• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Covert Sign Codes (Hobos, Tramps, Gypsies, Criminals, etc.)

Curiously someone on my local Facebook group claimed they had intruders earlier in the week that they managed to scare off, then came out to find a chalked arrow on the pavement pointing at their house, conerned enough about it to post and warn other people.

Not entirely convinced as burglars aren't the type to flag up a good mark to someone else, also doesn't sit well with most crimes of this type being opportunistic.

Funny thing I did discover is that the symbols are now commonly knows as Da Pinchi Code. :D
Da Pinchi Code: Police conclude 'innocent and explainable' symbols are not a mysterious criminal language
Independent, 2016

In London locksmiths periodically go round sticking small stickers on Entryphones and locks saying something like 'XYZ Lock Services Repair and Replacement 020 8 123 4567' The clever ones use transparent stickers that make it look like original official lettering on the device. You think 'Odd, I don't remember that makers printing being on the Entryphone, but I guess I am just not very observant'. If you remove the sticker, about 2 months later one re-appears.

This periodically causes local panics on social media, because someone warns everyone they are burglar's markers - 'A friend of a friend was burgled and then noticed one on their Entryphone; you see it gives them a legitimate excuse to approach your front door. The police know about it, when they rang the number it didn't exist. If you don't remove the sticker they know you are away '.

This got so bad that a consortium of locksmiths wrote a letter to the Evening Standard explaining that they used it as a legitimate and perfectly legal advertising mechanism with no nefarious intent.

This 2014 South African news item includes an extensive listing of signs allegedly used by criminals.
Cops warn of signs left by criminals

The hidden language of criminals who target suburban homes has been translated by police and shared with the public to help stop crimes before they happen.

At a meeting about vagrants and crime held at the Musgrave Library in Glenwood Village on Thursday, the metro police shared a list of signs that had been compiled with the SAPS over several months of attending crime scenes.

Metro police captain Dingaan Motsamai, who gave the presentation, explained how a “Z” painted on a stop sign, piles of stones and strategically placed crisp packets outside gates were signs left by criminals watching a house ahead of a burglary or armed robbery. ...

Motsamai warned that the use of hidden markers to target homes was on the rise.

The trend was first noticed in 2010 but had died down. Recently, though, police had seen several signs of it again. ...

These are the signs police are warning the public to watch for:

* “Z” painted on a stop sign or on the road - houses in street targeted for burglary.
* Pile of little stones - warns of dogs
* Two big stones together - two old people
* Stones in a row - indicates how many people in the house
* Swastika painted on road - houses in street targeted for burglary.
* Direction of the Swastika indicates which house is the target.
* Coke tin, red cloth, crisp packet etc - can expect resistance.
* 2 Coke tins indicates the owner is armed.
* Coke tin opening towards the house - someone is home.
* Upright Coke tin - nobody home.
* White sorghum carton, plastic bag - easy target.
* Sorghum carton facing towards house - target marked.
* White plastic bag on fence - easy target.
* Green was used as a direction marker.
* The direction that a bottle pointed indicated the direction the criminals should proceed.
* Blue and/or blue and white: Clicks packets, etc - easy target and someone inside will help.
* Simba (or Lays) chip packets were normally neatly folded, but sometimes weighed down by something inside the packet.
* Crisp packet facing the house - owner at home.
* Crisp packet facing the road - no-one home.
* Shoes and soles near or by the gate - no-one home and direction of the shoes indicates the escape route.
* Wrong numbers on your house or cell phone - checking if you are home.
* If electricity is off at the main box be aware of leaving the house open as people inside are targets.
* Sudden strange items in front of a house like a cardboard box, bricks, tree branch - do not stop to remove or you will be a target.
* Brick - normally indicates a car to be stolen.
* Two or three bricks (normally new bricks) - house robbery planned.
* The police advised home-owners to immediately remove and dispose of all markers and to keep pavements neat and tidy. He said the problem would be hard to imagine in urban areas because there are address and criminals could use “GPS” to locate their targets, which was not the case in rural areas.
* Two big stones together - two old people (are home). Stones placed in a row indicated the number of people in the house. Swazika painted on road showed houses in street targeted for burglary and its direction indicating the targeted house.
* A red coke tin, cloth, crisp packet, et cetera warned the attackers to “expect resistance”. Two coke tins warned that the owner was armed.
* The colour black - stock theft
* Poisoning: If a dog dies suddenly or vomits, check for black specks in the vomit or white powder near the dog. Report all dog poisonings to the SAPS who MUST give you a case number.
* Listen to your barking dog.
* Kiewiets (and geese) are excellent watch dogs. They sound the alarm when a human encroaches on their territory. Become aware of their various calls.
FULL STORY: https://www.iol.co.za/news/cops-warn-of-signs-left-by-criminals-1766937

I've noticed little stickers on my home town's name boundary signs - namely the Albanian flag, red and black double-headed eagle. Big enough to notice when you pass the sign, but not big enough to in any way obscure anything and warrant sending someone to clean it off.
I understand it's a way for Albanian gangs to show they operate in the area, but I can't say if there are any criminals among the Albanians who live here.

Back