• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Underground (Miscellaneous: Tunnels, Roads, Bunkers Etc.)

The village I live in (Great Hampden, Bucks) was the home of Civil War Ship Tax-dodger John Hampden and a regular haunt of Oliver Cromwell.

There is allegedly a tunnel running from the tavern next door to my house through to Hampden House about a mile away.

Also RAF Strike Command is a mile or so further on in the other direction and I often wonder how far that sprawls underground.

Further to that Chequers is just a few miles in the other direction and Ive always assumed that there is an underground train line from Chequers to RAF Strike Command and then onwards into central London. Probably my imagination but I believe this mystery train line exists!

JamesWhitehead said:
http://society.guardian.co.uk/communities/story/0,,1839538,00.html

After 40 years' burrowing, Mole Man of Hackney is ordered to stop

Paul Lewis
Tuesday August 8, 2006
The Guardian

From the outside, the house that stands at 121 Mortimer Road in Hackney, east London, looks no different to the thousands of other decrepit old buildings scattered across the country. The roof has caved in. Three of the windows are boarded up and cracked paint peels from the wrinkled walls
'Mole man' handed £283,000 repair bill
Last Updated: 1:26am BST 15/04/2008

A retired engineer, who spent 40 years excavating tunnels underneath his home, has been ordered to pay £283,000 for repairs that saved his house from collapse.

William Lyttle's 20-bedroom Victorian property in Hackney, east London, was supported in some areas by nothing more than "household appliances" and ceilings had collapsed.

Mr Lyttle, 77, know as "mole man", put cars, boats and other items into holes he dug.

Mr Lyttle was evicted by Hackney council in 2006 to enable workmen to save the house, a neighbour's property and the pavement, which had also been burrowed under.

At the High Court on Monday Mr Lyttle was ordered to pay the council for the repairs and £10,000 in legal costs.

An injunction was imposed on Mr Lyttle to prevent him undoing any of the repair work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ole115.xml

The Times adds:

Simon Butler, representing the council, said in his written submissions that Mr Lyttle had used assorted items such as a fridge-freezer and a bath to prop up portions of his home. “There were poles which had been used to prop sections of floor, which were clearly bowing out of vertical due to the excessive load which the building had been subjected to,” he wrote.

“Mr Lyttle had extended below the existing basement to the property and mined the two main garden areas. He had also undermined and cut away at the foundation of the neighbouring property.”

Mr Butler said Mr Lyttle was ordered by Thames Magistrates Court to take down or repair the house in May 2006, but failed to comply, and the council moved in to undertake the work.

He told the court: “Mr Lyttle has been obstructive, has issued numerous applications in the County Court and the Royal Courts of Justice over the last five years, and has caused the council to incur unnecessary expenses abating a nuisance he has created, because he fails to use his land in a reasonable manner.”

Mr Lyttle, who defended himself in court, was given 14 days to pay.

Judge McKenna, giving his judgment, said the costs bills were reasonable.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/p ... 746297.ece

rynner said:
JamesWhitehead said:
http://society.guardian.co.uk/communities/story/0,,1839538,00.html

After 40 years' burrowing, Mole Man of Hackney is ordered to stop

Mr Lyttle was evicted by Hackney council in 2006 to enable workmen to save the house, a neighbour's property and the pavement, which had also been burrowed under.

At the High Court on Monday Mr Lyttle was ordered to pay the council for the repairs and £10,000 in legal costs.

An injunction was imposed on Mr Lyttle to prevent him undoing any of the repair work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ole115.xml
Somebody should have put his work forward, as a candidate for the Turner Prize.

It would have been right up the judges' alley. :rofl:

JT Colfax is a weird but sympathetic artist and he has made some quite striking videos about the drain beneath his house, you can find a few here:

This is relatively ordinary video:

Nielsen Ratings Diary filled out in a storm drain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhIXZC9dZIQ

This gets weirder:

I have been in this HOLE (wait for the audio comment - really amazing!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RtaPzRoSb0

And this is my favorite one:

Dam You Suck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD3ijJydpmM

Enjoy :shock:

From the Brighton & Hove Argus

(Southwick Tunnel is on the A27 between Hove and Worthing.)

Southwick Tunnel is "secret military installation"

2:07pm Friday 22nd August 2008

A top secret missile bunker could be located within Southwick Tunnel, it has been claimed.

The 490 metre tunnel, opened in 1996, is an entrance point to the installation, experts believe.

Some even think the closure of the tunnel during crashes or at regular periods for "maintenance" could be a cleverly constructed lie to allow senior officials access to the bunker.

The claims will be quickly dismissed by many, but there is a growing number of people who think it is true.

Worthing-based author Graham Lelliott, who has researched bunkers and military installations across Sussex, certainly believes it could be true.

He said: "It could have been kept secret.

"Inside the tunnel, in both directions are many doors - where do they go - into electrical switchrooms - or into the bunker?

"I work nearby and the amount of times the tunnel is closed at night.

"Wouldn't this be a great chance for government personnel to change shifts or restock on food for the canteen?

"The tunnel is often closed due to an accident. The headline often reads "Two cars collide in tunnel' but maybe it should say 'Nuclear bunker shift change over."

Whether the claims are true or not, what is certain is there are at least three other military bunkers near Southwick Tunnel.

All of them are now abandoned but were likely to have been used during the 1960s and 1970s, possibly as shelters in the event of a nuclear blast.

Stuart Strong remembers seeing one in use. He said: "As a ten year old playing on the Downs at the top of Kingston Lane, in Southwick, I was conscious of a secret underground bunker there.

"I would regularly with my friends see maintenance men appear from the chamber through the large hinged hatch lid in the ground in the middle of nowhere.

"Our house backed onto farm land so I would regularly be on the Downs throughout the summer holidays and late into the warm evenings and notice this odd thing going on.

"I remember asking a man there to look inside and was told in no uncertain terms that there was nothing to see as he fastened down the heavy lid with a large padlock and a deep thud."

The MoD has refused to comment on any of its installations still in existence. But it admitted it did have bunkers in use across Sussex.

A spokesman said: "They were almost exclusively used by the Royal Observer Corps and were commonplace."

The bunkers were built to shelter from nuclear blasts and measure the damage caused.

They have been discovered in towns and villages across Sussex and are listed on the website subbrit.org.uk.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/3615616.Southwick_Tunnel_is__secret_military_installation_/

Impressive photo (you can enlarge it) in this article:

Don't look down! Climbers explore the murky abyss of 3,100ft deep underground shaft in China
By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 12:53 AM on 30th October 2008

Hold on to your specs while peering down here. You'd have a long climb to the bottom if they fell off.
This rocky chasm in China is one of the world's deepest underground shafts. It stretches down for an astonishing 3,100ft, or 1,026 metres.
An international team of cave explorers who discovered the cave, near the village of Tian Xing, are seen descending into the abyss.

The picture was taken by photographer Robert Shone, 28, of Manchester, who spent two months with the climbers documenting-their explorations.

Camping underground for four to five days at a time, the team were able to explore the extensive network of caves and tunnels.

Though unimaginably deep, the Chinese caves are actually dwarfed by others across the globe.
The world's deepest cave is Krubera in Georgia, which is 6,822ft deep (2,080 metres), followed by Lamprechtsofen in Austria (5,354ft or 1,631 metres) and Gouffre Mirolda in France (5,335ft or 1,626 metres).
As an interesting comparison, the world's tallest peak, Mount Everest, is 29,029ft (8,848 metres) high.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... China.html

Holy front drive! Family's garden swallowed up by giant 20ft hole which appeared from nowhere
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 11:29 PM on 21st November 2008

Dawn Hides was getting ready to take her daughter to college when she noticed two paving bricks missing from the front drive.
Puzzled by their disappearance, she walked towards the hole to investigate... and disappeared into a vast crater.
The ground which used to be the drive gave way just as she approached the missing bricks and she plunged into the hole.

Luckily, Mrs Hides, 46, was not badly injured by her fall.
Her husband Nick, 46, was woken by the sound of falling masonry and helped her out of the 10ft-deep crater.
The couple quickly moved their car off what remained of the drive and called in engineers to find out what had happened.
Historians say the cavern is likely to be a cellar or a water storage tank built in the Victorian era.

Over the following few days, it swallowed up the rest of the drive and the garden, forcing the family to abandon their £350,000 home in Clevedon, Somerset.
Mrs Hides, who has two other grown-up children, said: 'We've had to stay in a hotel because cracks have started appearing in our front room. It will take weeks to fill the hole.'

Speaking of her fall, she said: 'As I came out of the front door I noticed two of the paving bricks had gone. Then, before I knew it, I was in a hole up to my shoulders and I couldn't get out.
'Every time I tried to grab hold of something, more of the driveway kept sliding away.

'The hole was originally just the size of my body but since then it's got bigger and bigger.'

Local historian Jane Lilly, who found a brick archway in the cavern, said it was likely the driveway had subsided into a water storage tank.
'Houses built along that road date back to the early 1860s, which comes only a few years after mains water was laid in 1856.

'But for most people there was a transition period and the archway seems to be good evidence of a traditional brick-lined storage tank for rainwater.
'The hole could also have been caused by a cellar, but that's less likely because you'd expect one to be directly underneath the house.'
Experts plan to underpin the foundations of the Hides' home and fill the 20ft by 20ft hole with concrete.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... where.html

Miners asked to solve riddle of missing stained glass windows
Martin Wainwright guardian.co.uk, Monday December 1 2008

A church has made a final appeal to retired miners for information about tonnes of stained glass that vanished after being stored underground during the second world war.

Some of Britain's best examples of pre-Victorian abstract work were crated and taken down one of Yorkshire's mine shafts from St Mary's in Sheffield in 1939 to shield them from the expected bombing. But they have never reappeared, after records were lost when the church was badly damaged in an air raid.

Canon Julian Sullivan, vicar of St Mary's, said: "The intention was to retrieve the glass and re-install it after the war, but when it came to it no one knew where the windows had gone."

The original windows were an important feature of St Mary's, whose history has been turbulent since it was built in 1830. The church, which stands next to Sheffield United's Bramall Lane ground, was funded by a national grant of £1m to encourage established Anglican church in areas of potentially radical Methodist activity. Chartist protesters tried to burn it down nine years later.

The church, now a well-used community centre, has commissioned replacement abstract stained glass in an £80,000 project backed by the Arts Council.

Installation started yesterday of designs by Helen Whittaker, an artist from York, which would fill the main neo-Gothic east window.

"Sadly, we have very little information about what the original windows looked like, but Helen has given us a stunning piece of work," said Sullivan. "Meanwhile, the 19th-century windows are still down there somewhere. They were clearly much admired and descriptions describe their abstract nature. We have not been able to find them, but it would be wonderful if there is still someone out there who knows where they are."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/ ... ass-window

Hmmm, "their abstract nature", in their church which is now a "well-used community centre". In Sheffield. I bet if they were traditional Christian scenes they wouldn't be quite so keen to get their hands back on them.

In fact, if they have just splashed out £80k on new replacements, why are they even thinking about the old ones? They should have been asking about them, ooooh, in June 1945 perhaps?

I seem to recall a thread on the boards about a 'forgotten' part of Oxford Street, somewhere under Selfridges?
Story is that there's an old cobbled street and shop fronts beneath the pavements...

A Google lead me to this site - clicky which appears to have some stills from a film which may, or may not, have been shot down there.

ProfessorF said:
I seem to recall a thread on the boards about a 'forgotten' part of Oxford Street, somewhere under Selfridges?
Story is that there's an old cobbled street and shop fronts beneath the pavements...

A Google lead me to this site - clicky which appears to have some stills from a film which may, or may not, have been shot down there.

I vaguely recall the C4 film with Malcolm Mclaren, but I thought it was an obvious work of fiction presented as fact (a la Ghostwatch).

There is apparently an intact Victorian St, gas lamps etc, in Bristol, Lawrence Hill area, under a pub, but there is no legal way to get to it. In fact, there appears to be a few up and down the country. There's plenty of discussion and there's some pics of the Bristol one on www.darkplaces.co.uk

The Chester branch of Spud-U-Like is built over impressive Roman remains, which Fred Talbot on Granada Reports claims can be visited if you ask nicely. :D

Hole size of Nelson's Column opens in back garden
A mine-shaft as deep as Nelson's Column opened in the garden of a £250,000 Edwardian cottage

Last Updated: 7:57PM GMT 21 Dec 2008

Mark and Susan Gilbert watched in horror as the ground caved in and a "vast crater" appeared just steps away from their back door.

The couple heard a "loud creaking" moments before their patio collapsed into the pitch-black chasm.

When the smoke and debris finally cleared, they were left with a giant hole measuring 15ft in diameter - and 165ft (50m) deep. :shock:

Experts say the disused shaft would have been used by teams of miners up until the late 19th century to bring underground coal to the surface.

The couple said the ordeal at their home in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, left them "shaking for hours".

Mr Gilbert, 54, said: "The whole patio literally disappeared and fell into a vast crater.

"The ground in that area just fell away to expose a massive mine shaft 50 metres deep.

"It was a scary sight and although no one was injured, we were both shaking for hours afterwards."

Mr Gilbert, a delivery manager for Royal Mail, added: "There are some things that you just don't expect to happen - and that was certainly one of them."

The couple bought the three-bedroom end-of-terrace cottage nine years ago but had no idea its grounds contained the openings of a mine.

The property is on the outskirts of what was once a thriving coal mining region, and they carried out extensive land surveys before moving in.

But the searches failed to spot the shaft, which experts believe was never officially registered.

Since 1999, they have used the 18ft by 12ft patio on a daily basis to hang out the washing, enjoy BBQs with friends, and relax in the evenings.

But earlier this year, it began to "sag" in the middle and Mr Gilbert was forced to hire a builder to flatten it out.

The workman filled the depression with two tonnes of concrete before re-laying the slabs at the correct angle.

But within weeks it had dropped "significantly' - and Mr Gilbert finally realised what could lie below.

He said: "We'd undertaken lots of surveys when we bought the place, but they never revealed anything.

"We knew the area was once a mining area, so when the ground started to sag again, we knew something could be amiss."

Last month, experts from the Coal Authority, the Government agency which deals with abandoned coal mines, visited the property and confirmed the presence of a mine.

They erected fences around the patio and advised the Gilberts against walking over it until it could be filled after Christmas.

But at around 8am last Thursday, the ground gave in completely - swallowing the patio whole and leaving a vertical shaft in its place.

Mr Gilbert said: "It beggars belief to think that there's such a large hole in our back garden.

"When it caved in, the earth around it covered it up a bit so it's difficult to appreciate exactly how deep it is.

"But you really wouldn't want to walk on it - there's a drop of 50 metres below that which I've been told would open up under the weight of just a gram or two.

"It was just a miracle that neither of us weren't in the garden at the time, or we would surely have been killed."

The Coal Authority (CA) believes the shaft was part of the Quarry Pit Mine network, which was last worked in 1836.

It is among an estimated 170,000 unregistered mines, which are frequently discovered by homeowners across the UK.

Luckily, residents who find mines on their property are protected financially by the Coal Mining Subsidence Act, which ensures that holes - and any damage they cause - are repaired free of charge.

The Gilbert's shaft will now be filled in by CA workmen using tens of thousands of gallons of liquid concrete.

A spokesman for the CA said: "A shaft measuring 50 metres is certainly unusual and was clearly dangerous to the homeowners.

"The Coal Authority visited the property and made the area safe, and we will now be carrying out a filling operation to return their back garden to how it once was."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... arden.html

The Secret Beneath Grand Central Station - Video
Go underground to New York's secret rail platform under Grand Central Station - Track 61.

It does not appear on any station maps or plans and was built specially for President Franklin Delano Roosevelt to use in the 1930s.

FDR had polio and used the hidden platform to get on and off vehicles without revealing his disability to the public.

Pretty interesting, huh?[/url]

LordRsmacker said:
ProfessorF said:

I vaguely recall the C4 film with Malcolm Mclaren, but I thought it was an obvious work of fiction presented as fact (a la Ghostwatch).

There is apparently an intact Victorian St, gas lamps etc, in Bristol, Lawrence Hill area, under a pub, but there is no legal way to get to it. In fact, there appears to be a few up and down the country. There's plenty of discussion and there's some pics of the Bristol one on www.darkplaces.co.uk

I love all of these. Please someone find on, or get a job in Selfridges Oxford Street so they can have a look.

Strangely I was only thinking today about when I worked in the hidden Ballroom on top of John Lewis in Manchester.
It was re-opened for a stage show when Manchester was 'City of Drama' in 1994. I worked there as Front of House. The place had been shut up in the 1960's and no one had been up there since!

Roman police find sewer children
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7983880.stm

Rome's Termini central railway station, archive image
The children were found in sewers close to railway stations

Italian police have found more than 100 immigrants, including 24 Afghan children, living in the sewer system beneath railway stations in Rome.

The children range in age from 10 to 15 years and are now being looked after by the city's social services.

They were found when the railway police followed up reports of children living near the city's stations.

The police say they do not speak Italian and broke into the sewers by removing manhole covers.

The charity Save the Children Italy says that more than 1,000 unaccompanied children arrived in Rome last year from various countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America.

Container stowaways

Railway police had been following up reports that groups of homeless immigrants were living in unhygienic conditions in and around Rome's three main railway stations.

Police said the Afghan children appeared to have arrived in the Italian capital as stowaways on board trailer trucks arriving from Turkey and Greece.

Some children were sleeping at night in sewers under the railway station to shelter from the cold, police said.

The number of foreign minors arriving in Italy has risen substantially over the past five years, according to children's charities.

Roman police also recently discovered groups of illegal immigrants from Bangladesh and China living crammed 20 or more to a room.

As fast as the authorities find them proper accommodation, their places are taken by new arrivals, the BBC's David Willey reports from the Italian capital.

Good photos here:

Lucky escape for dog who was swallowed up by 100ft-deep hole
By Luke Salkeld
Last updated at 1:14 AM on 14th May 2009

A dog made a lucky escape after falling down a 100ft-deep crater that appeared when a disused mine shaft collapsed beneath a public footpath.

Three fire crews helped winch the springer spaniel to safety after the hound tumbled into the giant hole at a nature spot owned by Prince Charles.
The crater opened up when thousands of tonnes of earth crashed into an underground seam.

The gap measured 25ft across open moorland at Minions near Liskeard, which is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall.
The dog fell straight in while on a walk with its owner who could only watch in horror as her pet disappeared from view and landed with a thud on a ledge deep within the hole.

The unidentified owner then dialled 999 and three fire units and more than a dozen firefighters were dispatched to the scene.
A firefighter winched down on a rope was then able to bring the animal back to the surface to be reunited with its owner unhurt.

Eyewitness Howard Martin said: 'It's a miracle that the dog survived such a fall. The shaft is massive, about 25ft across and 100ft deep.
'It was a huge effort to get the dog out again and luckily it was alright. The owner was terrified. At first she thought it has fallen all the way down.'
The dog spent up to 90 minutes down the shaft while rescuers were called earlier this month.
Ian Oliver, of the Cornwall Fire Brigade, said: 'Crews from Liskeard and Bodmin were mobilised. On arrival there was found to be a dog trapped down a shaft.

'A firefighter was lowered using line rescue equipment and successfully recovered a springer spaniel who was reunited with its owner.'

A spokeswoman for the Duchy said the shaft had opened up at an earlier date :roll: and investigation was on-going.
He said: 'We are aware of this issue and when the shaft collapsed took immediate actions to make the area safe.
'Investigations into the cause and actions to rectify the collapse are ongoing.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -hole.html

Liveinabin1 you'll be pleased to know that I worked in Selfridges for 5 years up until 5 years ago.
I was lucky enough to know one of the maintenance guys (boyfriend of a colleague) who smuggled us down into the sub, sub basement (2 further floors below the basement of the store where customers are allowed). The sub basement is where the storage areas for most of the cosmetic companies are as well as the loading bay and dispatch cage. Where I went was a further floor down.
There was a storage area for a few bits of furniture and a big boiler type thing (about the size of a transit van) which allegedly exploded a few years back killing 2 maintenance guys (though I really have no idea if this is true). The whole place stank of damp and slightly of sewage and there was a sound of running water. A large trap door in the centre was open showing the source...what sounded like a stream; I couldn't see too far down though as it was pitch black down there but it sounded like quite a void. However I don't think any streams run under Selfridges (one runs about a 2 minute walk away under Stratford Place) so I'm not sure if it was a sewer or a storm drain.
Wearing a suit at the time I couldn't go down any further and I'm afraid after the London bombings in 2005 the chance of gaining access again unless it was actually your job is very slim!
I'd love to be given the chance to go there again, have the right clothes on to climb down that ladder and find out exactly whats down there. I do still have connections with the store, but not to the same level as before :(

Blinking heck Rynner, that mineshaft story is shockingly worrying - I recall spending many an hour on Bodmin Moor!
I know that tin mining has left a huge legacy in cornwall with shafts covered over hastily and makeshiftly.
What's worse, IIRC records are not 100% and there are many shafts that are unknown. :shock:

Blinko_Glick said:
I know that tin mining has left a huge legacy in cornwall with shafts covered over hastily and makeshiftly.
What's worse, IIRC records are not 100% and there are many shafts that are unknown. :shock:
Yep! Every year we get one or two new holes in the ground, and often in peoples' gardens! (Sometimes with fatal results..)

Other examples earlier in this thread...

I've long had an interest in underground stuff.

I know of three examples which I've not seen obviously mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

A few years ago, my local (North Herts) paper, The Comet, mentioned that whilst the demolition of an old office block in Hitchin was completed, they discovered a large concrete space underneath it. The paper referred to it as a void, and mentioned that whilst the building above it had existed, there was no obvious entrance into this area. No stairs, it seems. The article ended by saying that it had subsequently been filled in. There is now an Audi dealer on that location.

The same newspaper mentioned some time later that when the Kennedy Gardens were being, erm, refurbished in Letchworth, they found what they described as bunkers underneath it.

I'm not entirely sure how you refurbish what is effectively a park, and doubt it would involve any real building work, but the article stated that the bunker had been gently filled with plastic foam to preserve it for investigators in the future. It also irritatingly mentioned that there were several other bunkers in the area which the council were aware of the existence of, but they didn't know that actual location. It was suggested these were fallout shelters from the 50/60s.

I can imagine that bunkers designed for only the most important local people probably don't have their location on a big map in the local town hall, so it's conceivable that over the course of time, people die/retire and these things just become forgotten and lost.

The third story, and most frustrating for me, was when they resurfaced the town centre of Hitchin, specifically the area directly in front of churchgate.

The paper indicated that as most of the buildings surrounding the area were known for having large cellars which extended in front of the shop fronts, investigation was carried out to test for loadbearing of large vehicles and so forth. It was reported that in several instances the cellars were discovered to extend considerably further in front of these buildings than the existing cellars themselves went. i.e. they were once larger, and had been walled up for some reason. It was suggested that the entire area was effectively hollow, but as it wasn't going to affect the works, no further investigation was going to take place.

As the council spent a great deal of money expensively resurfacing the area, it pretty much eliminates any investigation any time soon.

There's probably an interesting conspiracy theory there, find something underground, and simply build something over it which is too expensive to then move. The problem, therefore, goes away.

I cannot, of course, find any of these stories on the Comets website.

A few years ago, when they re-did Biggleswade town center, it was reported in the Biggleswade Chronicle that a cellar protruding under the main road was going to be back filled. I now regret that I didn't note which shop was mentioned.

In the same vein, in Saffron Walden, on the north side of King Street, there is or was, (I havn't been back in several years), a junk shop with two tunnel like cellers, running under the street in front.

For those who prefer to do their Urban Explorations by proxy, here's an amazing collection of adventures underground, mainly with photo sets.

Here

I was especially fascinated by the Manchester underworld of culverted rivers and cathedral-like sewage outfalls. These places are christened by their explorers: Big Humpty, for instance is a vast egg-shaped sewage tunnel situated in Newton Heath. These modern urban explorers take some pretty fancy kit down there to secure some very beautiful images. Warning: you may find the site swallows hours!

I note that Manchester's odd Urbis exhibition space has a display of these images, held over until July. From 21st June, there is also a Ghosts exhibition there, so I may delay a visit until then.

For those without hours, here is an especially Hell-like photo set of Gildersome Tunnel near Leeds

Enjoy and shudder a little! :)

On the occasional trip along the A602, I often wonder what is behind the small doors in the supports either side of the bridge that goes over it.

They are nothing spectacular, but I do worry what is needed so often that it isn't worth keeping it at a depot. A small bridge, I can't help but feel, doesn't need much maintenance, especially by anything that fits in a normal household sized door.

I'd not be entirely surprised to find it on http://www.entrances2hell.co.uk/index.html

A woman I worked with told me of some tunnels under Hemel Hempstead Old Town, that she said you could access from some of the shops in the Old High Street so I did a search and found claims that according to local legend, King Henry VIII courted Ann Boleyn in Hemel, using underground tunnels to travel around. Another site says that apparently Henry VIII and Ann Boleyn used to stay often in the old hunting lodge in Gadebridge park, (gone now), and did their courting in the Old High street ale houses. There is a tunnel from St Mary's Church to the Royal Oak pub in the Old Town; it was formally the house of correction and was the last pub on the right past the Old Bell.

But there are also claims from people who played in extensive tunnels under Hemel as kids.

If I can find any more on these tunnels I'll post here but I'd be interested if anyone else here knows anything about them

Back