• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

General Website Queries: 2018 Onward

I see all these new profile posts listed but don't understand who why how what ?

The Profile Post feature was originally intended to give members a way to publicly post status or status updates.

On this forum they've long been used to simply post random quips, quotes, etc.

"James_H, post: 1906595, member: 16735"]What's the current 'real' post count on the forum?

If you click on the post number in a thread yours was #94 for example there is a url which you can copy and the first number is the total number of posts to the forum so we’re heading towards 2 000 000. There are some caveats etc but that’s the closest you’re going to get to a correct number of posts that were submitted to the forum.

By removing the quote commands I have been able to show the details for your post.

What's the current 'real' post count on the forum?

As of the moment you posted this query, there had been 1,906,595 posts entered onto this forum since its inception in 2001.

The number displayed on the entry page reflects (to an unknown degree of accuracy) the number of posts theoretically resident in the current forum database.

Mods, are you aware that Website Issues doesn't come up in New Posts? I've been suspecting this for a while and I just checked that the 11:33 am Sunday post from Enola is not showing on my New Posts list. Is this deliberate?

Mods, are you aware that Website Issues doesn't come up in New Posts? I've been suspecting this for a while and I just checked that the 11:33 am Sunday post from Enola is not showing on my New Posts list. Is this deliberate?

I've just tested this with a 'clean' test account and I can't reproduce your error.

With that account, my last post (above this one) came in as the top result in 'NEW POSTS'.

I hate to sound tedious, but please log-out, flush your cookies and cache and then log-in once more.

I've double-checked the forum settings, and Website Issues is subject to inclusion in latest posting listings just like any other public sub-forum.

Your allusion to "New Posts" may be the key ...

One can get different listing results depending on whether you click on "What's New" (topmost link) versus "New Posts" (subsidiary link) on the header at the top of a forum webpage.

"What's New" will give you a dump of all the latest posting activity (both read and unread as of the time you clicked on it).

The default state of the results returned when you click on "New Posts" is unread only. You have to subsequently click to change the filter to include threads containing posts you've already read.

If you had already read my post and were backtracking via "New Posts" before any replies accreted to that thread, it wouldn't appear in the listing unless you took the additional step of relaxing the unread-only filter.

OK will try that, thanks. Easier than cookie-flushing.

rookie error

my new posts list used to be all over the place ... but until youve worked out how those are sequenced you can be left wondering where those threads you updated went ... until someone else posts on one of them

More of an idea than a query, sorry if this has already been brought up. RE: HOW TO FIND Threads & Posts Using Their Internal (Database) IDs -- it strikes me that this could be done automatically using a xenforo extension and a bit of regex
Extension: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/post-content-find-replace.1549/
I don't speak regex but the procedure would be to keep the thread and post IDs, and replace the old URL format with the new one for all posts.

Good find - thanks!

It's certainly the case that such a global search / replace capability would make my life a helluva lot easier, but ...

There are multiple aspects to the cumulative internal links' carnage that would render this sort of strategy a piecemeal remedy at best and entail risks of its resulting in still-unusable or even completely lost links in one or another particular application / run.

Still, it's a good idea that should be explored further. I'm not sure this particular extension is exactly what we'd need, and there are complicating factors aplenty.

A quick Q: is the editor of FT, Dr D Sutton a member of this here message board? :)

Ok I give up. Could we please have an option after LIke and Quote and Reply that says Britocentric? I can generally figure out the slang and cultural references, but a few are total mysteries.

Ok I give up. Could we please have an option after LIke and Quote and Reply that says Britocentric? I can generally figure out the slang and cultural references, but a few are total mysteries.

What has bamboozled you lately?

I like the new look, thanks guys
I immediately detected eveything looked slightly different, on my not-very smartphone.

I tend always to just use the mobile view, via the cut-down Chrome browser, so I've no frame of reference for a before&after in respect of the full website....how different does it look?

<looks around blinking>

The mobile view I see is....paler. Yet sharper. You've changed the toner cartridge? Or upgraded to Windows 11?

Some icons look squatter, and aren't filled-in. And it all feels ......odd. Help!

Is it all just autosuggestion, imagination, illusion on my part? Or has something fundamental really been upgraded within the forum? It definitely has......

Do I now move towards the light at the back of the cupboard; up, towards the guy with a magnum in a lurex angel suit; or, downwards to the girl pushing a log in the pram? Because I'm assuming there's no going back.... :-/

Last edited:
EDIT......OMFGG, it's now possible to "Other-Than-Just-'Like'-Something"......I just did it, right now, to @Shady 's post!!!!! I have no idea what I did, but I do-ed it.

Is this like the Rapture? Will we now be given jet packs? Did somebody travel back in time and step on an internet?

What has bamboozled you lately?
Yes @Lb8535 ....give a forinstanstance, svp. We don't make things deliberately-different for Jonnie Foreigner, here in the Untied Kondom: it's all just a natural process of subtle layered cultural references, arcane allusions and inexpert use of colour seperation overlays in the long shots <dodges the giant foot from above>

Last edited:
Cartoon of strange specific guy in moustache shooting at target that says 100,000. And others.

The update converted all avatars to a circular display motif.

This resulted in some avatars being oddly cropped.

The former (full; rectangular) motif has now been re-implemented.

The update
Validation of my fevered conjecture. I missed the memo. Do we now get double Greenshield stamps?

converted all avatars to a circular display motif.
I did witness the brief discworld phase- it was odd.

The former (full; rectangular) motif has now been re-implemented.
We're all back to being squares. Thank goodness.

There may well have been tax benefits and carbon footprint reductions in applying the evident forum upgrade/sidegrade, but is there anything major we need to know? Presumably it still runs on AA cells and needs to be watered only after sundown?

...There may well have been tax benefits and carbon footprint reductions in applying the evident forum upgrade/sidegrade, but is there anything major we need to know? ...

There were a number of server updates / upgrades, plus an upgrade to the forum software. Some styling features were changed (e.g., the avatar cropping motif mentioned earlier). By and large it was behind-the-scenes / under-the-hood stuff with little or no visible change.

You may have noticed the change in reporting and portraying Likes, which are now treated as a subset of something called Reactions. If you hover over the Like link you'll get a pop-up set of Reactions. I don't know what happens if you select any of them other than Like.

Seems to have prevented access via Mac-Safari of my vintage. Just a distorted graphic appears. ...

Are you talking about the forum as a whole, or some specific feature? :dunno:

Back