after receiving his first cornet at the age of five. Before being given the record-breaking accolade, he had thought he was being taken on a trip to the pub - but instead was taken to the band's rooms.

"I wondered what it was all about," Mr Street said. "I was looking around and seeing all my friends here. I've played with them right through the years."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-65301398

Music wise, as I have got older I have certainly grown to appreciate the songwriting of Bruce Springsteen and Bob Seger more. I have always liked them but I didn't see the melancholy in the songs when I was in my teens and 20s.
I think 'Like a Rock' by Bob Seger sums up getting older pretty well and also 'Racing in the Street' and 'Glory days' by Springsteen.

My friends have been saying lately how many people our age or even younger seem to be dying.
One friend rang me yesterday rather upset. She had been childhood friends with a couple and the wife had died a few years ago. She had kept in touch with the husband until he remarried a couple of years ago.
She hadn't heard from him for a long time and got her husband to google him only to find he died last year.

"They also look crap on old people and old skin, which is what we're now getting."

That's not necessarily always true; one year at the Folsom Street Fair we saw an older man who was heavily tattooed in an abstract, tribal motif with large black spaces; the tattooed areas of his skin had faded and melted into his sags and wrinkles with a rather nifty watered-silk effect. It looked natural and quite becoming; I think he might have planned on living long and designed his ink with the idea of it looking well on old-person skin.

And that's your opinion—we're allowed different ones, you know.

When I say, 'bad', by the way, I don't mean the presence of the tattoo is bad because the person is old, I mean literally that old skin often loosens and stretches and designs become distorted.

I'm told that modern inks are much more likely to retain colour, but the older ones tend to become blue blobs.

Probably.
I'm not wrong. You believe tattoos are a modern fad when they are patently not.

Anyway where's our Tattoos thread? :)
Show us your ink! :bthumbup:

I was planning a couple of measuring tatts on the hands but recent events have suggested a memorial-themed image.

I was planning a couple of measuring tatts on the hands but recent events have suggested a memorial-themed image.
An ex-GF of mine pointed out that, as a rough guide, if you spread your hand out, the distance between little finger tip and thumb tip is about 8". Useful to know when measuring plates, cake pans etc.

Cranky old git!

A 71-year-old man has been jailed following a "persistent" knife attack on a fellow pool player after arguing whether the playing surface was level.

Patrick Dynan, of Wellington Road, Croydon, was charged with grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent, after stabbing Terry Santry, 40, four times. Dynan was also charged with the possession of an offensive weapon in relation to the stabbing in April 2022. At the Old Bailey, he was jailed for 40 months.

As he was sentenced, the victim, Mr Santry, shouted: "You're a lucky boy. I'll see you soon."

On 14 April 2022, Dynan and Mr Santry were drinking and playing pool at the Broad Green Tavern, in West Croydon, before getting into an argument over whether the table was uneven.

Prosecutor Jonathan Loades told the court that shortly afterwards, Dynan entered a nearby chicken shop where Mr Santry was ordering food. He then proceeded to stab Mr Santry from behind with a flick knife.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-65375333

An ex-GF of mine pointed out that, as a rough guide, if you spread your hand out, the distance between little finger tip and thumb tip is about 8". Useful to know when measuring plates, cake pans etc.
Yup but I need it to be accurate.

Back