• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Experiences With The Ouija Board (IHTM)

Having just finished the book 'The Trickster & The Paranormal' it really fits into society in general disliking the blurring of boundaries. Hence the reaction of "its a load of rubbish" while being nervous enough not to give it a go. Just what are you frightened of then Mr Skeptic?

People might be nervous of looking like a gullible idiot, for a start! I wouldn't do it again, not because of whether I believe in it or not but more from a feeling that I'd rather not be around people who were up for it.

I'd not try it! If there is a message from the 'unseen' realms for me then I'd rather get it direct and not have to go to the trouble of gathering a group of friends ........ 'sides I'd be worried about what may come popping up, unbidden, from my own subconscious. :hide:

Sollywos x

I know what I witnessed all those years ago and the effect it had on all involved.Whether it be spirits, demons or collective mind power, it was pretty astonishing!I get the whole mind collectively producing a spirit or energy, but for 12 teenagers to get 3 active "hits" first time with little concentration, needs major explaining. 12 teenagers have a lot of energy, granted but something paranormal took place in my experience, I am sure of that. I would even relent that in situations like the one I was in,one of the three people that had fingers on the pointer could have led the other two.But seeing the pointer move so fast that their fingers came off and it moved on it's own, can't in my mind be proved by science alone.

I have recalled my ouija experience on another thread. It was terrifying and something I'm still not comfortable talking about today. I don't think it was spirits of deceased people,but other entities pretending to be them. It's not to be meddled with, seriously no matter how experienced people are in mediumship or the like.

Can you remember where this post is?

Even from early childhood i was aware that even those adults dismissive of superstition, mumbo jumbo and irrational claims nontheless made an exception for the dangers of using the ouija board. The idea it would do harm or drive you nuts or whatever was at least implied, if not unspecified dark forces being unleashed on the foolish experimenter. And countless "true life" haunting or poltergeist accounts involve claims it started with playing with a ouija board. It always put me off. I still wouldn't risk getting one.

Yet the only time ive actually used one was about 3 years ago during a ghost vigil thing i reported on here. And you can't extrapolate from one person's experience to say anything about everyone else, but what i witnessed was very much ideomotor, active pushing, and a lot of wishful thinking. The board mispelled clear words when one particular chubby girl - whose finger i could see bent and applying pressure - was one of the participants, and complete gibberish when there was a change around and she was absent from the exercise. The messages and the direction of the narrative were filled in by the enthusiastic collective guessing of the group as to where this was going. Which formed a very silly story of tragedy and incest which made no sense whatsoever. When the heavy fingered lass was replaced the planchette still moved but the letters formed no intelligible words...leading the enthusiasts to declare the odd combination of consonants might be Welsh.

Esoterica
The Ouija Board, I think it is

Not any more ... It's been moved from the Ouija Board thread (about the board) to this thread (Ouija Experience - about experiences with the board).

The post is dated June 25th of this year, and it's currently post #58 in this thread.

Having just finished the book 'The Trickster & The Paranormal' it really fits into society in general disliking the blurring of boundaries.
Interesting comment. I have found that when I am contemplating a new idea that goes against my core beliefs, that I feel physically unwell. Some of my core beliefs have changed when I have investigated a new idea, but I definitely need the time to adjust.

I had a board when I was a teen. No one in my family were interested in it, so I did a lot on my own. I swear the planchette moved on its own, but other than yes or no, it made no sense.

Escargot not you at all. I meant the general public who dismiss it but at the same time are frightened of it.

Escargot not you at all. I meant the general public who dismiss it but at the same time are frightened of it.

Yup I know, I wasn't being stroppy. It's how I feel, a bit - not afraid of any ghosts or what have you, but not wanting to participate in other people's daftness.

Get over to Salem this weekend for the world's biggest séance on the world's biggest Ouija board:
Snarky article

Seeing as how normal Ouija boards operate on unconscious motor functions, those motor functions are going to have to be pretty conscious to move that planchette around (see pics at the link). Still, might be fun to see if they conjure anything up - unless it's a stunt, and they have it all planned in advance.

I may have this wrong, so please forgive me if it is. I’m sure that I heard/saw Danny Baker interviewed some years ago and he told a pretty hair raising story about playing with a Ouija Board with some friends as a youngster. As I remember it, a ‘spirit’ put in an appearance which excited the group no end. They began asking various questions and receiving answers with the group arguing over whether it was real and accusing one another of moving the glass. One of the group then asked the spirit to tell them what the year of mint was on a coin that he had in his pocket. The spirit give them a year and on checking the coin it was spot on. They then asked the spirit another question. However, instead of giving them an answer it said “ This is dangerous. Stop now children”!!
I may have remembered parts of this incorrectly but I’m sure that’s the gist of it!

I may have this wrong, so please forgive me if it is. I’m sure that I heard/saw Danny Baker interviewed some years ago and he told a pretty hair raising story about playing with a Ouija Board with some friends as a youngster. As I remember it, a ‘spirit’ put in an appearance which excited the group no end. They began asking various questions and receiving answers with the group arguing over whether it was real and accusing one another of moving the glass. One of the group then asked the spirit to tell them what the year of mint was on a coin that he had in his pocket. The spirit give them a year and on checking the coin it was spot on. They then asked the spirit another question. However, instead of giving them an answer it said “ This is dangerous. Stop now children”!!
I may have remembered parts of this incorrectly but I’m sure that’s the gist of it!
Yep. He tells that same story in the first volume of his autobiography. Without going back to check, I'd say you've got most of the details right. IIRC it's Baker himself who has the idea about asking for the date on the coin in his pocket.

No supernatural input required here.

Danny Baker is 62. If he was doing this Ouija board game in his teens it would be the early 70s soon after decimalisation.

The country was swamped with new coinage, all with the same date. It was years before the chance of finding a different date was the same as it would have been before decimalisation.

People noticed this and would look out for the newer dates in their change. Especially kids and teenagers who counted every penny!

Danny would know this even if he didn't consciously try to fool anyone. So nearly any coin he pulled out would have the same date.

No supernatural input required here.

Danny Baker is 62. If he was doing this Ouija board game in his teens it would be the early 70s soon after decimalisation.

The country was swamped with new coinage, all with the same date. It was years before the chance of finding a different date was the same as it would have been before decimalisation.

People noticed this and would look out for the newer dates in their change. Especially kids and teenagers who counted every penny!

Danny would know this even if he didn't consciously try to fool anyone. So nearly any coin he pulled out would have the same date.
That all sounds plausible. But he swears it was a pre-decimal coin. Turns out I cut-and-pasted the relevant passage on a different thread. Post #352 here, to be precise.

Until the early 80s five and ten pence pieces were used completely interchangeably with old one and two shilling coins . It was only when the coins were physically shrunken in size that the pre-decimals disappeared from general circulation. Even in secondary school I could regularly pull a coin out of my pocket that had George VI and Ind Imp ..emperor of India on it...and I'm a lot younger than Danny Baker.

Old pennies and sixpences and "Joey's" were still things you found around the house long after decimalisation.

Last edited:
I have been involved in a few ouija board circles or whatever you call it. The first time was when I was 12 years old. The last time I "played" I was around mid 20's. It moved every time I was a part of the circle and I was a bit skeptical but, I suppose I wanted to believe it was more than just a game.

Like I said, the last time I played I was in my mid 20's. I didn't say anything to anyone at the time and as a matter of fact, I didn't say anything to anyone for a long time but, it was me moving the planchette.

I didn't know it was me until that last time I played and I did not move it voluntarily. If anything, it was subconscious. The reason I realized it was me is because I had a bad habit of spelling the word, "believe" incorrectly and it had been pointed out that it had been spelled incorrectly by another member in the circle on more than one occasion.

did it move on it's own or with your finger on it, because on it's own is more impressive. i just think bullshite when people are touching it as any of them can be moving it.

No, it did not move on it's own. We were always touching it when it moved.

GAH! :x i've said this before and i'll say it again,
This ouija stuff is NOT a game you are potentialy contacting beings from another realm who are known to lie about who they are and prey on people to gain access to this realm.
Read up on it please people and stop toying with things you dont understand. :(

I'm with Big Slim. Forteana's fun & much of it gives me that creepy, delectable shiver, but previous experiences with Ouija have convinced me it's truly dangerous to open up a channel to whatever realm Ouija is touching. I'd sooner see Springheel Jack on a late, lonely night than touch a Ouija pointer ever again.
Don't wanna be a killjoy, but...

I'm with Big Slim. Forteana's fun & much of it gives me that creepy, delectable shiver, but previous experiences with Ouija have convinced me it's truly dangerous to open up a channel to whatever realm Ouija is touching. I'd sooner see Springheel Jack on a late, lonely night than touch a Ouija pointer ever again.
Don't wanna be a killjoy, but...

As I stated earlier, I'm not afraid of any ghosts or what have you, but not willing to participate in other people's daftness.
This is despite both having my own Ouija-related spookiness and hearing about them from people I trust.

We'd like to hear more about your experience, please, if you're up to describing it!

Thing is, as an old hand once explained to me, most experienced practitioners' go through elaborate rituals before attempting to commune with the other side, mainly to protect themselves from the Tricksters, people just start up with little protection and guess what comes through

Thing is, as an old hand once explained to me, most experienced practitioners' go through elaborate rituals before attempting to commune with the other side, mainly to protect themselves from the Tricksters, people just start up with little protection and guess what comes through
Go on! :D

Back