• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ancient Egyptian Cone Headpieces Or Hats

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Recent examinations have confirmed the existence of mysterious cone / conical hats or headpieces long known only from graphical representations. Some researchers had theorized they were graphic glosses (analogous to Christian figures' halos) rather than actual objects.

However, the purpose or significance of these cones remains as mysterious as ever.
It Turns Out Curious Head Cones in Ancient Egyptian Art Were Actually Real Hats

Most of the garments depicted in ancient Egyptian art are relatively straightforward to decipher, but there's a particular wearable article that has baffled archaeologists. In statuary, murals, funerary stelae, coffins and relief sculptures dating between 3,570 and 2,000 years ago, people repeatedly appeared wearing cones on their heads, a bit like party hats.

Now, for the first time, archaeologists have actually identified two such cones, crafted out of wax and adorning the heads of skeletons dating back some 3,300 years. The finds were excavated from the cemeteries of the city of Akhetaten, also known as Amarna.

This discovery may finally help to resolve several theories about what the head cones mean, and what their function was back in the day.

"The excavation of two cones from the Amarna cemeteries confirms that three-dimensional, wax-based head cones were sometimes worn by the dead in ancient Egypt, and that access to these objects was not restricted to the upper elite," the researchers wrote in their paper.

"The Amarna discovery supports the idea that head cones were also worn by the living, although it remains difficult to ascertain how often and why." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/curious-head-cones-in-ancient-egyptian-art-were-actually-real-hats

sorry... this is the first time I hear about Head Cones in ancient Egypt.... blimey
Is this a common knowledge?

I'd seen the head cones in paintings and inscriptions, but I'd never given them any thought. It wasn't until I saw the cited article that I knew they'd been a puzzle for archaeologists.

The discoveries described in the article are from Akhetaten / Amarna - a location founded and developed by Akhenaten. He was the pharaoh renowned for attempting to transform Egyptian religion into a more or less monotheistic motif. This transformation apparently fizzled out and faded away after his death.

It makes me wonder whether the head cones were uniquely associated with his failed religious innovations. :thought:

I thought the pictures had been interpreted as a solid lump of some perfume which, as it melted would run down into and perfume the hair and skin?

and I thought there was documentary evidence.

Given eg the use of minature wooden cows for actual cows, I'm uncomfortable saying that the things found are "real".

I thought the pictures had been interpreted as a solid lump of some perfume which, as it melted would run down into and perfume the hair and skin? ...

Because the cones were made of wax, the perfumed application theory was mentioned in the full article. The researchers cited above checked for signs of such dissemination of material into the hair (etc.) below, but found none. In addition, they found traces of an inner lining which didn't make sense if the wax cone was designed to melt. They therefore discounted the dribble-down hypothesis.

I'm suggesting that there needn't be much resemblance between the thing and its symbol to our eyes.

Finding that that the hats don't work as dribbly smelly wax things, doesn't mean that they aren't a representation of dribbly smelly wax things.

A cow can be represented by a model of a cow, or a picture of a cow, or a cow bone wrapped in a cloth that has cow written on it.

Hang it, in times when cows go up in value and the benevolent gaze of the dead goes down you can stick a piece of cloth in on it's own!

:)

When I saw the headline, I imagined a tall pointy cone like a wizard's hat. This is a just a small thing, somewhere between a skull cap and a fez.

So, if you take away the word "cone" or "conical", what do we have? A small hat made of wax reinforced with fabric.

I say take away the word "cone" because it is a distraction. How would a future generation consider evidence of "cylindrical headpiece" (top hat) or a "soft felt discus" (beret)? Perhaps most relevantly, a "hat in the shape of a truncated cone" is a fez.

My point is that in an attempt to describe in precise terms something that is not understood, the terminology used can have subliminal associations. A conical hat sounds like something that would be worn for ritual or magical purposes, where as a "small waxed cloth hat with a low pointed crown" just sounds like a garment. Plenty of people wear waxed cotton caps in the UK today.

We may never know why these conical hats were worn, and there may have been no single overriding reasons. My own ideas include:

Just fashion. Wax, reinforced with cloth, would make a cheap, easy to decorate, and malleable hat. You could decorate the wax with incisions, or sprinkle it with coloured powders, or embed semi precious stones or beads into the wax. You could wear it "straight" as a cone, or squash or shape it according to your taste, age group, attitude, etc.

Compare this with how the standard brimmed felt hat is worn, with some people putting a crease in the crown, others putting dimples in it, some folding up the brim, others folding it down, and so on. My grandfather was of the generation and class that he never went out without his hat. If at the end of the evening, he and his friends had gone to take their hats off the rack, they would all have been trilbies, but each man would have immediately recognised his own.

Compare it also with the simple baseball cap, where much can be told about a person from the quality of the hat, the shape of the peak, and which way the peak faces when the hat is being worn.

Some have assumed that the wax cones would have melted. This is something that could be tested empirically, but my guess is that it would soften and not simply melt into a pool. If you went out in the hot sun all day, this might be shown in the state of your hat. A waxed hat might even have served a similar purpose to the "radiation badges" that fog when you've had too much exposure "Your hat's starting to droop, Dave, you'd better get in the shade."

Another possibility is that by wearing a waxed hat, which would provide no protection from the sun, and be vulnerable to heat damage itself, the wearer was demonstrating that they had sufficient status to work indoors in the shade. I'd draw a comparison with cultures where wealthy women paint their palms, or grow and paint their finger nails, as a way of showing that they do not have to work with their hands. Perhaps those who did manual work outdoors wore brimmed hats, and the bosses who worked in the "back office" wore brimless waxed hats.

A common pattern of baldness in males is a thinning crown. A small circular hat might conceal this.

I imagine that these hats were semi-disposable, and to some extent, recyclable.

We may simply be attaching too much importance to them because they are so different from anything we wear today. We all know that archaeologists and prehistorians reach for "ritual significance" as a generic explanation for anything that has no obvious practical purpose. At the time, these hats may have had no more significance than being the predominant daily headgear for one class or group in society.

We all know that archaeologists and prehistorians reach for "ritual significance" as a generic explanation for anything that has no obvious practical purpose.

It /isn't/ the default interpretation on the lines of beginner programming exercises - build a program which will attempt to identify animals by asking questions. Or colours or whatever. Given that students can't build something that knows everything about everything, it's an exercise in defining a deafult, often jellyfish for some reason :confused:, and then creating questions which define a different result.

"Head cones" is, I think, an attempt at describing artefacts without loading them with cultural values. Hat, headgear, crown, headdress all come with cultural baggage.

Yes, the problem can be solved by calling them #762 or whatever and that is what often happens when you are working on the artfacts; or they get called something ridiculous, memorable and very helpful in breaking down preconceptions and opening up the field: head nipples, Andy's bumps after the first person who identified them as a possibly useful category. mystery thingy #1...

Ritual, spiritual, magical aren't "reached for", it's part of the process of interpretation. Artefacts are often described as "unknown purpose". They sit in the data so that they can be used by interested researchers but they don't make the popular excerpts or press releases unless someone does a deliberate "what do you think this is?" campaign.

When I first read the beginning of the article I thought of this:
1576174218568.png

The white crown of upper egypt!

That's a beautiful BEAUTIFUL piece @Vardoger

I wonder how big it is?

Throwing my wax cone into the ring, I suggest it is a covering that sits directly above the pineal gland, and as such has a symbolic/mystical significance.
Not sure why it would be made of wax.
Such a structure does nto look particualrly secure, given it;s relatively small size in relation to the skull.
Unlikely to stay on if the wearer walked around?

Could it be some kind of evaporative cooling hat to keep cold in the egyptian sun?

That's an interesting suggestion, but I'm not sure how it would work as a cooling device. As far as I know, wax is an insulator, so it wouldn't conduct heat away from the head. However, it's conceivable wax could serve to insulate something cold contained within the cone.

Last edited:
The only two confirmed examples discovered to date were found with corpses. Maybe the cones were some sort of ceremonial adornment used only for the dead, and they were never used as headgear by the living.

This might imply the cones' appearance on the heads of figures in paintings represented or connoted death per se or designated a figure as a member of a prior generation.

I actually suspect that the "head cones" were symbolically shaped objects annointed with unguents, but not primarily for unguents; I think they symbolically represented the Benben stone! They may have been annointed with perfumes, but perhaps they were the precursors to yarmulkas, and other sacred head coverings, etc. There is also tradition of annointing sacred stones in many ancient cultures...

Back