• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Photos You Need To Really Look At To Understand

Half a million cigarettes? .. a pack of just 20 is almost £20 in England now.
Dunno how people afford that. Everyone I know who smokes rolls their own.

Overheard a relevant conversation recently while posing Techy for an exciting canal-bridge photo.

A woman was talking about her boss who is a hospital respiratory consultant.
He says that 60 roll-ups deliver the same amount of nicotine as only 20 'prepared' (I think that's the word she used) cigarettes. Hence the need to continually roll and smoke, with the ensuing lung damage.

Dunno how people afford that. Everyone I know who smokes rolls their own.

Overheard a relevant conversation recently while posing Techy for an exciting canal-bridge photo.

A woman was talking about her boss who is a hospital respiratory consultant.
He says that 60 roll-ups deliver the same amount of nicotine as only 20 'prepared' (I think that's the word she used) cigarettes. Hence the need to continually roll and smoke, with the ensuing lung damage.

I recall working as my nick's gaoler for a long period. All of the frequent flyers that we used to lock up would demand of their (current) loved ones not that they bring in food treats, or photos of their (hah!) kids, but, " 'Alf ounce Golden Virginia", or " 'Alf ounce Old Holborn."

This would then laboriously be turned into dozens of "hundred-to-the-ounce" rollups, each containing about two strands of tobacco, to be enjoyed when they got their daily "breath of fresh air" in the exercise yard.

Smoking's cool, though...right?

Right?

:rofl:

maximus otter

I recall working as my nick's gaoler for a long period. All of the frequent flyers that we used to lock up would demand of their (current) loved ones not that they bring in food treats, or photos of their (hah!) kids, but, " 'Alf ounce Golden Virginia", or " 'Alf ounce Old Holborn."

This would then laboriously be turned into dozens of "hundred-to-the-ounce" rollups, each containing about two strands of tobacco, to be enjoyed when they got their daily "breath of fresh air" in the exercise yard.

Smoking's cool, though...right?

Right?

:rofl:

maximus otter
Before interrogation questioning of, for eg a prisoner of war, (and maybe in the aforementioned local nick too) one of the first things to ascertain is whether they smoke or not.
If yes, you then have huge leverage over them from the start because after only an hour or two without nicotine, when they're told they can have some if they're very good, they'll start to sing like a canary.

7obwufyoggya1.jpg

It sure is a tricky one to work out - however, if this helps. . . going by the fact that the legs held up by the woman are far to large to be the boys legs, and that it seems to show hairy legs which would eliminate them being the young boys legs.
The legs at the back (in black) don't seem to align correctly with what we can see of the boy's upper body. So it makes me think that either the boy is twisting his body into a slightly contorted shape (in the way young whippersnappers are wont to do on occasion) - or maybe there are 2 boys, one whose legs can be seen and one whose upper body can be seen. The oddness is helped by the fact that the legs that apparently belong to the man look a bit undersized, which might just be an illusion, or maybe his has weedy (but quite hairy) legs. Definitely one to ponder.

The legs at the back (in black) don't seem to align correctly with what we can see of the boy's upper body. So it makes me think that either the boy is twisting his body into a slightly contorted shape (in the way young whippersnappers are wont to do on occasion) - or maybe there are 2 boys, one whose legs can be seen and one whose upper body can be seen. The oddness is helped by the fact that the legs that apparently belong to the man look a bit undersized, which might just be an illusion, or maybe his has weedy (but quite hairy) legs. Definitely one to ponder.
I think that once you can see that the man's white T-shirt stops where it does, it becomes clearer;
(I like the way that the eyes have been hidden. You'd never recognise those two people in the street would you?.....)
conundrum.jpg

I can't work this one out...

Yes, it's weird. My response to all the possible options would be - none of the above.

I'm actually not at all convinced the boy is a legit part of the original image - and if he's been added, then who knows what else has been done.

Yes, it's weird. My response to all the possible options would be - none of the above.

I'm actually not at all convinced the boy is a legit part of the original image - and if he's been added, then who knows what else has been done.
Actually, now that you mention the boy, I looked closer and his head looks photoshopped. His head's angle and position in relation to his supposed shoulder/arm is not right. His head looks like a cut and paste.

Isn't the woman holding up the man by his legs??
And there's a young boy standing behind them with dark striped pants.
Looks obvious to me.

Just my own opinion - but I'm not even a bit convinced. Why black the adults eyes out, and not the child's? How short would that guy's back have to be if those really are his legs she's holding?* And how impressive is it that she can lift what looks like - by the size of his arms - a pretty large male with little or no obvious sign of physical exertion? (She's barely leaning forward, which - without some other form of anchor - I'd say is pretty much inevitable when attempting to counterbalance a hefty weight offset in such a way your central mass; even for someone who is relatively strong).

Actually, now that you mention the boy, I looked closer and his head looks photoshopped. His head's angle and position in relation to his supposed shoulder/arm is not right. His head looks like a cut and paste.

I think it's not what it seems. I suspect it's not a 'fake' in the sense of a tricking the whole internet type of fake. Rather, maybe it's the kind of thing that might have been mocked up between a group of friends, possibly referring to a group in-joke - that type of thing. I can't help wondering - given the way social media works - how often things that are totally understood between a smaller group, become mysteries when they seep from interpersonal minor to internet magna.

*Edit: What I used to find useful (if very time consuming) when trying to figure out what was going on in supposedly anomalous images, was to create versions with major elements photoshopped out, and then join the dots in the resulting void with what should be going on behind - in order to see if those remaining elements looked natural. I don’t have the time or inclination to do it in this case, but I’m pretty sure that if you shopped the female out, and filled in the basics of the piggy back rider – he'd look like a circus freak.

Last edited:
How short would that guy's back have to be if those really are his legs she's holding? And how impressive is it that she can lift what looks like - by the size of his arms - a pretty large male, with little or no obvious sign of physical exertion? (She's barely leaning forward, which - without some other form of anchor - I'd say is pretty much inevitable when attempting to counterbalance a hefty weight offset in such a way your central mass; even for someone who is relatively strong)
I think she is kneeling down and his feet are on the ground. Look at where the floor is.

He does look suspiciously bodied though. And the angle of his head in relation to his shoulders looks wrong too.

And the Americans get nicer boxes.

Can't imagine what they thought they were going to achieve with those new designs.

All that gore is not very stylish.
I have to sell these things. And shelve them. I get a really good, long look at all the cancers, amputations and rotting teeth on the packets. I have never smoked in my life and these pictures traumatise me, whilst all the smokers just rip open the packets and never even look at the pictures. Although I did have one bloke ask for a different packet of Players Red, because he didn't like the picture on the front.

So they've done a really good job of putting me off, and seem to do nothing to deter the regular smokers.

I have to sell these things. And shelve them. I get a really good, long look at all the cancers, amputations and rotting teeth on the packets. I have never smoked in my life and these pictures traumatise me, whilst all the smokers just rip open the packets and never even look at the pictures. Although I did have one bloke ask for a different packet of Players Red, because he didn't like the picture on the front.

So they've done a really good job of putting me off, and seem to do nothing to deter the regular smokers.
Everyone I know who smokes buys tobacco and rolls their own. Who are the rich smokers buying ready-made fags?

Everyone I know who smokes buys tobacco and rolls their own. Who are the rich smokers buying ready-made fags?
The lads from the garage, farmers, builders...I'd guess people who make enough money that they don't need to worry about the cost! And most of them are buying at least one pack of 20 a day - that's upwards of £70 a week, just on fags.

The lads from the garage, farmers, builders...I'd guess people who make enough money that they don't need to worry about the cost! And most of them are buying at least one pack of 20 a day - that's upwards of £70 a week, just on fags.
Mad.
Possibly slightly less unhealthy though, as I mentioned on another thread: the nicotine hit from roll-ups is so poor, smokers need to make 60 to receive the same amount as they would for 20 regular cigarettes. The extra exposure to smoke is highly damaging.

Back