• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

There's a little thing called the wayback machine ...

Screenshot 2019-06-26 at 11.57.44.png

Emps and Quixote left to create the WunderKabinett, didn't they?

It looked promising--I was a member for a while--but it fizzled.
Sadly it didn't have the traffic. It was reliant on ad revenue so became unsustainable, which is a shame as it had sone phenomenally good threads and discussions, but in a way its innate focus and discipline kept it from becoming visited enough.

Quixote and I are in touch - professional and personal stuff made being a mod impractical for her, plus it was starting to take a toll (it can, easily) so she moved on.

Emps had an awful lot happening, was burning the candle at both ends and the middle, and as a result burned out. Last I heard he'd largely left the internet and was working at something with tangible structure. I hope he's well.

Schnor is the mystery: vanished overnight, from here and elsewhere, according to Stu.
He did. When he was modding we were in touch on other sites (again he was very active across the board.) He literally stopped overnight, his own site had no updates and eventually went down altogether. Haven't seen or heard from him since. Again, I hope all is well.
I must ask Stu, but I don't know what happened to Mooksta--was still a mod when I came onboard, but, again vanished.
Again, professional and personal reasons - overwhelmingly that and burnout are the main reasons mods quit. He's ok, though. Whistling Jack ditto.
: I'd welcome almost any of our former members back. Even Androman/Pietro Mecurious, who didn't like me..
Pietro left owing to creative differences, shall we say. He opted to leave the board altogether.

Sadly it didn't have the traffic. It was reliant on ad revenue so became unsustainable, which is a shame as it had sone phenomenally good threads and discussions, but in a way its innate focus and discipline kept it from becoming visited enough.

Quixote and I are in touch - professional and personal stuff made being a mod impractical for her, plus it was starting to take a toll (it can, easily) so she moved on.

Emps had an awful lot happening, was burning the candle at both ends and the middle, and as a result burned out. Last I heard he'd largely left the internet and was working at something with tangible structure. I hope he's well.

He did. When he was modding we were in touch on other sites (again he was very active across the board.) He literally stopped overnight, his own site had no updates and eventually went down altogether. Haven't seen or heard from him since. Again, I hope all is well.

Again, professional and personal reasons - overwhelmingly that and burnout are the main reasons mods quit. He's ok, though. Whistling Jack ditto.

Pietro left owing to creative differences, shall we say. He opted to leave the board altogether.

Well, that certainly looks promising for my own future! Burnout, here we come!

Well, that certainly looks promising for my own future! Burnout, here we come!
It's a different animal these days, in fairness. The odd spat aside, it's a lot less combative (touch wood), and I think it's genuinely starting to regain the vibe it had a few years ago, which is great. We have a lot more latitude now than we did when the custard-spined legal execs were watching, but that discipline has made me, for one, conscious of how to maintain a baseline, and also aware of mod welfare :) .

I'll tell you one selfish reason I'd like to see WunderKabinett resurface: I posted my M.A. thesis on spiritualism and psychical research there, but owing to computer failure I no longer have a copy myself!

I might one day be able to track down a copy through the university....

There is a possible way, how to retrieve your thesis.

Click on the blue wunderkabinett link at the bottom of the page,which will lead you to here.

Pick a date etc. and then use the internal navigation AND DO NOT GO VIA THE MAIN BOARD!

BTW always open the page/s you need in a new tab

I hope that helps?

So Myth, my solution does work then?

I've been off for a while, now I'm back for for now.

I can't locate it via that method, but I'm grateful for the attempt.

I can't locate it via that method, but I'm grateful for the attempt.

No problem. Maybe someone more skilled in solving this type of problem could help you though :)

No, I couldn't get it to work.
Nice to see you back.

There is a possible way, how to retrieve your thesis.
Click on the blue wunderkabinett link at the bottom of the page,which will lead you to here.
Pick a date etc. and then use the internal navigation AND DO NOT GO VIA THE MAIN BOARD!
BTW always open the page/s you need in a new tab
I hope that helps?

Sorry ... I should have mentioned this earlier ... I dived down to that level some days ago on a secret mission to find Yith's thesis, but didn't wade through all 1600+ archived URL's and eventually disengaged owing to interruptions.

One reason I gave up was that I didn't have enough clues to pinpoint Yith (as a user), his postings, or whatever thread / area it may have been where he posted his thesis.

(Yith: If you'd PM me more details - especially on the thesis itself - I can try further searching there and / or elsewhere.)

Some comments for future reference ...

Archiving a Web forum gives variable results, depending on the forum structure / configuration, the forum software used, and especially any division of labor among the main forum software and auxiliary apps (e.g., galleries; database(s); cloud storage).

The items most likely to go MIA during archiving are attachments and other items (especially graphics and documents) that aren't actually stored within the forum software. These support apps and resources commonly disappear or disconnect when a forum dies, leaving no active place where the Wayback Machine's crawlers can feasibly access them.

To be fair, the mass of thread content that was captured by the Wayback Machine is notably bigger than average in the context of such defunct forums and the timeframe when it was last active.

One reason I gave up was that I didn't have enough clues to pinpoint Yith (as a user), his postings, or whatever thread / area it may have been where he posted his thesis.

(Yith: If you'd PM me more details - especially on the thesis itself - I can try further searching there and / or elsewhere.)

The Seance Room > Page 2 > Thread Name: ‘En Rapport with the Spirits?’ by Yith.

The Seance Room > Page 2 > Thread Name: ‘En Rapport with the Spirits?’ by Yith.

Nope - sorry ... That ("Rapport") thread is oddly indexed as both topic #35.0 and #355. Neither is archived at the Wayback Machine. Either it ended up getting merged into another thread or the thing you seek was posted after the last Wayback capture of record.

Have you contacted your university department? They may have retained an electronic copy of your thesis. It's been common for some time to store submitted manuscript files of doctoral theses, and I've been seeing it done with increasing regularity for masters theses as well.

Another angle would be to check with your thesis advisor, if you can locate him / her.

Nope - sorry ... That ("Rapport") thread is oddly indexed as both topic #35.0 and #355. Neither is archived at the Wayback Machine. Either it ended up getting merged into another thread or the thing you seek was posted after the last Wayback capture of record.

Have you contacted your university department? They may have retained an electronic copy of your thesis. It's been common for some time to store submitted manuscript files of doctoral theses, and I've been seeing it done with increasing regularity for masters theses as well.

Another angle would be to check with your thesis advisor, if you can locate him / her.

I don't think I submitted an electronic copy! Two giant stacks of paper!

That said, I think it's probably archived at Senate House (University of London Library) or somewhere.

Just curious to revisit it. I think It's pretty good. They gave me a pass with distinction.

Thanks for trying.

I don't think I submitted an electronic copy! Two giant stacks of paper! ...

Ohhhhhh ... I see now. Sorry - I presumed it had been submitted recently enough that electronic submissions were likely to have been involved (e.g., within the last 20 years).

Ohhhhhh ... I see now. Sorry - I presumed it had been submitted recently enough that electronic submissions were likely to have been involved (e.g., within the last 20 years).
I on the other hand was horrified to see my undergraduate thesis pop up in a search, and it was submitted well over 20 years ago. The university has taken it upon themselves to scan all items in the library, and apparently all of our theses are actually on file in one of the libraries. I can only hope that no one pays it any attention.

I don't think I submitted an electronic copy! Two giant stacks of paper!

That said, I think it's probably archived at Senate House (University of London Library) or somewhere.

Just curious to revisit it. I think It's pretty good. They gave me a pass with distinction.

Thanks for trying.
Microfiche, Yith? lol

Back