• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Construction/Renovation Projects

Those accounts of Roman ghosts walking on a different level have the ring of truth about them (well, I think so).

Ghosthunters UK on YouTube

Ghosthunters UK was a TV series about ghosts. We've discussed it before but now it's now on YouTube woohoo!
The chap who saw the Roman soldiers in the cellar was called Harry. I think he died a few years ago. His account is in the first episode.

Harry's account was debunked in the pages of the FT a few issues ago. We have a thread on it. Basically, the story came to light decades after it was supposed to have happened, and may have been embellished or just plain made up.

Harry's account was debunked in the pages of the FT a few issues ago. We have a thread on it. Basically, the story came to light decades after it was supposed to have happened, and may have been embellished or just plain made up.
Ah say it isn't so :) Besides, how can anyone really debunk something reported by a single person? Only by them admitting they were lying? I don't think the 'decades later' thing would be an issue (lots of people keep stuff to themselves because they don't want others laughing / thinking they're mad). If he were a fantasist that did it for the fame and lols for many subsequent years, would he not likely have a reputation for telling all sorts of other tall tales as well? I wouldn't have thought someone like that would do very well in the police force.

But anyway. I'm only sceptical about the scepticism because I so want to believe! Sad innit. Though I don't really care whether he saw "real romans" but would like to think that he really saw something (even if the product of his own mind... which might be what ghosts are anyway).

I'd love to hear more detail about this debunking if you can. You say there's a thread?

Aha I thought you meant there was a new thread! But I don't think anything in there particularly convinces me it was definite tosh? I guess that's the beauty and interest of fortean stuff isn't it - we both have weighed up the weirdness and the circumstances, and just come to different points on the sliding scale between Definite Truth and Utter BS. Which is fine by me as I don't really people thinking I'm a crank :)

Back