• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is This Coincidence, Fate... Or Something Else?

Wow! That is pretty intense.. You must have an inherent sensitivity. This could be a good thing, but could also be a problem in the future, as there are many things you wouldn't want to allow a link to. Your ability to distinguish the color of cars without looking at them is another manifestation of this. There are ways to develop sensitivites through similar techniques described above that I use to locate objects I've lost. Those same techniques allow one to create a magical link (for good or bad purposes). Your mind just like all of the other "vibrational" sheaths of your "aura" (subtle energies) that make "you" up, are very receptive.
Techniques in books by:
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Choa-Kok-Sui/e/B003H2YZ40
Are excellent, and can help. As would the "Middle Pillar" exercise and others.
I'd sever bonds and links that connect to your subtle bodies periodically; you might find you have more energy too. Charging water with prana and consuming is also useful. Like eating a talisman, it has many uses.. Kok Sui's books cover much of this.

Once you can feel or Perceive subtle energies (and you may do this too much), all kinds of abilities present themselves. Finding lost objects in the house and healing at a distance, involve discerning specific "frequencies" of prana associated with them as they affect your energy sheaths. A link can then be created, or if one sweeps one's consciousness around like a radar, one can be sensitive to the direction of objects.

Yes, these days there isn't a need for these powers much, and that's why I don't actively practice much these days. Necessity is the mother of weird abilities! Also, I like to play on a level playing field. And, I don't want to worry about spillover from practices onto loved ones and pets. And I don't want to be too sensitive..

I hope you have some closure with your sensitivity to this tragic event...

bunnymousekitt said:
PlagueRider-
Talking about it, we decided that no matter what, we are never going to trust this person. No matter what he says or does to gain sympathy or anything else, trusting him is simply not a possibility. This may have been the point of the terrifying dream - before finding these documents, I had been halfway down the road to believing his story and wanting to help him.
Is there a possibility he could 'gain your trust' and you could extract a confession ?

Hi Bunnymousekitt, if it is the case I am thinking of, a lot of people tried very hard to get to the bottom of what happened - they were blocked at every turn.

I think the Spirit continues after death and maybe justice is different on the other side, perhaps it is enough that the truth is known or acknowledged by someone.

Have these people tried to befriend you?

Talking about it, we decided that no matter what, we are never going to trust this person. No matter what he says or does to gain sympathy or anything else, trusting him is simply not a possibility. This may have been the point of the terrifying dream - before finding these documents, I had been halfway down the road to believing his story and wanting to help him.

All I can say is absolutely. Perhaps the dream is indeed a warning that you have to heed.

Hi MadameB,

What a coincidence you bumped this thread - I'd just been thinking about it, but couldn't remember the title!
Yes, all is well. As soon as I made a firm decision that a certain one of these people was not to be trusted, the scary experiences stopped. The suspicious character has moved out of town, too, so that's even better.

It's still unknown if the truth about the woman's death will ever come out. I don't recall if this was mentioned upthread, but most of the people who had direct involvement in the case are either dead or their whereabouts are unknown. One of the few who talks about it is the "suspicious character" mentioned above, and anything he says is, unfortunately, suspect.

I suppose the meaning of all this was a warning (whether it was from a ghost or my unconscious mind is highly debatable) Once it became clear how many people "happened" to just sicken and die or disappear off the face of the earth during the investigaton, it was obvious that this is not a safe area to poke around. The dream may have saved me from something nasty.

The part that still mystifies me is that the dreams came before these people arrived. That's the part I can't explain by any other means...

What a scary thread! Glad to read that you are well, bunnymousekitt.

Reactions: Ger
Glad to hear that nothing sinister has happened to you! I have had a hard time stop thinking about this account in the last couple of days, so I can only imagine the impact it must have had/has on you..!

Stay safe, and keep us posted should anything develop that you feel you can share!

I read through this passage and i almost hit the back button. I didnt get any impressions or sense anything... until i went to hit the back button. My arm was tugged, and i got a sharp pain shooting up my arm.

This dream was a desperate cry for help. As im typing this im feeling a sharp pain in my chest, a sharp pain in my stomach, and pressure on my throat and neck. Im not sure how this girl died, but im hearing screaming and gasping for breathe. (As you stated in your dream).

It is my impression that you do not possess any spiritual abilities, but this spirit has enough energy to connect to you. It is my impression that you meeting these people was not an accident.

My impression is that she connected to you through an object. Please understand that while the dreams were terrifying, you do not have to be afraid. This soul is hurt and lost, and seeking acknowledgment. She feels as though her case was rushed and she was forgotten.

She is giving me the impression that someone close to her was the one to hurt her, someones she trusted.

I hope any of this can help you or this poor spirit.

Hi Alyssa,

Thanks for responding. I'm afraid you didn't really hit on any details (as we know them, anyway).
I was going to say more, but I'm feeling distinctly uneasy. It's been a while since I'd felt spooked about this, but now....brr. So I guess I'll just shut up about it!

I'm not a medium or channeler or anything. I'm just...odd. :)

Hello Ulalume

I've just found this thread again, as I originally read it long before I became a member of these boards and very recently its been nagging at me, and now I've found it again. I do hope you don't find it upsetting for me to be bringing it back into consciousness with my reply to you.

The feelings you had, and the coincidences/synchronicities are extremely interesting. And I'm very curious... did anything ever get resolved regarding the case? I completely understand if you still need to be vague about it :)

I also read this thread a few years ago before I joined.

Ulalume, the account you gave of your nightmare is one of the most intense and well articulated descriptions of a nightmare I have ever read or heard of. Whatever its source, I'm happy that this nightmare helped you, so you could distance yourself from a person or people who apparently were very dangerous, despite their friendly and trustworthy appearance. I hope that the fact that the thread has been bumped again doesn't mean that you are experiencing weird synchronicities from the nightmare again!

I also really appreciated the thoughtful and sensitive feedback and questions from the forum members.
I was so tempted to ask for an update and bump it myself—thank you Zebra!

Hello Ulalume

I've just found this thread again, as I originally read it long before I became a member of these boards and very recently its been nagging at me, and now I've found it again. I do hope you don't find it upsetting for me to be bringing it back into consciousness with my reply to you.

The feelings you had, and the coincidences/synchronicities are extremely interesting. And I'm very curious... did anything ever get resolved regarding the case? I completely understand if you still need to be vague about it :)

Oh, hey Zebs, you know, I've been meaning to update this thread, so many years later. Everything about this scenario was so very strange, and remains so to this day.

Probably it's safe to lay out more details now, though I'll try to avoid making it super obvious so this thread will be less likely to turn up in a google search. No point in tempting fate! Here's the whole story -

Prologue - around '09 or '10, I was living in another town. It came to my attention that some former members of a religious organization were living not too far away. These former members were very loud in their criticisms of the religion and were experiencing harassment by the organization because of it. I thought at the time, how peculiar it was that this is all occurring out here in nowheresville. I'd never met these people or had any connection to them, though. I told my spouse (who worked for the local newspaper at the time) that the paper should cover this story, but they never did. I thought it was a pity, but didn't put too much thought into it after that.

Jump ahead a few years to 2013, and I'd now moved to another small town more than a hundred miles away. Another nowhereville. It was here during that summer that I had the terrifying nightmare described in the original post, which affected me deeply. A very short time after that, I learned (to my shock) that - very hush-hush - the self-same group of critics had moved to my new town. In fact, they were rumored to be practicing some ersatz form of their religion out in their cabin in the woods.

This was the sort of coincidence/synchronicity that seems mind-boggling, almost ludicrous. At this point, I had an eerie feeling as if I were being drawn into a web of sorts, or that the dream was compelling me somehow. Being that this religion deals with mental powers (for lack of a better term) I wondered if I was feeling their influence, if that was at all possible.

As it happened, when the critics moved here, the harassment followed as well. This came to a head when the critics filed a lawsuit against the organization in our county. Again, despite the shocking accusations made in this lawsuit, our current newspaper wasn't covering this either. I told my spouse (who'd left the journalism business by then) "well, you've got a second chance at this story, call the alternative paper and tell them you'll cover this" He did, and the alternative paper agreed enthusiastically. I ended up helping him because I knew a lot more about this religious organization than he did, which is how I came to know the people involved.

So technically, I did seek these people out, but I did so because the desperation I'd felt in the dream compelled me to get involved. What were the chances that I'd had a frightening dream of this woman at the same time as those who likely knew what happened to her landed in my town, without my even knowing it?

We did make friendly acquaintances with some former members of this religion and had some interesting experiences with them, but I did not end up pumping the main critic for information about the woman's death. The reason why is perhaps interesting.

Do you know the way most people have a sense of presence about them, a sort of warmth, or "aliveness"? Well, the main critic is the only person I've ever met (and I've met some doozies) who had none of that. He seemed to radiate a cold emptiness, as if he were only a facsimile, or the outer shell of a person. I had the creepy impression that he lacked a soul. This isn't noticeable when you see him on TV or video but it was very strong in person. This spooked me, and I was sure he couldn't be trusted, despite his being portrayed as the "good guy" and a victim at the time. (Note: this is the same person mentioned as being untrustworthy in my last post in this thread from Feb 14, 2014)

It was a good thing, too, because in a surprise move, he suddenly dropped the lawsuit, and went back to the organization he'd so loudly criticized, taking with him the personal information and secrets he'd gleaned from those other people who'd supported him all that time.

Some of those people have gone into hiding, we believe, probably due to the abuse or harassment they'd be sure to get. We can't find any trace of them now.

So unfortunately, the story ends without any resolution as to the dream of the dead woman, and none likely to come any time soon. I still wonder about the dream, though, whether if it had truly been a visitation and about the tangle of synchronicities that led to that strange (but informative) period of our lives.

ETA - re-reading my original post, I see that I'd held back that the woman I'd dreamed about had died under the care of this organization, and the person I refer to as the "main critic" above would have been responsible for giving the orders for her treatment.

Last edited:
I also read this thread a few years ago before I joined.

Ulalume, the account you gave of your nightmare is one of the most intense and well articulated descriptions of a nightmare I have ever read or heard of. Whatever its source, I'm happy that this nightmare helped you, so you could distance yourself from a person or people who apparently were very dangerous, despite their friendly and trustworthy appearance. I hope that the fact that the thread has been bumped again doesn't mean that you are experiencing weird synchronicities from the nightmare again!

I also really appreciated the thoughtful and sensitive feedback and questions from the forum members.
I was so tempted to ask for an update and bump it myself—thank you Zebra!

Hi IbisNibs - I'm glad I was able to convey the experience so well - it still gives me shivers to think of it! It was a supremely weird situation, but ultimately a learning experience.

I also appreciate the thoughtful feedback in this thread. It was massively helpful to have during an unnerving time.

Oh, hey Zebs, you know, I've been meaning to update this thread, so many years later. Everything about this scenario was so very strange, and remains so to this day.

Probably it's safe to lay out more details now, though I'll try to avoid making it super obvious so this thread will be less likely to turn up in a google search. No point in tempting fate! Here's the whole story -

Prologue - around '09 or '10, I was living in another town. It came to my attention that some former members of a religious organization were living not too far away. These former members were very loud in their criticisms of the religion and were experiencing harassment by the organization because of it. I thought at the time, how peculiar it was that this is all occurring out here in nowheresville. I'd never met these people or had any connection to them, though. I told my spouse (who worked for the local newspaper at the time) that the paper should cover this story, but they never did. I thought it was a pity, but didn't put too much thought into it after that.

Jump ahead a few years to 2013, and I'd now moved to another small town more than a hundred miles away. Another nowhereville. It was here during that summer that I had the terrifying nightmare described in the original post, which affected me deeply. A very short time after that, I learned (to my shock) that - very hush-hush - the self-same group of critics had moved to my new town. In fact, they were rumored to be practicing some ersatz form of their religion out in their cabin in the woods.

This was the sort of coincidence/synchronicity that seems mind-boggling, almost ludicrous. At this point, I had an eerie feeling as if I were being drawn into a web of sorts, or that the dream was compelling me somehow. Being that this religion deals with mental powers (for lack of a better term) I wondered if I was feeling their influence, if that was at all possible.

As it happened, when the critics moved here, the harassment followed as well. This came to a head when the critics filed a lawsuit against the organization in our county. Again, despite the shocking accusations made in this lawsuit, our current newspaper wasn't covering this either. I told my spouse (who'd left the journalism business by then) "well, you've got a second chance at this story, call the alternative paper and tell them you'll cover this" He did, and the alternative paper agreed enthusiastically. I ended up helping him because I knew a lot more about this religious organization than he did, which is how I came to know the people involved.

So technically, I did seek these people out, but I did so because the desperation I'd felt in the dream compelled me to get involved. What were the chances that I'd had a frightening dream of this woman at the same time as those who likely knew what happened to her landed in my town, without my even knowing it?

We did make friendly acquaintances with some former members of this religion and had some interesting experiences with them, but I did not end up pumping the main critic for information about the woman's death. The reason why is perhaps interesting.

Do you know the way most people have a sense of presence about them, a sort of warmth, or "aliveness"? Well, the main critic is the only person I've ever met (and I've met some doozies) who had none of that. He seemed to radiate a cold emptiness, as if he were only a facsimile, or the outer shell of a person. I had the creepy impression that he lacked a soul. This isn't noticeable when you see him on TV or video but it was very strong in person. This spooked me, and I was sure he couldn't be trusted, despite his being portrayed as the "good guy" and a victim at the time. (Note: this is the same person mentioned as being untrustworthy in my last post in this thread from Feb 14, 2014)

It was a good thing, too, because in a surprise move, he suddenly dropped the lawsuit, and went back to the organization he'd so loudly criticized, taking with him the personal information and secrets he'd gleaned from those other people who'd supported him all that time.

Some of those people have gone into hiding, we believe, probably due to the abuse or harassment they'd be sure to get. We can't find any trace of them now.

So unfortunately, the story ends without any resolution as to the dream of the dead woman, and none likely to come any time soon. I still wonder about the dream, though, whether if it had truly been a visitation and about the tangle of synchronicities that led to that strange (but informative) period of our lives.

ETA - re-reading my original post, I see that I'd held back that the woman I'd dreamed about had died under the care of this organization, and the person I refer to as the "main critic" above would have been responsible for giving the orders for her treatment.

Thank you very much for the additional information. The bit about the man seemingly like "a facsimile" was very creepy, it's no wonder you didn't feel you could trust him. *shudder*

It does seem as if you somehow 'picked up' on vibes (for want of a better word) from the group when they moved to the same area you'd moved to, and it's making me wonder whether you were somehow meant to move there, because they were going to be moving there too... you know? Just a thought that came to mind, anyway.

Wow. With the extra details this history is just as super creepy. The person of no vitality/aliveness—how tragic!
It also makes me wonder how many under-the-radar organized cesspools there are out there. This country is so vast.
I'm so glad that you're okay and heartily wish for you to remain so!

Thank you very much for the additional information. The bit about the man seemingly like "a facsimile" was very creepy, it's no wonder you didn't feel you could trust him. *shudder*

It does seem as if you somehow 'picked up' on vibes (for want of a better word) from the group when they moved to the same area you'd moved to, and it's making me wonder whether you were somehow meant to move there, because they were going to be moving there too... you know? Just a thought that came to mind, anyway.

Wow. With the extra details this history is just as super creepy. The person of no vitality/aliveness—how tragic!
It also makes me wonder how many under-the-radar organized cesspools there are out there. This country is so vast.
I'm so glad that you're okay and heartily wish for you to remain so!

It's worth mentioning maybe, that it's been alleged that the founder of this religion aimed to master a magical technique called "soul-breaking". This is supposed to be a technique to break open a person's soul and make it into a "portal" of sorts...for what purpose I'm not sure, though IMO, it couldn't have been good.

Given the feeling I had when being near the man who seemed like a facsimile - I can't help but wonder if this had been done to him.

It's worth mentioning maybe, that it's been alleged that the founder of this religion aimed to master a magical technique called "soul-breaking". This is supposed to be a technique to break open a person's soul and make it into a "portal" of sorts...for what purpose I'm not sure, though IMO, it couldn't have been good.

Given the feeling I had when being near the man who seemed like a facsimile - I can't help but wonder if this had been done to him.

:eek: Whoah.

And no, I can't think of a good purpose for something like that.

I wonder whether this character was in fact some sort of mole or plant put in place by the religious group to identify the trouble makers. Could explain his behaviour. Blimey I thought the UK is sometimes a weird and dangerous place to live, but what goes on in the US makes me shudder. Hope you and yours are safe!

I wonder whether this character was in fact some sort of mole or plant put in place by the religious group to identify the trouble makers. Could explain his behaviour. Blimey I thought the UK is sometimes a weird and dangerous place to live, but what goes on in the US makes me shudder. Hope you and yours are safe!

That's a good question, Pete - I think it was on some people's minds, but others trusted him so completely, the way cult members can be far too trusting. That's one thing I learned from my involvement here - while nearly anyone can be vulnerable to a cult, there's a level of trustingness there that's far beyond the ordinary. As if they've lost all their critical thinking skills, or simply let their leader do the thinking for them.

Perhaps people who are most easily led when it comes to cults and things like that, are people who are less likely to be skeptical about things in general... either because they have a need in their life that these cults seem to provide, or simply because they are not the sort of people who question things as a general rule... some people go through life accepting pretty much everything they see or hear, at face value.

In other words... would us 'fortean' types, who question things and look for answers, be less likely to become involved in cults?

Not looking to lay blame, just making an observation. I think a lot of these people who get taken in are vulnerable to some degree. And even the most hardened-sceptics can have difficulties in their lives which make them more susceptible to suggestion.

No, I don't really know where I was going with this!

Perhaps people who are most easily led when it comes to cults and things like that, are people who are less likely to be skeptical about things in general... either because they have a need in their life that these cults seem to provide, or simply because they are not the sort of people who question things as a general rule... some people go through life accepting pretty much everything they see or hear, at face value.

In other words... would us 'fortean' types, who question things and look for answers, be less likely to become involved in cults?

Not looking to lay blame, just making an observation. I think a lot of these people who get taken in are vulnerable to some degree. And even the most hardened-sceptics can have difficulties in their lives which make them more susceptible to suggestion.

No, I don't really know where I was going with this!

The one factor that was really noticeable to me (and mind you, I don't have any research to back this up, it was just really noticeable) was sociability. They were the most sociable people I'd ever met.

In contrast, I think it would be quite a job to convert a bunch of Fortean curmudgeons to anything. :p

Ulalume I noticed this extreme sociability with some religious groups as well.
When I was younger I visited several religious groups friends had joined.
Although they didn't know me they were very very friendly, giving hugs and kisses although I had never met them before which I found a bit offputting.

Ulalume I noticed this extreme sociability with some religious groups as well.
When I was younger I visited several religious groups friends had joined.
Although they didn't know me they were very very friendly, giving hugs and kisses although I had never met them before which I found a bit offputting.

That's a very good point... speaking for myself I get uncomfortable if people are too 'friendly'... it unnerves me... so yeah, it would make me run a mile from those people rather than making me want to join them!

I've known some psychiatrists socially and others who have worked very hard on emotional issues, and learned about the concept of personal boundaries from them. When people have learned healthy personal boundaries they don't instantly treat you like kin and best friends. They don't expect you to divulge your deepest soul secrets. They are not not "too friendly." They go through a process of developing a connection with you (or not) and become more open as you get to know each other and develop trust with each other. To be completely open is like being a very small child who needs the protection and direction of an adult, and so must trust that adult completely without question.

I've met a few very religious people (not loads of them) who were very happy to follow the directions of their respective religions (as they perceived them) so they wouldn't "have to think". One tried to convert me and used that as a selling point: "you don't have to think." I had to be very tactful to get out of the situation, but it sounded like a circle of hell to me, to not "have to think."

The description "facsimile" is brilliant. I saw a drug addict like this once. He or she—couldn't tell!—looked like a body where the human soul had been sucked out and replaced by the spirit of the drug, which forced the body to look for more of the drug. It's so hard to describe. it was one of the eeriest and most tragic things I have ever seen. What an evil thing, deliberately trying to deprive a person of whatever their soul is.

some people go through life accepting pretty much everything they see or hear, at face value.

I have known several people like that, often living in some sort of bubble. I have come to the conclusion that it's easier in some ways not to question anything, but certainly not something I could do.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure I should've read this thread so late at night. Bloomin' 'eck Ulalume!

That thing you say about the "facsimile" man, I had a similar feeling with someone I interviewed for a job once. Her CV was really interesting, and me and my boss were excited to meet her. But then when we did... there was nothing there. It was such an eerie feeling. Nothing evil or anything, just an unnerving sense of emptiness.

I might've thought that I had imagined it, but my boss remarked on exactly the same thing after the interview.

I've since come to see it as something trauma can do to a person. Without going into personal detail I've had close connections with severely traumatised people for years, and they really can just disappear and put up a sort of proxy persona in their place.

I was going to suggest antidepressants affecting her like that, but I think your observation regarding the effects of trauma makes more sense.

Back