• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Sallie House

Moooksta

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I looked for a thread on this and couldn't find one which surprised me.

I'd never heard this story until it was a "Paranormal Witness" episode a few nights ago. So I've been reading about it. I find it quite fascinating.

There also an mpeg out there on the information highway that claims it's a hoax!

Wondered if any other FT'ers had any thoughts on it?

The Sallie House haunting is in a class by itself. There have been full-bodied apparitions and objects flying through the air. Items have moved, been misplaced or lost only to reappear or show up later or at another location. Phantom furniture has been heard along with thumps, thuds, knocks, scratching, and the sounds of animals and disembodied human voices. Although some have been heard with the naked ear, there have been an amazing amount of EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomena) captured, further depicting the voices of men, women and children. Many have experienced extreme smells. Lastly, and most famously, there has been physical harm to the occupants and investigators in the form of scratches, burns and cuts. Although the majority of these attacks have often been centered on Tony Pickman, there have been a few others who have also been the focus of the physical harassment.

Investigations into this house continue, but it was initially investigated by the television show Sightings back when Tony and Debra Pickman lived there with their newborn son in 1993. Numerous psychics have entered the picture in order to help along the way, including Barbara Connor and the world-renowned Peter James who has worked on the haunting of the Queen Mary for many years. Paramount Pictures, the Travel Channel, KQ2 News out of St. Joseph, Missouri, Channel 4 News out of Kansas City, Kansas, the Discovery Channel and the Bography Channel have all been involved in documenting this story since 1993.

Some believe that what exists in the house is evil. Some believe that the entities within the house are reaching out and in need of our help. Some believe that Tony is doing it all himself (which doesn't seem like a viable assessment when the activity continues without his presence). Some believe there is much more going on there than we can imagine, and yet others think it has all been a hoax.

A multitude of monitoring equipment has been utilized to help determine what is causing the strange occurrences in this small little house on the bluffs of the Missouri River. The equipment includes, but is in no way limited to digital and analog voice recorders, infrared and heat sensitive video cameras, electromagnetic meters, environmental meters and more. Many investigative groups have used dousing rods, crystals, and pendulums. Some have tried to set up controlled ESP situations to experiment with more possibilities. Since the activity seems to be constant, some groups dedicated to learning more about the paranormal have used the house as an experimental laboratory. They have obtained some remarkable evidence, not only expanding on the history of the house but also furthering the study of paranormal activity.

What started out as the simple haunting of one little girl named Sallie has developed into a growing list. Some think that over the years more entities have come to resided with the walls of this houses. Do they just visit, do they call the place home, or has it become a doorway to the other side where the spirits we encounter move on after their visit?

SOURCE

Sallie House

This was on the old show Sightings here in the US. I belong to the Ghosts of Tombstone discussion.One of the members there Jerry Talbert is a paranormal investigator and has been ivovled off and on in investigating the place. I can't think right now of his paranormal group's name. But Google Sallie House and there should be various articles on the place.

I mentioned on the EVP (in 2007 it seems) about meeting a paranormal researcher who works with EVP. His name was Michael Esposito. He had visited the Sallie House on numerous occassions and knew the family quite well.

He played me some EVP stuff and told me how on one visit he had been scratched on the back and pushed backwards through the front door.

Ringo_ said:
He played me some EVP stuff and told me how on one visit he had been scratched on the back and pushed backwards through the front door.

I hope it was open at the time.

gncxx said:
Ringo_ said:

I hope it was open at the time.

:lol: I believe it was half open. They were on their way in after taking a break (IIRC) and he was struck in the chest with ebough force to send him backwards and out of the door again (allegedly).

I listened to a podcast on this the other day. Kinda boring podcast - he played a creepy EVP at the end after hyping it to hell. It WAS a bit scary but...meh. I'd like to hear a better podcast on it.

Thanks for the new forum BTW lads, you rock!

I listened to a podcast on this the other day. Kinda boring podcast - he played a creepy EVP at the end after hyping it to hell. It WAS a bit scary but...meh. I'd like to hear a better podcast on it.

Thanks for the new forum BTW lads, you rock!

It's pretty in-depth that's what I like about it. So you didn't think the sustained screaming by a sort of catbeast was up to much? :nails::D

It's pretty in-depth that's what I like about it. So you didn't think the sustained screaming by a sort of catbeast was up to much? :nails::D

It gave me a shiver when it first started. I can imagine it freaked the hell out of the guy who recorded it!
It's an okay podcast, but I think they ramble too much. I find myself using the "skip 30 seconds" button a LOT when I listen to one of their episodes.

It gave me a shiver when it first started. I can imagine it freaked the hell out of the guy who recorded it!
It's an okay podcast, but I think they ramble too much. I find myself using the "skip 30 seconds" button a LOT when I listen to one of their episodes.

The podcast is perfect for listening to doing gardening or housework etc. I must admit I'd struggle with it if I was just listening to it and doing nothing else. They got in several audio experts in for part 3
and none could figure out what made the EVP in that closed empty room

I quite like Buzzfeed and here is their Sallie investigation, (starts from 26 minute). Shane is the sceptic and for once even he looks a little unnerved.

Also the original investigation from the old Sightings tv show. The Pickmans are interviewed. A very good show and a must for anyone with an interest in the haunting.

love the MC that appears on Tony Pickman's back. MC Finney built the house and died shortly afterwards.

Last edited:
More from the Sallie House. Investigation by Prof. Sean M. Daley who gave permission for Astonishing Legends Podcast to use. Really good short clips.

I listened to all of the four looooooooooooooooong podcasts from Astonishing Legends on the Sallie House by now. In my defense, I do drive a lot and can no longer tolerate commercial radio stations, so podcasts it is for me.

Anyhow, it was interesting, but they could have cut it down a bit...

Also, I'm still not sold on that EVP. Too many people with the DR60 have recorded very similar sounds, which makes it more likely that this is a artifact of the machine. After all, that's why they were recalled.

I listened to all of the four looooooooooooooooong podcasts from Astonishing Legends on the Sallie House by now. In my defense, I do drive a lot and can no longer tolerate commercial radio stations, so podcasts it is for me.

Anyhow, it was interesting, but they could have cut it down a bit...

Also, I'm still not sold on that EVP. Too many people with the DR60 have recorded very similar sounds, which makes it more likely that this is a artifact of the machine. After all, that's why they were recalled.

Agreed everyone appears to get something from the DR60. As the sound recording expert said, he'd want to bring in the best non-digital equipment possible rather than the DR60 such as the Nagras.

What's your thoughts on the above footage?

What's your thoughts on the above footage?
With regard to the first clip, I can't help noticing that the moment the blind falls appears to coincide with a movement from the person in the grey sweatshirt on the right-side of the picture. If a hoaxer had happened to set up a remote release for the blind, then "casually" finding a more comfortable stance would be just the moment at which to trigger the release surreptitiously. Mind you, if you had gone to all that trouble, then presumably you'd just have the trigger person stand out of shot, although that in turn presumes that everyone present was in on the hoax. The other people seem slow to respond, as well - it's difficult for me to imagine a blind like that suddenly falling without making any noise at all, and I guess if you are on some kind of investigation, you would be on a hair-trigger for unexpected noises (I know I would be).

On the other hand, making a blind drop is suitably mundane - I have an unelaborated working hypothesis that begs a number of questions, not least around the actual existence or otherwise of some kind of spiritual plane which is inhabited by entities which seek to influence our own. But if you can wave your hands a bit and accept that premise, then I can see a vague parallel between that and trying to move or shout during sleep paralysis: it's almost impossible to do. So it might take huge amounts of effort on this hypothetical spiritual plane to have even the slightest effect on our physical plane. So moving footballs slightly, switching on flashlights or making blinds drop might be as much as any spirit can actually manifest, even if what they want to do is materialise in full surrounded by eerie lights and ethereal music.

It would be ever so dull to reduce everything to some guy snickering out of shot and fondling an actuator/tugging on a string, wouldn't it?

I saw it more as the blinds closing rather than falling. They were already covering the whole window but in the open position. Then the cord/handle was twisted and they closed. It wouldn't make much noise at all - maybe a squeak at most.

It wouldn't be hard to rig up something RC activated in the top part of the blind to twist the handle. If you could be bothered.

The second clip was really interesting. I don't know if it's real or not. I don't really want to know either. I just enjoy watching them.

Thing about the videos is, both could be faked. I'm not saying they are, but they could be.

And so the doubters will doubt and the believers will believe.

I don't really know why a supernatural entity would feel compelled to move a football or close some blinds. OTOH, I don't really know why people would fake it. It's baffling either way.

The thing with the Sallie House is the sheer number of recorded incidents, the huge amount of unrelated people getting these results and variety of technology used to record activity over a number of years. Everything being hoaxed would surely be as mysterious as some sort of weird entity being at work.

I tend to agree with Krepostnoi that some unknown but sentient energy is able to access our world at this spot.

However

I would like to see something a little more critical during investigations into the house. Mag lights turning on just don't cut it. Even with Daley's investigations, (he charges the public $65 to sit in), there are so many jammed into the house that ruling out fakery is impossible.

The house has been a money spinner and is often packed with people when it is opened up to the public. Many complaints cite that even during overnight stays people inside are constantly interrupted by people outside knocking on the doors or taking pictures through the windows.

What the place needs is a Bigalow-type to buy the house, put a fence around it and actually hire people who have more of an idea of acoustics, EMT, physics, etc.

I would also love an organisation to investigate without some self-proclaimed medium or psychic being present unless it's Derek obviously :D

Mag lights turning on just don't cut it.

Tell you what, the mag light turning itself off was the first sign something weird was afoot on my one and only ghost tour so far. Then weird things started to happen - and when the weirdness stopped, the mag light just turned itself on again. It was such a cliche - but IHTM.

The thing about weirdness is that it just refuses to stick to the old cause and effect routine. It just doesn't want to work that way.

And that's why I think these "investigations" will always be flawed.

Tell you what, the mag light turning itself off was the first sign something weird was afoot on my one and only ghost tour so far. Then weird things started to happen - and when the weirdness stopped, the mag light just turned itself on again. It was such a cliche - but IHTM.

The thing about weirdness is that it just refuses to stick to the old cause and effect routine. It just doesn't want to work that way.

And that's why I think these "investigations" will always be flawed.

Cool sounds fun!

The trouble is the way things are investigated are just so random at the moment. Dodgy old voice recorders, torches, some random old women who's "sensitive". It's no wonder the field is not taken seriously?

I'd start with decent recording equipment both visual and audio and a thermometer and build upwards. That covers the basics and move up from there.

I'd also place something to be moved in a clear sealed container on a flat surface for starters.

I don't think I agree about weirdness and cause and effect as we witness the effect but we just don't know the cause yet.

Thing about the videos is, both could be faked. I'm not saying they are, but they could be.... I don't really know why people would fake it.

Even with Daley's investigations, (he charges the public $65 to sit in), there are so many jammed into the house that ruling out fakery is impossible.

Here's the thing. I myself am involved with "Paranormal Entertainment". I have rigged rooms, cellars and stages to produce inexplicable paranormal phenomena. If there is money in it, someone will want it to continue and to produce results. The owners of the house may be raking it in.

I have begun to create a project where people come on a normal, genuine Paranormal Investigation but then I slowly turn it into a Ghostwatch scenario. They will only know that it's not all real at the end. The Sallie House is rife with legend and expectations - it would be so easy to make money there especially with a little help along the way from those behind the scenes.

I have begun to create a project where people come on a normal, genuine Paranormal Investigation but then I slowly turn it into a Ghostwatch scenario. They will only know that it's not all real at the end. The Sallie House is rife with legend and expectations - it would be so easy to make money there especially with a little help along the way from those behind the scenes.

doitdoitdoitdoit!!!!!!!!!

Back