• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

High Strangeness

Several stories of high strangeness including a giant woodpecker and a monster dragonfly. I actually know two people who claimed to have seen huge dragonflies the size of remote control planes. One was in Wales the other near Lytham Saint Annes. Both said they were reddish and had wingspans of about a meter.

beyond creepy never fails to find amazing stuff
i have no idea what kind of black magic he uses but despite i knowing an impressive amount of obscure cases, he still manages to dig up something i have never seen before in each video

I'll never forget my first view of a flying fox (bloody enormous bat), when visiting Sydney.

This huge *thing* flew overhead, with me freaking out below going 'what the hell was that?' whilst nobody else reacted at all. Eventually my daughter (who lives in Oz and who I was visiting) looked up and said, in a bored voice 'oh, it's just a bat'.

It was a weird experience - finding something that was completely everyday to most people present, out of place and almost paranormal to me.

Gave me a brief feeling of what High Strangeness must be like.

I'll never forget my first view of a flying fox (bloody enormous bat), when visiting Sydney.

This huge *thing* flew overhead, with me freaking out below going 'what the hell was that?' whilst nobody else reacted at all. Eventually my daughter (who lives in Oz and who I was visiting) looked up and said, in a bored voice 'oh, it's just a bat'.

It was a weird experience - finding something that was completely everyday to most people present, out of place and almost paranormal to me.

Gave me a brief feeling of what High Strangeness must be like.

As a young child in junior school I once mentioned the Flying Fox bat in class, having read about them in our encyclopaedia at home, and was thoroughly humiliated by Mrs Bosworth for making things up. A flying fox! Foxes can't fly!

A cockier kid might've taken the book into school the next day to prove my point; but I'd've then collected two extra beatings, one from home for taking the book out and another from school for continuing the argument and of course for being right. So I preferred to draw a veil over the incident.

I'm still angry though, 50-odd years later.

Sadly, yes there are many voiciferous 'researchers' who 100% think there is a poipulation of 7-8 foot hominins living undiscovered in the UK.

I despair. I love mysteries, I'm no skeptic, and even in science I think at any time we may make new discoveries that could change everything. But there cannot possibly be an undiscovered large hominid living in the UK . I wouldn't totally dismiss that people have seen something supernatural, however unlikely. but a real live 7ft hominid? Off you go with the flat earthers.

As a young child in junior school I once mentioned the Flying Fox bat in class, having read about them in our encyclopaedia at home, and was thoroughly humiliated by Mrs Bosworth for making things up. A flying fox! Foxes can't fly!

A cockier kid might've taken the book into school the next day to prove my point; but I'd've then collected two extra beatings, one from home for taking the book out and another from school for continuing the argument and of course for being right. So I preferred to draw a veil over the incident.

Go dance on that "teacher's" grave!

I despair. I love mysteries, I'm no skeptic, and even in science I think at any time we may make new discoveries that could change everything. But there cannot possibly be an undiscovered large hominid living in the UK . I wouldn't totally dismiss that people have seen something supernatural, however unlikely. but a real live 7ft hominid? Off you go with the flat earthers.
Agreed, I have a hard time eblieving that one exist in the vast American west. Someclaim they exist in nearly all te lower 50.

Several stories of high strangeness including a giant woodpecker and a monster dragonfly. I actually know two people who claimed to have seen huge dragonflies the size of remote control planes. One was in Wales the other near Lytham Saint Annes. Both said they were reddish and had wingspans of about a meter.
Considering Britians (present) asmepheric - climatic conditions this is really not possible. Giant dragonfly type insects such as Meganeura from the Carboniferous period became extint nearly 300 million years ago. The earths oxegen content exceeded 20% during the late tropical palozoic era.

I went to a school like that.

It Was Hell.PNG

Considering Britians (present) asmepheric - climatic conditions this is really not possible. Giant dragonfly type insects such as Meganeura from the Carboniferous period became extint nearly 300 million years ago. The earths oxegen content exceeded 20% during the late tropical palozoic era.
I know that, giant insects can't exist outside of b-moves these days but both these witnesses described exactly the same thing. I wonder if they were seeing remote control models but the chances of that seem slim.

Interesting strange stuff. Don't get stuff like that happening in Hertfordshire.

My eldest sister tried to convince her Primary School teacher she'd seen an "eagle" in the garden. The teacher didn't call her a liar but made it clear she didn't believe her. When my indignant sister told mother, the penny dropped - she was bi-lingual at that age and "igel" is the German for hedgehog.

I know that, giant insects can't exist outside of b-moves these days but both these witnesses described exactly the same thing. I wonder if they were seeing remote control models but the chances of that seem slim.
Iirc the restriction on giant insects is in how they breathe. A thin enough insect could be any arbitrary size as long as the exoskeleton could support it without breaking during movement.

Sadly, yes there are many voiciferous 'researchers' who 100% think there is a population of 7-8 foot hominins living undiscovered in the UK.
I once worked with a guy who was over 7 feet tall. He did not have giantism, he was just was really tall.

I was also once caught in a crowd of German university students where many of them were (seemed) over 7 feet tall. They were really tall. Really tall. It was the first time I thought that tall people like them were probably the origin of stories about giants in mythology and folklore. Imagine going out with your pointy sticks to protect your village from strangers, and you were a bunch of underfed shrimps and the strangers were a tribe of really tall people who'd wandered in from the Rhine. I tell you they would seem supernatural!

How weird I have just been reading about bempton and all the stuff going on around there.
Paul Sinclair i think the authors name is.strange lights out at sea and strange creatures etc.
A good read I live nearish to the wolds and have done a bit of walking around those parts.
Never seen anything unusual plenty of wildlife though.And old church graffiti very interesting.

Yes. I like Germans but they are often unreasonably tall. :crazy:
I have read somewhere that statistically speaking, the Dutch are the tallest people in Europe.
It might be a survival thing, bearing in mind that the Netherlands has been flooded for much of its history.

Unsure if this is exactly the correct place to mention this, but it seems about as good as any other.

I would urge my "fellows" here to NOT support science fiction, people, especially that in the literary-world. Most of them would tell those of us here at
this forum we all are suffering mental ailments of some type for even being interested, let alone purporting to say any Fortean phenomenon actually exists. To some degree, even the older people were deniers of the unknown with some notable exceptions, but my hopes that the younger people would be more open have been sadly disappointed.

Given that the science fiction/fantasy fields have largely been absorbed by general fiction, or the mainstream, if you wish, I see no convincing reason for modern Fortean to support them with their hard-earned dollars, pounds, or Euros, or whatever the case may be. Spend to support Fortean causes, people!!

One will even run into total close-minded idiots in some films sites; I shan't mention the one outright I had my worst experiences with, but will say that a former journalists is involved there who take inordinate pride in this fact, despite not being able to see the forest fort the trees. Some totally obnoxious film authors (usually on science-fantasy cinema, or television) are associated with this bunch as well. They also have a disquieting tendency to allow any, and all, it appears, references to skeptical organizations stay up, while locking any threads which try to lead people to pro-Fortean sites. All in all, it was an unpleasant experience for em, but one which will, I hope, prove quite beneficial in weeding out the wheat from the chaff.

Take care.

Back