• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Good Read: Book Suggestions & Recommendations

Strange & Dangerous Dreams

0898869870.jpg

I recently finished reading this and, although the psychology angle is lightweight and underdeveloped, the tales themselves (a mixture world-famous and virtually unknown) are fascinating and well told. Good reading for bedtime as you can finish one per night. (Oh, and for Thelematic folks there's some interesting discussion of Crowley's climbing career - hence him making the cover.)

Synopsis:

Adventurers are among the world's most celebrated heroes, but cross a line and potential glory can become derision, madness and death. This title explores the darker psychological drama behind the exploits of eleven adventurers, famous and lesser-known. It is written by a practicing clinical psychologist. The accounts include heretofore unpublished information provided by archival witnesses, friends, and family. Every culture, in every era, has its adventure myths: The golden hero willing to walk through fire elevates us all beyond our fears and limits. But more often than readily seen, there are darker reasons for dangerous pursuits. Where does the fall line between adventure and madness? Geoff Powter, a practicing clinical psychologist, looks into the stories of eleven troubled adventurers, divided into three categories: The Burdened, The Bent, and The Lost. Polar explorer Robert Falcon Scott has been called a "willing martyr" ready to die for the mystical deliverance of adventure. Meriwether Lewis, convinced that he had failed to achieve the objectives set by mentor and father figure, Thomas Jefferson, died by his own hand. Maurice Wilson's plan for climbing Everest included deliberately crashing his plane as high as possible on the mountain. Jean Batten was a remarkably driven early aviator whose clothes and make-up were always more perfect than her flying technique. Polar balloonist, Solomon Andree was certain that his rigorous understanding of scientific principles would overcome any challenge posed by nature or equipment failure. Aleister Crowley, a brilliant mountaineer who founded the Golden Dawn cult, was labeled pathologically, and even fatally, arrogant. In each of these stories, darkness of some kind - ambition, ego, a thirst for redemption, the need to please others - carried these characters in a perilous direction. In the end, understanding these difficult but utterly human stories helps us comprehend the deepest purpose and allure of adventure, and, ultimately, to more honestly measure ourselves.

HERE

edit: it's also a rather nicely bound and stylishly printed book - for those of you who care for such things.

I know there's probably already a thread on this somewhere, but I've just finished reading the 'new' Tolkein novel , The Children of Hurin. It was amazing- from the moment I started it , I just couldn't put it down , and so managed to read it in a few hours (I'm going to re-read it again soon).

Elizabeth Knox's two-volume story Dreamhunter/Dreamquake has its stylistic glitches but takes some well-worn fantasy tropes - specifically the magic of dreams, and golems - and does some surprising things with them. The most surprising thing she does with golems is so integral to the structure of the story that I can't even tell you what it is. The characters, villains and good guys, are just the right amount of complex; for all the times you want to slap the heroine, you always grasp where she's coming from, and the depiction of the difficulties the good guys have in all getting faced in the same direction and focused on the same goal, even though they all want the same thing and remain a solid family unit, are beautifully depicted. Just enough alternate world-building (early twentieth-century New Zealand, though it calls itself Southland) and a nice little knot tying off the climax.

Plus - drugs, debutantes, convicts, a sand golem, and one slyly-slipped in, seriously weird marital relationship.

PeniG said:
I just finished Everlost, by Neal Shusterman. A favorite author of mine, but all the same I was surprised at my degree of blown-awayness.

I would recommend this to anyone. Superb book. Thanks for posting it Peni

This review is from World Wide Words:
Book Review: Brave New Words
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Only a couple of weeks ago, British scientists were reported to be
working on a force field to protect astronauts from radiation on
the space station and space shuttle, on interplanetary journeys or
while working in the projected NASA moonbase. We take such language
in our stride these days, when science-fictional concepts seem to
become reality almost month by month. But if you go back more than
a couple of generations, words like these were mainly the preserve
of people who wrote and read science fiction.

This book is a pure dictionary, albeit with a few mini-essays on
aspects of SF vocabulary; each entry is supported by a number of
example citations, just as in the Oxford English Dictionary. Here
you will find hyperspace, organlegger, phaser, ramscoop, spacesuit,
Dyson sphere, generation ship, terraforming, holodeck and hundreds
of other terms familiar to SF readers and viewers, plus a lot that
are less so, even to those well-read in the field. Also included
are abbreviations like BDO (Big Dumb Object), a mysterious object
of alien origin found somewhere out there (think of the monolith in
Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey) and BEM (Bug-Eyed Monster), any
stereotypical alien creature of hideous form created through
authorial imagination to terrify and fascinate. The genres of SF
are here, too, such as cyberpunk, new wave, slipstream and
steampunk. It also includes the vocabulary of people who engage in
SF fandom (fan activities), who attend cons (conventions), who
compose and sing filk songs (folk songs with SF leanings, a name
borrowed from a misprint), take FIAWOL as their motto (Fandom Is A
Way Of Life) and are gutted when they have to fafiate (from FAFIA,
Forced Away From It All), leave the world of cons and fans and
return to mundania, the mundane everyday world.

Cross-fertilisation between SF and the real world of technology and
science has been so great that it is often difficult to know where
the stimulus for a term has come from. Was it created within the SF
field and subsequently widened its appeal, or did SF writers take
over and build upon an existing term? It would be good to have this
made clearer in the text at times, at least where we know for sure.

"Hyperspace", for example, is correctly glossed to point out that
it was a term in mathematics long before SF writers got their hands
on it. On the other hand, "completist" is dated to an SF source of
1944, eleven years before the OED's first example, so seems to be a
term of SF origin; likewise "gas giant" (a very large planet made
largely from gaseous material) appears in an SF context 13 years
before the first citation in the OED's entry, which was drafted as
recently as 2006 (respect to editor Jeff Prucher and his team for
that one). "Insectoid" looks like a word that has been around for
centuries, but turns out to have been first used in an SF work by
Olaf Stapledon as recently as 1937. Casual readers, however, might
be confused by the inclusion of an entry on "gadget" and assume
it's a term of SF origin, first noted from 1942, whereas it was
popularised by Rudyard Kipling in 1904 and is actually a sailors'
term going back at least as far as 1886.

The choice of entries seems somewhat eclectic. Some words that you
might think are SF-oriented enough to be here are absent, such as
"astronaut", no doubt because it was created in the mainstream
astronautics field rather than SF (also omitted are related terms
such as "astroengineering", though others like "astrogation" are
in). But "space station" isn't here either, although it was first
recorded, in the genre, in the 1930s; nor is "space habitat" (often
just "habitat"), an artificial world; this might be a spinning
hollowed-out asteroid or an artefact of similar type constructed
from scratch, like Babylon Five (they're called O'Neill cylinders
after their inventor, Gerard K O'Neill, another unglossed term).
"Kryptonite" is absent, alas, as is H G Wells's gravity-blocking
material "cavorite". And why does "COA" (change of address) merit
an entry? Clarke's laws are included, each separately glossed and
listed under the name of their creator, the British SF and science
writer Sir Arthur C Clarke, the most famous being his Third Law
("any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic"). But where are Isaac Asimov's more famous three laws of
robotics? They appear in no entry, neither under his name nor under
"robot" or its derivatives (ah, there they are, briefly mentioned
in passing on page 125).

It's easy to nitpick. This is a pioneering attempt to record the
vocabulary of the field; it's one which is notoriously difficult to
cover because of the number of neologisms for imaginative concepts
that writers are forced to invent, or take joy in inventing. Jeff
Prucher and his readers have scoured the literature for the early
history of the genre's language. If you're interested in the back-
story of SF, this is a reference work you will want to own.

[Jeff Prucher, Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science
Fiction; ISBN-13 978-0-19530567-8, ISBN-10 0195305671; hardback,
pp342; published by Oxford University Press, USA on 1 May 2007;
publisher's price US$29.95.]

AMAZON PRICES FOR THIS BOOK
Amazon UK: GBP13.53 http://quinion.com?S84F
Amazon USA: US$19.77 http://quinion.com?S15F
Amazon Canada: CDN$22.02 http://quinion.com?S67F
Amazon Germany: EUR28,75 http://quinion.com?S32F
[Please use these links to buy. They get World Wide Words a small
commission at no extra cost to you.]

I have enjoyed The Repairman Jack novels by F Paul Wilson over the last few years. Good action, well written ,and some Fortean and occult story lines .

Just finished reading Robert Harris's Imperium, on the rise to power of Cicero. Proof if proof were needed that there's nothing new under the sun, especially in politics. Good book, though it could have been written in a hundred pages less.

I read a lot of e-books that I download from the Internet so I'm not up-to-date. But recently I've enjoyed:

THOMAS PYNCHON
V. - A Novel

The nude body was surprisingly young. The skin healthy-looking. Somehow we'd all thought of the Bad Priest as an older person. At her navel was a star sapphire. The boy with the knife picked at the stone. It would not come away. He dug in with the point of the bayonet, working for a few minutes before he was able to bring out the sapphire. Blood had begun to well in its place.

Other children crowded round her head. One pried her jaws apart while another removed a set of false teeth. She did not struggle: only closed her eyes and waited.

But she could not even keep them closed. For the children peeled back one eyelid to reveal a glass eye with the iris in the shape of a clock. This, too, they removed.

I wondered if the disassembly of the Bad Priest might not go on, and on, into evening. Surely her arms and breasts could be detached; the skin of her legs be peeled away to reveal some intricate understructure of silver openwork. Perhaps the trunk itself contained other wonders: intestines of parti-coloured silk, gay balloon-lungs, a rococo heart.

And these books are quite original and entertaining, although just a bit too slow for my taste (I wish there was 10% less words used, then it would be great).

The Dresden Files
Fool Moon
By Jim Butcher

Outside the battered old police-building downtown, I pulled the baseball cap a little lower over my eyes, and drank the blending potion ...

A sort of grey feeling came over me, and I realized with a start that the colors were fading from my vision. A sort of listless feeling came over me, a lassitude that advised me to sit down somewhere and watch the world go by, but at the same time the hairs on the back of my neck prickled up as the potion's magic took effect.

I took a deep breath and walked up the stairs of the building with my bucket and my "mop," pulled open the doors, and went inside. ...

The solid old matron of a sergeant sat at the front desk, thumbing through a glossy magazine, a portrait done in colorless hues. She glanced up at me for a second, and tinges of color returned to her uniform, her cheeks, and her eyes. She looked me over casually, sniffed, and lowered her face to her magazine again. As her attention faded, so did the colors from her clothing and skin. My perceptions of her changed as she paid attention to me or did not.

I felt my face stretch in a victorious smile. The potion had worked. I was inside.

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving:

I only read this novel recently, and wish I had found it sooner it's just a fabulous book.

The novel is told through the eyes of an older, very much matured John Wheelwright who elaborates on the events surrounding his teenage friendship during the 1950s and 1960s with Owen Meany, whom John credits as being the reason he believes in God. Owen is disproportionately short and his voicebox is fixed so that he sounds as if he is always screaming. Owen's short stature makes him the butt of many jokes and pranks but not in a typical bullying manner. Children and adults alike seem drawn to Owen, almost protective of him. Owen is also the recipient of many special privileges, such as getting to play the baby Jesus in a Christmas pageant because he is the only actor who can fit in the crib and not cry.

The novel deals with several lofty spiritual issues, such as the importance of faith, social justice, and fate. John and Owen both offer criticisms of some aspects of organized religion and the hypocrisy of some religious people throughout the novel. The spiritual dimension is also emphasized by Owen's repeated foretelling of his own impending death. He is quite certain that his death will be the result of his being an "instrument of God", that his death will serve some good purpose. He even believes that he knows the date of his death, and that an heroic act on his part will kill him, but also save some children. He is a bit unclear, however, about where it will happen.

The narrative is constructed as the interweaving of three different stories of the interwoven lives of John and Owen.

Young John is skeptical of Owen's unquestioned belief in the purpose of all things for several reasons, namely, his mother's premature death (as the result of the impact of a baseball hit by Owen), and his mother's failure ever to disclose his father's identity. John is depicted as being spiritually apathetic as a youth, but the conclusion brings these spiritual pieces of the story together. Since the novel is written retrospectively, much of the novel takes the tone of John's newfound wisdom.

http://www.answers.com/topic/a-prayer-for-owen-meany?

Has anyone else read "Quicksilver" by Neal Stephenson?

It is the first part of the "Baroque Cycle", this volume alone stretches over 900 pages, apparently the entire trilogy spans 3000!

I started it last night, only about thirty or so pages in so far, but I think I'm hooked alredy...

After much time and some international shipping i finished making my way through Yukio Mishima's Sea of Ferility Tetraology, namely:

Spring Snow
Runaway Horses
The Temple of Dawn
The Decay of the Angel

The first two are breathtaking and the last 3 have endings which metaphorically punch you in the face in very different ways. The third book is the weak link due to an overly scholarly discussion of Buddhist Metaphysics and ideas of reincarnation but - within the series - it isn't intolerable. The last page of the whole series was just utterly, utterly unseen and marvellous. Recommended for those with the patience and dedication.

CarlosTheDJ said:

It is the first part of the "Baroque Cycle", this volume alone stretches over 900 pages, apparently the entire trilogy spans 3000!

I started it last night, only about thirty or so pages in so far, but I think I'm hooked alredy...

Weirdly, I came to this thread specifically to recommend this book. I finished it a couple of weeks ago and have the second part of cycle on my shelf ready and waiting. I wanted something lighter to read as a buffer between the first and second books so I'm half way through Adrian Tinniswood's By Permission of Heaven - The Story of the Great Fire of London.

I can really recommend Quicksilver to anyone who enjoyed Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. It's a far more dense read than Jonathan Strange... but has some great historical writing and is very rich in detail and atmosphere. Some very strong fictitious characters who act as historical glue around some very well known figures like Newton, Hooke etc., etc. No non-fiction history book has every given me such a feel or interest for this time period as this particular book.

There are small parts where my interest wained slightly, but that was more because of a shift in the format of the story and, considering the size of the book which had me genuinely gripped for most of it, it's only a very small gripe.

Carlos, apparently if you need more about Enoch Root and how all this eventually plays out, you can add Stephenson's Cryptonomicon's 900 pages on top of the 3000 of the Baroque Cycle. It seems this book - which came before the Baroque Cycle - covers Bletchley Park/WWII and the present day.

jefflovestone said:
CarlosTheDJ said:

Weirdly, I came to this thread specifically to recommend this book. I finished it a couple of weeks ago and have the second part of cycle on my shelf ready and waiting. I wanted something lighter to read as a buffer between the first and second books so I'm half way through Adrian Tinniswood's By Permission of Heaven - The Story of the Great Fire of London.

I can really recommend Quicksilver to anyone who enjoyed Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. It's a far more dense read than Jonathan Strange... but has some great historical writing and is very rich in detail and atmosphere. Some very strong fictitious characters who act as historical glue around some very well known figures like Newton, Hooke etc., etc. No non-fiction history book has every given me such a feel or interest for this time period as this particular book.

There are small parts where my interest wained slightly, but that was more because of a shift in the format of the story and, considering the size of the book which had me genuinely gripped for most of it, it's only a very small gripe.

Carlos, apparently if you need more about Enoch Root and how all this eventually plays out, you can add Stephenson's Cryptonomicon's 900 pages on top of the 3000 of the Baroque Cycle. It seems this book - which came before the Baroque Cycle - covers Bletchley Park/WWII and the present day.

Excellent!

The more the better!

The Earth-Children Series by Jean M Auel. It starts with The Clan of the Cave Bear but it hasn't finished yet so you might want to read slowly.
My absolute favourite series, although I find that sometimes a sub-plot will take a little too long to wrap up.

i've been shopping for travel reading and think i found a bargain with 100 years of Solitude in an unread paperback for 79p.

Also on my packing pile are Fahrenheit 451, which is surprisingly slim but cost only 40p and Mishima's The Sound of Waves.

A question. Where's the best place to start with Kipling's fiction if i've read The Jungle Book, The Just So Stories, Puck of Pook Hill, and some assorted poetry? I saw a copy of The Man Who Would Be King and have fond memories of the film as a sunday-afternoon staple...

The Owl Service by Alan Garner.
Recently re-read this sixties kids classic. Polts, haunting, class war, neurosis, coming of age, repressed sexuality, all played out against the conceit of a hidden dinner service. Great stuff.

colpepper1 said:
The Owl Service by Alan Garner.
Recently re-read this sixties kids classic. Polts, haunting, class war, neurosis, coming of age, repressed sexuality, all played out against the conceit of a hidden dinner service. Great stuff.

Agree completely. I've enjoyed reading most all his novels.

If someone could recommend me some good books on British folklore/urban legends it'd be greatly appreciated :)

I've ordered a nice old paperback edition of Under Western Eyes by Joseph Conrad. I'm not going to receive it for a week or two but i wondered if anyone else was into his work. Personally, i've read Heart of Darkness, Lord Jim, and The Secret Agent and my admiration has continued to grow. His paragraphs - for that is his basic unit it seems - are just... immaculate. Dense but flowing with shaded inference glinting from every carefully placed word.

When you consider that English was his third language, and he didn't learn it until 23 (IIRC) - well, he's just absurdly talented.

No big spoilers please.

And following Stu's advice, i shall also be ordering Lolita soon.

theyithian said:
I've ordered a nice old paperback edition of Under Western Eyes by Joseph Conrad. I'm not going to receive it for a week or two but i wondered if anyone else was into his work.

I may have mentioned this before but one of the most surreal (and unpleasant) episodes of my entire life involved reading virtually the whole of Heart of Darkness wrapped in a sleeping bag on a campsite toilet in Spean Bridge, Scotland. For over a week I'd been wild camping in the Highlands - no hot and cold, no showers, no toilet block - and I was fine. Fit as a butchers dog in fact. And then as a bit of a rest I decided to immerse myself in the untold luxuries of a proper campsite only to be infected with a horrendous and incredibly virulent stomach bug which been loosed on the whole place by a sick family of tourists. I'm not going to indulge in cheap innuendo by telling you what nationality said tourists were....but they were German.

After an hour or two the toad who'd been creeping under the door to stare at me every ten minutes or so disappeared, only to arrive ten minutes later with a friend. By the end of the night I was reading excerpts out loud to a audience of four or five very attentive toads. The horror!

I've read it. I've read it. I've read it. I've read it. I've read it. I've read it.

_Gnomey_ said:
LaurenChurchill said:
For my 21st this year my best friend bought me this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lore-Land-Eng...ref=tag_prf_item_edpp_ttl/103-0544471-0091067

Fantastic book. I owe her big-time for this one.
That looks like precisely the type of book I'm after, cheers!...

I was lucky enough to pick up a new hardback copy of this so cheaply I virtually ran out of the shop with it in case they realised they'd made a mistake and changed their mind.

If you like this book you might also want to try and hunt down a second-hand copy of the satisfyingly big and chunky Readers Digest publication, Folklore, Myths and Legends of Britain. I think it's out of print now but it turns up regularly at second-hand bookshops and book-fairs and I'm sure you'd find a copy on the internet somewhere. Like the Westwood and Simpson book it's geared towards more traditional areas of folklore rather than the region of urban legends - but definitely worth a perusal if you're interested.

the satisfyingly big and chunky Readers Digest publication, Folklore, Myths and Legends of Britain.

I had a copy of this from a car booty and posted it off to a FTMB member last year. It went to a good home. :D

You're right - it often turns up second-hand and is a wonderful book.

Yeah I've been keeping my eye out for that one for a while now. Can't remember where I heard of it. I think I'll have to do some more garage saleing before I find it.
Oh, what a pity ;)

"Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson, my new favourite author.

Gibsonesque dystopic futureshock madness.

Back