Recent content by chris_in_LA

1. C

FT 271

Odd object embedded in flint- letters page I just read the digital version- okay, the letters page has something that really struck me. This is a reader that submitted a real-looking (at least) anomalous out-of-place geological oddity! Get thee to your nearest university geology department, or...
  2. C

D.B. Cooper: The Parachuting Airline-Hijacker

They might have found the parachute, but it isn't certain- I'm not sure how to post a permanent link, sorry if this goes away: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h73kW1SKrMtRmHhB_8hgOjjm9gPwD8VKRG000
  3. C

"Lizard Man" in South Carolina?

Wow, I remember years and years ago someone, maybe my uncle (who lives in Columbia, South Carolina) mentioning folkloric/media-hype tales of the Lizardman. That must have been when I was a kid, 25-30 years ago. I guess it enjoyed a brief notoriety for a while but I never heard any more about it.
  4. C

Buy FT in Los Angeles?

I've been searching for the latest issue- it hasn't turned up at the usual places. Where do you SoCal Forteans buy the magazine? Places I've usually found it: 1. Newstand on Robertson Blvd. at Pico. They usually have it only a month or so late. 2. Barnes&Noble on Rosecrans Blvd. near...
  5. C

Ancient Romans Trained Eels

Okay, maybe I've been taken in by a UL, but tonight my wife told me that SHE heard from SOMEBODY that the ancient Romans not only kept eels as beloved pets (okay, confirmed by Google), but also they had them TRAINED to hop out of their garden pond and wriggle around 'in terra' on voice command...
  6. C

The Museum of Jurassic Technology

Yes that place is great! It cracks me up when I visit and just wander around with a happy feeling of confusion. I love going with people and relishing their total bemusement also. We're lucky to have a place like that in a non-descript part of Los Angeles.
  7. C

Steampunk

Here's a good one: curious New York City subway from 1870. Cars tastefully appointed in velvet and wicker chairs. It was accidentally rediscovered when they were building the current sytem in the Teens. http://www.nycsubway.org/early/beach.html
  8. C

The Thread Of Sherlock Holmes

Wow I loved Stephen Fry in 'Wilde' and his little part in 'Longitude' was totally cool! But isn't he a little...um, generously proportioned?
  9. C

Jefferson and the Man In Black

That's a bad translation for the Latin- you can google it for a better one (better than I can remember here).
  10. C

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

Re: Maybe not weird enough... That sounds like a mass of caterpillars. They get together and feed or something- I've seen wriggling masses in trees. Maybe that was what it?
  11. C

Project UFO - Based on Project Bluebook

I remember the 'UFOs' were all really high-tech and hardware looking. Not like Spielberg's elfin lights. You could tell they 'kit-bashed' WWII tank and bomber pastic model kits to build the saucers. There was one episode where a child living in the Southwestern US or Mexico described a...
  12. C

How to pick up airmen and sheep

I have this book, "Project Coldfeet", by the Naval Institute Press where the US finds an abondoned Soviet ice station on an Arctic ice floe. The station has all kinds of cool stuff, so the CIA has this guy who parachutes down, grabs a bunch of booty, and gets picked up with the Fulton Skyhook...
  13. C

Paradoxes

This is kind of dumb, but on the elevator (lift) in my building, there is a sign that says "In case of fire, do not become alarmed. Press button marked Alarm and await help".
  14. C

Strange Clusters of Animal Bones

I used to live in Pensacola, Florida and would make frequent forays into the sparsely populated regions of southern Alabama. There were all sorts of weird and wonderful out-of-the-way places back on those sandy roads.
  15. C

Mad Cat Flap Attack

Well whatever it was keep Daisy inside for a few days until it moves on!