• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Experiences With The Ouija Board (IHTM)

A

Anonymous

OK, I have this one on oath from our kid...

About five years ago, my sister went to stay with a friend in Stockport. The friend had just bought an old planchette style board from a junk shop in the old Corn Exchange (pre bomb, obviously). They used this, producing the usual babble, then proceded to get drunk and go to kip.

Sis was woken up at around 3AM by a terrified friend. She couldn't work out what was up until - now, she swears this is true - she heard a noise dowstairs. Bear in mind, they were the only two people in the house...

The noise of the board. Moving. By. Itself.

The rest of the night was spent sitting up with a chair against the door. They took the thing back to the Corn Exchange next day.

The stall holder wasn't surprised; he said something to the effect that this was about the third time it had come back. He also said that he'd heard it move sometimes in the shop.

Hey, I know it all sounds fairly unlikely. But you should see the look on my sister's face if anyone ever suggests doing an Ouija board, even to this day...

Thats why you will never catch me using one, you never know what might happen. And if I had to be in a place with friends who used one then you would get me wearing silver jewellry and sprinkling salt round everyone in a circle.

lucydru

lucydru why would you wear silver i know to a few of you guy's this may be a bit of a stupid question but i dont quite understand
casio

Silver is used to protect the wearer from evil.

lucydru

lucydru said:

I've not heard of that one. I always thought it was iron that was protective.

Yeah, a suit of armour might do the trick. I think in folklore it's different metals for different things, isn't it, although I could be wrong?

Could end up looking like Mr. T if you're not careful.

Sorry - off topic but couldn't resist!

I've lived in plenty of places where it would have quite the opposite effect, especially late at night!

i did a seesion with a custom board and suddleny my mate's tv went off and a stature of the virgin mary had something which looked like candle wax on her face.we stopped playing because the candle we were using got to about 2 feet high

Cheesy Ouija!

When I was about 15, myself and a few friends decided to have a go at making a ouija 'board' with cut out letters on top of an upturned drawer. One of us decided that we should summon the 'spirit' by saying "Spirit of the glass, is there anybody there?", so we all tried and failed to say this without laughing! However, just as it seemed that nothing was going to happen, the glass slowly began to move. This stopped the giggling somewhat, and after we'd all muttered various expletives, we began asking questions. Most of what we asked was utterly dumb and I fail to remember the majority of it. All I do remember is that whatever it was said it was cold a lot and said something about being killed in a car crash! There was a hell of a lot more and one of our group was sat frantically writing everything down as it happened, but these notes, along with the letters themselves were burnt afterwards... Doh!

Anyway, after about an hour or so (at least, that's how it seemed at the time) of us incessantly interrogating our captive guest, things took a nasty turn. Without warning, the glass started to spell out the word 'death' repeatedly, over and over. Needless to say, we all freaked out. It sounds so cheesy now, but at the time, we seriously shat our pants! We apologised profusely, and after we asked if we were forgiven (for whatever we had done to upset it, which was most likely bore it's pants off!) for the fifteenth time, the glass, as slowly as you can imagine, moved to the word 'yes'. We cautiously granted ourselves a sigh of relief and asked it (ever so nicely) to leave and then burnt the evidence.

Since then, Dave, whose house we were in at the time, has said that while sleeping in that room he has seen things moving in the darkness. He's a pretty honest bloke, but after what had happened in there, he was most likely expecting to see something, or saw something entirely explainable that he put down to being associated with the ouija board.

We did do another a few weeks later, but only got gibberish which then claimed to be German (?!), and so we got bored with it and I haven't done one since. :rolleyes:

I & my family have had LOADS of experiences, good, bad and often downright fascinating, with the old ouija.
Once at school, aged about 14, I & three pals did a makeshift one with paper letters and a tumbler. The TV star Pete Duel had just died and of course we tried to contact him, asking for something inanimate to move as 'proof'. There was a moment's silence, then a chair in the corner began swivelling round toward us. We let out four big yells and stampeded for the door, scattering letters and tumbler and nearly breaking our necks in the rush.
More to follow, if anyone's interested.

protection

iron does protect you from faeries and the wee folk:cool:

ouija wonders

I remember when I was very young that my mum used to delve into the strange world of strangeness from time to time. She was always interested but there was always a friend she worked with whom new more about stuff than she. Now I found out that he was a young, tall gay guy who must of been about 23 at the time.
Now we'll fast forward to the next thing I remember which is my brother and I in the corridor of our old maisonette directly outside the front-room door and standing on lots of broken glass. The first thing that had occured to me was that I knew that I was in a very dangerous place and should be taken out of this glass strewn room, but as I am not then there must be some very strange things going on inside.
We shall now rewind to what happened in there with my mum which she told me later. She and her friend decided to have a ouija 'sesh' and see what happens. Now I don't think my mum would lie about something like this but she recalls, quite vehmently that she called up Hitler or someone also called Hitler. This meeting had them enduring, for quite some time mirrors being broken and things smashing all over the place, mondo carnage. It then later occured to them to ask it to leave but not before leaving the kids safely behind the other door in glass county.
Anyway I am unharmed psychologically and am also very adamant not to use the board, like ever unless I get very drunk and contract a bad case of the 'Stupids'
Thanks for reading my story.

Of the things that we managed to drag up three stood out.

We had the bloke on life support in hospital which was a new twist, and we also managed the aborted foetus of one of the sitters which was dramatic to say the least. The most impressive was the self confessed demon that threatened to kill me on the way home. It missed but I destroyed a perfectly good motorised bicycle and someone was down one very large black dog. No sense of humour these demons.

Tut , tut , tut.

Of all the spirits in all the world you folks decide to call up
a man on life support, an aborted foetus, a demon and
Adolf bloody Hitler!

Must aim higher. Faust conjured up Helen of Troy! :)

tinfoilpants said:
......and someone was down one very large black dog. No sense of humour these demons.

No, but obviously traditionalists :D

James Whitehead said:
Must aim higher. Faust conjured up Helen of Troy! :)

I'm not sure that I'd count a French transvestite as a roaring success. I'm sure our dismal failure was due to our poor home made equipment and lack of knowledge of the proper rituals. It must be dispiriting :eek: to be a supremely powerful ethereal confronted by a group of clueless oiks perched around a sheet of hardboard. In our defence though, the resident artist had decorated the board with impressive squiggles from a purloined book. I believe the author was Antonia Luvey. Might make a try for Faust, that'd really annoy him.

DerekH said:
No, but obviously traditionalists :D

There's nothing traditional about turning prized velocipedes into garden ornaments. ;)
Strangest thing was that the dog vanished. I t-boned it at about 40 and it was real enough to stop the bike more or less dead. I landed flat, so I was able to get straight up and the dog was gone. :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:
The other strange thing was that everyone I told was more concerned about the dog. 'Who's a cute little three headed hell spawn then...'

During my misspent youth a group of about eight of us would regularly have ouija sessions. I could bore you with all my stories about it, but it's a bit like listening to other people's LSD experiences so suffice it to say my flatmate went mad. What had happened was a bedside lamp shot across the room towards us, hit her on the arm and sent her screaming into the street. She was on tranquilisers for a very long time after that.

I'm not sure how it works (without going into the realms of the 'power of the human mind') but it certainly does work. I once summoned dear old Aleister Crowley and he said he didn't want to talk to me. Cheek! I wondered then if mindpower is all there is to it because, if that was the case, I'd have had a lovely conversation with the old Crow.

Ouija Fun

As a teenager I used to take part in regular ouija board sessions and would not be able to share a single scary story with you.

(Unless you consider being given a bad tip for the result of the 1990 World Cup (Argentina????) - with which I confidently lost money on in a number of bets with friends.)

But, not a single flying object, smashing glass or deranged participator.

So, bad betting tips aside, I would definitely say that my experience with ouija boards was a great deal of fun and therefore a "good" experience.

About contacting 'live' people-
My brother was doin the weejee thang miles from home one day, when it seemed that a very confused individual suddenly came through. It spelt out, very fast, a slightly unusual nickname, and asked repeatedly 'Where am I? what am I doing here? How did I get here?' and so on, apparently in a great panic. What bowled over Little Bro was that the nickname was that of our maternal grandmother, who at that time was in the grip of advanced Alzheimer's and was in the habit of nodding off twenty times a day.
Bro rang home: was Nana, er, OK, like??? She was, and had been sat up asleep by the fire all afternoon. Brrr.

oh dear

After sitting our GCSE's a few years ago a group of mates and myself decided to spend a couple of weeks in fog enveloped St Ives in the heart of the mysterious and magical Cornish countryside. After a few, ahem, refreshments - we constructed our own ouija board and asked for the spirits to speak to us - and what we got was..................... whisky, vodka, gin :D

sorry :eek:

I've not done this, and I wouldn't if you paid me, but from people I have spoken to who know a lot about it you do contact something through a ouija board, but what it is you contact is very unlikely to be who it claims to be. I seem to remember that Poltergeist actually had quite a lot on this, but I have read more than I recall, so it may be some other book altogether.

Yeh, it's like anything 'occult' really. If you're superstitious or religious at all things like the ouija can really mess with yer mind.

We had one ouija session where one chap's recently deceased mother 'came through'. He was having a nice little chat then decided to test her by asking her maiden name. The board then spelt out 'I am the devil 666'. We never saw him again.

Another wierd event was the board repeatedly asking to speak to 'Tucker'. This was a friend of ours who had drunk himself into a stupor and was lying in a corner of the room at the time!

We always had one person writing everything that was spelt out as, often, the pointer would move too fast for us to read immediately. We'd all shout out the letters as they were pointed at and the writer would then tell us the message. With at least half a dozen of us at the board at any one time messages came through thick and fast. Some bizarre, some truthful and some downright sinister. However, as a bit of a Colin Wilson fan in those days I was always positive that it was the combination of our 'mindpower' (whatever that may be!) that caused the effect.

Most of these people have gone on to lead terrible lives. Of the ten of us I recall using the board the most two had breakdowns, two died of overdoses and three became heroin addicts. This may not be anything to do with the ouija necessarily. More an indication of the types of people drawn to using the ouija perhaps. It takes a strong mind, though, to NOT believe what you're seeing.

Ouija Story

Myself and a friend did the Ouija on Halloween about 10 years ago and got Mr Crowley.

The odd thing was we had the book of lies and without looking would flick to a page face down and ask for the title/or first line of the page.

It repeatidly got it correct which was rather unnerving

as an unashamed ouija user in my teens - despite having been expressly told to leave them alone by a friends spiritualist mum!! - i had quite a few varied experiences.

the one that stands out most is the occassion when, whilst at a friends house (who was also quite a dabbler) i had my fingertips burnt and was thrown backwards against a wall.
scared the living daylights outta me at the time!!

:eek!!!!:

no permanent damage and i continued to use them until my early 20's when as usual beer, men, clubbing and eermm..the usual took over

I had a good and a bad experience with a ouija piece of A-4 paper and a glass.
Good was that we kept chatting for ages, switched lights on, were able to write down the answers and have general breaks. It was all really friendly and what was said is an entirely different fortean story. Anyway, then the glass went all of a sudden from midsentence to the "start" field ( a circle we had drawn around the glass at the beginning). So we knew that was that.
But as it is, we had so much fun, we decided to give it another go.
Stupid!
The thing that answered then seemed totally bonkers, not giving proper answers, going to xzyjfdssg etc. and nearly going off the table, balancing on the edge so far that it should have fallen but then went back on...
Anyway, it was very bad and we decided to say "bye", closed down properly and stopped.
Unfortunately we couldn't destroy the glass as my friends mum didn't have much money, so we washed it out accompanied by some positive spells.
Then we went to bed.
All night long I kept dreaming about faces that mingled like smoke, sort of like "The Scream".
When all of a sudden a voice said:"Don't mess with things you don't understand!"
Now when I say voice, I wan't you to imagine the most evil voice you ever heard in a movie and time that by 10! I swear it sounded like the Lord of the underworld himself!
I was so scared but forced myself to wake my friend who slept next to me. I shook her but she didn't move, then I screamed at her because I thought she was dead. But she answered. In a very low voice she told me through her teeth:"Stop that, I AM awake and have been since the voice..."
"What voice?" I asked and she told me exactly what I had heard.

Needless to say, we got up and even though it was the middle of the night, we cooked spaghetty and waited for dawn before going to bed again...

Oija, a message from beyond!

I remember playing with a board that my Mother had drawn up, just a glass and the letters written on a board.

This spirit came on calling himself "Zombie", and told us about a pit disaster and that he had been buiried in a colapse. He then told us of a spark and a fire ball going up and down the pit, and 60 men injured.

The last thing it said before leaving the board was "Don't dig me up but Gerry Duffy might!"

Gerry Duffy lived upstairs from us and he was a Miner.

We thought nothing more of it until a couple of weeks latter there was an accident at Cardowen coallery as described above, and Gerry was badly burnt, fighting for his life in intensive care.

I dont think I need any more proof on that subject, I'm never going to touch one again.

tinfoilpants said:
Of the things that we managed to drag up three stood out.

We had the bloke on life support in hospital which was a new twist, and we also managed the aborted foetus of one of the sitters which was dramatic to say the least. The most impressive was the self confessed demon that threatened to kill me on the way home. It missed but I destroyed a perfectly good motorised bicycle and someone was down one very large black dog. No sense of humour these demons.

Myself and a friend used to do the board years ago. It started by telling us things that weren't know, things that I didn't know about my family. Anyway we would get a variety people, some funny, some really upset. Once we supposedly got sleeping children, they started telling us about their lives, nothing earth shattering.

After a while we got a spirit who decided to make my friends life a misery. We would sit in her room and watch things moving around. We'd hear and see strange things. After all this I came to a conclusion that using the board is a bit like opening your front door, shouting "everyone is welcome" and then being suprised when your home becomes full with the more unsavioury members of society.

Donna Black said:
I once summoned dear old Aleister Crowley and he said he didn't want to talk to me. Cheek! I wondered then if mindpower is all there is to it because, if that was the case, I'd have had a lovely conversation with the old Crow.

That's funny, I had a lovely chat with him, or someone who claimed to have been him, on the board. ;) Perhaps he was busy talking to me?

ouijas....stay away if youve got any sense

When I was 16, me and a load of freinds met up and played around with a board that we copied out of some book. We had a good laugth, we didnt take it seriously. Most of what was "said" was just us pushing the glass around to scare each other. It was all just kids tomfoolery with nothing really spooky.

A while later, whilst my freinds family were on holiday, we all met up again at his house for a seance/party ( this time with the magic ingredient for a good teenage party....girls). The atmosphere was different for a start, it was definately weirder to those "playing" on the board. We asked who was going to die first, the board spelled out a freinds name. We all laugthed nervously at the big joke. We then asked if any of us would be involved in any bad accidents. The board spelt my name and the word "mart". It just wasnt fun and we never did it again.

Ok, so you know whats coming but Im not prepared to accept (the bad atmosphere was tangible) that it was coincidence. I had a big crash on a motorbike two years later right outside the premises of Walsall Bike Mart, a motorbike dealers who I had been visiting. This was the first time any of our little social group had been seriously hurt. My freind who was told he'd be the first to die was diagnosed with terminal cancer of the liver and bile duct this july. All true. Stay away from playing around with stuff like that. Read all you can on it if it interests you but dont mess.

Back