• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
See above. Lists and graphics not half as useful as photographs.

Boudicca's Back!

X_110645291_ebe86d9f-5c6e-41ea-80d0-99feb430d397.jpg

Image copyright CHRISTINE CLIFFORD
Image caption "It looked like the wind was blowing her hair behind her and she was off on the rampage - I thought, that's Boudicca," said the photographer​

A photograph of a cloud formation resembling the East Anglian warrior queen Boudicca has been described as "awesome", by a weather expert.

Christine Clifford spotted the "Spear-carrying Boudicca striding across the Norfolk skies" earlier this week.
It is thought to be a combination of clouds and a plane trail, and looks like a woman with long-flowing hair.
Meteorologist Fred Best from Weatherquest said: "The more you look at it you can really see the Boudicca."

Mrs Clifford was walking her dog near her home in Briggate, near North Walsham, when she "glanced up and there it was".
She felt that what she saw in the sky resembled Boudicca, the queen who led her Iceni tribe in a revolt against the Romans in East Anglia in AD61.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-51235975

Last edited by a moderator:
Disc-shaped clouds appear in sky – before 'multiplying'

Bizarre footage of two mysterious large ring-shaped clouds appearing in the sky above a Russian city has baffled the internet.

Video has emerged showing the two disc-like clouds floating before a third suddenly becomes visible.

X-1_CEN-IrkutskSky-04.jpg

Towards the end of the footage, a plane is seen heading towards the sky rings and pierces the first circle.

Local media said a fourth ring appeared shortly afterwards.

The incident was filmed in the city of Irkutsk in the southern Russian region of Irkutsk Oblast by numerous local residents.

Video at link:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/bizarre-moment-two-disc-shaped-21428429

maximus otter

Last edited by a moderator:
Disc-shaped clouds appear in sky – before 'multiplying'

Bizarre footage of two mysterious large ring-shaped clouds appearing in the sky above a Russian city has baffled the internet.

Video has emerged showing the two disc-like clouds floating before a third suddenly becomes visible.

1_CEN-IrkutskSky-04.jpg

Towards the end of the footage, a plane is seen heading towards the sky rings and pierces the first circle.

Local media said a fourth ring appeared shortly afterwards.

The incident was filmed in the city of Irkutsk in the southern Russian region of Irkutsk Oblast by numerous local residents.

Video at link:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/bizarre-moment-two-disc-shaped-21428429

maximus otter

Someone's been using an orgone accumulator!

(6)Cirrus Kelvin-Helmholtz
Appearing as a slender, horizontal spiral of cloud, cirrus Kelvin-Helmholtz is one of the most distinctive cloud formations. However, it tends to dissipate only a minute or two after forming and, as a result, is rarely observed.Average height is around 16,500 ft.

A mountaintop observatory in New Hampshire captured a notably dramatic image of a Kelvin-Helmholtz cloud.

ERivo49WkAIV0b7.jpeg

Mountaintop camera captures images showcasing unusual sight in the sky

The Mount Washington Observatory posted a photo to Twitter early Monday morning that showcased an unusual cloud phenomenon: a Kelvin-Helmholtz wave cloud.

KH-lenticulars, or Kelvin-Helmholtz, were named after Hermann von Helmholtz and William Thomson, who was better known as Lord Kelvin, the two scientists who discovered the atmospheric instability that leads to this phenomenon. ...

The image is a rarity as Kelvin-Helmholtz clouds usually do not last long in the sky and therefore are difficult to document, according to AccuWeather Meteorologist Jesse Ferrell.

He further explained that they occur in unstable atmospheric conditions when air varies in density due to different temperatures. ...

The cloud formations can also cause trouble for pilots in the sky.

"Changes in wind speed vertically in the atmosphere (called wind shear) can indicate turbulence for airplanes," he said, "although the KH wave clouds are just giving form to an atmospheric wave that is also present in 'clear air turbulence.'"

These waves in the sky are formed similarly to ocean waves, with high winds blowing over the water, "sculpting the flat water into wave formations," Ferrell said. ...

Some experts believe that the famous "Starry Night" painting by Vincent Van Gogh was inspired by KH wave clouds, but Ferrell believes it to be unlikely.

"I don't think that's likely because they aren't oriented correctly, and you wouldn't be able to see the clouds well at night," he said. "It's more likely he was just channeling fluid dynamics."
FULL STORY: https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...g-photo-of-kelvin-helmholtz-wave-cloud/688361

Bump ...

That webpage still exists, and today they've added the most 'perfect' lenticular cloud photo I think I've ever seen ...

This photo is a finalist in the Royal Meteorological Society's (RMS) 2020 Weather Photographer of the Year contest.

SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/ufo-cloud-weather-photo-contest.html

Contender:

Lenticular Clouds over Mt. Rainier, Washington State.

FAH5qEMWYAEBUCv.jpeg.jpg

Not quite as sharply defined, but colouration is amazing.

I saw some nacreous clouds one evening, but misidentified them as altostratus, so I just glanced at them for a couple of seconds. Maybe half an hour later someone showed a picture of them on the Look North TV program, so I rushed outside to get another look - but they were gone. Bah.

A year or so ago there was a comet in the northern sky that I was looking out for - I managed to see it eventually, but there were thin noctilucent clouds there as well, being a nuisance more than anything. The light illuminating these clouds comes over the pole, and sometimes includes the reflected light from the polar icecap (a phenomenon known as ice blink, or so I'm told).

Odd 'Cartoon' Cloud Spotted by Satellite Over the Caspian Sea

NASA's Earth-watching Terra satellite peered down from space on May 28 and caught sight of something unusual floating over the Caspian Sea, the world's largest inland body of water. A wild cloud appeared, and it looked like an artist had a hand in its design.

caspiansea-tmo-2022148-lrg.jpg

The NASA Earth Observatory team shared the cloud as an Image of the Day on Thursday, calling it "more peculiar than most" and saying it had "well-defined edges resembling something from a cartoon." The cloud stretched across about 60 miles (100 kilometers) at an altitude of around 5,000 feet (1,500 meters).

SRON Netherlands Institute for Space Research took a look at the goofy cloud and determined it was a small stratocumulus, a sort of hybrid between a puffy, fluffy cumulus cloud and a spread-out stratus cloud.

https://www.cnet.com/science/odd-cartoon-cloud-spotted-by-satellite-over-the-caspian-sea/

maximus otter

Part of UFO folklore is that UFOs use clouds for camouflage.

I could say I have actually seen this situation, but I have no proof.

I think of all the spectacular examples of clouds I've seen online, this is probably the most spectacular.

I really do recommend you look at this:
https://www.newsflare.com/video/512...inbow-coloured-scarf-cloud-above-chinese-city

Science:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileus_(meteorology)

Locals amazed as they spot rainbow-coloured scarf cloud above Chinese city

A multi-coloured scarf cloud was spotted above a city in southern China.

The incredible video was filmed in the city of Haikou in Hainan Province on August 21.

The scarf cloud, also known as a pileus, is formed by the cooling and condensation of moist air forced up and over the peak. When the sunlight is at the right angle, the light diffracts between the droplets and the ice crystals in the cloud, creating a rainbow colour.

The video was provided by local media with permission.

Back