• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

wars of the worlds by jeff wayne
journey to the center of the earth by ?
(both on vinyl)

(does these count?)

melf said:
journey to the center of the earth by ?
(both on vinyl)....

Rick Wakeman, along with 'King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table'.

thats him! (never played it yet) ta timble
never heard of the kotrt album (any good?)
would the 6 wives of henry 8th count?

intersteller warpdrive by hawkwind

Spirit of the Age by Hawkwind. Apparently they still attempt to play it live. :rolleyes:

melf said:
never heard of the kotrt album (any good?)

Just checked and realised that its full title is 'The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table' (1975).

As for good, if you liked early 70s progressive rock, you'll probably like it (I do) if not, it's probably pompous noodling with two keyboards and an orchestra, and I think there was an ice show that went with it.

I've just remembered the Music in the Key of X album which included:

Unmarked Helicopters - Soul Coughing

Down in the Park - Foo Fighters

Red Right Hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seed

beakboo said:
Spirit of the Age by Hawkwind. Apparently they still attempt to play it live. :rolleyes:

It'll be no good without Bob Calvert.

how about 'Neil Young' after the gold rush

Well I dreamed I saw the silver spaceship flying
In the yellow haze of the sun
There were children crying and colours flying
All around the chosen one
All in a dream, all in a dream
The loading had begun
Flying mother nature's silver seed
To a new home in the sun
Flying mother nature's silver seed
To a new home

I know Timble

mention the song 'after the gold rush ' but I just thought I'd put in some lyrics.:)

Cavynaut said:
It'll be no good without Bob Calvert.

oh yes Hawkwind.... time we left this world today...and lots more... they are one of those bands thats alot better theni think they are....

BobCalvert also did... Captain Lockheed and the star fighters (a record about how Lockheed sould killer planes to Germany)

and a record about the Viking discovery of America...

Ghost Riders in the Sky:

Cowboy change your ways today
Or with us you will ride,
Trying to catch the devil's herd
Across these endless skies.

Always makes the hair on the back of my beak stand up, especially when sung by Johnny Cash.

sidecar_jon said:
oh yes Hawkwind.... time we left this world today...and lots more... they are one of those bands thats alot better theni think they are....

BobCalvert also did... Captain Lockheed and the star fighters (a record about how Lockheed sould killer planes to Germany)

and a record about the Viking discovery of America...

"Lucky Leif and the Longships"

aparently Captian Lockheed included in it musicians.Twink(of Pink faries), Arthur Brown (fire gone burned!), Adrian Wagner(great grandson of the Wagner), Brian Eno (inventor of stomach salts...err no but prity strange ), Vivian Stanshall (Bonzo dog, various large scale spoofs and hoaxs, and was voice on tubular bells died under myserious circumstances http://bridge.anglia.ac.uk/~systimk/music/bonzos/Viv.Html )

Timble said:
Down in the Park - Foo Fighters

I prefer the original Gary Numan version, but thanks for reminding me... I used to have a copy of that one but lost it *wanders off to recover said music*

"Devil Went Down To Georgia" by The Charlie Daniel's Band; Beakboo's mention of "Ghost Riders" made me think of it - always put a chill down my spine, too, as does this song.

"I done told you once, you son of a bitch, I'm the best that's ever been!" :)

Lots of Creedence Clearwater Revival songs deal with the supernatural, too; probably because they're based upon, or covers of, old delta blues tunes; rich in hoodoo culture and sympathy for (& fear of) the devil.

sidecar_jon said:
"Lucky Leif and the Longships"

aparently Captian Lockheed included in it musicians.Twink(of Pink faries), Arthur Brown (fire gone burned!), Adrian Wagner(great grandson of the Wagner), Brian Eno (inventor of stomach salts...err no but prity strange ), Vivian Stanshall (Bonzo dog, various large scale spoofs and hoaxs, and was voice on tubular bells died under myserious circumstances http://bridge.anglia.ac.uk/~systimk/music/bonzos/Viv.Html )

I've never heard 'Lucky Leif' but I have a copy of 'Capt Lockheed'. I agree totally, Hawkwind were/are a bloody great band. And you mentioned Arthur Brown sidecar, he's an old hero of mine! And Twink!!!!

The witch doctor

WITCH DOCTOR
DAVID SEVILLE
(Ross Bagdaserian, Jr)

I told the witch doctor
I was in love with you
I told the witch doctor
I was in love with you
And then the witch doctor
He told me what to do

He said that

Ooo eee,ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang
Ooo eee ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla bing bang...
Ooo eee ,ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla ,bing bang
Ooo eee ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla bing bang
:blah:

Cavynaut said:
I've never heard 'Lucky Leif' but I have a copy of 'Capt Lockheed'. I agree totally, Hawkwind were/are a bloody great band. And you mentioned Arthur Brown sidecar, he's an old hero of mine! And Twink!!!!

aparently hes one of the voices in the sketches between songs

bene trying to find Lucky Lief..with no sucess.

The Pixie's - manta ray "fish don't swim...fish fly !!!"

Frank Blacks "men in black" (not the crap Will Smith films)

You believe it (you better)
I got their number
Classic camcorder
I saw everything
Dinner plate specials
The shapes of cucumber
Im going to the papers
I am going to sing
In the cool, cool night
And in the middle of the day
Im watching my back
Im waiting my visitation
From the men in black
Are they grey or is it my own nation?

Can't get much Fortean that that...can you ???

Cathal Coughlan - We Are The Sinister World Government

Will the King of Denver kindly speak
He only does so in Tajik-
Still, nothing like company

You seemed so lonely on your own
Resenting comments on your home
Tooled-up sea to doped-up sea

Burn all guitars, let synthesisers gently squelch
Tear down the malls, no steaks, no Marlboro¹s, no pelts
As Rushmore weeps and starts to melt

You can¹t argue with greatness, children, make no attempt
We¹re the sinister
World government

English boys with skinny jaws, having fun with martial law
Brussels Eurocrats full-armed

Bible burners Papists too, Arkan and his Belgrade Zoo
Roam round Milwaukee but they¹re
Easily charmed

If New Orleans comes to look like Limerick
Well tough luck
It¹s time to pay, the barcode on your forehead
Says how much

You can¹t hide in a missile-silo from the ubermensch
We¹re the sinister
World Government

And can you see, black helicopters from the East
Annie Sprinkle in the White House
As Abu Nidal paints it peach
Blowing up the bits he cannot reach

If you believe in devils, advancing to pollute
We¹re the sinister
And that¹s the truth
And if you believe in gremlins
Who never pay their rent
We¹re the sinister
World
Government

You can download the mp3 of this track (& Eerin go Braghag) from cathalcoughlan.com

Sheryl Crow - Maybe Angels

Robbie Robertson - Somewhere Down the Crazy River

Ok Fortean titled tunes:

Spirits in the Material World by the Police,
De-ja-vu by Iron maiden.
Albatros by Fleetwood Mac
Ship arrived to late to save a drowning witch and Zomby Woof by Frank Zappa.
Phantasmagoria by the Damned.
Hellhound on my Trail by Robert Johnson
:cool:

Quite a few Pogues songs contain references to ghosts, Devils, and Banshees etc. For example "Turkish Song of the Damned."

They've been mentioned on this board before, though not on this thread: I heard/saw Rasputina last night for the first time (they were the opening act at a show) and seemed very fortean.
Transylvanian Concubine
Signs of the Zodiac
Gingerbread Coffin, etc.

No lyrics but i was listening to Liszt's Mephisto Waltz earlier...fortean-ish and fantastic.

lopaka said:
They've been mentioned on this board before, though not on this thread: I heard/saw Rasputina last night for the first time (they were the opening act at a show) and seemed very fortean.
Transylvanian Concubine
Signs of the Zodiac
Gingerbread Coffin, etc.
They got used on Buffy once or twice, I beleive. And possibly Angel. My brother bought a heap of their albums because of that.

I'm a big fan of music, and electronica in particualar. I have a real fascination with the obscure, experimental and weird recesses that exist out there. There's music and other recordings that seems to verge on the Fortean, and in some circumstances on the unlistenable. Some bands/artists/whatever that I can think of that fit the bill - but I don't necessarily like are: Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Merzbow, Current 93, Aube, Cyclobe, Einsturzende Neubauten and collections such as 'The Ghost Orchid' an EVP compilation and the famous 'Conet Project' which is a collection of Numbers Stations.

Mine's just a fondness for the weird, but I have to wonder if there really are people who actually LIKE this stuff ;)

Is anyone else out there a fan of such High Musical Strangeness, and are there any interesting recommendations?

Ooooo there are plenty - I have foun dozens of songs about Cthulhu, for example.

I think my vote for most Fortean band might be "The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets":

http://www.holycow.com/thickets/

They are a bunch of Lovecraft obsessed loons who like dressing up in weird outfits onstage. See the reviews section for a good overview of what they do (like produce a soundtrack for an obscure German sci-fi show).

Emps

There is an earlier thread somewhere on this board about Fortean music...

Well, I actually ENJOY listening to many of the bands you mention, and have done for many years.

I'm currently really enjoying Mount Vernon Arts Lab - Musick that destroys itself; very fortean, and of course MVAL also released The Seance at Hobs Lane a while back. Which is ace.

Theres an interview with MVAL on the main site, BTW.
Oh, and also the recorded works and installations of Joe Banks/disinformation.

But I still think Psychic TVs 1984 Album Dreams Less Sweet is one of the most Fortean records ever.

Strange case of synchronicity - I just came across Mont Vernon Arts Lab the other day, and their new release on Eskaton. Do you have any album in particular of theirs to recommend? I really liked the look of 'One Minute Blasts Rising to Three and Then Diminishing', if only for the cover art. Buying their CD is obviously just Meant To Be. ;)

Cover art is something I often use as a guide to buying CDs. If it looks cool I bag it. Anyone else do that?

I do like listening to many of the bands I listed, but some such as the infamous Japanese noise bands do strike me as a rather odd phenomena. Perhaps it's because I have a slight phobia about loud noises.

Back