• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Just Disappear (Go Missing)

Ah, I think I have solved the mystery of the missing posts! There was a thread previously that has gone missing. This is discussed on the first page of this thread. Also, @NaughtyFelid was the first poster, at least on this version of the thread to mention the possibility of hit and conceal.
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...just-disappear-go-missing.68706/#post-1963218

So you are not going mad @Carse. At least not in this case.

(Apologies for multiposting. I just started reading more and found more stuff)
Thanks, I thought some posts had definitely gone astray. I distinctly remember mentioning Tyndrum and Bridge of Orchy in one post but searching either of those names didn't bring up anything relevant. Anyway, sorry for derailing this thread!

The photo used was of her with lighter hair. I think her father was said to have provided that photo, and the mother was not happy with its use because her hair was darker when she disappeared.

Oddly though - I also remember watching at least one documentary or reading that there was a bowl of hair dye/paraphenalia at the house when she disappeared. It may have been used by her house mate, as she had a female staying at the house close to that time.

It is weirdly similar to what happened with the issue of the Suzie Lamplugh photos - one was circulated with her hair highlighted, even though she had darker hair when she went missing. (I am sure it was that way around).
Not sure if it's accurate but think I read that the hair dye was open or at least, the packet was out, but not yet used..? (And of course, it might not have been blonde or lighter, anyway).

The photo used was of her with lighter hair. I think her father was said to have provided that photo, and the mother was not happy with its use because her hair was darker when she disappeared.

Oddly though - I also remember watching at least one documentary or reading that there was a bowl of hair dye/paraphenalia at the house when she disappeared. It may have been used by her house mate, as she had a female staying at the house close to that time.

It is weirdly similar to what happened with the issue of the Suzie Lamplugh photos - one was circulated with her hair highlighted, even though she had darker hair when she went missing. (I am sure it was that way around).

Has to be said that any confusion this might have caused must pale into insignificance these days, when trying to get an accurate representation of an individual - certainly a young female individual - is hampered by the fact that many of those images are filtered beyond recognition. I've noticed this a lot the last few years - where an initially released image will portray a female with impossible cheekbones and lips, and eyes like a slow loris. (I say 'female' after consideration - some young men are similarly wont to muck around with their images - but I suspect the societal and peer related pressures involved make the phenomenon much more prevalent among young women.)

I'm not really sure why these images get released. The use of photographs - even fairly representative ones - in identification is not actually the straightforward step we probably all tend to think it is, and can often lead to a mass of misinformation. But many now are so divorced from the subject's everyday appearance as to be more or less useless as a means of identification. I suspect those initial releases are put out to engage us with the individual, and therefore the case, rather than as a serious aid in potential recognition. That would - to my mind - be a legitimate tactic, but I dare say it has to be done very carefully.

(And, by the way, I'm not having a pop at the yoot. A significant proportion of the population has always been precious about the way it appears in the permanent image. The vast majority of posed images are really no more candid than a filtered selfie - and in less digital days we tended to overcome the issue by throwing away the photos that didn't suit. I have no doubt that, had we had the opportunity, we would have been selfying the shit out of ourselves since the days of Fox Talbot.)

Last edited:
…hampered by the fact that many of those images are filtered beyond recognition. I've noticed this a lot the last few years - where an initially released image will portray a female with impossible cheekbones and lips, and eyes like a slow loris.

Agreed.

This is the image released of the woman found dead recently (from the Strange Deaths thread):

4_aleasha4.jpg

l doubt whether this accurately reflects what confronted the emergency services attending the incident.

maximus otter

Old fashioned I might be but I think the current trend - and pressure - to have a particular look, i.e. duck-face, exaggerated lips etc. has given rise to a form of 'clone'.
I know I'm not the target audience but when I see videos or photos of 'girl groups', they all look identical to me but with interchangable wigs.

The mystery of Morocco’s missing king
In 2018 a German kickboxer befriended Mohammed VI. The monarch has rarely been seen since

Five years ago, an unusual image appeared on Instagram. It showed Mohammed VI, the 54-year-old king of Morocco, sitting on a sofa next to a muscular man in sportswear. The two men were pressed up next to each other with matching grins like a pair of kids at summer camp. Moroccans were more accustomed to seeing their king alone on a gilded throne.

The story behind the picture was even stranger. Abu Azaitar, the 32-year-old man sitting next to the king, is a veteran of the German prison system as well as a mixed-martial-arts (mma) champion. Since he moved to Morocco in 2018 his bling-filled Instagram feed has caused the country’s conservative elite to shudder. [Rest is paywalled]

Remains of high flying computer expert finally found 21 years after he vanished

Computer expert Russell Scozzi, from Swansea, was last seen in May, 2002, but now police have found his remains in secluded woodland with his family saying they can finally "grieve for him properly

The last confirmed sighting of the computer expert in 2002 was at a Swansea bus station. He was 43 years old and a year earlier had, without reason, given up a high-salary IT job with a multi-national company.

Mr Scozzi was known to have travelled extensively to the likes of Bali and Australia and spoke both German and French fluently.

But it was considered unusual for him not to keep in regular touch with family and what concerned them most was that he made no attempts to contact his children, something that was completely out of character.
1683118059934.png

Missing for 32 years, their car is also missing, maybe they are in a lake or a river.

Conor and Shiela Dwyer, who lived at Chapel Hill, Fermoy, Co Cork, have been missing since April 1991, according to a missing persons notice from An Garda Síochána.

The Dwyers, both aged in their 60s, were last seen walking to St. Patrick's Church in Fermoy on April 30, 1991.

After being notified some days later that the couple was missing, Gardai went to the Dwyer home and found the house secure and all personal items such as clothes, passports, and money still in the house. Their bank accounts have also not been accessed since their disappearance.

However, their car, a white Toyota Cressida registration number 5797 ZT, was not at the house and has not been located to date.l

No trace of the couple has ever been discovered despite several Garda appeals and numerous reported sightings in Ireland, Germany, and France.

The alleged sighting in Germany took place in Munich in 1993 and intrigued gardaí as Conor Dwyer had spent time working for German businessman Fritz Wolf, who owned a house near Fermoy. However, local police and Interpol investigated the sighting and dismissed it as a well-intentioned but mistaken report. ...

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/conor-sheila-dwyer-cork

I was listening to Stuart Maconie on 6Music last night and he played a track by Connie Converse, have we mentioned her yet? Here's an article:
Link

She was a singer songwriter in the 1950s, one of the first of her kind, but by the 70s she had slipped into depression and alcoholism. However, she then announced she had turned a corner and was going to clean up her act, so packed all her belongings into a Volkswagen and hit the road. She was never seen again, not a trace of her remains except some recordings and photographs. A real enigma, her family thought she committed suicide, but there's no proof of that.
NY Times article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/06/nyregion/connie-converse-nyc.html

There's another ongoing case in the Highlands - which hasn't elicited much media interest - which I can't help thinking has the potential to go in a similar direction to the Tony Parsons case.

Source

It's difficult to make out an exact course of events from the details available, but whatever the precise nature of the facts are, he appears to have set off walking along the road that borders the north side of the loch, in darkness.

I know that area fairly well. It's isolated, it's unlit, the road is narrow - and some people drive along it at ridiculous speeds. There's little road traffic at night, and probably even less the further west you go - which probably exacerbates the temptation some might feel to drive like a nutter. (It wouldn't be difficult, driving that road at night, to feel like you were the only person left in the universe - and given how long it seems to take to get anywhere, I imagine the temptation to put your foot down is a strong one.) I would think very, very carefully before walking along that road during the hours of darkness.
Nearly two months since he disappeared, Reece Rodger has still not been found but some more details have emerged since the initial reports. Here's a precis:

On Saturday March 18th, Reece was camping with a group of friends in the vicinity of Killichonan on the northern shore of Loch Rannoch. Wild camping is legal in Scotland and so they were not using an organised campsite. I haven't been able to find out the precise location where they pitched their tents, how many were in the group, when they arrived or how long they intended to stay. At some point the following morning (Sunday 19th) the friends reported Reece missing to the police and stated that they thought he had gone to sleep in his tent at around 23:30.

After the initial publicity, a motorist on the B846 told police that at about 23:30 on Saturday 18th they had seen a man in black clothing, matching Reece's decription, walking along the road between Liarn Farm and Aulich a few miles to the east of where the group had pitched their tents. It hasn't been reported in the media which direction this man was walking or which way the motorist was driving, but they were concerned enough for the welfare of the man walking on this remote and isolated stretch of road so late at night that they stopped and got out of the car to see if they could help him. However, the man had disappeared from view and the motorist eventually got back in the car and drove off. There was no moon that evening and the area is so sparsely populated that it's pitch black around there at night, so unless they used a torch or the vehicle headlights it would have been impossible for the car driver to see where the man had gone. The darkness would also have made it very difficult for Reece to see where he was going without a torch and he is reported to have been wearing wellington boots which are not ideal for walking any great distance.

This week Police Scotland stated that mobile phone location data confirms that the motorist's sighting almost certainly was Reece. On the subject of his mobile phone, his partner told the media that she had spoken with him on the phone several times that day, saying that he told her around 16:00 that he was unhappy and wanted to come home. The media has also reported that the last phone call made by Reece to his partner was at 23:18 - around ten to fifteen minutes before he was spotted by the car driver - and lasted for one minute but they haven't revealed what was said. The phone was apparently switched off immediately after this call.

There have been extensive searches of the land and loch by police, mountain rescue and private groups over the last two months but nothing at all has turned up and no trace has been found of him. The road runs close to and above the loch but is generally seperated from it by thick tree and bush cover. The banks of the loch are shallow, although it is deep in the middle. This Google Streetview link shows the section of road that Reece was walking along when he was seen by the car driver giving an idea of the sort of terrain and the isolation of the area. Here's an OS map showing the locations:

Reece01.png

There are several questions which occur to me:
  1. When did the group arrive at their camping location - earlier on the Saturday or before then? How many were in the group and how well did they know each other? They must have travelled there in at least one vehicle, so who did it belong to? Or did Reece have access to his own vehicle there?
  2. Had the group been camping together previously? Had they visited Killichonan or the Loch Rannoch area before?
  3. Why did his friends tell the police that they "thought he had gone to bed" at 23:30 when it is now known at that time Reece was around four or five miles away on foot? When was the last time that any of them can positively state they saw him?
  4. Reece told his partner that he wanted to leave, so what was going on to prompt that? Were people in the group drinking or taking drugs? Were threats of violence made?
  5. Had Reece been drinking or using other substances that night?
  6. What was said in the final phone call and why was the phone switched off? Has the phone been turned on since then? Where exactly was the last cell tower ping before it was turned off?
  7. Did Reece hide when the car driver stopped and got out because he thought it was one of the group come looking for him? Where was the motorist going on such a lonely road at that time of night and has the car been examined for damage?
My current theory is that Reece was trying to get away from the group because of an argument and decided to head for Kinloch Rannoch (around 8 miles to the east) to find somewhere to stay overnight. Perhaps he had the Loch Rannoch Hotel in mind, which you pass on the road soon after you leave the village. I think he vastly underestimated how long it would take to walk, became tired and cold through the effects of exposure and lay down in the trees near the road, succumming to hypothermia. For the record the overnight low temperature that night was 5°C and it was raining.

Reece02.png

Last edited:
Nearly two months since he disappeared, Reece Rodger has still not been found but some more details have emerged since the initial reports. Here's a precis:

On Saturday March 18th, Reece was camping with a group of friends in the vicinity of Killichonan on the northern shore of Loch Rannoch. Wild camping is legal in Scotland and so they were not using an organised campsite. I haven't been able to find out the precise location where they pitched their tents, how many were in the group, when they arrived or how long they intended to stay. At some point the following morning (Sunday 19th) the friends reported Reece missing to the police and stated that they thought he had gone to sleep in his tent at around 23:30.

After the initial publicity, a motorist on the B846 told police that at about 23:30 on Saturday 18th they had seen a man in black clothing, matching Reece's decription, walking along the road between Liarn Farm and Aulich a few miles to the east of where the group had pitched their tents. It hasn't been reported in the media which direction this man was walking or which way the motorist was driving, but they were concerned enough for the welfare of the man walking on this remote and isolated stretch of road so late at night that they stopped and got out of the car to see if they could help him. However, the man had disappeared from view and the motorist eventually got back in the car and drove off. There was no moon that evening and the area is so sparsely populated that it's pitch black around there at night, so unless they used a torch or the vehicle headlights it would have been impossible for the car driver to see where the man had gone. The darkness would also have made it very difficult for Reece to see where he was going without a torch and he is reported to have been wearing wellington boots which are not ideal for walking any great distance.

This week Police Scotland stated that mobile phone location data confirms that the motorist's sighting almost certainly was Reece. On the subject of his mobile phone, his partner told the media that she had spoken with him on the phone several times that day, saying that he told her around 16:00 that he was unhappy and wanted to come home. The media has also reported that the last phone call made by Reece to his partner was at 23:18 - around ten to fifteen minutes before he was spotted by the car driver - and lasted for one minute but they haven't revealed what was said. The phone was apparently switched off immediately after this call.

There have been extensive searches of the land and loch by police, mountain rescue and private groups over the last two months but nothing at all has turned up and no trace has been found of him. The road runs close to and above the loch but is generally seperated from it by thick tree and bush cover. The banks of the loch are shallow, although it is deep in the middle. This Google Streetview link shows the section of road that Reece was walking along when he was seen by the car driver giving an idea of the sort of terrain and the isolation of the area. Here's an OS map showing the locations:

View attachment 66160

There are several questions which occur to me:
  1. When did the group arrive at their camping location - earlier on the Saturday or before then? How many were in the group and how well did they know each other? They must have travelled there in at least one vehicle, so who did it belong to? Or did Reece have access to his own vehicle there?
  2. Had the group been camping together previously? Had they visited Killichonan or the Loch Rannoch area before?
  3. Why did his friends tell the police that they "thought he had gone to bed" at 23:30 when it is now known at that time Reece was around four or five miles away on foot? When was the last time that any of them can positively state they saw him?
  4. Reece told his partner that he wanted to leave, so what was going on to prompt that? Were people in the group drinking or taking drugs? Were threats of violence made?
  5. Had Reece been drinking or using other substances that night?
  6. What was said in the final phone call and why was the phone switched off? Has the phone been turned on since then? Where exactly was the last cell tower ping before it was turned off?
  7. Did Reece hide when the car driver stopped and got out because he thought it was one of the group come looking for him? Where was the motorist going on such a lonely road at that time of night and has the car been examined for damage?
My current theory is that Reece was trying to get away from the group because of an argument and decided to head for Kinloch Rannoch (around 8 miles to the east) to find somewhere to stay overnight. Perhaps he had the Loch Rannoch Hotel in mind, which you pass on the road soon after you leave the village. I think he vastly underestimated how long it would take to walk, became tired and cold through the effects of exposure and lay down in the trees near the road, succumming to hypothermia. For the record the overnight low temperature that night was 5°C and it was raining.

View attachment 66161

6: Where exactly was the last cell tower ping before it was turned off?

Don’t imagine that this will give a precise location. It can, under certain circumstances, but the Highlands…?

maximus otter

6: Where exactly was the last cell tower ping before it was turned off?

Don’t imagine that this will give a precise location. It can, under certain circumstances, but the Highlands…?

maximus otter
I do see what you mean, but at work last year I attended an incident where someone who had taken their own life and the body had been located by Police Scotland using their mobile phone data. I spoke to a police staff member (civilian rather than a warranted officer) who deals with electronic forensics for stuff like this and he described how they used the cell tower data to locate the phone. My understanding is that they have tools that can analyse even just a single tower ping to get a pretty precise arc on which a phone could be located. With more towers, it would be even more precise. They can also get GPS data to give an exact position, if the phone was sending it back for apps like Facebook etc.. It was only a brief five minute chat (and perhaps he was bigging it up a bit, though they definitely did find the body from the phone’s location) but it was very interesting to hear some of the things the police can find out about you from your phone if they want to. And, of course, no doubt there’s far more stuff they can do that he didn’t mention.

Ofcom has an online signal coverage checker which suggests the main carriers (apart from O2) have a decent strength in the area:

IMG_7038.jpegIMG_7037.jpeg
IMG_7035.jpegIMG_7036.jpeg

It’s all moot anyway, because the sort of questions I’ve posted above will certainly not be answered publicly by Police Scotland or anyone else! However if I were tasked with investigating this disappearance those are the things I would have been asking.

Last edited:
Perhaps he didn't so much turn his phone off, as it died. If they were camping, what facilities did they have for charging their phones? My daughter's phone died repeatedly during our Wales trip, because we were using it for navigation and photography. If he'd been doing similar, maybe his battery died?

We went cycling there. Once we left the park/biking areas we were immediately and horribly lost. :chuckle:
Couldn't seem to get my hands on a map of the place. It was like Moscow.
Welcome, comrade, to the Milton Keynes Kommunalkas!

There is the ongoing mystery of Sydney woman Melissa Caddick, now presumed dead, though not conclusively despite her foot washing up on a beach sometime after her disappearance. Some theories say she had it deliberately removed to throw the law off track while she made her escape. Bizarre I know, but the entire story is strange:

Her Wikipedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melissa_Caddick

Fraudster Melissa Caddick’s missing 30 hours explained​

The search for answers in one of the country’s most compelling mysteries took a step towards resolution this week.

https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...d/news-story/1a3f313ad48577abf80960319f8737fc

There is now a podcast on the mystery:

Liar, Liar: Melissa Caddick and the Missing Millions

This story still has legs

When conwoman Melissa Caddick vanished from her luxurious eastern Sydney home in November 2020 - with only her partially decomposed foot found washed up on a beach months later - it set off a frenzy in Australia.

The case blindsided investors, baffled police, and captured the imagination of a nation. The fraudster has inspired a hit podcast, a TV dramatisation, and countless outlandish theories - including that she had been swallowed by a shark or had severed her own foot to throw police off her scent.

A long-running inquest into the case heard of a flawed police investigation, conflicting accounts from her husband, and all the extensive speculation surrounding her fate.

But a coroner on Thursday ruled that exactly what happened to her would remain a mystery.

"The conclusion I have reached is that Melissa Caddick is deceased. However... I do not consider the evidence enables a positive finding as to how she died, or when and where this happened," Deputy State Coroner Elizabeth Ryan wrote.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-65395490

...My current theory is that Reece was trying to get away from the group because of an argument and decided to head for Kinloch Rannoch (around 8 miles to the east) to find somewhere to stay overnight. Perhaps he had the Loch Rannoch Hotel in mind, which you pass on the road soon after you leave the village. I think he vastly underestimated how long it would take to walk, became tired and cold through the effects of exposure and lay down in the trees near the road, succumming to hypothermia. For the record the overnight low temperature that night was 5°C and it was raining...

I'm not sure it takes a conflict within the group to create a conflict within the individual. People who work in the emergency services in such environments probably have a better name for it, but there's a thing I think of as a sort of 'wilderness fever' which appears to lead to people becoming completely disoriented in such environments, and possibly subject to odd behaviour. It almost seems to me - and I don't intend to belittle the situation with the comparison - to be something like a slightly less annihilatory version of Douglas Adams' Total Perspective Vortex, and I suspect one of the factors involved is the utter lack of an individual's usual sources of distraction, and an absolutely overriding desire to get back to a more familiar environment, with ample access to those distractions.

I agree with the rest though: I've drunk in the bar at the Loch Rannoch Hotel myself, and I think I'm right in saying that - along with another hotel in Kinloch Rannoch - it's about the only place to get a legitimate pint until you hit Pitlochry, around 25 miles to the east (there's literally nothing heading west until you hit Rannoch Station). I too think he may have completely underestimated the journey - and have also wondered about hypothermia; it wasn't that cold, but it doesn't have to be freezing - certainly not if you are wet, and certainly not if your body temperature has been reduced by alcohol intake. He was last seen wearing joggers and a sweatshirt, and wellingtons. The former are going to have soaked up the rain like sponges - and although you can now get wellington boots that are utterly space age compared to the calf-slappers I wore as a kid, even those are not good for long range walking (and I kind of doubt he had the good ones anyway).

...decided to head for Kinloch Rannoch (around 8 miles to the east) to find somewhere to stay overnight. Perhaps he had the Loch Rannoch Hotel in mind, which you pass on the road soon after you leave the village...

Found a photo of mine that gives a bit of an overview of at least part of that proposed route:

IMG_3063a.jpg

This is the view looking west along Loch Rannoch, from Craig Varr - the hill above Kinloch Rannoch.

If the witnesses are correct, Reece Rodger was walking towards the POV, along the road which edges the north of the loch (right hand side).

The building just visible in the trees towards the waters edge in the right foreground mark the location of the Loch Rannoch Hotel. The small promontory in the top right quadrant - the one which appears greener in the sunlight - is the approximate location of Aulich, which is a location related to at least one of the alleged sightings. Rodger's campsite was further along, beyond the larger, darker bulge above Aulich.

Compared to the map, the image seems to slightly exaggerate the curve in the loch's shape - I suspect that's just to do with POV and maybe some foreshortening. There's also a fair bit more loch to go, beyond where it disappears in the above image.

The road itself would be an easy enough walk, and the dip of the land towards the loch is relatively gentle all the way along its length, from what I recall. From the above point of view, it all looks relatively civilised, but it should be emphasised that once you are away from the lochside, and the road that skirts it - you would be walking almost immediately into a state of isolation.

If the eye witnesses are mistaken (and I'm always a little circumspect) and Reece became disoriented and headed in the other direction, then he's effectively heading up an enormous cul-de-sac, which leads here, or roundabouts - roadless, wild, and potentially lethal:

IMG_2953a.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure it takes a conflict within the group to create a conflict within the individual. People who work in the emergency services in such environments probably have a better name for it, but there's a thing I think of as a sort of 'wilderness fever' which appears to lead to people becoming completely disoriented in such environments, and possibly subject to odd behaviour. It almost seems to me - and I don't intend to belittle the situation with the comparison - to be something like a slightly less annihilatory version of Douglas Adams' Total Perspective Vortex, and I suspect one of the factors involved is the utter lack of an individual's usual sources of distraction, and an absolutely overriding desire to get back to a more familiar environment, with ample access to those distractions.

I agree with the rest though: I've drunk in the bar at the Loch Rannoch Hotel myself, and I think I'm right in saying that - along with another hotel in Kinloch Rannoch - it's about the only place to get a legitimate pint until you hit Pitlochry, around 25 miles to the east (there's literally nothing heading west until you hit Rannoch Station). I too think he may have completely underestimated the journey - and have also wondered about hypothermia; it wasn't that cold, but it doesn't have to be freezing - certainly not if you are wet, and certainly not if your body temperature has been reduced by alcohol intake. He was last seen wearing joggers and a sweatshirt, and wellingtons. The former are going to have soaked up the rain like sponges - and although you can now get wellington boots that are utterly space age compared to the calf-slappers I wore as a kid, even those are not good for long range walking (and I kind of doubt he had the good ones anyway).
This And extra props for the reference to the Total Perspective Vortex.

It also occurs to me that someone who goes camping in such an isolated place but is only wearing wellingtons, is probably not particularly well provided for life outdoors. Wellies are great for a short walk through bogland, but for walking any distance they are uncomfortable, even the best ones pinch and rub. They are for doing outdoor yard jobs or walking the dog a short way on a wet day, in my opinion.

Going camping in wellingtons may mean that he didn't have a proper sleeping bag either. Enough to make anyone take off in search of civilisation.

...extra props for the reference to the Total Perspective Vortex...

And, as I said, I wasn't being at all flippant with the analogy. I'm by no means an experienced mountaineer, but I know my way around, and love the wilderness. Even so, even with those leanings, I can still sometimes feel my self being overtaken by the conviction that I'm only a hairsbreadth away from fading away into the vastness. I've been thinking about the subject a lot recently - the awesome and the sublime, and our place within it; not least because of this thread.

Last edited:
The media is reporting that a body has been found on the north shore of Loch Rannoch, the official identification hasn't taken place but presumably it is that of Reece Rodger. It is good that the family will have some level of closure but they are unlikely ever to get any insight into what motivated him to leave his friends and walk to his death.

The media is reporting that a body has been found on the north shore of Loch Rannoch, the official identification hasn't taken place but presumably it is that of Reece Rodger. It is good that the family will have some level of closure but they are unlikely ever to get any insight into what motivated him to leave his friends and walk to his death.
That's very sad, the poor lad. But it may be that, now he's been found, his friends will feel a bit more able to talk about what happened at the camp site, so his family may get a degree more understanding.

Back