• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ogopogo (Lake Monster; Okanagan Lake; British Columbia)

Can I ask a question? Your user name has "cryptid" in it. So how much do you know about the topic and where do you get your information?
I'm asking because Ogopogo is like one of the top 10 zoologically-discussed cryptids. It's very odd you never heard of it. But, maybe you are not... of my generation (who were around in the late 1970s.)

Oh I was around in the late 70's....I am 62..Did not get interested in cryptozoology until a couple years ago and it's been mainly things like Bigfoot, Alien Big Cats, Lochness etc....I really have not dug any deeper than those...And besides what frigging difference does my user name make...I can call myself Dr Seuss and not know shit about Cat In The Hat...Of course some profess to be know it all's and could not get in out of a shower of shit.

Oh I was around in the late 70's....I am 62..Did not get interested in cryptozoology until a couple years ago and it's been mainly things like Bigfoot, Alien Big Cats, Lochness etc....I really have not dug any deeper than those...And besides what frigging difference does my user name make...I can call myself Dr Seuss and not know shit about Cat In The Hat...Of course some profess to be know it all's and could not get in out of a shower of shit.

Chill out. I was just curious. I've been around the newer cryptid groups a bit and it's mostly 20-somethings who get all their shallow opinions from YouTubers and never picked up a book on the topic. They go for skinwalkers, the rake, and mermaids as their favorite cryptids which is a shift from the original idea.

Chill out. I was just curious. I've been around the newer cryptid groups a bit and it's mostly 20-somethings who get all their shallow opinions from YouTubers and never picked up a book on the topic. They go for skinwalkers, the rake, and mermaids as their favorite cryptids which is a shift from the original idea.

:lolling: Not a problem...Sorry did not mean to come off as an ass...

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like the sort of demographic that would be that keen on Hogarth, tbh.

New Ogopogo footage surfaces from 2018.

Description from the original uploader to YouTube:

''Me and my dad where fishing off a doc in Kelowna BC and spotted something massive in the water. The thing looks like it is close in the video but it was a few hundred yards off shore and it was huge, I would say atleast 60 feet long you could visually see it rolling in the water. During this video there was a small group of people videoing off shore as well. Toward the end it goes into a small bay so me and my dad hopped in the truck and drove toward the area it was headed but when we got to the bay it was nowhere to be seen. ''

Read more:
A father and son fishing trip in British Columbia took a fantastic turn when they spotted a large aquatic anomaly that could be Canada's legendary lake monster Ogopogo. The intriguing encounter occurred back in the summer of 2018, but footage from the sighting only appeared online earlier this month when it was posted to YouTube by witness Blake Neudorf. In his description of the video, the young man marveled that he and his father "were fishing off a dock in Kelowna, BC and spotted something massive in the water."
https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/watch-fishermen-film-ogopogo

I always note that those who have seen Ogopogo describe its appearance as being distinctly different than any other sea/lake/river cryptid such as Champ, or Nessie who are usually described as having a Plesiosaur-ish appearance. Ogopogo is always described as being serpentine and much darker in color. Which means that not all of the cryptids living in lakes or rivers are the same kind of animal. My guess is that Ogopogo could be an unknown kind of eel. Would love to read what everyone thinks about this!

I think outsized eels are potential candidates for many lake monster sightings.

Lake Crescent in Ontario, Canada, apparently also has a lake monster, called 'Cressie'.
There's a show on it on tv right now, but of course the (yawn) skeptic Joe Nickell has to make his appearance (on all these shows apparently). I'm surprised he's not claiming that these creatures are weather balloons!

Back