• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts: Scary?

do you find ghosts, the idea of ghosts, etc, scary?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters
I voted sometimes. Sometimes corporeal people scare me, sometimes they don't. Depends on the character of the, er, disturbance.

I love how this thread got resurrected—twice!

I wonder if fear of ghosts is part of an animal instinct: we've all seen animals (like pets) get scared of apparently nothing, and that could be because they have experienced something that makes no sense to them, so raises their alarm bells. If you have the answers (or think you do) to what ghosts may be, you'll be less likely to be scared. On the other hand, if the truth of ghosts was disturbing, maybe you have good reason to be scared.

I’ve voted yes because in all my experiences I was truly terrified.
The thing in the hedge was I think the worst
1/because it was so close to where I lived
2/ because I think it knew I was seeing it and liked that
3/ and finally it was so out of place in such an ordinary familiar place

I’ve voted yes because in all my experiences I was truly terrified.
The thing in the hedge was I think the worst
1/because it was so close to where I lived
2/ because I think it knew I was seeing it and liked that
3/ and finally it was so out of place in such an ordinary familiar place
What did it look like ?

Voted NO I find them interesting, likely comes from
my mother who would tell me of a ghost were she
worked. I believe that more people see them than you
would think, it's just that they don't recognize they are
seeing a ghost.

Hi sabresonic I’ve been trying to find the story but no luck.The thing whatever it was
Was very thin a pale silvery white and hairless .It was in a thick privet hedge which was thrashing around like the thing was trying to get out.I didn’t see a face only the top of its head and very long thin arms and long fingers and surrounded by a silvery/shimmering mist!! I did post the story on a ghost thread but can’t find it now.

If with other people in a place i don't live in and can easily leave, then it would be fascinating. Alone in your own house at night it would be scary as hell.

As for the logic of being scared, it seems to me totally sensible. It's not a case of actual fear they'll hit you or kill you. Its the in built perfectly rational evolved fear of being seen and watched by something you can't see. In the past it would be a useful instinct to have to avoid a predator. In the modern world its still felt in our - many of us at least - jittery respond to small fast moving things like mice or spiders. If by ghost we mean something largely unseen but which moves objects, switches lights on and makes noises its obviously scary. It would be like being tormented by the invisible man.

Hi sabresonic I’ve been trying to find the story but no luck.The thing whatever it was
Was very thin a pale silvery white and hairless .It was in a thick privet hedge which was thrashing around like the thing was trying to get out.I didn’t see a face only the top of its head and very long thin arms and long fingers and surrounded by a silvery/shimmering mist!! I did post the story on a ghost thread but can’t find it now.
This one?

This may not seem related but I think it is.

I am traumatised by my dentist as a child. He was known by everyone in the town to be a butcher. He pulled six milk teeth out at once just giving me gas. Today I'm still terrified of the dentist.

When I go for a check up I grip the sides of the chair. I can be so worked up that it has been known for me to shout 'ouch' and jump when he just touched my shoulder!

Suggestion can really be powerful. The same for some people probably works for being in a 'haunted' location.

Good morning vardoger yup that’s the one .That really scared the s#+t out of me for weeks after that I would go home by any other route but that one even avoiding it in daylight.
Since I posted that story I’ve been in touch with my brother and he told me a story about the estates milkman seeing a man on horseback who just faded away in front of him
I can’t get any more details than that I’ve never heard the story before

Thats weird as I from some reports some of these Ghosts don't seem to be like human in action and a couple saw a similar thing Stockbridge Bypass.
Go to 3 minutes in the link below.

Sounds more like a alien encounter than a ghost.

Back