• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Scariest Fortean Thing Ever To Happen To You

bobok_ said:
Scary story SarahF! Glad to know the police were so matter-of-fact about the whole poltergeist thing!

Care to tell us what other happenings.. happened?

Yes, please do!

Scariest things

SHAYBARSABE said:
bobok_ said:
Scary story SarahF! Glad to know the police were so matter-of-fact about the whole poltergeist thing!

Care to tell us what other happenings.. happened?

Yes, please do!

Well, it is a while ago, but I remember the first thing was when I was in my early teens. My Mum coming into my room and asking which of us had been down in the kitchen and put the mixer on the floor. She had bought a new handheld blender and my Dad had put it on the kitchen wall using the bracket supplied with it. When Mum had come down in the morning the whole thing had been lifted off the wall screws and was lying in the middle of the kitchen floor with the little attachments still in their places. Whoever was living with us did not like the “new fangled gadgets”.

Our two cats would often stop in the middle of whatever they were doing and watch something we could not see cross the room.

Not that scary, probably more strange. Anyone experienced this?
Thinking you know a city/town well. Suddenly you enter a part of the city/town you never knew about, getting the feeling you almost entered into another dimension.
The strange feeling disappears after 5-10 minutes.

SameOldVardoger said:
Thinking you know a city/town well. Suddenly you enter a part of the city/town you never knew about, getting the feeling you almost entered into another dimension.

Yes, when I lived in San Francisco, I managed to reside there for 4 years before discovering the Richmond District (Clement Street). It was very disorienting! I moved there eventually.

SameOldVardoger said:

Something similar happened to me just the other week.

I was on the walk home from a night out with friends at about 1am, the walk is approximately 2-3 miles and shouldn't take any more than 40 minutes. I called my girlfriend to tell her I'd be home shortly.

I'll point out here before the story loses all credibility, that I had been drinking, but was not hideously drunk!

I know the route off by heart but somehow I took a wrong turn about 1/2 mile from my house. I only realised this when the bend at the bottom of my road wasn't there, everything up until this point was very familiar.

I continued on for a bit thinking I had had turned off a road too early but quickly discovered I hadn't a clue where I was. I made it back home after what seemed to me to be about half an hour and was astonished to find my girlfriend still up and worried sick. She'd called me 11 times and left 3 messages on my mobile - none of which I had heard, on looking at my phone, I saw the time was gone 5 in the morning! The journey back had taken me about four hours.

That night I had a very vivid dream about the journey back home. In the dream all the houses and streets I walked past were an incredibly vibrant colour, the closest thing to it is HDR photography like this:

http://blog.photoshelter.com/corp/hdr-76.jpg

I woke up assuming most of it was a dream and got on with my day, but a few days later I drove past a row of houses that looked identical to the ones in my dream/journey. Weird thing is they're only about 1/4 mile from my house and I'd never noticed them before which is odd as they were really nice looking houses and I live in quite a dull, industrial area of town.

I blame the drink...

Re: Scariest things

SarahF said:
When Mum had come down in the morning the whole thing had been lifted off the wall screws and was lying in the middle of the kitchen floor with the little attachments still in their places.

That is spooky on many levels. Something about common household objects moving about is far scarier than having something odd appear in the middle of the room.

Thanks for posting.

On the subject of feeling bemused in familiar surroundings, I once experienced something very odd. My friends and I were on holiday in Puerto Banus near Marbella in Spain, staying in a villa just outside the town. We had visited the town to do some shopping one day, as my friend was looking for an outfit for a wedding, and (rather embarassingly) visited the same stores we'd likely visit in the UK. We returned to the town the next day, but for some reason all bar one of us imagined we were in an entirely new town. It took half a day of us walking around saying things like "ooh, I wonder if they have a *insert generic shop* here" etc. etc. (even though we had visited these shops in this town just the day before) for the only one of her friends who wasn't experiencing the confusion to ask us what the hell we were on about. It wasn't like we visited loads of towns on this holiday, just the one, twice. That sudden feeling of realising our minds had massively mislead us was one I won't forget in a hurry; it reminded me of the stories of being 'pixie led'.. I was tempted to turn my coat inside out to shake off the phenomenon.

Back on topic, the scariest Fortean thing to happen to me was some poltergeist phenomena I experienced in a flat that once belonged to some old friends. Among other things, I personally witnessed a fork shooting horizontally from a sideboard about a foot in front of me, and a clock moving from one wall to another in a locked room.

strange man in our hotel room...

Last december my boyfriend and i was attending a battlestar galactica convention in Heathrow, London. I had a pretty bad dose of the flu and spent most of the con sleeping. On the second night i suffered from sleep paralysis (which i reguarly suffer from) and whilst struggling to awaken i had the distinct feeling that somebody was in our hotel room with us. In my minds eye i could see a figure at the end of my bed, he (i assumed he was male) was about 6ft tall, dressed entirely in a black mesh type millitary suit and a gas/bio warefare mask. He was staring intently at me and i distinctly remember finally getting out of my paralysis to say to my partner "sweetie, theres somebody in our room!" He reassured me there wasn`t, switched on the bedside light for me and fell back asleep. I had trouble falling back to sleep after this and put what i`d "seen" down to either a flu induced hallucination or due to the large amounts of lemsip i`d been consuming and thought no more of it, until the next morning. As we were heading down to breakfast my boyfriend told me he didn`t want to worry me, but he had also thought somebody was in our room with us. He then proceeded to describe the male exactly as i`d "seen" him in my minds eye. It disturbed him so much that he actually got up to check that there was nobody hiding in our bathroom or wardrobe and even checked under the bed! I still think it was nothing more than a hallucination but i found it extremely odd and disturbing that my boyfriend had "seen" the same person.

Re: strange man in our hotel room...

pinkstarbuck said:
Last december my boyfriend and i was attending a battlestar galactica convention...

IMHO, that one phrase about explains the whole incident. I used to go to cons--loads of people around in costumes who'd just love pull one over on someone else.

pinkstarbuck said:
Last december my boyfriend and i was attending a battlestar galactica convention in Heathrow, London. I had a pretty bad dose of the flu and spent most of the con sleeping. On the second night i suffered from sleep paralysis (which i reguarly suffer from) and whilst struggling to awaken i had the distinct feeling that somebody was in our hotel room with us. In my minds eye i could see a figure at the end of my bed, he (i assumed he was male) was about 6ft tall, dressed entirely in a black mesh type millitary suit and a gas/bio warefare mask. He was staring intently at me and i distinctly remember finally getting out of my paralysis to say to my partner "sweetie, theres somebody in our room!" He reassured me there wasn`t, switched on the bedside light for me and fell back asleep. I had trouble falling back to sleep after this and put what i`d "seen" down to either a flu induced hallucination or due to the large amounts of lemsip i`d been consuming and thought no more of it, until the next morning. As we were heading down to breakfast my boyfriend told me he didn`t want to worry me, but he had also thought somebody was in our room with us. He then proceeded to describe the male exactly as i`d "seen" him in my minds eye. It disturbed him so much that he actually got up to check that there was nobody hiding in our bathroom or wardrobe and even checked under the bed! I still think it was nothing more than a hallucination but i found it extremely odd and disturbing that my boyfriend had "seen" the same person.

I LOVE that there is such a thing as a Battlestar Galactica conference - I didnt know that :)
Youre story reminds me of one of mine:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38548

SameOldVardoger said:

Something similar - and peculiar - has happened to me a few times, which is driving through an area I know well, only to suddenly feel as if it's another place entirely. It's not unpleasant, just very strange.

I knew very well where I was, but couldn't shake the sense that it felt like I was in another town...if that makes any sense at all.
I was sure this was my own peculiarity, but one day it happened when I was driving with my son, and suddenly he piped up, "Mom, why does it feel like we're in the town where Grandma lives?" Which is just what I had been thinking. My son was so convinced we were in this other town that he was sure we'd see Grandma any second.
I asked him why he thought that, and he just said that it looked the same way, but didn't explain further. I didn't want to ask any leading questions though, so I let it be. About 5-10 minutes later, the feeling faded, and he piped up and said "we're back in our own town now."
So I wasn't the only one to have this experience. which was interesting.
Just to note, we weren't in an unfamiliar area at all.

I can't think of a real explanation for it happening to both of us at once.

MsQkxyz said:
I LOVE that there is such a thing as a Battlestar Galactica conference - I didnt know that :)

Youre story reminds me of one of mine:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38548

Wow!
Our stories are incredibly similar!
I don`t think he was taking pictures or anything like that, i just remember him staring intently. He definetely wasn`t the millitary capped grey that somebody posted in their reply to you! :)
It wasn`t anybody playing a joke on us either, as our door was locked from the inside, but you`re right, people do play practical jokes at cons!
(anyone intersted in battlestar galactica cons should check out the starfury guys!)

ormus said:
Hi, this is my first post. I really like this site. I’ve been lurking around quietly for years and look forward to the new posts, (I also hoped, I suppose, that someone would describe something similar to my experience and I could jump in with, “Yes, I saw that too!” , but they didn’t , so I’ll have to be brave). This isn’t quite the scariest thing that has happened to me, but it comes close and it’s certainly the weirdest.
It happened in 1974. I was married with a three year old and a young baby. My husband was starting a new job in the merchant navy the following day. It had been very hectic, getting everything ready and I felt shattered. I left my husband doing one last check on his luggage, and went to bed.
I fell into an uneasy sleep almost immediately, jumping up twice with vivid disturbing dreams, but eventually I fell into a deep sleep.
It must have been a while later when something made me open my eyes and look up. There seemed to be a wriggling spider dangling near my face. Before I could react, it shot quickly upwards, now looking more like a moving tangle of black thread, which seemed to be getting bigger.
It reached the ceiling and formed itself into a black blob, which started to pulsate, like a slow heartbeat. At each beat it was growing larger. It was also becoming transparent, like a jellyfish, with black lines radiating out from the centre (similar to an orange that has been cut in half). In the middle, where the lines met, geometric patterns were forming. It was also giving off a soft glow, which was illuminating the bedroom ceiling.
All the time this was happening I was screwing my eyes up tight and blinking hard, expecting it to disappear. I was thinking “I have to be dreaming. I feel I’m awake, because I’m dreaming I’m awake. This is the most bizarre dream yet”.
By now it was well over six feet across. Then I heard my husband stir next to me, I hadn’t even realised he was there. He gave a gasp of astonishment and shot up on one elbow, with his back to me, staring up at this thing. (If I hadn’t been lying down, I think I would have fainted at that moment, as I realised he could see it too).
It reacted to the sudden noise and movement by stopping still and dimming slightly, and then it continued to pulse, but with each pulse it was getting smaller. Over the next few minutes it shrank away in pulses becoming dimmer and dimmer, until it finally disappeared.
After it had gone, we both stayed staring into the darkness, until my husband muttered to himself, lay back down and immediately back to sleep. This broke the spell. I leapt up and shook him, asking him what he’d seen. “Big spider, no crab”, he mumbled, then waking up properly he sat bolt upright, “What the hell was that thing?” (He had thought he was dreaming and was unaware I was watching it too). He described it exactly as I had seen it, right down to the strange patterns on it.
Apart from my mother who said she had seen something similar (but only up to the black blob stage); I have never met anyone who has seen anything like this. I was very fortunate to have had a witness; otherwise I would have thought it was a dream.
I often wonder what would have happened if it hadn’t been disturbed.
Has anyone else seen this phenomenon?
:shock: This is the closest image of what I have ever come across that might have actually been a part of a fourth dimensional being. If i was to picture what one might look like to my 3 dimensional eyes- that pretty much nailed it.

Hi guys,

Well, what's happened to me? Much like Escargot I to have had experiences of drips which aren't there. This used to happen at my parents' house frequently. In the beam of the kitchen door. I've felt drops, seen drops, as have other members of the family. But there's never any fluid on the floor or on us after experiencing that. Most curious.

But that isn't actually my weirdest experience. I used to be a member of a small theatre in Kenilworth, Warwickshire, by the name of The Priory Theatre. It's a tiny little local theatre, converted from an old church. The gravestones which had to be disturbed during conversion work decades ago are still stood up by the sides of the front car park if i recall correctly.

I was a member there for some 8/9 years during the 90s, doing a couple of shows a year. It's been modernised a couple of times over the years. Given extensions, and new slopes built up for disabled access. It was also rebuilt in part after a fire in the 60s I believe.

The place has had a number of reports have been made over the years, by theatre members, and stage crew, of some ghostly activity. Some of them have been a little bit vague, but aside from the are usual 'unusual' cold spots in that building which you'd expect from an old building like that, there have been the odd reports of spotting figures on the live camera feed to the stage when nobody was there, and people having conversations with an arriving stage manager they've spotted from up in the Fly Tower, only to be told over the comms that there's nobody at the desk - because the Stage Manager is in the sound booth.

The 'ghost' has gained the moniker of 'Priory Pete'. Although at least two people I can think of have told me they've thought the figure they saw was female.

Now I have to admit that I've certainly never 'seen' anything in that Theatre. Not seen. But I've certainly heard a few things. When I and one other member where opening up one evening back at the tail end of the 90s we swore blind that we heard children laughing and running around coming from upstairs in the dressing room. But we were the only people in the theatre. We'd only just unlocked and walked in. We looked around but it was a good half an hour before anybody else showed up, that evening. We were alone.

There was also another time when a group of five of us (All male) were chatting in the bar before a rehearsal, waiting for the director to arrive. We were laughing and joking, and during this I heard a very distinctive female laugh from the direction of the archway (Part of the original masonry of the building). But when we turned around there was nobody there. We thought that it might have been the director (Who was female) but she did not arrive for another ten minutes, her car parking up on the gravel outside while we were discussing what we had just heard.

But by far the weirdest experience I had there was turning up one evening for a rehearsal to find that the stage door was unlocked, ajar, and that the emergency lights had all turned on inside the bar. I walked through with another arriving member of staff who actually fetched a makeshift weapon from his before we went in, assuming that somebody might have been breaking in. But we searched the whole building, with another staff member manning the only exit. Nobody else went in, nobody came out.

The lock to the stage door requires a pin code to unlock it. And I was there locking up the night before. I double checked that the door was sealed, as did another member. Although the door could have been opened from the inside, nobody had been in during the day and I had been one of the last two to leave the night before.

But the creepiest thing was that the alarm was setting noise was beeping inside the foyer, and the answerphone - one of those old micro-tape reel answerphones - was playing. Seemingly on a loop. It scared the shit out of us.

But my colleague told me this was not the first time he'd seen this happen. He told 'Priory Pete' to stop "Dicking About" and set everything back in order. But after that I really never liked opening up of an evening, in case it happened again.

I understand that a couple of years back some theatre members did a charity 'sleep in' at the theatre, but perhaps rather predictably, nothing of note was experienced that night.

This is the closest image of what I have ever come across that might have actually been a part of a fourth dimensional being. If i was to picture what one might look like to my 3 dimensional eyes- that pretty much nailed it.

Hi, Dark_Tale_Weaver, and welcome to the forum. Very interesting observation. I have wondered if it could have come from another dimension, without really knowing anything about it. (Any further information on this would be very welcome).

CuriousIdent's post reminded me of a scary experience when I worked in a theatre.

At the time (15ish years ago), I was working in the bars of an old theatre. The upper circle of the theatre was supposed to be haunted (by The Blue Lady -ghosts always need titles!). I knew various crew members who had witnessed her / some strange happenings whilst rehearsing and/or doing fit ups and get outs (get outs would usually run into the wee hours).

One evening, I was manning the Upper Circle bar. The play had started and I was sitting in the bar with some ushers. We were young (19/20) and chatting and getting a bit loud. Suddenly a wine glass flew off the counter and shattered -making us all scream in fright. As the bar person, I went to investigate how it 'fell off' and realised that it was actually (seemingly) impossible for it to have done so on its own. The wine glasses were displayed a good 8-10 inches from the edge of the bar, so if it had fallen over, it would have dropped and rolled off. The glass had in fact landed (well, shattered) several feet from the counter, suggesting it got there with force. We all tried to find an explanation for how the glass smashed (wet counter, slid to end and fell off being the most likely) but the mystery remained a mystery as to how it fell off with force -to the extent where it landed some distance from the bar.

In the big scheme of (Fortean) things, it's not very exciting at all, but it certainly scared the bejesus out of 3 or 4 girls!

THe scariest thing that's happened to me personally (while I'm here...) was hearing a voice very clearly say my name. I was (again) a student, living at home and 'revising' in the livingroom I shared with my brother (we were lucky enough to have the top floor of the family home as ours). He was out, my mum and dad were in bed and I had the election results on the TV in the background. My hamster was bombing about in his ball. I was kind of gazing at whatever work was in front of me (not actually revising looking at it whilst thinking of something else iyswim!) and then it happened -just one word (my name) very clearly spoken in a male voice. It seemed to come from next to me -not the telly or stereo (which was off anyway). I hold my hand up and admit I nearly bricked it. I got the acrid taste in my mouth, my heart skipped a beat then almost pounded out of my chest before I finally mustered up the courage to utter a weak 'hello?'. Of course I got no reply. I went downstairs to my parents' room (directly under the room I was in) to check that they hadn't spoken my name that could have somehoww been transmitted through my telly(! I know, but I was scrabbling for arational explanation) and they said not. Anyway, it never happened again and still remains a mystery.

Who are these entities who like to put the wind up people by saying their name right in their ear? What purpose could it possibly serve except an "I've got my eye on you!" reminder? Assuming it's not some illusionary quirk of the brain.

gncxx said:
Who are these entities who like to put the wind up people by saying their name right in their ear? What purpose could it possibly serve except an "I've got my eye on you!" reminder? Assuming it's not some illusionary quirk of the brain.

The "others" -- some of them are jokesters. ;)

gncxx said:

It would be an instant cure for excessive masturbation. Or any masturbation, really. I don't need an audience, other-worldly or otherwise.

Wow! Thanks for that, amarok2005.
It does sound very similar, (right down to the disturbing dreams beforehand).
This is another person who had a witness as well.
The tentacles hanging down, reminded me of what rasputin had seen, when she woke up.
Maybe if we hadn't disturbed it when we did, that's what might have happened next. (I don't think I'd have stayed so calm if it had!)
If you saw it on your own, you would definitely say you were dreaming. as I'm sure a lot of people do.
I would love to know what it was, or to hear from people who have experienced anything like it.

If this were a pulp SF story, I'd say some sort of alien creature was trying to probe human minds unobtrusively, at night when they are (usually) asleep. Perhaps to understand Terrans -- or take over their bodies and send them out on a mission of conquest!!! (Sorry -- got a little too pulp sf there.)

Actually, when I first read these accounts I thought of The Prisoner (the original), when Number Six would go to bed, and as soon as he was asleep the innocent-looking flower-shaped light fixture would begin to strobe, make a bizarre warbling sound and lower itself down on his face!

Hi amarok,
I have to admit, lying there in the dark some nights, that thought has crossed my mind, lol!

Astral Travel

ormus said:
I would love to know what it was, or to hear from people who have experienced anything like it.

Maybe it was your astral body on it's way out or or back to your physical body...

CuriousIdent said:
The lock to the stage door requires a pin code to unlock it. And I was there locking up the night before. I double checked that the door was sealed, as did another member. Although the door could have been opened from the inside, nobody had been in during the day and I had been one of the last two to leave the night before.

I love these theatre stories. I worked in one that actually got exorcised because a priest postulated that there was a "gateway" (?!) in a section of wall by the sweeping stairs.

I was one of the stage managers and always got sent in to turn on the lights etc by my quaking colleagues (it’s worth pointing out that I’m the youngest, the shortest and the femalest) – not because I’m hard, but because they all said they could “sense” something and didn’t want to be alone with it in the dark. I am as psychic as a potato, and Fortean, so I didn’t mind.

I never noticed anything out of the ordinary until I was in the upper circle right in the middle of the performance, about to send some cast members onto the stage in time for the next scene, via a small hidden platform. There was a makeshift plywood door between the upper circle and the platform, with no latch but a lock to which only I and the duty manager had a key. I’d unlocked before the performance had begun, and the duty manager had been in another part of the building the entire time.

Anyway, just as I started to send the cast through the door, it locked itself. TIGHT. It was so flimsy that you could knock it off its hinges with a well-aimed kick, but this was literally like something big and heavy was blocking it from the other side. My key turned and turned in the lock but nothing happened. We were all getting frantic as the cast REALLY had to be set up onstage for the next scene so, assuming that the duty manager had somehow returned to the theatre and locked the door while I wasn’t looking I hurtled across the building to find him (he claimed not to have returned) and dragged him back to the upper circle and… the door swung open. No impediments.

Some other things had gone wrong mysteriously that night – our headsets had kept dying or just played static; people kept smelling smoke in the Green Room, and some crew kept seeing a certain cast member in various places backstage when she was actually *on-stage*. There were many whispers about “the ghost” in the Green Room, and altogether the effect was rather eerie.

I do remember that, after the performance, I went out to the platform, checked the door (I locked it myself then went round the other side – it behaved differently when I leant my weight on it: bowing at the top and bottom, but holding fast at the lock; during the performance the ENTIRE DOOR was rigid and immovable when I pressed against it). I got someone to climb up the ladder on the opposite side of the platform from behind the door – I would have definitely SEEN someone had they snuck up and obscured the door. It was quite mundane but utterly inexplicable (and I say that as a Fortean).

I ended up having a go at the ghost, ranting about health and safety(!) as I almost had to send a troupe of cast members hopping the 20 foot drop to the ground to get on stage!

Can’t say conclusively that it was a ghost though.

The scariest thing that's ever happened to me was...hearing a story about something scary happening to a friend of mine. And, admittedly, the friend was a bit of an embellisher, so I didn't believe it for a long time; however, when he brought some me and another friend over to his house and we asked his parents about it, their reaction kind of clinched the deal.

I was in college, and didn't go very far from where I grew up; it's a small liberal arts school in Cleveland, Ohio. I was in theater in high school with a friend, and while we didn't room together we did hang out a lot. He lived a couple of blocks from me, but we didn't really talk until our final year of high school, so we weren't terribly familiar. The one personal fact I knew about him was that his house had a cross on it.

Now, that in and of itself wasn't necessarily weird; lots of houses in the U.S. have religious stuff outside of them. This cross, however, was out of place; it was a fairly big cross, not placed in the yard but hung on the house (so that, if you're looking at the house from the front, it's hanging on the second story). It's still there; I drove by it on my way to Christmas morning at my mom's house (which is why I thought of this).

At one point, as I knew him a little more, I realized that he wasn't particularly religious, which surprised me. So I asked him about the cross. According to my friend (call him Jeff), this is what happened.

When Jeff's parents bought the house, they really liked that it was different from the other houses on the street. Most of the houses on that street look similar; they were built as a development during the 1950s. This one, while identical in size, was in fact the mirror image of those houses; where they had doors on the right, this one had them on the left. It was as if the architects flipped the blueprints over, traced it, and built this one house. You wouldn't really realize that now (as time goes on, the houses all take on their own character, have additions put on, change landscaping, etc.), but at the time this was kind of odd.

When Jeff's parents purchased the house, they immediately started pumping out kids, and the basement was converted into a playroom. The kids (Jeff was the middle child, so this was before his time) didn't like playing in said playroom, claiming it was cold. Jeff's dad also had noticed that toys didn't seem to stay put away, but if you have kids than you know that this isn't uncommon: kids tend to not put their things away, and a mess you thought you'd cleaned can easily be remade by a willing three year old with fifteen minutes to spare.

Eventually, the playroom became a spot for a second TV as the kids got older. Second TVs, though, are usually for the parents; the kids watch their shows on the main TV, while the parents watched whatever it was they were watching in the basement.

So one night, after Jeff's dad had been watching something in the basement and fallen asleep, he woke up to feel a weight jumping up and down on his chest and the faint sound of giggling. In that weird "in between" state, he recalled seeing a white figure jumping on him; he thought it was one of his kids and sat up, only for the sensation to stop and the shape to vanish. It was very late (or early, depending on your viewpoint), and he went back to bed, thinking he'd dreamed it.

About that time, he started noticing things. Specifically, the basement was colder than it should've been, kid's toys tended to be moved around the whole house into the basement (where no kids were really going anymore), and the dog wouldn't go down into the basement. He didn't chalk it up to anything supernatural, but he did think it was odd.

Six months later, Jeff's dad fell asleep in the basement again. This time, he woke up to see a much clearer image of a girl in a white dress playing on the ground with a ball that belonged to his oldest daughter. As he watched further the girl went back into the laundry room, and didn't come out. He went in there, found nothing but the ball, and went back upstairs, shaken.

The next day he told his wife about it, and they eventually asked the neighbors about the previous residents. Apparently, on Easter Sunday the original owners were getting ready to go to church; they had a little girl, who was in a white lace dress, who went down in the basement to play with the dog. Somehow she ended up near the hot water heater (which was in the present-day laundry room), and the dress caught fire; she ended up dying of the burns. Jeff's parents were Lutheran, and told their local church about the incident, who in turn sent out a pastor to bless the house; as part of that, he gave them the cross to hang on the house as some kind of ward.

After hearing that story I was pretty much convinced he was making it up; when we went over to his house, though, we asked about it. His dad got up and walked away from the table without saying a word, and his mom told us that he still doesn't like talking about it and that he hasn't been in the basement since. Also, the dog still doesn't go down there.

I'm not sure that I believe the story, honestly, but I do remember how scared I was when I heard it, and I know that the cross is kind of apropos of nothing on the front of the house as nobody in the family is particularly religious.

Hi there, some cool stories here, i thought i would share my weird story.
Anyways I'm just entering my apartment one night, which I shared with a buddy, all the lights were off so it was a little dark inside but not too dark because I can still see where I was going thanks to the lights outside coming through the balcony. As I was walking towards my bedroom I thought I saw my buddy just standing there in front of his room,but it looked more like a really dark shadow or figure, so I went over to tap him on the shoulder and my hand just went through this thing. At the moment I thought "WTH, okay my minds just playing games right now" and I go straight to bed pretty shaken up. So the next day I tell my buddy what happened, then he tells me his sister sees the same thing at her house, and she believes it's their mother who unfortunately took her own life couple years back. His sister believes she watches over them in front of their bedroom. Ya I was pretty shocked to say the least when he told me that.

uindicator said:
His sister believes she watches over them in front of their bedroom. Ya I was pretty shocked to say the least when he told me that.

Thanks for sharing your story: it's interesting, spooky, and kinda comforting all at the same time.

SHAYBARSABE said:
uindicator said:
His sister believes she watches over them in front of their bedroom. Ya I was pretty shocked to say the least when he told me that.

Thanks for sharing your story: it's interesting, spooky, and kinda comforting all at the same time.
Your welcome. I was a skeptic when it came to Spirits and the afterlife but after this experience it definitely made me think twice. It opened my eyes to the whole Fortean thing, i started looking into things that used to happen to me when I was a kid ,ie. I'd be sleeping but then wake up feeling like I was floating like 4 or 5 feet in the air but couldn't move, or I'd have those super vivid dreams where it was like i was awake in my dream, those were fun. I guess it's still a debate whether it's a spiritual thing or just a mental thing, at least I know I'm not the only one who experienced these things.

Back