• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT308: Mystery Story Request By Robert Damon Schneck

Reverend D

Vague Apparition
So, reading few a few back issues t'other day, I found this request from Robert Damon Schneck where the editors had been unable to track down the original story:

It was a small item that ran 10 or 15 years ago. The witness claimed to have visited an abandoned industrial site where he saw small, squid-like creatures swimming around inside barrels of toxic waste. I think it was illustrated by an artist's conception of the pseudo-squids and the story probably contained an allusion to Cthulhu. The idfea of little monsters evolving to fill the toxic waste niche appealed to my B-movie sensibilities.

This struck me as being very similar to a story in 1989's The Real Frank Zappa Book by Frank Zappa and Peter Occhiogrosso where Zappa describes how some teenage friends of his spent months pissing into an old bathtub in their garage then covered it with a sheet of wood and left it for a few months. When they went back and lifted the sheet of wood, they found creatures that Frank refers to as 'denizens' swimming around in the piss. He said they looked 'sort of like tadpoles' and 'as big as your little fingernail - white, with a black dot in the middle of it'. Apparently when poked with a nail by a boy called Motorhead, 'some clear stuff came out'.

When the proud boys showed their father, he made them flush the whole lot down the toilet. Frank speculates that the 'denizens' might still be evolving down in the sewers.

Robert, if you're reading this, I hope this is helpful - it's not quite as you described the story you remember, but seems broadly similar. If nothing else, I hope this is of interest.

He's on Facebook, if that helps. He runs an interesting page called "Historian of the strange."

At the risk of having the piss taken out of me by Stu Neville, I know Robert so I’ve passed the info on to him. I’ll post his reply.

He's on Facebook, if that helps. He runs an interesting page called "Historian of the strange."

Thanks for the info Paul, unfortunately I'm not on Facebook but his page certainly sounds interesting!

At the risk of having the piss taken out of me by Stu Neville, I know Robert so I’ve passed the info on to him. I’ll post his reply.

Thanks Gordon, much appreciated!

Back