• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Far Right Behind The 'Yellow Jacket' Petrol Protests?

Show me the Fortean connection.

Razumov,

Sorry, but I've removed your post about Bannon and Brexit. Please narrowly address the thread topic.

My daughter got caught up in the yellow vest protest on a recent school coach trip to Germany, she sent me a text, saying that she was scared and they will probably miss the ferry back, and the Teachers don’t know what to do.

I calmly texted back that she should not worry, and that she was perfectly safe, and that the protesters are not after coach loads of schoolchildren.

An hour later I received a text from her saying “ Don’t worry Dad they wasn’t protesters after all, just road workers in hi viz jackets”.

I didn’t have the heart to tell her.

Macron's dwindling popularity plummets yet further after he tells an elderly gilets jaune protester Geneviève Legay, who suffered a fractured skull during a police baton-charge, that she shouldn't have been there and should learn some wisdom:

that is extraordinarily un-media-savvy!

that is extraordinarily un-media-savvy!

There is a universal adage that everyone should understand,

There are no innocent people in a riot.

I am all in favour of people's right to protest.

But when it becomes obvious that it is turning nasty all the genuine people should get the hell out of there.

Then the police can deal with the real problem, the anarchists and rent-a-mob who are there with a totally different agenda.

All this going on in Paris is truly ridiculous. But you don't have to look very far to see why it is happening.

France has always seen itself as descendents of the Revolution, and have become a very 'spoiled' nation.

Macron is right. He needs to get in there and sort out the rabble behind all this. who in their right mind would want to go for a (expensive) week-end in Paris with all this crap going on ?

However, being married to a woman who got herself tear gassed in Amsterdam through her own nosiness, I predict it will probably go on for a while yet.

INT21.

There is a universal adage that everyone should understand,

There are no innocent people in a riot.

I am all in favour of people's right to protest.

But when it becomes obvious that it is turning nasty all the genuine people should get the hell out of there.

Then the police can deal with the real problem, the anarchists and rent-a-mob who are there with a totally different agenda.

All this going on in Paris is truly ridiculous. But you don't have to look very far to see why it is happening.

France has always seen itself as descendents of the Revolution, and have become a very 'spoiled' nation.

Macron is right. He needs to get in there and sort out the rabble behind all this. who in their right mind would want to go for a (expensive) week-end in Paris with all this crap going on ?

However, being married to a woman who got herself tear gassed in Amsterdam through her own nosiness, I predict it will probably go on for a while yet.

INT21.

In a crowd of large numbers of people that can be very difficult and you may not realise until it is too late and you're trapped in one of the places where "the police can deal with the real problem".

Ogred,

Indeed it is sometimes difficult to know when it is turning bad. But I'm sure that a lot hang around because, in truth, it is exiting. And all these jokers wandering around with cell phones doing their own coverage should know better.

But the principle holds, at the first broken shop window or cloud of smoke, run.

Ogred,

Indeed it is sometimes difficult to know when it is turning bad. But I'm sure that a lot hang around because, in truth, it is exiting. And all these jokers wandering around with cell phones doing their own coverage should know better.

But the principle holds, at the first broken shop window or cloud of smoke, run.

I agree, but those things may happen out of your sight lines or earshot when there are thousands (even tens or hundreds of thousands) of people on a demonstration, not to mention general public who have naively wandered into the area, or those who have no choice but to be there for work, or the police, or counter-protesters and so on. You may also "run" and cause panic and more issues, or you may run into the oncoming police or accidentally run into trouble makers. Many peaceful protests may include older people, the disabled or children, who may not be able to get out of the way so quickly.

I agree, yes, that "get out of the way of trouble" is a good principle, it's just that things are seldom that simple.

But when is Macron going to sort it out ?

Ah yes, need that extra sugar rush to deal with these things.

'Vive La Revolution'

WHAT ! Find the man who said that, sharpen up the guillotine.

Time for a bit of (enforced) Social justice. Stuff Fraternity.

In a crowd of large numbers of people that can be very difficult and you may not realise until it is too late and you're trapped in one of the places where "the police can deal with the real problem".

I've been trapped in a street doorway and on a traffic island on a couple of occassions when an orange march has gone by. Neither time was I able to stand for the length of time needed to allow them to pass and the noise is overwhelming if you have hyper-hearing. I rang for help and the police officer who came could only stand with me, being a support - trying to escape would have created an incident which was worse than me collapsing onto the ground an an ambulance being called.

And this is a legal, notified in advance march. I can't imaging what trying toescape from a riot is like.

Razumov,

Sorry, but I've removed your post about Bannon and Brexit. Please narrowly address the thread topic.

I'll follow moderation, but I was replying to a claim about Brexit that you didn't remove.

But when is Macron going to sort it out ?

They are protesting against Macron. For Macron attempt to ‘crush’ the protests against him it would send a very strong (totalitarian government) message and fuel more unrest.

The French people here (amongst many other issues of Government corruption )are tired of rising taxes to pay for increased military spending imposed my Germany, and to fund the huge costs of the economic immigration imposed by the open borders policy of the EU.

Why should the citizens of any country not protest when the leaders elected supposedly to serve them, prioritise the needs of foreign countries and ignore, penalise and punish them for their wholly justifiable concerns ?

And as is the norm - anyone protesting anything referencing European Union immigration policy are called ‘racist’ and labelled far right. The French media (mouthpiece for the government) only uses footage that discredits and maligns the protestors.

As one French protester put it - “ This isn’t about left v’s right. It’s about bottom v’s top”

Just got back from France on the late ferry last night. Had received an email from Brittany Ferries the day before, warning that a demonstration was planned for Sunday at Ouistréham and that it was recommended that we arrive at the port several hours early and to remain vigilant. This was obviously worrying, particularly with my daughter and baby grandson in the car. Things looked a bit grim as we approached Ouistréham and I saw a convoy of 8 vanloads of gendarme riot police in front of us. In the absence of further information, I assumed the worst and that it would be a gilets jaunes style riot, with vandalism, fire-bombs, tear-gas and rubber bullets. We'd even passed a noisy, but peaceful, gathering of maybe 15 gilets jaunes at a roundabout some 30 miles South. I'd put my gilet jaune across the dashboard, like about a quarter of the cars we saw, and had my "à bas, Macron!" slogan ready to placate the protesters!
After all that worry, the port was surprisingly calm and we passed the police line with no problem. At the information desk, I asked what was happening and the guy explained that it wasn't the gilets jaunes (although I did spot a few milling around) but was a leftist demonstration to show solidarity with the gangs of Somalian migrants who sleep rough in Ouistréham and hang around the ferry port, in the hope of sneaking onto a boat.
The French news I checked this morning reported there were only around 300 demonstrators and it all went off peacefully.
As I do make regular trips to France to visit the extended family, it is a bit concerning though that you do have to factor-in checking for any scheduled demonstrations these days.
One other thing. Most of the speed cameras I passed looked to have been vandalised. Battered and wrapped in yellow or black gaffer tape. One though, which was still in operation, caught me going slightly over the limit. Will have to see if the authorities can trace me back to England.

And did you see any evidence that the any unknown group or faction was secretly behind this ostensibly leftist protest?

And did you see any evidence that the any unknown group or faction was secretly behind this ostensibly leftist protest?

No. That's how the guy at the Brittany Ferries info desk described them and, judging from their banners ("solidarité avec les migrants" and "Ouistréham, ville d'accueil des migrants" - solidarity with migrants and Ouistréham welcomes migrants) I guess that would tend to be a left-wing cause.
I think the police and Brittany Ferries erred on the side of caution with their response and warnings, as demonstrations, for whatever cause, often get infiltrated by anarchists hell-bent on violence.

No. That's how the guy at the Brittany Ferries info desk described them and, judging from their banners ("solidarité avec les migrants" and "Ouistréham, ville d'accueil des migrants" - solidarity with migrants and Ouistréham welcomes migrants) I guess that would tend to be a left-wing cause.
I think the police and Brittany Ferries erred on the side of caution with their response and warnings, as demonstrations, for whatever cause, often get infiltrated by anarchists hell-bent on violence.

Given the Black Bloc antics in Paris their caution was justified. Also given past behaviour by the mainstream gilets, they might well have attacked the demonstrators.

Lovely people these gilets.

Paris authorities are investigating yellow vest protesters who encouraged police to kill themselves.

Radical protesters have clashed with police nearly every weekend for five months on the margins of largely peaceful yellow vest demonstrations demanding more help for France’s beleaguered workers, retirees and students.

On Saturday, Associated Press reporters heard some protesters in Paris shouting “Kill yourselves!” at police firing tear gas and rubber projectiles and charging the crowd to contain the violence at the 23rd weekend of yellow vest demonstrations.

Suicides among the police are known to be on the rise.

Police unions denounced the protesters’ call as an unacceptable insult to the officers who have killed themselves and their suffering families.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...-french-police-to-kill-themselves-919143.html

Just got back from France on the late ferry last night. Had received an email from Brittany Ferries the day before, warning that a demonstration was planned for Sunday at Ouistréham and that it was recommended that we arrive at the port several hours early and to remain vigilant. This was obviously worrying, particularly with my daughter and baby grandson in the car. Things looked a bit grim as we approached Ouistréham and I saw a convoy of 8 vanloads of gendarme riot police in front of us. In the absence of further information, I assumed the worst and that it would be a gilets jaunes style riot, with vandalism, fire-bombs, tear-gas and rubber bullets. We'd even passed a noisy, but peaceful, gathering of maybe 15 gilets jaunes at a roundabout some 30 miles South. I'd put my gilet jaune across the dashboard, like about a quarter of the cars we saw, and had my "à bas, Macron!" slogan ready to placate the protesters!
After all that worry, the port was surprisingly calm and we passed the police line with no problem. At the information desk, I asked what was happening and the guy explained that it wasn't the gilets jaunes (although I did spot a few milling around) but was a leftist demonstration to show solidarity with the gangs of Somalian migrants who sleep rough in Ouistréham and hang around the ferry port, in the hope of sneaking onto a boat.
The French news I checked this morning reported there were only around 300 demonstrators and it all went off peacefully.
As I do make regular trips to France to visit the extended family, it is a bit concerning though that you do have to factor-in checking for any scheduled demonstrations these days.
One other thing. Most of the speed cameras I passed looked to have been vandalised. Battered and wrapped in yellow or black gaffer tape. One though, which was still in operation, caught me going slightly over the limit. Will have to see if the authorities can trace me back to England.

Just got back from a moderately traumatic Ikea day with the missus to find a "Notice de violation de vitesse" posted through my letterbox.

The one remaining functional speed camera in the north west of France caught me doing 85 kph in an area where the limit was 80 kph.

And they thought it worthwhile tracking me down to the UK.

€55 is my fine, rising to €180 if I don't pay within 45 days.

Am I unlucky or what?

Last edited:
Back