• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
My Mum as a child used to have to give up her bedroom when the family had visitors. Years later my Grandma told her that two visitors had quietly told her that they had seen the figure of an old woman in the room at the bottom of the bed. Neither knew each other. My Mum has never seen a ghost and doesn't believe in them.

Strangely my mum never believed in ghosts and absolutely refused to accept that people had seen them. That was until looking after a neighbour's house while they were away, a small blond girl appeared in front of her and disappeared when she told her to go. She learnt afterwards that others had seen the child as well.

My best friend, who is a very down-to-earth senior accountant, lost her father in her teens. She once told me that after he died, she would often feel someone sit down on the edge of her bed at night, and she always presumed it was him.

My best friend, who is a very down-to-earth senior accountant, lost her father in her teens. She once told me that after he died, she would often feel someone sit down on the edge of her bed at night, and she always presumed it was him.
After my grandad lost his second wife, he told me he would regularly feel her getting into bed with him. :tears:

I have just started reading 'True Ghost Stories Of Our Own Time' by Vivienne Rae-Ellis. In the introduction the author notes receiving a high percentage of reports from the Midlands and the North West of England. I wonder if this is just a chance happening or indicative of something more significance.

Yesterday I was out in town, chatting with a woman I know through voluntary work. We were both wearing Crocs so I pulled her leg a little. We laughed and she said 'I have two other pairs but I can't wear them!'

When I asked why she said 'The little spirit girl likes them. When I take them off she steals one and hides it. So I have two Crocs at home in different colours because I can't find the others! I've even gone out in the odd Crocs hoping to shame her into bringing them back but it didn't work.'

Seems the little spirit girl often nicks and hides things. I'll be beating more details out of the woman next time I see her!

Last edited:
A boyfriend said that he and a mate left a pub in Exeter? (memory fading, it was definitely in Devon), and found a phone box. They were looking for a taxi number when they heard the sound of a horse galloping. They both looked and saw a horse and rider galloped past at full speed. The rider had a billowing shirt, long flying hair and a distraught look which both blokes witnessed. They stepped out of the box to get a better look of him riding up the street, but he was gone. No sound. He was not sure if it was a ghost or real, but at about 11.00pm, he had his doubts.

Strongly reminds me of an incident I read about in a book, could be the same ghost! I'll dig it out and refresh my memory.

Strongly reminds me of an incident I read about in a book, could be the same ghost!

You're not thinking of the potentially Bronze Age ghost riding near the barrow, are you, Madame Snail? That's not in Devon as I recall...

I teach the English language to Russian students in Moscow. The term ends next Monday and the usual practice is to do some relaxed, fun things with your students at this time. (Christmas day is January 7th, but all the big celebrating goes on at New Year).

Today I had a class of young adults at quite advanced level. Their Age range is 16 to 19, and they are all very bright and articulate. I decided to do a discussion session with them - and I chose to discuss the uUexplained, with the emphasis on ghosts (to suit the season).

I gave out some photocopied true ghost stories and suchlike, and had them read them , with a bit of creepy music in the background.

The scene having been thus set I asked them for their own experiences. Here, for your delectation are some of the tales these young Muscovites regaled me with:

*The longest tunnel road in Moscow is said to have been built over an old burial ground. There are many car accidents in this tunnel, and some ascribe this to the work of ghosts and spirits that reside there.

* One student, when she was about 7, got out of bed having forgotten to say goodnight to her parents and with the intention of then doing so. She looked out of her bedroom window only to see Baba Yagar* floating outside her room!(They lived in an apartment block, as do most Russians). The old crone was holding a knife and beckoning her to come outside. She spent the rest of that night with her parents and from then on always closed her curtains until well into her teens.

*One student lives with her older sister and mother. Their living room has an acoustic guitar in it, although nobody in the faily knows how to play it. Her mother and sister have told her of times when they have heard the guitar being played expertly in the night (This situation is ongoing - although the teller of the tale has not heard it hersllf) The mother and sister ascribe this to a haunting and are quite relaxed and unperturbed by the prospect.

* There is a stretch of road in central Moscow that is known for being a place where the radio reception in cars always inexplicable gives out.

*Another student dreamt one night that she was commiting suicide by slashing her wrists. She awoke in fright and was relieved to discover that it had not been true. However she later got a call from a friend askihg her if she was `allright` as they had dreamt that she had come to some kind of harm. Then later another person - seperately- contacted her with the same question and information!

*One student's aunty had, only last summer, videoed a stationary bright UFO over Romania. Another student told us that his grandfather told a tale of how he had been followed by a ball of light as he was bein g given a lift on the back of an open pick up truck - sometime in the Eighties.

*They all agreed that if something is missing in your flat then what you need to do is to place your hand on an inverted glass and say: ` Come on domovoi** - you've played with it, now return it.` You will then remember where you mislaid the item. They ascribed the effectiveness of this remedy purely down to psychology, however.

There were only five students in that class. None of these stories (and there were some others too) had to be dragged out of them and, I believe, they were all told in earnest. I don't often love my job - but there are times when I do.

* Baba Yagar is a fugure from Russian fairytales - a terrifying old hag.

** The domovoi is a sort of playful goblin like spirit who is said to live in people's apartments. He is responsible for stealing things from time to time.

I teach the English language to Russian students in Moscow. The term ends next Monday and the usual practice is to do some relaxed, fun things with your students at this time. (Christmas day is January 7th, but all the big celebrating goes on at New Year).

Today I had a class of young adults at quite advanced level. Their Age range is 16 to 19, and they are all very bright and articulate. I decided to do a discussion session with them - and I chose to discuss the uUexplained, with the emphasis on ghosts (to suit the season).

*The longest tunnel road in Moscow is said to have been built over an old burial ground. There are many car accidents in this tunnel, and some ascribe this to the work of ghosts and spirits that reside there.
Must be this tunnel.

Yesterday I was out in town, chatting with a woman I know through voluntary work. We were both wearing Crocs so I pulled her leg a little. We laughed and she said 'I have two other pairs but I can't wear them!'

When I asked why she said 'The little spirit girl likes them. When I take them off she steals one and hides it. So I have two Crocs at home in different colours because I can't find the others! I've even gone out in the odd Crocs hoping to shame her into bringing them back but it didn't work.'

Seems the little spirit girl often nicks and hides things. I'll be beating more details out of the woman next time I see her!

This is quite peculiar. I've not delved into this thread for a week or two but I too have a friend ( a nurse who works in aged care ) who also always wears odd Crocs. I asked her why once and she told me that the ghost always mixes hers up and she never can find the matching pair together. How odd! I wonder if this is specific to Croc wearers? Incidentally, my friend's name is Jaine. Yours wouldn't be too?

Must be this tunnel.
I lost a couple of good Canadian friends/colleagues in an RTA in a Moscow tunnel either winter 95 or 96. The drove into the back of a broken down concrete lorry that was filthy from the snow and practically invisible in the poor tunnel lighting.

This is quite peculiar. I've not delved into this thread for a week or two but I too have a friend ( a nurse who works in aged care ) who also always wears odd Crocs. I asked her why once and she told me that the ghost always mixes hers up and she never can find the matching pair together. How odd! I wonder if this is specific to Croc wearers? Incidentally, my friend's name is Jaine. Yours wouldn't be too?

Nope, the lady isn't called Jaine and doesn't work in health care!

The drove into the back of a broken down concrete lorry that was filthy from the snow and practically invisible in the poor tunnel lighting.
Well, there ya go! Sounds like an issue with poor design.
My sympathy to you for the loss of your friends. I assume they were young, too. :(

I think Escargot doesn't need any sleep. Always busy, always in communication, always productive. It's uncanny.

I think Escargot doesn't need any sleep. Always busy, always in communication, always productive. It's uncanny.
My boss wouldn't agree. He's been ringing me for over an hour now. I'm not picking up in case he tries to foist more work on me.

She's really an AI from the future. Not human.
Busted.

For an AI from the future, you have a pretty good sense of humor!

(BTW - is that the same boss who thinks you're imagining the danger from your psychotic co-worker? Not to say that people are dangerous just for being psychotic—I've know a couple of very sweet, considerate psychotics. It's the kind of opportunity you get when you work with the public.)

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread, and it's reminded me of a few encounters I've heard (second hand) through the years.

• One of the most memorable lessons from my time at primary school was when we had a (clearly out of her depth) supply teacher for a term, who was almost certainly of the Fortean-bent. In one lesson, near the end of the school year, she seemed to completely abandon the curriculum altogether and asked us to share our own creepy experiences. To this day, I can still remember one of my classmates telling a story in which she went into her bathroom and saw an old man sitting in the corner of the room counting eggs into a bowl.
  • In the same village as my school, there is a very old house (possibly the oldest in the village) which features fixtures and fittings taken from the old Norman church that used to serve the village (it was demolished back in the 1800s as it was at the bottom of a steep hill and was far too out of the way to serve its growing community, with a new build church springing up in the center of the village). The house has long had a reputation for being haunted, something my brother experienced first hand when staying the night (it was the home of a friend, at the time) and saw a hooded figure walk through the bedroom. He mentioned it the next morning and his friend's mum was quite blase, saying that the family had all seen the man at one time or another
  • The same brother had an experience at a university house in Manchester, in which he saw the legs of a child run past him while he was preparing food in the kitchen. It didn't bother him too much but was enough for one of his housemates to pack up and leave that month
  • My dad, while never somebody who has much overt interest in strangeness or woo, has had a few experiences he's shared with me. He grew up in pubs, and once had a memorable experience as a teenager in a beer cellar, in which a whistling presence was stood right behind him - but vanished when he turned round to look. He also told me about a friend of his who had agreed to housesit for his parents while they were on holiday. One night he woke up to go to the bathroom, returned to his bed and, as he was settling back down under the duvet, saw a man in a nightcap check a pocket watch while resting his elbow on a sideboard
  • An elderly neighbour of mine used to spend his summer evenings sat on his front step, watching the world go by. After he died, his daughter (who had since moved into the house) pulled up on the drive and saw him sat there as usual. It took her a second or two to realise he'd been dead for some time

Last edited:
Back