• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Seriously Bad Taste Merchandise

How I wish this was available.

Ever popular Donner Party snow dome.jpg

"They're selling postcards of the hanging..." - the opening lines of Bob Dylan's "Desolation Row"

And disturbingly real.

2dwi3io.jpg
" desolation row " is considered bob dylan's 6th greatest song say's american songwriter magazine . on june 15th , 1920 residents of duluth minnesota lynched three african - american circus workers ( this is the lynching dylan refers too ) https://wikimedia.org/wiki/file:duluth-lynching-postcard.jpg , not above photo . heres an article https:www.cvltnation.com/nsfw-american-terrorism-lynching-postcards/ on a " picker " who talks about his collection of lynching postcards . i myself find the postcards appalling & disturbing , although i realize that they are a sad part of american history

Last edited:
Perhaps not bad taste, but one I find a bit odd. It's a glass decoration, for hanging on the christmas tree.
773014391201.jpg

Last edited:
There was good money to be made photographing dead outlaws back in the 1800s

http://thesolopreneurlife.com/a-macabre-niche-from-the-1800s-photos-of-dead-outlaws/
Not exactly on the topic of big sellers, but that reminded me of a programme about photography I was watching recently (BBC4?) - that (possibly) because arranging the composition of a painting was standard, then early photographers documenting the American civil war thought it'd be fine to arrange the composition of their photographs. I.e. dragging bodies about the battlefield until they looked suitable. One assumes that's not terribly approved of now.
Something on it here
https://www.loc.gov/collections/civ...e-camera-ever-lie/the-case-of-the-moved-body/

We had a thread about Nazi Christmas tree baubles a while back so I did a quick Google for them, and now I'm sorry. Repulsive tat.

Strangely, some Star of David ones came up too. That's Jewish decorations for a Christian celebration on a page about Nazi imagery. It's about a display in a museum exhibition.

I wonder, though, what the true intention of the people who created these things was. When I visited Auschwitz circa 1980, I was surprised to find that picture postcards of the camp were available at the museum and in town. They were not intended to celebrate the death camp, but merely to document it. (See the very first posts in this thread for similar items.)

A few years later I recognized one such postcard, which had been sent to an academic department by a fellow student, at quite a distance. "Looks like a postcard from Auschwitz", I said casually - prompting strange looks and spasms of sick laughter from folks in earshot.

Similarly, ChasFink - This might be me being naive, with my brain thinking up the only sane reason for that bauble it could. When I heard the news item, it made me think of when you want to order promotional items for, say a band or something. So while you can get t-shirts or keyrings featuring your uploaded image, they'll also sell you things that are completely weird for a band (like an umbrella or a tin of biscuits) - but things that might not be particularly weird, were you looking to promote your something-or-other-else.
I was (possibly improbably) thinking they might have had an image of a revolting death camp uploaded for some postcards to be printed or something (not a postcard I'd rush for personally, but it's local tourism isn't it) - and automatically, all the other options were also uploaded. So that it might not have been deliberate, but just a cock-up and an omission of care. (But you can't get so cross on twitter about that).
That was my charitable view anyway. (It wouldn't surprise me if there are just mad and/or sick people out there though, and my thought is entirely wrong).

Last edited:
Probably: May The Curse Of Allah Be Upon You! Let Your Progeny (and their dolls) Have The Heads Of Monkeys!

On the vaguely islamic theme, anyone else recall the fuss from 10 or so years ago about some clothing stores selling Arafat/Hamas-style keffeyahs under the cringingly ironic name "peace scarf"?
I think here in the UK, Primark sold them for a while, with their marketing aimed primarily at youngsters. The press soon dubbed them "terrorist chic for kids" and the retailers initially renamed them to "Euro scarves" and then pulled them completely.

On the vaguely islamic theme, anyone else recall the fuss from 10 or so years ago about some clothing stores selling Arafat/Hamas-style keffeyahs under the cringingly ironic name "peace scarf"?
I think here in the UK, Primark sold them for a while, with their marketing aimed primarily at youngsters. The press soon dubbed them "terrorist chic for kids" and the retailers initially renamed them to "Euro scarves" and then pulled them completely.

Urban Outfitters - the "Anti-War Woven Scarf"

I know someone who happily wore a keffeyah because they're warm and versatile. No political or fashion statement or anything, they just keep out the Swedish cold.

"Palestina scarfs" are not that uncommon around here.

I wear these a lot, what's the problem? Nobody's ever looked surprised.

Urban Outfitters - the "Anti-War Woven Scarf"

I know someone who happily wore a keffeyah because they're warm and versatile. No political or fashion statement or anything, they just keep out the Swedish cold.

Yeah, keeps you warm but doesn't make you sweat

I remember wearing one to work though and got this reaction:

Wit1: Here's Yasser Arafat.

Wit2: More like Mrs Arafat.

Yeah, keeps you warm but doesn't make you sweat

I remember wearing one to work though and got this reaction:

Wit1: Here's Yasser Arafat.

Wit2: More like Mrs Arafat.

If you wore the matching suicide vest, that would probably make you sweat a bit!

I guess it's the irony of marketing this look as somehow "peaceful" or "anti-war" that is so incongruous:

Attachments

• scarf2.JPG
    scarf2.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 14
  • scarf1.JPG
    scarf1.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 16
Back