• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unhappy Houses & Odd Happenings

Vida Loca

Devoted Cultist
I have lived in 2 houses that I believe were blighted with strange happenings and I wasn't happy there no matter what I dd to them. My first odd house was on a Council Estate and despite wanting to move there we couldn't wait to leave and did so after just 2 years to buy the second house. The house never felt happy or right no matter what decorating etc was done. This was way back in the early 80s. One night we had been watching Salems Lot on the TV which was unbelievably scary and after it had finished I decided to get ready for bed so went to the bathroom to clean my teeth etc. The bathroom was horrible despite putting very expensive wallpaper I had been given on one wall and painting the rest white. Anyway, the bathroom had a small window that looked out onto a green. We were half way up a mountain and there were lots of trees behind the house but not close. As I walked in I could here a scratching and tapping at the window. I nearly jumped out of my skin and rushed back out. I did not imagine it and there was nobody outside as we checked as I was so shook up. Another time my daughter said she saw something outside the front bedroom window which scared her so much she screamed. I didn't take much notice as I put it down to childish things or whatever. However it happened again another night when she was settling down in bed. I was quite cross with her and told her to stop being silly. We lived in a split level house and at the back was a room which I used as a 'best room' with lovely furniture and a cream pile carpet. It was seldom used and the door was always kept shut to keep the dogs out. I went in there one day to do some dusting and saw muddy cat paw prints up the wall by the window which was never opened - we didn't have cats but we had a couple of dogs. There were no muddy paw prints anywhere else. Must have been a clever cat! Which brings me to the one thing that was really eerie for me. I was sat in the downstairs lounge reading and the front door leading into the hallway and stairs was wide open. We had one dog that was always up to mischief and used to play up. He was outside on this occasion but must have sneaked back in. My daughter was upstairs in her bedroom. Suddenly she shouted that the dog was upstairs and playing her up. I went to shout back at her to send him down when suddenly I heard a voice clearly shouting "Don't worry he has gone now" after the dog came hurtling down the stairs. It was MY voice!!! I have never forgotten this as it really puzzled me and shook me up especially when my daughter confirmed the voice as well.

I will write about the other house in another posting.

Last edited:
House no 2 and this one I believe was not only unlucky but was haunted. Lived there for many years and things only began to get odd when the neighbour next door found a very old silver coin that had been put above the front door when it was being built. The houses are over a hundred years old and I recently found out this was a custom here to keep away bad things as a sort of protection. Old shoes have also been found in a few houses for the very same reason. But I digress.

So, house no 2 was an old terraced house that had been refurbished. I wont go into the depths of the bad luck we had there after the coin was shown to me by the nightmare neighbour who had stupidly cleaned it up thus devaluing it. By my description of the neighbour I expect you can imagine the type of individual and the bad luck. Prior to this, he was a minor 'irritant' and my house was homely and welcoming. Many people commented about the cosiness and felt relaxed there. Maybe it was coincidence but things really started getting quite odd in the house. The atmosphere changed completely and it felt dark and oppressive no matter what I did to it it felt 'negative'. Again this was noticed by us and by visitors who also commented that the mood had changed. My daughter wanted a bigger bedroom so she swopped to the front larger bedroom and I had the smaller back bedroom. Then the 'fun' really began. She began suffering from disturbed sleep and outbursts with crying that there was a man in her room something she had never done before. I put it down to just one of those things until the screaming hysterics and crying started to become a regular occurrence. I had to leave the landing light on after that but still things happened. I got fed up with the histrionics and having to rush to the bedroom to try and calm her. I lost my temper in the end and would snap at her to stop her antics or I would ground her and not let her have treats. I also decided to change bedrooms and hope that this was going to put an end to the disruptions and her distressed outbreaks. The hysterical outbursts from my daughter consisted of her seeing a 'black faced' grinning man showing his teeth and she wasn't asleep when she saw him. She even pointed across the room at him and there was nothing there to see which made me angry with her. This man would grin widely and often come close to her bed. I truly felt my daughter was having some kind of mental health issue it was really troubling us both. Not forgetting her previous behaviour in the other house some years before, I begged her not to carry on with her antics and she promised she would shut up after moving rooms. I put it all down to teenage hormones and a very fertile imagination or maybe even that something was really wrong with her. Anyway we both settled in our respective bedrooms and all was forgotten on my part. That was until things started happening to me. I never ever saw anything or heard anything. What I experienced every night was a warm patch down the bottom left hand side of the bed as if someone had been sitting there. The house was cold and I would need a hot water bottle in the Winter. The bed was cold generally except for this one spot. I even woke up a few times feeling someone had sat on the bed but put that down to my imagination and the semi awake thing. I wasn't going to say anything to my daughter to freak her out again. Since moving home I have never ever had a warm patch on my bed. One night I was in terrible pain with a back injury and lying on my stomach unable to sleep when I felt a light smoothing touch right on the spot that was hurting massaging me. I freaked out I wasn't half awake I was wide awake. It never happened again thankfully and I began to wonder about my daughters experiences but said nothing.

Fast forward some years later and said daughter now has a partner and children of her own. Very hard working and very level headed thankfully. So one day we are reminiscing about general things as you do. I raised the issue about the antics surrounding her and the smiling man with the 'black face'. I challenged her about it stating she was so silly and was playing games with me which had made me cross. She said that she wasn't playing up it was all true and that she had seen him many times afterwards usually standing in the corner of the living room. She wasn't lying or making it up. I told her she should have said something about it but she said she had learned better to shut up rather than get me cross with her. As far as I know nobody else has ever seen him. I thought her description of the man was odd however some years later I am doing research and Genealogy as a pastime. I come across the transcripts for a Census for the street and look at the entry for the house. It was inhabited by a husband and wife along with 2 lodgers who were Coal Miners! Which explains the face!

I always find these tales of houses with bad atmospheres fascinating. I suppose because I lived in one myself during my teenage years. It was a four bedroom semi-detached house in suburbia - Ickenham, West London. Spooky noises at night - footsteps running down the landing - the feeling of someone entering a room behind you and no-one there etc. One night when I was eighteen, myself and three friends who were staying over on our own got so genuinely spooked that we even ended up calling the priest. I wrote it up more fully on a thread in the ghosts forum about bad houses I do believe. Nothing which can't be explained away rationally. Anyway, it's the atmosphere that stays with me the most now. The feeling that the house was larger than it actually was - a feeling of 'remoteness' if that makes sense. 26 years since I left the house, but I still dream of it now. I found an old diary I kept over Christmas. There were more than a few odd entries that I can't remember why I wrote them - about having to sleep in the living room as it was 'too scary everywhere else' and later on, during a very unhappy period, another entry was 'maybe it's this f**cking house'. Gave me the creeps just reading it.

As an update. Hubby and I have been offered a move back to house no 2 by renting it off the new owners once it has been done up. We turned it down. I am not putting myself back into a negative situation with unhappy/unpleasant memories, eerie things etc etc. I also wouldn't be able to sleep. So no thanks I am staying put! ( this might also tie in with my reverse life thread come to think of it)

I have not lived in one, but know of one. My mother & step father on moving from the city bought what could be called a country estate. It was a large home on a couple of hundred acres with a couple of smaller houses on the property that in days gone by, the staff or manual workers would have lived in. One we called the Stable House as it was attached to the stable complex, the other we called the Gate House as it stood by the gates that opened to the driveway that led to the main house. This was in 1979.
The main house was huge. 49 rooms, 16 bedrooms, servants quarters, old basements and had quite a good feel to it despite it's age (for Australia). The Stable House was a pleasant 3 bedroom timber cottage that my sister lived in.
It was the Gate House however that had a sinister nature to it. It was built of 18 inch stone, dark and cold due to having small windows. It instantly felt unpleasant and unwelcoming when you walked in and was a place I always felt uncomfortable. In the years my family lived there, it was rented out to numerous people who in turn mentioned hearing footsteps walking up and down the stairs at night. Doors opening on their own. Hazy lights being seen darting about inside.
For reasons I won't go into, I had cause to stay in the house for a week in the late 80's. It was summer and hot, yet as mentioned, very cool inside. I always sensed there was someone watching me at all times. It seemed to me that the house just wanted to be left alone.
Some years later after my family sold the property, a fire broke out in the house burning around a third of it down. The owner at the time, who we knew said that the investigators could find no explanation for it starting at there was no one living there at the time. The building was repaired and rebuilt, albeit slightly differently and I still shudder when we drive past it.
It's an unhappy building and one I do believe to be evil as well. I'm not sure what is in it, but then I'm not sure that I really want to know either.

Thanks Comfortably Numb yes there have been findings of old shoes in houses here. I would also add that I have had a tremendous run of very bad luck and misfortune with House no 2. I wouldn't go back there knowing what I know now.

Thanks Comfortably Numb yes there have been findings of old shoes in houses here. I would also add that I have had a tremendous run of very bad luck and misfortune with House no 2. I wouldn't go back there knowing what I know now.
So pleased it made some sense to someone!

I was also looking for any online link to what I recall as an episode of, 'House Detectives'.

Duly investigating an old house with potentially interesting history, in a bedroom, one wall is emblazed with a 'Biblical' script intended to, 'ward off evil'.

Really fascinating... anyone help with this?

Thanks Comfortably Numb very interesting.

Still searching for the above, however came across this online article which seems to be well informed (as often, lots of ads therein). Some interesting content which may not all be so well known? I certainty learned a fair bit!

https://listverse.com/2016/07/22/10-odd-ways-people-protected-themselves-from-witchcraft/
Which reminds me, must take away my witch bottle that I stuffed under the kitchen cabinets when I move house. I have witch balls too, and made some witch marks in various undercover places. Not even joking. I'm very superstitious.

My brother in law has an old shoe that was found in the chimney of his partly fourteenth century house during renovations... It’s a very calm house, but the shoe has never left the building.

Which reminds me, must take away my witch bottle that I stuffed under the kitchen cabinets when I move house...
Never knew such a thing existed...
:witch:

{Shush.... just between you and I... this is my latest}... ;)

155026574422394.jpg

Just a suggestion.

If you install the Pinterest app (never had any issues with same), it inherently opens up a comprehensive range of images.

If you search for, say, 'protection from witches', or, 'old symbols to ward off evil', etc. there's considerable, fascinating material, especially as much of it features uploads from people sharing their experiences.

My brother in law has an old shoe that was found in the chimney of his partly fourteenth century house during renovations... It’s a very calm house, but the shoe has never left the building.
Was replying to your post, affirming how amazing that tale is... proper, 'hard evidence'!

And then, suddenly..... this took over my screen...

1550269052228973.jpg

Eh... what the...

Took myself stupid ages to realise I had *unknowingly* clicked on your profile...

I'm bewildered enough already.

As an update. Hubby and I have been offered a move back to house no 2 by renting it off the new owners once it has been done up. We turned it down. I am not putting myself back into a negative situation with unhappy/unpleasant memories, eerie things etc etc. I also wouldn't be able to sleep. So no thanks I am staying put! ( this might also tie in with my reverse life thread come to think of it)

Smart move. My first apartment was a nasty place, where I later found out a previous tenant had been murdered. I still have nightmares about it. I was so relieved when I discovered it had been razed to the ground.

As we've mentioned Witches' Marks on this thread, thought I'd link to this article I just read. Hundreds of marks found in a cave. Someone clearly found the place diabolical.
Oh yea...! Fantastic find - bookmarked for later this eve... :btime:

I was also looking for any online link to what I recall as an episode of, 'House Detectives'.

Duly investigating an old house with potentially interesting history, in a bedroom, one wall is emblazed with a 'Biblical' script intended to, 'ward off evil'.

Really fascinating... anyone help with this?
I duly wrote to Dan Cruikshank, the presenter, on Twitter, enquiring re same.

Dan has replied... and this is tremendously insightful...

1550411116661363.jpg

Back