• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
1st off one can't plan an "exciting LSD experience:, one can only hope for one. An individual can take LSD and then hope for the best. They may laugh uncontrollably for hours (as happy as a pig in shit). Or one could end up in a an uncontrollable rage or panic paranoid about perceived dangers that don't exist while completely out of touch with reality and not knowing when to expect it's return. The problem is that with LSD (at least strong acid) the individual not only experiences: seeing sounds, hearing colors, having visions, etc. but usually fully believes them. It can go on for days. Seen people end up in jail and hospital because of LSD. That was the 70's.
The above statements are based on what I've seen not on any article or Dr. research. I wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10' pole.

Last edited:
1st off one can't plan an "exciting LSD experience:, one can only hope for one. An individual can take LSD and then hope for the best. They may laugh uncontrollably for hours (as happy as a pig in shit). Or one could end up in a an uncontrollable rage or panic paranoid about perceived dangers that don't exist while completely out of touch with reality and not knowing when to expect it's return. The problem is that with LSD (at least strong acid) the individual not only experiences: seeing sounds, hearing colors, having visions, etc. but usually fully believes them. It can go on for days. Seen people end up in jail and hospital because of LSD. That was the 70's.
The above statements are based on what I've seen not on any article or Dr. research. I wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10' pole.
Stories like this have their basis back in the days where the doses used to be as high as 1000mics. Most people find that doses around 100mics are far more manageable, while still being entertaining. In fact, low doses of around 20mics are very manageable and actually promote a high degree of neuroplasticity, and even enhance natural intellect by allowing the discovery and adoption of new ideas with more proficiency. As always, education is key, and the abuses to which the drug was put in the 60's and 70's by the CIA in their largely successful attempts to dismantle the counter-culture, and the subsequent use of the drug for recreation and by cults has done a lot to discredit what was originally a valuable pharmaceutical that was extremely valuable in the treatment of obsessional disorders.

This could end up being a significant item relating to our end of days - or perhaps our collective attitude toward an end of days ...

Clinical trials are ongoing to establish the utility of psilocybin in therapeutic applications. There's a problem with harvesting large amounts of psilocybin from its natural source (mushrooms). A research team has genetically modified bacteria to poop psilocybin at rates that would facilitate mass production.

The bacteria thus modified to produce and exude psilocybin? Our old friend E. coli - one of the most ubiquitous bacteria occupying our guts.

Genetically-modified E. coli that produces substantial amounts of psilocybin ...

What could possibly go wrong (or at least go "sideways")? :thought:
:evillaugh:

Scientists Engineered a Bacterium That Poops Out Huge Amounts of Psilocybin

Scientists have found a new way to harvest psilocybin, the psychedelic compound typically found in mushrooms. They've engineered bacteria to produce psilocybin in their cells and poop it out, in gram-scale concentrations that are higher than any other bioengineered organism to date.

It is, the researchers say, a significant step towards demonstrating the feasibility of industrial-scale production of the drug.

Psilocybin is found in over 200 fungus species, and has long enjoyed a reputation for its psychedelic and hallucinogenic properties. In recent years, however, it has become increasingly evident that psychedelic drugs also have serious potential for treating conditions such as treatment-resistant depression.

But mass-producing the compound from mushrooms would require a lot of time, and a lot of space to grow the fungi. So a team of biochemists led by Andrew Jones and Alexandra Adams of Miami University decided to try something else - metabolic engineering.

This is a biosynthesis process that relies on changing cells so they will produce compounds they don't naturally produce, or in quantities they don't naturally produce; one example of this is bioethanol, which can be used as biofuel.

A popular bacterium for this purpose is Escherichia coli, since it is easy to engineer, prolific, well understood and has a large and versatile array of genetic tools available for engineering. So, this is what the team used as their host.

They introduced psilocybin-producing genes from the quintessential 'magic mushroom' Psilocybe cubensis into the bacterium, to see if that would induce the microbes to produce psilocybin. It worked, with varying levels of success. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-made-a-bacterium-that-poops-out-psilocybin

This could end up being a significant item relating to our end of days - or perhaps our collective attitude toward an end of days ...

Clinical trials are ongoing to establish the utility of psilocybin in therapeutic applications. There's a problem with harvesting large amounts of psilocybin from its natural source (mushrooms). A research team has genetically modified bacteria to poop psilocybin at rates that would facilitate mass production.

The bacteria thus modified to produce and exude psilocybin? Our old friend E. coli - one of the most ubiquitous bacteria occupying our guts.

Genetically-modified E. coli that produces substantial amounts of psilocybin ...

What could possibly go wrong (or at least go "sideways")? :thought:
:evillaugh:

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-made-a-bacterium-that-poops-out-psilocybin
I hope it doesn't end up in the wild (i.e., in all of us).

Ken Kesey spoke at my graduation. We used to have a small pic of Aleister Crowley we would drop from the top of a staircase at South Eugene High; if it landed face up, we were required to head over to the UofO and the river where we would.. you know..

From memory, tripping in a supermarket is an unpleasant experience. Me and a mate were once frog marched out of one in Tamworth because we were sitting on the floor in the magazine section reading comics. We were also ordered to leave a wedding reception we gate crashed later that night. I apologised to the security guard a week or so later when I realised it was me/us being the pricks and not him. We'd have been about 20 years old. The last I heard, he was a manager for OXFAM or somewhere similar in The Isle Of White .. I think ..

.. he used to have a list of every type of acid he'd taken written in biro on his bedroom wall; ying yangs, purple oms, green oms, flying saucers, bart simpsons, batmans, window panes that you put on our eyelids, all the different colours of micro dots etc etc etc ..

I realise you're just punning but back then, honestly .. I realised that doing anything at all for approximately 12 hours in a row wasn't fun, the average length of an LSD trip, a work shift to this very day, an unlikely and improbable drug free walk in the park, LSD etc? .. I just wanted it to end as if someone keeps telling you the same joke over 12 hours. 'magic mushooms' trips only last about 4 hours, you can probably get some sleep then. I'm not advocating shrooms .. but I loved them. They're not for everyone, illegal to take and frequently cause mental health problems.

There was a relatively short period in my youth when I tried LSD (which coincided with A level exams). Nothing happened after 40 mins the first time I took it, so I took some more - then the first lot kicked in. *Stupid*. 19 hours later it was out of my system and everything was back to boring normal. I was down by the river on a lazy Summer's afternoon heading home and a trout rise sent a ripple across the bank - the world was normal, the ripple was a vivid purple - never really taken reality for granted since then.

Point of the article is that managing intake on the basis of very steady research and trial means adverse impact can be completely avoided and neural benefits maximised. Amanda has dedicated her life to that specific purpose. Dosing in ignorance has always been a needless exercise in russian roulette.

PTSD and depression are two conditions that are being trialled for treatment with psilocybin.

A ‘magic mushroom’ nasal spray has been designed to make microdosing easier for people trying to treat their PTSD or depression.

Silo Wellness, an Oregon company with a team with roots in cannabis delivery modalities, has developed a magic mushroom nasal spray in Jamaica – where psilocybin is legal – for controlled, metered-dosing known as ‘microdosing’.

https://www.healtheuropa.eu/worlds-first-magic-mushroom-nasal-spray-for-ptsd-and-depression/95434/

PTSD and depression are two conditions that are being trialled for treatment with psilocybin. A ‘magic mushroom’ nasal spray has been designed to make microdosing easier for people trying to treat their PTSD or depression. Silo Wellness, an Oregon company with a team with roots in cannabis delivery modalities, has developed a magic mushroom nasal spray in Jamaica – where psilocybin is legal – for controlled, metered-dosing known as ‘microdosing’. https://www.healtheuropa.eu/worlds-first-magic-mushroom-nasal-spray-for-ptsd-and-depression/95434/
The better results could be achieved with LSD if it weren't proscribed. This is exactly the purpose it was designed for.

I realise you're just punning but back then, honestly .. I realised that doing anything at all for approximately 12 hours in a row wasn't fun, the average length of an LSD trip, a work shift to this very day, an unlikely and improbable drug free walk in the park, LSD etc? .. I just wanted it to end as if someone keeps telling you the same joke over 12 hours. 'magic mushooms' trips only last about 4 hours, you can probably get some sleep then. I'm not advocating shrooms .. but I loved them. They're not for everyone, illegal to take and frequently cause mental health problems.
I've never seen shrooms and mescaline produce the uncontrolled violent or panic reactions that I've witnessed with strong LSD. Like swifty mentioned the LSD experience can take a very long time to end. Sugar cubes one time sent me on uncontrolled trip for many days, quite scary. Blotter, microdot, ozlies, etc seemed much weaker and the trip lasted ~ 4 to 8 hours. I recall some of these weaker-cheaper forms of acid were laced with strychnine (why?).

I've never seen shrooms and mescaline produce the uncontrolled violent or panic reactions that I've witnessed with strong LSD. Like swifty mentioned the LSD experience can take a very long time to end. Sugar cubes one time sent me on uncontrolled trip for many days, quite scary. Blotter, microdot, ozlies, etc seemed much weaker and the trip lasted ~ 4 to 8 hours. I recall some of these weaker-cheaper forms of acid were laced with strychnine (why?).
I think the strychnine was on there, as you say, because it was a cheap way to give the feel of "tripping" and supposedly enhanced the feeling and visuals --of course it just tied your stomach in knots and made you giddy.

I recall some of these weaker-cheaper forms of acid were laced with strychnine (why?).
I don't know if it's true or not but I was told that acid degrades to strychnine when it's past its use by date.

I think the strychnine was on there, as you say, because it was a cheap way to give the feel of "tripping" and supposedly enhanced the feeling and visuals --of course it just tied your stomach in knots and made you giddy.

Addition of strychnine to LSD is something of an urban legend that dates back to the 1960s.

In his book LSD: My Problem Child Albert Hofmann mentions one anecdote about strychnine being found in a powder containing LSD. This may or may not be the source of the association between LSD and strychnine. To the best of my knowledge this is the only documented case confirming the two substances were really ever found together.

From the late 1960s through the 1970s there was a persistent bit of street drug lore claiming strychnine was deliberately added to LSD to either enhance (a) color in the visual effects or (b) the somatic / physical tweaks known as "body rushes." I never heard any reasonable explanation for how strychnine was supposed to enhance visuals. The body rush version makes more (theoretical) sense, given strychnine's hallmark effects on muscles.

I don't know if it's true or not but I was told that acid degrades to strychnine when it's past its use by date.

Nonsense. LSD and strychnine are entirely different organic compounds. LSD can degrade over time, but in doing so it turns into other ergotamine type compounds which are toxic - not strychnine.

Last edited:
Addition of strychnine to LSD is something of an urban legend that dates back to the 1960s.

In his book LSD: My Problem Child Albert Hofmann mentions one anecdote about strychnine being found in a powder containing LSD. This may or my not be the source of the association between LSD and strychnine. To the best of my knowledge this is the only documented case confirming the two substances were really ever found together.

From the late 1960s through the 1970s there was a persistent bit of street drug lore claiming strychnine was deliberately added to LSD to either enhance (a) color in the visual effects or (b) the somatic / physical tweaks known as "body rushes." I never heard any reasonable explanation for how strychnine was supposed to enhance visuals. The body rush version makes more (theoretical) sense, given strychnine's hallmark effects on muscles.

Nonsense. LSD and strychnine are entirely different organic compounds. LSD can degrade over time, but in doing so it turns into other ergotamine type compounds which are toxic - not strychnine.
Cheers. I've got a scrapbook full of old newspaper clippings and the like of raves I used to go to that included an LSD tab hidden under a clipping and sealed in sellotape .. I told someone I knew about it and he insisted on having this nearly 30 years old tab so he could drop it. It had no effect on him he reported.

There was a misconception among street users in the Olde Daze concerning what a trip was supposed to be like. It was popularly assumed that there would be a lot of visual effects, hallucinations, and somatic / body tweaks and mis-perceptions.

These blatant effects are primarily caused by additives and adulterants - not by the LSD itself. Pure clinical LSD yields a primarily emotional / psychological experience without all the perceptual carnival window dressing.

Expert trippers of the 1960s and 1970s often selected street acid over the far more rare pharmaceutical / clinical LSD because the latter (pure) version didn't give these effects - either to the same subjective extent, or even at all.

In his book LSD: My Problem Child Albert Hofmann mentions one anecdote about strychnine being found in a powder containing LSD. This may or my not be the source of the association between LSD and strychnine. To the best of my knowledge this is the only documented case confirming the two substances were really ever found together.

Interesting! Everyone had those same questions in the '80s; they also couldn't understand how strychnine was supposed to enhance visual hallucinations, or the experience generally. It was supposed that it was added to blotter paper "hits" but not added to the occasionally available "pure liquid LSD" which could be ingested a variety of ways.

I never heard any reasonable explanation for how strychnine was supposed to enhance visuals.

The body rush version makes more (theoretical) sense, given strychnine's hallmark effects on muscles.

Strychnine was popularly used as an athletic performance enhancer and recreational stimulant in the late 19th century and early 20th century, due to its convulsant effects. It was thought to be similar to coffee.

Its effects are well-described in H. G. Wells' novella The Invisible Man: the title character states "Strychnine is a grand tonic ... to take the flabbiness out of a man." “

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strychnine#Performance_enhancer

maximus otter

Back