• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Worthing (U.K.) Hazardous Materials?!

Just saw this on BBC news. Puts me in mind of the mystery gas/smell thing that happened just a little further along the coast a year or two ago.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-49311079

Sounds serious

Police are responding to a "hazardous material incident" after people reported having sore eyes and vomiting at a seaside resort. A two-mile cordon has been set up on Worthing seafront. Social media users reported being evacuated from the pier, but this has not been confirmed by Sussex Police.

Might just be a bad lot of candy rock sticks.

Interesting stuff! Keep us posted, any E. Sussex based Forteans :)

Just saw this on BBC news. Puts me in mind of the mystery gas/smell thing that happened just a little further along the coast a year or two ago.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-49311079

And they never came up with a proper solution, they said it might be rotting seaweed, bacteria breeding in the sea, or the Dutch, or something else, right? I wonder if they'll solve this one?

The Sussex Police have concluded their inquiries with no ongoing action occurring. This news item was posted on the Sussex Police homepage.

Police conclude enquiries into hazardous material incident in Worthing

News • Aug 12, 2019 16:11 BST

Sussex Police have concluded enquiries into a hazardous material incident in Worthing on Sunday (11 August).

Following extensive searches of the seafront, including a drone and foot patrols, there was no evidence of anything that led to a reasonable explanation of what happened.

As a result of this, we are satisfied we have explored all lines of enquiry and there is no further involvement for police.

A small number of people reported symptoms including sore eyes and vomiting, two of whom were taken to hospital and later discharged.

We’d like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding while police cordons were in place.

Anyone with any concerns is asked to contact Adur and Worthing Council’s public health team on 01903 221064 or visit their website.

SOURCE: https://news.sussex.police.uk/news/...azardous-material-incident-in-worthing-377890

According to the news report I heard, they still don't know but suspect a passing cargo ship dumped some chemicals in the sea. Does that sound plausible?

According to the news report I heard, they still don't know but suspect a passing cargo ship dumped some chemicals in the sea. Does that sound plausible?
There have been similar cases.

l’m voting “mass hysteria”. Someone washes down some dodgy winkles with a pint too many, and bulks up on the beach. Someone else catches a whiff, and the chain reaction begins.

The “ship dumps chemicals” idea, while not impossible, sounds a bit “puma escapes from travelling menagerie after train crash/ionised gas illuminated by light from Venus” to me.

maximus otter

"Hazardous material that led to the evacuation of a seaside resort could have come from a nearby boat, investigators have said.

A two-mile cordon was put in place on Worthing seafront at about 11:20 BST on Sunday.

People reported having sore eyes and two were taken to hospital.

A spokeswoman for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency said: "The MCA is investigating if the source could have been from a vessel."

People were urged to stay away from the area and shut windows and doors."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-49320201

l’m voting “mass hysteria”. Someone washes down some dodgy winkles with a pint too many, and bulks up on the beach. Someone else catches a whiff, and the chain reaction begins.

The “ship dumps chemicals” idea, while not impossible, sounds a bit “puma escapes from travelling menagerie after train crash/ionised gas illuminated by light from Venus” to me.

maximus otter

I reckon it was retired rozzers dumping used chemicals as a nixer.

It's happened again, this time today on the beach at Frinton-on-Sea:
Beach panic

Seems eerily similar to the above, so could it have the same cause? Whatever that is.

We were caught up in this incident this afternoon, however we were around a mile along the coast from Frinton at Walton on the naze.

I’d been in the sea with my son and daughter, and after drying off they both developed a cough, and said their backs were hurting as they breathed in. I also noticed other kids coming out of the sea coughing.

The report says that the driver of a speedboat in Frinton, advised people to get out of the sea due to a fuel spill.

I take that to mean a fuel spill from said speedboat in Frinton, but surely a fuel spill from a speedboat (which I assume has an engine a lot smaller than that of a meduim sized car) can not affect people swimming in the sea a mile and a half away.

Or can it?
Do I need to be concerned about this?

We were caught up in this incident this afternoon, however we were around a mile along the coast from Frinton at Walton on the naze.

I’d been in the sea with my son and daughter, and after drying off they both developed a cough, and said their backs were hurting as they breathed in. I also noticed other kids coming out of the sea coughing.

The report says that the driver of a speedboat in Frinton, advised people to get out of the sea due to a fuel spill.

I take that to mean a fuel spill from said speedboat in Frinton, but surely a fuel spill from a speedboat (which I assume has an engine a lot smaller than that of a meduim sized car) can not affect people swimming in the sea a mile and a half away.

Or can it?
Do I need to be concerned about this?
Hope you're all OK.
What kind of fuel spill would have such an effect?

Cheers Int21 I think I will take them both to the docs tomorrow.

And no, I dident learn of the incident until about 10pm when I read about it on sky news.

Thanks again.

Exactly Myth and thanks.

I refuse to believe that a fuel spill from a speedboat would have caused this.
Yeah, I'm thinking 'something more toxic'.
It could be terrorists trying something as a test. Hope the police get some clues soon.

Dick Turpin,

If nothing else happens, your visit to the doctor should be recorded.

This is one of the things that AI should be good for, If it was to scan all the medical docs of all of us (and who is to say it doesn't already do so) then it should detect the pattern of people who went to the doctors with similar symptoms brought about by similar circumstances.

Back