• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost Place?

Trevp666

Beloved of Ra
I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this, but hey-ho....
Some years ago, I'd say when I was about 18-22 (I'm 53 now) I would often go with friends just out driving around (we had CB radios back then so every journey seemed to become an adventure for some reason).
On one particular occasion we drove from where I lived in Borehamwood, Herts, out into the further countryside somewhere and pulled up at some kind of high 'viewpoint' if you like.
Lots of other people were obviously aware of this place as there were a line of cars parked in the road near to the 'entrance' if you will.
Accessing the 'viewpoint' itself required (IIRC) walking from the road, through a line of trees, across a grassy area bordered on either side by small bushes (sort of like a 20 foot wide but few hundred feet long grassy bowling alley), before eventually emerging onto the top of a domed hillside looking out over some of East Hertfordshire.
What, looking back, seems odd about it was the following.
It also had some kind of stone or metal item embedded in the ground there with an inscription about someone being killed on that spot by a lightning strike?!

And nowadays I have tried to find that place again but memory has deserted me somewhat and I can't recall exactly where it was.
Now Hertfordshire is a relatively flat place, with it's highest point being (I believe)somewhere over in the Ashridge Forest Estate, and I think that's only something like 93 metres high. Other notable high points nearby I already know well - Dunstable Downs - The Barton Hills - Northern Heights.
So where is this other 'lost' place, with the remembrance of the lightning strike victim?
Anyone?

Last edited:
Hmmmm....from looking at it on google maps it could be the place, but I'm going to have to visit and see. So at least it's given me somewhere to go on the weekend. I shall report back.

Well I had a nice drive out to Coombe Hill today in the R26.
I can't say for sure if it is the place or not, but it was a nice visit. A lot of what I remember from the original place is present here, but then, there could be other similar places?
If you plan to visit here's what I can advise;
The little car park is accessed through a winding, narrow road which only has enough space for vehicles to pass each other in places, so I wouldn't recommend visiting in anything larger than a small car, but saying that, there was a large coach in the car park! (which is all quite different to how I remember it).
Not much in the way of facilities, but the board with the map on indicates refreshments available at weekends, but I couldn't see any (today is Sunday) so maybe that's during the summer only?
There is a small area within a little enclosure which has tables and benches formed from rough wood (probably windfallen trees have been used), so there is at least somewhere to sit if you bring a packed lunch.
It appears to be accessible for people with mobility issues, however I would advise that the pathways and marked trails are a bit lumpy bumpy, and muddy in places, and there are stock of some kind apparently grazing the area (I didn't see any) which have left some (ahem) 'messages' dotted around for the unwary traveller.
Wrap up if it's cold as it's obviously quite windy up on the top where the elements come straight at you.
And also wear sensible footwear like some kind of boot with good tread on - I saw people in flat shoes and/or trainers looking like they were having some traction issues on the wet grass and muddy bits.

The entrance from the car park to the 'picnic' area is where their little notice board and map is......
Coombe Hill notice resized.jpg

Walking from this point through the trees brings you out into an area where you can take a variety of paths but I opted to take the shortest route to the "Boer War Monument", which did indeed take me across a grassy area bordered on either side by small bushes.............
Coombe Hill wide path resized.jpg

Then through a small wooded area to another wide flat area where you could see the monument on the horizon..........
Coombe Hill wide flat area resized.jpg

View of the back of the monument.....
Coombe Hill monument approach resized.jpg

The front of the monument.....
Coombe Hill monument 1 resized.jpg

The inscription on the lower part of the front panel.....
Coombe Hill monument front notice resized.jpg

....and the upper part....
Coombe Hill front notice upper part resized.jpg

There is a metal plate on the back with details of a lightning strike.......
Coombe Hill lightning notice resized.jpg

I expect that on a nice clear day you can see a bloody long way! Today was fairly overcast and starting to drizzle a bit, but the view was pretty good!
Coombe Hill view 1 resized.jpg

As you can see, there is some brightness off in the distance.
Coombe Hill view 2 resized.jpg

So that pretty much concludes details of my trip today. I hope you enjoyed the pictures.
~666~

I get how the guy died. Someone yelled "duck" and he looked at the picture in the wreath. (sry)

Back