• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Moths

Fingers crossed! I've been using cheap supermarket fabric conditioner ... maybe I should try the good stuff!

Never heard of diatomaceous earth before - I'll get some. On googling, it's reputed to kill egg & larva, which actually do the damage. I've got moth spray which kills moths once they've hatched but I'm not convinced it kills the eggs before they hatch. I also use pheromone traps, which certainly work once they've hatched. Hoovering daily I'm not so good at.
Warning re diatomaceous earth - you need to wear a dust mask when putting it down. When vacuuming it up, use a vacuum cleaner that has a filter.

Bad form to quote self, but have worked out how they do it: it's probably surface tension that keeps them going as they lounge on their personal meniscus at the wineline and therefore can breathe a bit and don't get all that poisoned.

It's just a theory.

Know thine enemy.
Sounding very scientific. Lol

Diatomaceous earth makes me nervous because I have cats and wouldn't want them to breathe it in.
Cedar does seem to work, but I think it needs to be more like a cedar chest. My late hubby liked building things and he took cedar slats and lined a pine chest with it. I also have a 1 1/2 house and no closets, but again hubby lined the angled ceiling in the bedroom where the clothes hang with the cedar slats.

I've never seen a moth. Either the cedar works, or moths are becoming extinct in my neck if the woods. I know that my garden doesn't get half the bees or butterflies it used to.

I truly want to believe in the cedar, but the small discs I have don't seem to do a thing.

My mum found them in a garden centre or somewhere after I'd mentioned the infestation. They're probably made of plywood or something :-(

I truly want to believe in the cedar, but the small discs I have don't seem to do a thing.

My mum found them in a garden centre or somewhere after I'd mentioned the infestation. They're probably made of plywood or something :-(
Yeah, that's why I mentioned slats b/c it's not just small discs, it's an area of about 60 sq ft.

And if it's solid cedar, you would definitely be able to smell the wood.

What about that web stuff they have at halloween, when they get caught up in it you can just throw it outside, humane way, your house might look a bit creepy, but hey, you will not have holey clothes

Always seems to work for the spiders

Yes - it's a lovely smell. I'm going to find the packet and check it out.

Right, they don't smell of much now but on being scratched with a fingernail they release their aroma. The instructions do state that a light sanding will keep the fragrance going if it's faded.

So I'll do that; can't hurt, can it?

What about that web stuff they have at halloween, when they get caught up in it you can just throw it outside, humane way, your house might look a bit creepy, but hey, you will not have holey clothes

Always seems to work for the spiders

Good thinking. Surely you mean more creepy??

I can see Andy now, with a huge power sander on a lil round bit of cedar wood :p

Don't moth balls work? Why would you use moth balls, ummm i suppose that would cut the numbers down if they couldnt breed

I can see Andy now, with a huge power sander on a lil round bit of cedar wood :p

Don't moth balls work? Why would you use moth balls, ummm i suppose that would cut the numbers down if they couldnt breed

Ha! Yes ... bzzzzzrrrrrrr .... 'oh, where'd it go??'

I haven't tried moth balls as I can't stand the smell of camphor. Perhaps there are some clever modern ones that smell nicer?

Ha! Yes ... bzzzzzrrrrrrr .... 'oh, where'd it go??'

I haven't tried moth balls as I can't stand the smell of camphor. Perhaps there are some clever modern ones that smell nicer?
The other thing about mothballs is that they aren't entirely safe.

Here is an excellent source of information about how to protect your wool things from hungry insects:
https://www.si.edu/mci/english/learn_more/taking_care/insects.html
It's focused on North American wool eating creatures, but should be of some use to those of you in other places.

Some of the more interesting points: "Laboratory beetle specimens are fed dog food, but can survive on the dust of (wool) clothes and hair and dead insects in rooms that are not maintained." But "Adult carpet beetles . . . seek light and flowers." And "Cholesterol (in perspiration/ring around the collar) and yeast on brushed wool (flannel) is the preferred diet for clothes moths."
Beware of mothballs, for both types "are known animal carcinogens and possible human carcinogens."

Moths apparently like sweet smells especially stale perfume.Try using Lavender Oil. Put a few drops in your washing machine. Moths hate the smell. Also try putting Lavender Oil and some water in an old Febreeze bottle and squirt it around generously. If it gets out of hand I would suggest trying something from Lakeland, Coopers of Stortford or similar place online. I am cutting back on chemicals as I am Asthmatic so I use Lavender Oil a lot.

I think this moth is beautiful. Apparently the nickname for Dryocampa rubicunda is Rhubarb and Cream!
1558294523672.png

Pretty sure there's a household tip on killing moth eggs in your favourite woollies, by bagging them in plastic and putting them in the deep freeze for 24 hours.

Ooooo Cryogenics for moths.

"Can you get me that joint of beef please dear, its under that pile of jumpers"?

Moths apparently like sweet smells especially stale perfume.Try using Lavender Oil. Put a few drops in your washing machine. Moths hate the smell. Also try putting Lavender Oil and some water in an old Febreeze bottle and squirt it around generously. If it gets out of hand I would suggest trying something from Lakeland, Coopers of Stortford or similar place online. I am cutting back on chemicals as I am Asthmatic so I use Lavender Oil a lot.
That would definitely keep ME away. Lol

Back