• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Discovery's back, I've just been watching it. They've increased the humour, but overdone it a bit so it seems like they're not taking it seriously in places, Tilly is now a cartoon character for example. Not sure what all the Spock business at the end was about, but I'm sure all will be explained. Red shirt didn't die! They're clearly messing with us.

Thanks for the heads up. Forgot it was coming back.

Thought it was pretty good. Waiting to see where it goes.

Frankly, after Galaxy Quest, Star Trek was finished. Nothing ever touched the original series anyway. I wanted Khan to win.

Did you not think Tilly is basically Orko from He-Man or Snarf from Thundercats now?
I do not understand those references.

I think in Season 1, they made a strong case that Tilly was the smartest person on the ship, but was held back by anxiety issues. I think they're still building her up, but she's definitely more confident now she's got an actual rank and is on the command track.

Looking at Wikipedia, I think you're trying to imply she's shrill and annoying. I don't really think she is. As I said, she's very intelligent, and extremely awkward - not an unknown combination. She seems to be using an outwardly positive attitude to cover up not only self-doubt, but also a less than happy home life. (See the pre-season "Short Trek" featuring her.) Again, not an unknown coping mechanism.

Maybe I like her because I identify with all her emotional and psychological issues. Or maybe I'm projecting to some extent. I still like her as a character. I like most of them to some extent, and at least Tilly hasn't started any wars, or tried to kill any of her crewmates, or slept with a Klingon spy, or lost complete contact with reality...

I think in Season 1, they made a strong case that Tilly was the smartest person on the ship, but was held back by anxiety issues. I think they're still building her up, but she's definitely more confident now she's got an actual rank and is on the command track.

Looking at Wikipedia, I think you're trying to imply she's shrill and annoying. I don't really think she is. As I said, she's very intelligent, and extremely awkward - not an unknown combination. She seems to be using an outwardly positive attitude to cover up not only self-doubt, but also a less than happy home life. (See the pre-season "Short Trek" featuring her.) Again, not an unknown coping mechanism.

Maybe I like her because I identify with all her emotional and psychological issues. Or maybe I'm projecting to some extent. I still like her as a character. I like most of them to some extent, and at least Tilly hasn't started any wars, or tried to kill any of her crewmates, or slept with a Klingon spy, or lost complete contact with reality...
Enjoyed it myself, especially the "I will say fewer things" moment.

I didn't mean she was annoying, though I can see how she could be, more that she's the cutesy comic relief to defuse the tension brought about by impending violence.

I'm just watching The Orville and has also been pleasantly surprised. I consider Family Guy to be garbage. I though Orville was a sit com but this feels like a Trek series with a bit of comedy added.

Same here. Didn't expect much, but really enjoying it now.

I didn't mean she was annoying, though I can see how she could be, more that she's the cutesy comic relief to defuse the tension brought about by impending violence.
OK, I understand. I suppose I'm a bit defensive about it. As I said, I don't really get those references, so was basing it on a quick read of Wikipedia, rather than any actual understanding. Never watched either show. I think I was too old for both of them, or at least I thought I was too old for He-Man. (Definitely too old for Thundercats.)

OK, I understand. I suppose I'm a bit defensive about it. As I said, I don't really get those references, so was basing it on a quick read of Wikipedia, rather than any actual understanding. Never watched either show. I think I was too old for both of them, or at least I thought I was too old for He-Man. (Definitely too old for Thundercats.)

Don't worry about it. Or maybe if I mentioned Scrappy-Doo? OK, now you can worry.

Don't worry about it. Or maybe if I mentioned Scrappy-Doo? OK, now you can worry.
I'm ashamed to say I know that reference, and I will kill anyone who compares Tilly to him...

So Tilly isn't Scrappy-Doo - she's Wesley Crusher! Kind of weird religious vibe to this week's, like they took what Harlan Ellison described as Gene Roddenberry's one idea and are using it again, that idea being the crew of the Enterprise meet God. Handy they had that asteroid, right?

What kind of accent was it that adult May had? It puzzled me.

Her adult accent was distinctly South Asian, and she looked it too. As a child, however, she appeared to be African American, which I found a bit confusing, to be honest - this has to be somehow intentional though. Presumably Tilly's interaction with the little chunk of asteroid has made her somehow present in (or at least aware of) more than one reality or timeline.

I enjoyed it - very close in spirit to Classic Trek, it's not busily trying to cram dozens of ideas in at once, and I think it's kind of relaxed into itself now.

Tilly seems to have her own Farscape-style Harvey. Still get bored with Klingon bollocks after all these years, despite Michelle Yeoh's involvement. Is Spock in this show or what? Nice to see Mia Kirshner again. Another Canadian in space to go with Shatner.

Yeah, I'm hoping the Klingon thing takes a backseat too.

Farscape Harvey :) .

Spock was in the trailer, so he does show up. Though I preferred he didn't.
The klingon-thing felt to me as if they were just trying to tie up some loose ends. Though I liked the hairless klingons.

Spock was in the trailer, so he does show up. Though I preferred he didn't.

Every time Mike's at the transporter, she eagerly awaits Spock's arrival and is always disappointed. At this rate he'll show up in the finale.

Spock was in the trailer, so he does show up
..apparently channelling OddBod from Carry On Screaming.
20190203_091616.png

This week's felt more like an old school Trek episode, encountering a new life form and all that. Nice idea to have it communicate with viruses - the universal translator malfunction was funny. But I knew they wouldn't kill off Doug. Still no Spock, either.

They took it to the edge, but I knew they wouldn't, either.

Impressed they could get Harry Dean Stanton in female form as the new engineer though. She's fab :) .

They took it to the edge, but I knew they wouldn't, either.

Impressed they could get Harry Dean Stanton in female form as the new engineer though. She's fab :) .
Yeah, Tig's been great in the two brief appearances she's made so far. The rivalry with Stamets is interesting, too.

Don't know where they're going with Saru, though. Hope they don't futz up his character.

The "And here's Mr Spock! Ah, no, only joking!" bit in every episode is starting to get a little tiresome. The way it's going, he'll be the New Coke of Vulcans.

"The only thing worse for a Mr Spock to be talked about is not to be talked about" - Oscar Wilde.

Still no sign of him, but we did get an alien planet (blue leaves!). And robo-lady got something to do this episode, imagine being that actress, spending hours in makeup just to stand at a desk in the background.

Ah, here he is! Late to the party or what? Pity he turned out to be useless, doing a Lost numbers impersonation.

Anyway, more interesting is Robo-lady finally has relevance to the plot - she has a virus! Hannah Cheesman is the actress's name, here's her IMDB page if you want to see what she looks like as a human:
Hannah's page

Oh, and not so much fast cutting in Michelle Yeoh's fight scenes, I want to see those moves.

Oh, and not so much fast cutting in Michelle Yeoh's fight scenes, I want to see those moves.
I've been saying that the whole time. American directors don't get Hong Kong action scenes. A lot of Jackie Chan's US films have the same problem, unless they let him or one of his collaborators do the action scenes.

I've been saying that the whole time. American directors don't get Hong Kong action scenes. A lot of Jackie Chan's US films have the same problem, unless they let him or one of his collaborators do the action scenes.

Biggest offender of recent times is Mile 22: I didn't see it when I heard Iko Iwais' combat scenes had been ruined by the insistence on "one punch, one shot" editing. What's the point of getting a fight choreographer if you're going to do that? Heck, what's the point of getting Michelle or Iko? Danny DeVito could look like a martial arts expert with that cutting approach.

I have just joined Netflix, and the first thing I watched, so far, four epis of STD, and I really like it, I will watch some more tomorrow

Back