• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Teen Becomes Blind From Long Term Junk Food Diet

Looks like I missed something here.

@balding13, what are you referring to in the above ?

INT21
Exactly what I posted. Anyone who believes that they are forbidden from exercising their rights to free speech is in the wrong place. Sorry if it was cryptic.

I gently suggest that many posters aren't familiar with, or have experience of the kind of mental health condition that we're talking about. People in this situation are quite capable of starving themselves nearly to death rather than eat a food source that creates that kind of anxiety.

There's often no easily identifiable root cause, but it's sometimes associated with ASC. I grew up with this (undiagnosed until I was 40) and it's almost impossible to explain how little control I had over myself as a teenager, even by the standards of that age range. For example, my fear of eating near other people meant that my health was compromised, as I went for days with just coffee and purloined cigarettes to keep my brain going.

If someone had tried to force me to eat "normally" I doubt I'd be here now. It would have been too much to face.

It's such a shame that the boy's family and GP didn't proactively try to a) get him therapeutic help to try to alleviate the effects of his disorder and b) supplement his restricted diet with vitamins in a liquid form as a kind of harm reduction measure (pilss/tablets being impossible to swallow).

I have some small experience with this through family members, and it can be progressive. Early psychological intervention helps, as does a varied and complex diet from weaning onwards, even if others think it's inappropriate for a baby to be mashing up blackberries or chomping on salami or prawns.

We had great success with a young relative who was odds-on for posessing ASD traits from birth due to a rare genetic condition - she was given (but not ever 'made' to eat) all kinds of 'adult food' from a young age; and taken fishing and helped prepare and eat the fish from being a toddler. Also fruit - any and all kinds which she now loves to eat. She still has some food issues but they're the more common/OCD things like certain items touching on a plate or mixing certain different foods together. So far, so good! She still loves lamb curry with the bones in and eating curry and rice with her fingers :)

I'm guessing the case under discussion might have been a combination of food avoidance disorder combined with parents who just didn't bother about food variety/content, or who maybe just didn't have the mental resources to do so. Such a shame.

Last edited:
Exactly what I posted. Anyone who believes that they are forbidden from exercising their rights to free speech is in the wrong place. Sorry if it was cryptic.

Certain of us who have spent time on the naughty step may fairly challenge your claim.

INT21.

Certain of us who have spent time on the naughty step may fairly challenge your claim.

INT21.
I prescribe a punishment of watching Stewart Lee. Search for 'you can be locked up for speaking English now'.

One of my friends worked in a hospital in Scotland a few years back. He told me of a lad who was detained and put on a treatment order due to stopping eating. The lad had a diagnosis of schizophrenia but mt friend wasn't totally convinced of that diagnosis. The lad would just stop eating and would become very ill. He was taken in to the psychiatric hospital and put on a nasal gastric tube, which he would tolerate. He was put on anti psychotic medication which usually stimulated appetite. The nasal gastric feed went on for some time. It was very odd and he would never say why. He was involved with a cult at one time which apparently engaged in taking behaviours to the extreme and apparently fasting was one of them but he would never say. My point is when it's life threatening behaviour driven by mental illness there is things which can be done.

A stand up comedian ! That can be classed as cruel and unusual punishment.

So, (and I ask this purely for the advancement of science) you think we are free talk about anything we choose here ?

INT21.

A stand up comedian ! That can be classed as cruel and unusual punishment.

So, (and I ask this purely for the advancement of science) you think we are free talk about anything we choose here ?

INT21.

Since you already know that politics is not encouraged here, the answer is no. Pretty much anything else legal is OK.

I'm assuming the 'here' you're talking about is this forum.

It's just politics and anything that can get the mag and this place in trouble, isnt it? Which is fine by me

Did the lad not show signs of going blind before it happened, nothing at all, he just suddenly was blind?

... Did the lad not show signs of going blind before it happened, nothing at all, he just suddenly was blind?

No, this was not the case (see the news account in post #1). The eating disorder has been alleged (elsewhere) as having begun circa age 12.

He first consulted a physician complaining of firedness at age 14. By age 15 he was complaining of vision and hearing problems. His vision continued to deteriorate until it reached the US threshold for legal blindess (20/200 in both eyes) when he was 17. Sometime after that it was determined his optic nerves were irreparably damaged.

It's just politics and anything that can get the mag and this place in trouble, isnt it? Which is fine by me ...

Politics is strongly discouraged (and prohibited in practice) as a matter of policy, in response to such discussions' consistently devolving into flame fests over the years.

The magazine's reputation and legal vulnerability is a non-issue now. This forum is no longer formally affiliated with the magazine. We are no longer affiliated with the publishers (from whom we rescued the forum last autumn).

The boundary conditions for acceptability can be reviewed in the Terms & Conditions:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?help/terms/

I am aware (how could I not be ?) of the rules regarding posts. I was just being pedantic.

:)

Think what it does to the others.

Back