• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

And here's a vignette from the (former?) paranormal.About.com. This one, though, I always found funny rather than scary:

August 2004
Attacked By a Lawn Chair
by Bray

We have a hunting camp up in Georgia. We go there every year around Thanksgiving time. One year, my dad invited a few of his friends and their wives. The house that we stayed in was an old, rundown house built in the 1800s by a widow named Gertrude. Her name is inscribed on the side of the brick steps that lead up to the house. My dad installed running water and electricity to the house.

My uncles would always tell my brother and I, "Don't do nothing bad, 'cause Gert's watchin' you." This was about two years ago, and at the time I was 15, so naturally, my brother and I were all like, "Ya, right, sure, uncle." My brother and I slept in Gerty's house on the only two beds that were in there, and all of my dad's friends slept on lawn chairs (yes, foldable lawn chairs).

Every night, weird things would happen (lights flickering, missing things, wrappers of food left everywhere, etc.), so my brother and I thought it was our uncles messing with us. So, yet again, we continued to believe that ghosts and other paranormal things did not exist, until....

Three nights into the hunting trip, as my brother and I started to fall asleep, we (all 8 of us that were in the house) heard a blood-curdling, deep, loud scream coming from the across the living room (where we all slept). My brother turned on the light switch to find one of my dad's friends being WRAPPED UP in his lawn chair! I mean, the lawn chair was BENDING AROUND his body like Saran Wrap. Then, it looked as if someone pushed him down, and he hit the floor with a loud bang. Needless to say, whatever it was that was kicking his ass, wouldn't let him go. It was as if it were kicking him the whole way that he scrambled to the door way. It took three grown men to unwrap the lawn chair from around his body. Needless to say, he RAN LIKE HELL to his truck, and hauled ass to his home 17 hours away.

For some reason, Gerty did NOT like that man. I mean, she was not a mean spirit at all. She would always help in the kitchen by firing up the stove just minutes before my uncles would go in there and cook. The only problems we had with her was that one night. After that, no more flickering lights, no more missing gear, and no more trash.

No, just normal tarmac on the pavement, as far as I can remember. There wasn't anything in it's place, either. Just an empty bit of pavement.

I see your train of thought, that maybe it was being removed and put back? I have considered that, in later years... but ruled it out for two reasons:
- It was one of the old, heavy red phone boxes, you know the nice traditional ones, so would have been difficult to move
-This happened so frequently that it wouldn't have made sense for British Telecom or whoever is in charge of such things, to keep doing that.

:)

Oh and, my dad sometimes made phone calls from it (we didn't have a phone in our house) and I was always fascinated watching him make the phone calls (it had a dial as well, this was pre-push button :) ) so it was definitely a working telephone box.

Zebs phone box reminds me of the Bear at "Bear flat" in Bath.

There is a pub called the Bear on Wells road leading out of Bath, It has a large polar bear over the porch.
Ever since we have moved this is a regular route for us to and from the city, I have known Bath for years and can remember looking out for this landmark as a child whilst being driven through and on a couple of occasions it not being spotted (we played I-spy a lot).

Yet the position of this fairly un-miss able object constantly surprises me as I am convinced it should be on the other side of the road, near what is now the co-op.

I have checked with locals- who thought I was barmy- it has always been where it is now.

Zebs phone box reminds me of the Bear at "Bear flat" in Bath.

There is a pub called the Bear on Wells road leading out of Bath, It has a large polar bear over the porch.
Ever since we have moved this is a regular route for us to and from the city, I have known Bath for years and can remember looking out for this landmark as a child whilst being driven through and on a couple of occasions it not being spotted (we played I-spy a lot).

Yet the position of this fairly un-miss able object constantly surprises me as I am convinced it should be on the other side of the road, near what is now the co-op.

I have checked with locals- who thought I was barmy- it has always been where it is now.

Yup, this has happened to me too. I regularly travel through an area where I somehow got the direction wrong so expected the landmarks in the wrong order. I'd see a music club and think hold on, shouldn't I have already passed that?

Took me a while to re-orientate myself! Still not totally convinced.

finished reading "operation trojan horse" yesterday, among a bunch of other stuff we had:
MIB-like people claiming they build the airships seen in the 1909 and 1897 ufo flaps, bearded airship men, classical charles fort mistery sky falls, purple jelly raining from the sky, a half peeled potato falling from a airship, a MIB eating jelly due to *ahem* "stomach problems", a woman being possesed by a alien being and asking "what is your time cycle?", a couple teleporting from argentina to mexico, aliens nagging a man to tell people about secret quartz crystals that heal cancer, a entire chapter (!) about bizzare fake planes and helicopters sometimes seen chasing UFOs other times buzzing random military bases, meteorites not behaving the way meteorites should, suspicious chinese men and women wearing formal outfits coming out of UFOs, aliens trying to steal dogs for some ridiculous reason, MIB's wearing illuminaty pyramid pins
and this is just half of the insanity in that book

finished reading "operation trojan horse" yesterday, among a bunch of other stuff we had:
MIB-like people claiming they build the airships seen in the 1909 and 1897 ufo flaps, bearded airship men, classical charles fort mistery sky falls, purple jelly raining from the sky, a half peeled potato falling from a airship, a MIB eating jelly due to *ahem* "stomach problems", a woman being possesed by a alien being and asking "what is your time cycle?", a couple teleporting from argentina to mexico, aliens nagging a man to tell people about secret quartz crystals that heal cancer, a entire chapter (!) about bizzare fake planes and helicopters sometimes seen chasing UFOs other times buzzing random military bases, meteorites not behaving the way meteorites should, suspicious chinese men and women wearing formal outfits coming out of UFOs, aliens trying to steal dogs for some ridiculous reason, MIB's wearing illuminaty pyramid pins
and this is just half of the insanity in that book
Yes, good, isn't it!

escargot said:

Years ago there was a Guardian article about trees that appeared and disappeared. They'd be in a historical record, then there'd be a newspaper report about them being cut down, then they'd be back.

One of my goals in life is to expand an annotate John Keel's Strange Creatures from Time and Space. In that book Keel spends a few pages describing Mount Misery on Long Island, New York and the strange things that occur there. His main source was an article by Jaye P. Paro, a local radio personality ("Mount Misery: Long Island's Weird Mystery," Paro, Jaye P., Beyond Vol. 2, no. 11 (July 1969), pp. 91-102). Aside from UFOs, ghosts, and a weird, hairy hermit, there were reports of moving trees. Ms. Paro was exploring the area with Robert Doman and Stephen Reguess, two local young men:

"When the boys told me that shrubbery had been known to move on Mount Misery, I was naturally skeptical and decided to make a test under the supervision of a local private agency which investigates psychic phenomena. The two boys sprayed roadside trees with white paint and applied distinguishing paint marks on the ground to mark the position of the trees.

"When we returned two days later the paint was still on some of the trees but there was none on the ground under the tree. In two other cases the paint was still on the ground but there was none on the nearest trees. The trees had apparently moved."

Donald G. Huffstutler, a fellow paranormal investigator, sent Paro a report on his own explorations, which mentioned a similar "displacement" of a derelict car:

“On my first visit to Mt. Misery, our party came upon a wrecked automobile in the middle of one of the dirt roads in the area. The car was so severely burned that it was difficult to determine the make and year. Other members of the party felt sure it was a Ford, but I cannot be sure. At any rate, there were no tires or rims and the axles were sunk in the dirt. I made a note of the location of the vehicle and it is doubtful that we would have forgotten the location as we spent some time studying the wreck. The next time we visited the area, the vehicle had moved its location. There were no drag marks as if it had been towed; tires could not have been used to drive it to its new location. More important than the means of moving it, is the question of why it would have been moved. It served no purpose in either location, other than to block the road. Also, on the first trip we observed the roof of an automobile completely surrounded by tall grass and brush. So thick was the brush that we could not get to it. On our second visit, the vehicle was gone and there was no sign in the area that it had ever been there at all. Our second visit was too soon for the brush to have grown up to cover the crushed area that the automobile must have made. Yet the entire area was now completely covered with the tall grass and brush."

Escargots tale of historical trees disappearing and reappearing rings a bell, I am sure this was on local TV ( in the south west) about 8 years ago in connection with a recently published book about interesting & historical trees, the chap being interviewed said that some of the trees had changed sides of the road. Then shifted back when he decided they had been cut down.
Never considered trees to be sneaky before,

escargot said:

One of my goals in life is to expand an annotate John Keel's Strange Creatures from Time and Space. In that book Keel spends a few pages describing Mount Misery on Long Island, New York and the strange things that occur there. His main source was an article by Jaye P. Paro, a local radio personality ("Mount Misery: Long Island's Weird Mystery," Paro, Jaye P., Beyond Vol. 2, no. 11 (July 1969), pp. 91-102). Aside from UFOs, ghosts, and a weird, hairy hermit, there were reports of moving trees. Ms. Paro was exploring the area with Robert Doman and Stephen Reguess, two local young men:

"When the boys told me that shrubbery had been known to move on Mount Misery, I was naturally skeptical and decided to make a test under the supervision of a local private agency which investigates psychic phenomena. The two boys sprayed roadside trees with white paint and applied distinguishing paint marks on the ground to mark the position of the trees.

"When we returned two days later the paint was still on some of the trees but there was none on the ground under the tree. In two other cases the paint was still on the ground but there was none on the nearest trees. The trees had apparently moved."

Donald G. Huffstutler, a fellow paranormal investigator, sent Paro a report on his own explorations, which mentioned a similar "displacement" of a derelict car:

“On my first visit to Mt. Misery, our party came upon a wrecked automobile in the middle of one of the dirt roads in the area. The car was so severely burned that it was difficult to determine the make and year. Other members of the party felt sure it was a Ford, but I cannot be sure. At any rate, there were no tires or rims and the axles were sunk in the dirt. I made a note of the location of the vehicle and it is doubtful that we would have forgotten the location as we spent some time studying the wreck. The next time we visited the area, the vehicle had moved its location. There were no drag marks as if it had been towed; tires could not have been used to drive it to its new location. More important than the means of moving it, is the question of why it would have been moved. It served no purpose in either location, other than to block the road. Also, on the first trip we observed the roof of an automobile completely surrounded by tall grass and brush. So thick was the brush that we could not get to it. On our second visit, the vehicle was gone and there was no sign in the area that it had ever been there at all. Our second visit was too soon for the brush to have grown up to cover the crushed area that the automobile must have made. Yet the entire area was now completely covered with the tall grass and brush."
This is very similar to an account given by Scott Barber of Seattle in Fate in Feb 1994 (reprinted in True Mystic Experiences, ed Jennifer Spees, 2001). I'll see if I can upload a scan:

Attachments

• Walk in the woods.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 53
Escargots tale of historical trees disappearing and reappearing rings a bell, I am sure this was on local TV ( in the south west) about 8 years ago in connection with a recently published book about interesting & historical trees, the chap being interviewed said that some of the trees had changed sides of the road. Then shifted back when he decided they had been cut down.

Sounds exactly like the article I read!

One of my goals in life is to expand an annotate John Keel's Strange Creatures from Time and Space.
a lot of things happened since then: UFO landings and flaps grounded to a halt, BEK's appeared and the mothman returned this time to chicago

escargot said:

Oh, cool. How brilliant would that have been to experience!

Also cool!

*Zebs wanders off mumbling about why nothing cool like that happens to her anymore*

"When I was about 12, my mom and I were traveling cross country to move. We were staying the night in Missouri, at a typical roadside hotel next to an Applebee’s, so we went in for dinner. It was packed, despite us being one of only a couple guests at the hotel, so we sat up at the bar. We noticed something weird after a few seconds - every single person had a glass of milk in front of them. Even the dudes around the bar. Nothing else, just a tall glass of milk. Someone opened the fridge under the center bar and we saw just gallons of milk. The bartender took our dinner orders and brought each of us a glass of milk without us asking for anything to drink. It was so fucking weird. My mom told me not to drink it.

On our way back to our room my mom stopped at the front desk and asked the woman working there, half-jokingly and half-concerned, why everyone drinks so much milk in this town. The woman said she had no idea what she was talking about and we just moved on. When we were putting our leftovers in the mini fridge up in our room, there were like ten mini-cartons of milk. No brand, just the word MILK in black lettering.

It was a weird place and I’ve never been able to figure it out.

Edit: This happened 17 years ago, but it was a pretty formative experience during a really weird road trip. I recently posted on this account about a different strange hotel experience we had in Texas. So! A) The Applebee’s and hotel were both off I-70. I always remembered it being Missouri, but a family member of mine seems to think it was another state, maybe Kansas. B) I had a glass of water along with my milk, and the water in the hotel worked just fine. C) When my mom said something like “oh, no thanks, water is fine” when the bartender set down the glasses of milk in front of us, I remember he sort of chuckled and shook his head like she was joking.

Edit 2: Until my mother passed away last year, this was one of the key stories we’d trot out at dinner parties and family gatherings. I’m sure that over the years, additions and subtractions were made to the story. That’s just what happens over time. This thread isn’t about dismantling posts and searching for the ultimate truth, but if it is, it’s certainly not the place for me. I don’t really want anyone to find out what dang Applebee’s this took place in because then it’s not a special story anymore. If I keep wracking my brain trying to search for tiny details from a decade ago I’ll do all of us a disservice. Let’s keep an open mind together. That’s the best part about these threads: belief in something weird and inexplicable is one of the most fun aspects of reddit. Thanks /u/MercuryCrest for such a fun thread! I love everyone’s posts."
reddit is a goldmine for this stuff
i think someone one day should pick all accounts in this high strangeness threads and stuff from that IHTM book and make a book about the weirdest paranormal events ever, name it something like "the black book of the cosmic trickster"
instant bestseller

keel makes a very brief mention in his book "disneyland of the gods" of sightings of misterious scuba divers seen exiting bodies of water across america and then entering MIB-esque black cars
sadly he din't give an example of such a report, something wich i found quite disappointing

keel makes a very brief mention in his book "disneyland of the gods" of sightings of misterious scuba divers seen exiting bodies of water across america and then entering MIB-esque black cars
sadly he din't give an example of such a report, something wich i found quite disappointing

funny that

I always liked his "many of the UFO folk are dark-skinned or look like indian or negros" - they are the bad ones but the "Pale" ones with "normal complexions" are never near the threat of the "negro".

http://www.johnkeel.com/?m=201807

Last edited:

Pics or it never happened. Sheesh. Sources at least!

I always liked his "many of the UFO folk are dark-skinned or look like indian or negros" - they are the bad ones but the "Pale" ones with "normal complexions" are never near the threat of the "negro".
yes he noticed this and talked about it in "our haunted planet", he even said that many nordic UFOnauts made openly racist remarks sometimes during contact
he even speculated that maybe racism originated when a ultraterrestrial told a shaman that the enemy tribe was inferior

yes he noticed this and talked about it in "our haunted planet", he even said that many nordic UFOnauts made openly racist remarks sometimes during contact
he even speculated that maybe racism originated when a ultraterrestrial told a shaman that the enemy tribe was inferior
Hmmm. I'd have expected an advanced race to be more enlightened. Less narrow-minded. Less arrogant.
What a disappointment.

... one of my dad's friends being WRAPPED UP in his lawn chair! I mean, the lawn chair was BENDING AROUND his body like Saran Wrap. Then, it looked as if someone pushed him down, and he hit the floor with a loud bang. Needless to say, whatever it was that was kicking his ass, wouldn't let him go. It was as if it were kicking him the whole way that he scrambled to the door way ...
drunk in charge of a lawn chair (the long one, not the short one, by the sound of it) ?

Hmmm. I'd have expected an advanced race to be more enlightened. Less narrow-minded. Less arrogant.
What a disappointment.
Why so? Technological advancement doesn't require ethical motivation or an ethical framework. It's a nice idea, but there's no reason to assume any advanced race, technologically speaking, would be advanced in any other way.

Why so? Technological advancement doesn't require ethical motivation or an ethical framework. It's a nice idea, but there's no reason to assume any advanced race, technologically speaking, would be advanced in any other way.
this actually has all the characteristics of some interdimensional entity trying to cause havock in a primitive and chaotic society

I used to believe that technology allowed people more time to think about the great mysteries of life. Technology would free us from the constant struggle of finding food and raising offspring.

I believed technology would help us evolve into a more balanced and humane race that would leap towards the stars and one day challenge the gods.

Then the internet came along...

the balloon bigfoot saga:
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...01473794/bigfoot_dog.jpg?width=400&height=226
Location. Near Walla Walla, Washington Date: August 2005 Time: afternoon A man reported seeing a Bigfoot-like figure on three glowing (or metallic) red balls hovering over the freeway about 75 yards in the air. The witness slowed his vehicle to about 10 mph to get a better view when the figure began to fly north across a wheat field. He could only see the back of the creature and it was solid black with what appeared to be a suit, or hairy cloak, sitting on what appeared to be three spheres connected together. These large round ball shaped objects had a candy apple metallic glow to them. Shocked he pulled over. He could see what appeared to be a dead dog, possibly a black and white sheltie, hanging from the left side of this vehicle on a rope. The figure then flew across the field towards Smith Road. The witness jumped in his car and sped northeast to Sapoli Road where he turned and proceeded to speed at around 70 miles an hour toward Smith Road. He got there and turned left, cutting the figure off so he could see it better. At this point it realized the witness was following it and turned and flew more westerly from which it came. He could not get in a position to see it again after that. HC addendum Source: Bigfootreferenceguide.com
*thanks to albert rosales

Was this "Bigfoot" reclining across the glowing balls or balancing on them? Difficult to get a mental picture of this one!

Back