• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nahuelito: Argentinian Lake Monster

Looks very small. Like a model almost.

Hmmm. I'm thinking partially submerged dead branch.

Very obvious fake with a small model. It hasn't moved at all between the two photographs, just got slightly more submerged with the head/neck "frozen" in exactly the same position. The head looks ridiculously small, the mouth unnatural and the "loopy" undulations nothing like any possible real animal.

Also the shape of the "waves" in the foreground give a very strong sense of scale to me that this is an extremely small object - IMO no more than a foot long...

I could probably take a "lake monster" photo as good as that with a bit of plasticine, a puddle and my camera phone...

nataraja said:
I could probably take a "lake monster" photo as good as that with a bit of plasticine, a puddle and my camera phone...

Up for a (small-scale) challenge?

Lake monster hoax challenge?

Hmmm, good idea - the statement was somewhat rhetorical, ie i hadn't seriously thought of doing it, but i'm tempted...

Unfortunately i have no idea how to upload pics to a website tho - i can take them and send them to phones, but that's about it...

I'd also need to get some "proper" modelling plasticine, which i think is fairly expensive, and i'm unlikely to have time during daylight hours to go looking for a good pond/puddle to put it in any time soon... but it could be fun...

Tbh i reckon this "Nahuelito" pic was probably someone's attempt at a similar "joke pic" which some gullible person took seriously ;)

Do they have a gift shop near this lake? Because the model in that photo looks like something you could buy there.

You see more convincing monsters in "Simulacra Corner" every month! The fact that the waves immediately in front of the object are out-of-focus, whilst the rest of the image is sharpish, suggests an object photographed from close up at the widest possible lense aperture. The photographer should have thought a little more about depth-of-field issues before trying to pass this off as a giant creature.

Of course, it could be a baby creature that just looks like a tree branch, but my money is on the opposite being true.

I like the idea of a "fake your own monster" thread! Maybe we could have a photography section, with a new challenge every month. I mean, even I have worked out how to upload my own photos, so there must be hundreds of us who would give that a go!

Aren't there enough fake Fortean photos around as it is?

In my reckoning, "lake monsters" do not exist. Nobody has provided substantial proof of any of them around the world. Even the most famous of them all, Nessie, has not been proven. Pictures are either fakes, or have a good explanation like waves etc..

Though I wish that some of them were real. Imagine the excitement of someone finding a live Pleiseosaur??? The world would be buzzing!

What I find more intriguing are the Yeti, Sasquatch, and other bipedal stories/sighting reports. Remember that there are still areas of the world that have not been fully explored, that people are finding new species on an almost daily basis.This month's magazine FT209:38 is testament to that fact.

Haaaaaaaaa ...... I almost fell off my chair when I saw those pics. :shock:

Can't be much longer than 2-3 meters, whatever it is.

If thats a real lake monster, it's a very rubbish one.

Nature dealt it a cr@p hand, poor thing.

Breathing a good lake monster's air, I reckon. ;)

It appears to be in the wake of the boat that appears in the distance.
Ehh the footage is from fishermen and they're speaking of seeing a scaly thing, so I dunno, experienced fishermen might know the difference between a wake and a weird thing. They could be lying for likes of course.

Ehh the footage is from fishermen and they're speaking of seeing a scaly thing, so I dunno, experienced fishermen might know the difference between a wake and a weird thing. They could be lying for likes of course.
I apologize for not being clear. I didn't say it was the wake, I said it was in the boat's wake.

What do you reckon:

www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/nahuelito-pix/

Too good to be true? Best evidence yet?

Personally I say fake.

Disregarding technicalities like the relative size of the object, blurriness and proximity to the camera, the object looks blatantly and immediately fake to me; the angle of the neck and head, their size and relation to the rest of the visible parts of the thing and that it just looks immobile and lumpen. I'm aware I'm not contributing much and no one here is saying it's real but I think it's just worth pointing out that even untrained and inexperienced eye like mine has a feel for what an image of an actual living animal looks like. Of course our eyes can be deceived too but I don't think it's the case here.

Footage from Nahuel Huapi Lake, Argentina reputed to show the resident lake creature 'Nahuelito'. The footage doesn't look like much to me, but then I've never seen a lake monster in person, so what would I know?

Uploaded to YouTube on June 2:

Footage from Nahuel Huapi Lake, Argentina reputed to show the resident lake creature 'Nahuelito'. The footage doesn't look like much to me, but then I've never seen a lake monster in person, so what would I know?

Uploaded to YouTube on June 2:

Looks like sweet FA to me.

Back