• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Brain Signals Converted Into Speech

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Scientists Have Found a Way to Convert Human Brain Signals Directly Into Speech
In the first experiment of its kind, scientists have been able to translate brain signals directly into intelligible speech. It may sound like wild science fiction at first, but this feat could actually help some people with speech issues.

And yes, we could also get some futuristic computer interfaces out of this.

Key to the system is an artificial intelligence algorithm that matches what the subject is hearing with patterns of electrical activity, and then turns them into speech that actually makes sense to the listener.
Towards reconstructing intelligible speech from the human auditory cortex (Scientific reports)

dog-translator.jpg

So it should be possible to record dreams but in audio only - how long before we can record pictures from the visual cortex I wonder ?
I'm hoping for technology that can beam images into the visual cortex. It'd help blind people to see again.

Myth: They do have something like that, just with cables rather than wireless.

Myth: They do have something like that, just with cables rather than wireless.
Yes, I've heard that somebody tried something like that a long time ago, but the technology then was not very good.
IIRC, those experiments were abandoned.

Worse, imagine the future where thought-to-voice technology becomes ubiquitous (like a smart phone) and you forget to turn it off, when you go out...

Worse, imagine the future where thought-to-voice technology becomes ubiquitous (like a smart phone) and you forget to turn it off, when you go out...
It'd be Tourette's to the max!

It would be absolutely invaluable to people who are 'locked in' due to motor neuron disease, post-stroke or other similar disabilities. Assistive tech has come on by leaps and bounds in the past few decades but using eye-gaze screens and similar tech is still laborious.

For a lot of people that 'thought-to-voice technology' is almost the situation >already<....

Striding out, having a remote conversation via their phones (loudly) with a slight smirk upon their faces and a semi-glazed expression, stepping upon toes/children/corpses/landmines with the uncaring confidence of a barman at a zombie frat-party.

Especially the ones who carry their phones ahead of them, on loudspeaker, like a piece of sacred toast. Why can't they have their phones properly, as in stuck-to-their-ear like the rest of us definitely-no-risk-of-cancer-non-victims

Last edited:
Pre-supposing that the individual was ever sighted....

Wm.
Agreed, there is more to regaining sight than an AI programme converting brain waves into images - you need perception to make sense of what you are seeing and that has to be learnt.

So saying, I have heard that some people blind since birth describe dreams that are similar to those of sighted people. Must look that up.

I remember a fascinating documentary in which a middle aged guy who had been blind since infancy had his sight restored surgically. After a while he gave up and started walking around with his eyes closed - his brain had never learned to interpret the signals from few eyes, so it was so much meaningless lights and colours.

the ones who carry their phones ahead of them, on loudspeaker, like a piece of sacred toast

Excellent / 'Lovely stuff'!

It may have been on these very forums that somebody once predicted a rise in this idiotic behaviour coinciding with each new series / season of 'The Apprentice'.

that somebody once predicted a rise in this idiotic behaviour
For some people, verbally-projecting their astoundingly-high status and importance as they stride through the streets is a comfort blanket on steroids.

Going far beyond mere virtue signalling on social media (I mean, why seek kudos by sponsoring a guide-dog or one of these foreign baby things?) phones on LOUD handsfree permits remote mutual admiration, and the sharing of jokes that are so funny, they can be laughed at even whilst stepping over toddlers at street-crossings.

Elbows akimbo, they plough through other unimportant plebs on the pavement/sidewalk with a constant smirk of self-satisfied power and superiority.

The only real question is: might the person on the other end of the call be doing exactly the same thing? Each remotely-controlling the other, as they march in mirrored steplock, until they eventually collide and fall to the ground, whereupon their USB ports are able to mutually connect? I bet they still talk via handsfree even when they're recharging each-other, or backing up their configs. Technozombies.

Back