Recent content by UnknownUnknown

1. UnknownUnknown

Explain Your Avatar Here

Mine is Sappho. I like the look on her face, like "hmm, a talking mongoose you say?"
  2. UnknownUnknown

Christmas Wreaths

Wreaths were not a thing when I was a kid in northern England but I've seen more of them than I can shake a stick at this year in Glasgow. I think originally the symbolism is green life, foliage, in a circular formation, and so is about the cyclical nature of life and whatnot. Nowadays I think...
  3. UnknownUnknown

What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

I wish! One limb at a time.
  4. UnknownUnknown

Happy winter solstice folks! Raise a glass to the longest night tonight.

Happy winter solstice folks! Raise a glass to the longest night tonight.
  5. UnknownUnknown

What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

Taking paracetamol.
  6. UnknownUnknown

Contributions To A Symposium?

Hello all, as part of a wider project, I've been asked to think about trying to find someone who might be willing to speak at a small multidisciplinary symposium, on the subject of Stone Tape Theory / time / hauntings / things like that. Basically, how things that happen in the past might leave...
  7. UnknownUnknown

Charles Manson

I'd say that's a good illustration of 'reasonable doubt'.
  8. UnknownUnknown

Atheism

I see. My post was bridging from the RIP thread, which was in danger of going off topic. Some posters there has begun discussing whether atheists believed in afterlife-based punishment. I don't believe in that, but thought the discussion was interesting and worth relocating here. Has the link...
  9. UnknownUnknown

Atheism

That isn't my experience I'm afraid, so maybe this could be revised to 'some' atheists.
  10. UnknownUnknown

Atheism

Morning, I think you were responding to this post of mine. http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/atheism.29882/page-67#post-1719917
  11. UnknownUnknown

Atheism

But I don't believe in an afterlife. Sorry, I'm still confused about the proof. Do you want me to prove that I don't believe in anything after death? I can give you some anecdotes if you want, but f course that's not really proof.
  12. UnknownUnknown

Atheism

I'm sure some will disagree with you MrRING but what you say does chime with my own feelings on the matter. I suspect that even if someone popped up with 100% genuine acceptable proof of some deity's existence, I'd still have a hard time actually believing in said deity in the way that a theist...
  13. UnknownUnknown

Atheism

Could you expand? I'm not sure I follow - what is the 'thing' you think I'm assuming?' and what do you mean about proof?
  14. UnknownUnknown

The R.I.P. Thread

I've posted my reply to this in the Atheism thread http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/atheism.29882/page-67#post-1719917 as I didn't want to go too far off topic on this one. Hope that was a sensible thing to do. Anyway, the gist of it was that I am a proper 100% atheist (not...
  15. UnknownUnknown

Atheism

Just bumping this as a link from the conversation in The RIP Thread here: http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/the-rip-thread.30162/page-197#post-1719891 The question raised is whether atheists feel a desire for truly evil people (Charles Manson, Ian Brady, etc.) to be punished after...