• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

the acknowledgment in a large format
Like those comically large 'cheques' that are given to lottery winners etc?
1681233788996.png

I’m still not getting notifications for some of my watched threads. I thought it was odd no one had commented on Uncanny. They had but I hadn’t had a notification.

I’m still not getting notifications for some of my watched threads. I thought it was odd no one had commented on Uncanny. They had but I hadn’t had a notification.

I can see no reason for this from your settings.

My advice:

1) Bookmark all threads you want to follow.
2) Unwatch all threads.
3) Log out.
4) Flush cookies and cache; restart browser.
5) Log-in.
6) Rewatch threads from bookmarks.

I know this is irritating.

Sometimes this happens when you haven't quite read everything the last time a notification for that thread came through. If you go back to the last notification you got for that thread & browse through to ensure you didn't miss anything that sometimes makes your notifications work properly again. (This happened for me once or twice particularly on fast-moving threads when I'd taken a break or had been busy or pushed for time so tried to skim through.)

Am I right in thinking that threads in 'chat' do not create a notification? Or is that something else?

Am I right in thinking that threads in 'chat' do not create a notification? Or is that something else?

I have no idea.

I've never used notifications.

They always seemed rather pointless.

Reactions: Sid
No, not 'notifications', I meant 'alerts'....the little pic of a bell (top right) which gets a red dot when something new comes along.

No, not 'notifications', I meant 'alerts'....the little pic of a bell (top right) which gets a red dot when something new comes along.
Alerts are what you get if you get a ‘like’ or reply to a post. They work on chat. They don't show something new as far as I know.

Dunno if it's just me or if others are experiencing this lately.
I have noticed on more than a couple of occasions within the past few days that upon returning to a thread that I thought I had posted to recently, I find that the post I thought I had contributed is still sitting in the 'edit' pane at the bottom of the screen as though I hadn't hit the 'post reply' button.
I mean, okay, it could be that I hadn't remembered to hit the button, but it's unlikely, and even less likely that I would omit the button press repeatedly, especially as I have a habit of re-reading my text thoroughly when I feel I have completed it, and then when I think to myself "yep, that's good" it triggers me to press the green 'post reply' (or as I like to call it "fire and forget").

I have noticed on more than a couple of occasions within the past few days that upon returning to a thread that I thought I had posted to recently, I find that the post I thought I had contributed is still sitting in the 'edit' pane at the bottom of the screen as though I hadn't hit the 'post reply' button.
I mean, okay, it could be that I hadn't remembered to hit the button, but it's unlikely, and even less likely that I would omit the button press repeatedly, especially as I have a habit of re-reading my text thoroughly when I feel I have completed it, and then when I think to myself "yep, that's good" it triggers me to press the green 'post reply' (or as I like to call it "fire and forget").
Happened to me recently.

Happened to me recently.
Let's face it, we're not getting any younger. :dunno:

Does it only happen when you are using your phone? All hell can break loose when I use mine on here.

I only ever visit this place via the comfort of my wingback leather armchair in front of my BBC Micro.
My phone is reserved for phoning people.

Only a suggestion, but if the connection times out and the post is not actually submitted, the unsubmitted draft will appear in the reply box whenever you open that thread again (for a fixed duration I can't recall).

Clicking away or closing the tab before the submitted reply is actually accepted and displayed can scupper an attempt at a post and leave the unreceived draft, too.

Only a suggestion etc
Well, I'll keep my eye on it for a while and be particularly certain that I am posting all my posts and waiting to see them displayed before moving on, and then if I see it happen again......
1685019929063.png

I'll be back.....

It's worse than that - the Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Terminator with living tissue over a metal endoskeleton sustained damage to the 'living tissue' part which prevented the model being able to fully use the camera contained behind the eye, which led to the need to excise the damaged tissue by yamming a scalpel in there and twisting it around a bit, and then cleaning the hole with a towel.
Fortunately there was a handy pair of black sunglasses to conceal the job.

Only a suggestion, but if the connection times out and the post is not actually submitted, the unsubmitted draft will appear in the reply box whenever you open that thread again (for a fixed duration I can't recall).

Clicking away or closing the tab before the submitted reply is actually accepted and displayed can scupper an attempt at a post and leave the unreceived draft, too.
I'm grateful for it. There have been several times when I forgot to push reply and left the board.

Back