• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Strangers

Fear not Sollywos, I shall get to the bottom of this. Inspector Turpin of the yard always gets his man.

This morning he was staggering up the small residential street that leads to the station, before taking up his usual spot beside the bin – didn’t see any wife though, just him and the obligatory can of Steller (although this morning it was the polish beer Tyskie)

Glad to hear you are still on the case Inspector Turpin. All leave cancelled until the case is solved ;)

Sollywos x

So the story of 'walking the wife to the station' is demonstrably false. Guessing wife buggered off a considerable while ago and he staggers to the station in the mornings in hopes of catching a glimpse of her talking to another man, so he can convince himself she's a faithless slapper and he's well rid.

So the story of 'walking the wife to the station' is demonstrably false. Guessing wife buggered off a considerable while ago and he staggers to the station in the mornings in hopes of catching a glimpse of her talking to another man, so he can convince himself she's a faithless slapper and he's well rid.

OMG catseye that made me laugh, I’m still giggling – my boss is giving me sideway glances now.

Well that was my initial gut instinct, that he’d been dumped, looks like I was right - told you Turpin would crack the case.

I've decided I feel sorry for the poor chap, and I need to wean him of the strong beer, by buying him 4 cans of Skol lol,

The more you boil sprouts, the more they make you parp. Best to steam them gently and serve them while they still have some bite..........

Dick Turpin,

What will you do if one day, while you are waiting for him to appear, he taps you on the shoulder and asks 'are you stalking me ?'.

But I’m not int. I’m just going about my business as is he.

I don’t know who he’s stalking but I’m certainly not stalking him.

I'm not saying you are stalking him. Shall we say you are keeping an eye on someone who's obvious state of confusion may render him in requirement of your assistance.

But he may not see it that way. Thinking to himeself, 'I may be half pissed, but I do know that guy seems to be watching me. maybe he is a nutter. could be dangerous'.

So, if he does ask you what your interest in him is, (and I suspect that, if I were in his place, I probably would) do you have your cover story ready ?

INT21.

I'm not saying you are stalking him. Shall we say you are keeping an eye on someone who's obvious state of confusion may render him in requirement of your assistance.

But he may not see it that way. Thinking to himeself, 'I may be half pissed, but I do know that guy seems to be watching me. maybe he is a nutter. could be dangerous'.

So, if he does ask you what your interest in him is, (and I suspect that, if I were in his place, I probably would) do you have your cover story ready ?

INT21.

No int I’m not even keeping an eye on him.

I walk past him every morning, he has his back towards me as he faces the platform, and I observe that he has a can of beer in his hand and I post the fact on this forum.

The poor chap obviously has big issues and trust me, I’d be first to render my assistance.

So reading the posts from @Dick Turpin reminded me of a long-forgotten station-based tale of my own.

My mother and I were returning home late from a day out in the city, and emerged from the station to catch the bus. While waiting, my mother noticed an elderly Asian woman lurking at the bus stop, staring over at the station. She struck up a conversation with her, and the woman said she was waiting for her son to come back from work. By that time it was about 9pm, so it was clear she had been waiting a few hours. I think my mother tried to console her and offered to help, as it seemed as though he'd gone missing.

A few days/weeks later I bumped into someone we knew and told her about that night. She said she knew exactly who I meant - she often waits at the station for her son - and had been drawn in by her story. She even went back to the woman's house to keep her company while she waited. After a long while (and, if I remember rightly, a rather confusing discussion about the situation), she began to realise that the son was in fact dead, and the poor woman, I guess in her old age, still thought he might one day come back.

So reading the posts from @Dick Turpin reminded me of a long-forgotten station-based tale of my own.

My mother and I were returning home late from a day out in the city, and emerged from the station to catch the bus. While waiting, my mother noticed an elderly Asian woman lurking at the bus stop, staring over at the station. She struck up a conversation with her, and the woman said she was waiting for her son to come back from work. By that time it was about 9pm, so it was clear she had been waiting a few hours. I think my mother tried to console her and offered to help, as it seemed as though he'd gone missing.

A few days/weeks later I bumped into someone we knew and told her about that night. She said she knew exactly who I meant - she often waits at the station for her son - and had been drawn in by her story. She even went back to the woman's house to keep her company while she waited. After a long while (and, if I remember rightly, a rather confusing discussion about the situation), she began to realise that the son was in fact dead, and the poor woman, I guess in her old age, still thought he might one day come back.
There's an older guy who I used to sometimes see at one of the parks I walk my dog in who kept trying to ask after somebody or other. His English was poor and he was never interested in an answer. Often wondered if it was that sort of scenario.

There is a currently a computer game (if that's the current term, and I don't even know which one it is) or so I was told by my gamer daughter, where a man roams the streets looking for 'Gavin'. Whom, apparently, he never finds, even through the latter stages of the game.

I find myself increasingly distressed by this character, and have written myself a whole other scenario, where he finds 'Gavin' and they ride off into the sunset together.

On the other hand, a cry of 'Gaviiiiiiinnn!' is used when someone has lost something now, and it renders us all hysterical. I guess I am holding two contrary opinions at the the same time.

she often waits at the station for her son - and had been drawn in by her story. She even went back to the woman's house to keep her company while she waited. After a long while (and, if I remember rightly, a rather confusing discussion about the situation), she began to realise that the son was in fact dead, and the poor woman, I guess in her old age, still thought he might one day come back.

This could sadly be an undiagnosed case of Dementia. My Grandmother used to be found wandering and waiting on the landing in her Sheltered Accommodation. When asked why she would state she was waiting for her Husband to come home from work. She did it to me a couple of times and my Dad too. Dad dryly said he hoped he didn't arrive as she expected given he had been dead for years! Dementia was the cause.

Discovered /realised the other day that whenever I wear my purple velvet jacket it causes odd bod blokes to start talking to me admiring the colour. I love that jacket so I am perfecting the curt polite response then diverting my attention away. Seems to be working so far...

Discovered /realised the other day that whenever I wear my purple velvet jacket it causes odd bod blokes to start talking to me admiring the colour. I love that jacket so I am perfecting the curt polite response then diverting my attention away. Seems to be working so far...

'That's lovely colour!'
'Would like your eye in the same shade?'

'That's lovely colour!'
'Would like your eye in the same shade?'

How interesting.

A woman wears an attractive coat. Someone comments positively on it, and the natural response is to shoot this person down.

There is no problem in seeing why men simply do not want the hassle of complimenting women these days.

Why could you not simply say something like 'why, thank you kind Sir'.

How interesting.

A woman wears an attractive coat. Someone comments positively on it, and the natural response is to shoot this person down.

There is no problem in seeing why men simply do not want the hassle of complimenting women these days.

Why could you not simply say something like 'why, thank you kind Sir'.

It was a joke about how not to react to a compliment, which seems to have gone over your head.

Women don't require compliments from men they don't know. It's creepy.

It was a joke about how not to react to a compliment, which seems to have gone over your head.

Women don't require compliments from men they don't know. It's creepy.

What didn't go over my head was that I was responding to Vida Loca's post #137, not your's.

You seem to have missed that.. I know, I'm just too subtle.

What didn't go over my head was that I was responding to Vida Loca's post #137, not your's.

You seem to have missed that.. I know, I'm just too subtle.

You replied to my post so you were responding to me.

Well... the compliments are a prelude to a conversation, which gives the woman an opportunity to get to know the man. After that, they're no longer strangers. That's how it's supposed to work.

Yeah but as I said, compliments from men you don't know are creepy. It's how fast workers operate. A woman feels obliged to accept a compliment because it's impolite not to, and is then in a conversation she might not want.

Why not start with a neutral comment about the weather or how surprisingly punctual the train is today? Or 'Look at that dog, couldn't you just scratch his little head?'

Yeah but as I said, compliments from men you don't know are creepy. It's how fast workers operate. A woman feels obliged to accept a compliment because it's impolite not to, and is then in a conversation she might not want.

Why not start with a neutral comment about the weather or how surprisingly punctual the train is today? Or 'Look at that dog, couldn't you just scratch his little head?'
"That's a smashing blouse you're wearing Skargy, would you like to scratch my dog's head?" ..... like that you mean?

In my current neck of the woods the response would be less than polite if you tried to compliment a female. And of course Ms PeteS wouldn't be ecstatic if I complimented someone else- you know the type of thing - rolleyes/ sigh/ you never say that to me etc. I keep my gob shut, it's much safer.

Back