Recent content by Gloucestrian

1. G

"Noises In My Lane": Strangeness In Gloucester

The posters appeared in Gloucester apparently (didn't see one myself, so I cannot confirm) but the linked site's contact page gives an address in Ammanford, Carmarthenshire. Perhaps the title of this thread should have Ammanford and/or Carmarthenshire added.
  2. G

What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

It is a PDO (protected designation of origin) product nowadays. There are a few companies producing it, and I think the supply may increase in years to come, but at present the relatively low volume of production probably discourages supermarkets from stocking it. Which is a pity as it is a...
  3. G

Eat stronger cheese. Blue cheese is particularly good at inducing strange dreams. I prescribe frequent pear and stilton salads, and extra mature cheddar and onion sandwiches. You could even try a nice mature Double Gloucester cheese, or salads with a nice young Single Gloucester cheese if these...
  4. G

This is giving me the strongest impression that you are essentially a real life version of Nanny Ogg. (No offense intended, my favourite character).
  5. G

What Are You Eating & Drinking?

I broke my Lenten fast (no meat or fish) on Easter Sunday with Roast Duck. I just had a sandwich with the leftover duck - Duck, Peanut Butter and Chili Jam sandwich. Very tasty.
  6. G

Tech Help

Cool, thanks. There have been reports of bugginess with the driver for that laptop's USB controller (Intel xHCI) in Windows, especially after the Windows Anniversary Update a few years ago. My suggestion is that you try the laptop with a Linux live CD. Note, I am not suggesting that you switch...
  7. G

Tech Help

It also sounds like the USB host controller driver might be a bit buggy. What OS Graylien? (Relevant as I may have a suggestion that could allow you to test the controller)
  8. G

Phantom Shed Tidier

The local mice have obviously been doing it for a long time!
  9. G

Strange Strangers

Yes, this happens to me a lot. My partner has either recently become a ninja or my hearing is not as good as it used to be as she's taken to wandering off silently in the supermarket, leading to a couple of awkward occasions where I have asked perfect strangers if "we" need whatever I'm looking...
  10. G

First Hedgehog Of 2019

Climate does change over time anyway, and people change their crops with it. In my neck of the woods they grew grapes in the 14th century, hops in the 16th, cider apples and perry pears in the 19th, oilseed rape today. It's still too cold for grapes in the current climate, despite the average...
  11. G

Time Slipping

Interesting account, welcome to the forum! When did you first become aware something was unusual? Was it when you came to the arena or did something seem different before this?
  12. G

Seeking Tales Of Strangeness In Shropshire

Nothing Fortean to add, though that area is of interest to me also. In case you haven't read it one of Ellis Peters Cadfael novels is set mainly around that area - The Virgin in the Ice.
  13. G

Letter From Russia

Curious. The article to which you are responding is written by Peter Hitchens, not Christopher: the latter has been dead for 7 years. Furthermore in his late interviews he expressed quite different views to those offered up by his brother in this article.
  14. G

What's The Point?

I have a feeling that I am quite a lot younger than you but I too grew up without being able to afford tools, and have slowly acquired them over the past 20 years. But yes, you can't make your kids and descendants value your stuff. Ironically the fact that you have what sounds like a well...
  15. G

What's The Point?

Think you have a case of winter blues. I have been suffering from a low mood recently too. Did you enjoy gardening when you did it? If so, regardless of how neglected it may or may not be, I suggest the point was your enjoyment at that time. Live in the moment, not for some future time as that...