• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

More Vivid Dreaming During The COVID-19 Pandemic

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell with yesterday's knickers
Is this happening to anyone else?

It must be something to do with living in a state of heightened crisis awareness, maybe extra adrenaline in my system, but for the last couple of weeks I've been having dreams that are far more vivid than usual. When I wake up I'm often gasping and it takes a few seconds for the visuals to recede into a sensible background.

Last night it was a half naked man in a wheelchair, wearing a blanket. The night before it was two women speaking French.

Almost lucid-dreaming standard of clarity! I'm not sure I like this...

Yes. Really vivid and also the dream places are linking up. I've definetly been to these dream places before in other dreams.
There are four places I have repeatedly dreamt of for most of my life. These place seem so real to me maybe I saw them as a child. The images of these places often just pop into my head during the day as well.
They are so vivid I can hear the traffic going along he road in my head in two of them.

I rarely remember my dreams, but a couple of days ago I fell asleep in the afternoon with Molly the cat, when a dream made me laugh out load and woke me and the cat up, as soon as I was awake the dream was gone but I sat there for a few minuets trying to remember it with a smile still on my face, but it wouldn't come back, never done that before.

Last week I dreamt an attractive Chinese woman wanted to speak with me, and asked me to stick around outside an office (?) and wait for her so we could discuss whatever was on her mind. She never returned. This developed into one of my usual wandering around aimlessly dreams, but the feeling of missing out on something important was still with me hours after I'd woken up. Maybe interesting times = interesting dreams?

Is this happening to anyone else?

It must be something to do with living in a state of heightened crisis awareness, maybe extra adrenaline in my system, but for the last couple of weeks I've been having dreams that are far more vivid than usual. When I wake up I'm often gasping and it takes a few seconds for the visuals to recede into a sensible background.

Last night it was a half naked man in a wheelchair, wearing a blanket. The night before it was two women speaking French.

Almost lucid-dreaming standard of clarity! I'm not sure I like this...
Wait til you get the fever dreams... I had one where I thought my feet were on fire and woke up screaming...

Yes. Really vivid and also the dream places are linking up. I've definetly been to these dream places before in other dreams.
Yes, that's true for me too. There are a number of different dream 'landscapes' I have visited on multiple occasions. In the dreams I seem to be aware of previous dreams and have the sense of coming back to a place I love.

Some years ago one of the dream landscapes was a beautiful, complex adobe structure, a pueblo community. Built into a cliff, a warren of inviting units, all of them cozy homes. It seems I always saw it in the setting sun, when the colors were golden and rosy. Sounds crazy, but I miss that place. Haven't dreamt of it in a while.

I don't seem to be able to direct myself back to a given landscape, so they're not lucid in that sense. I'd love to be able to control that!

My dreams have recently stopped completely which is unusual for me. Instead I wake up with a feeling of unease or dread and have to think hard to remember what's going on.
Same here, it's very strange and i haven't had a lucid dream for months.. I suppose the service has been suspended until further notice..

Same here, it's very strange and i haven't had a lucid dream for months.. I suppose the service has been suspended until further notice..

Can't get the staff.

Ghost in the Machine, I hope you aren't currently experiencing such a fever!
LOL that was on and off all day three weeks ago. Just got post viral bronchitis and my asthma is back with a vengeance but no more toasty feet. I rang 111 but three weeks ago they were still telling you to piss off if you hadn't been to Wuhan.

I was having a very uncomfortable dream last night about hooking up with a random guy, even though I knew I'm married and shouldn't be doing it!
I've been watching Robin of Sherwood compulsively as distraction and also in the hope of one of those dreams but no joy.

ETA: Michael Praed incarnation, I mean. Not Jason Connery, obviously.

Last edited:
Not so much vivid but a lot of dream content i'd previously feel certain i've never knowingly had before. Flying is a new one to me, despite its supposedly universal nature. Faces ive no recollection of encountering in the real world have featured a few times lately, which again i'd have sworn never happens to me. Last night the latter was combined with something that again seems new in my dreams...death. Not mine, but a stranger.

There were a number of scenes in which hospital beds and quack doctors featured in the plot, and the origin of that is presumably the current situation in the world, though im in waking life not particularly fixated on it let alone personally concerned. But amongst this a striking and unusual scene. I'm in a hotel lobby of sorts, or at least a foreign location (possibly poland) with the rooms in this venue being somehow linked, musically, to different nations or nationalities. Anyway seemingly out of nowhere as im walking through this central lobby a tall, older, possibly grey haired man with a longish face - not one that rings any waking bells - as he's about to walk in front of me collapses, straight down, to the floor. Instinctively you assume its from illness. But at impact his head is turned to one side and his eyes remain open. A woman standing nearby confirms my own thought - his neck is broken. Ie he's dead. I ask what the number for the emergency services is here - 911 - but keep mistyping. Next thing i know i look up and the man is on a stretcher in a handily adjacent nurses station. The nurse (again like the victim and hte woman who observed his neck was broken) is not anyone from my real life. She confirms he's dead and says something along the lines of it being more evidence of an old problem.

LOL that was on and off all day three weeks ago. Just got post viral bronchitis and my asthma is back with a vengeance but no more toasty feet. I rang 111 but three weeks ago they were still telling you to piss off if you hadn't been to Wuhan.
I thought you were maybe taking my 'signature' (below) literally !

Anyone else finding they are having more regular or more vivid dreams?

I've seen a few people mention on various platforms and it made me think, yes, that is true for me.

I only remember a few of them now but I had one night where I had three dreams, all basically the same - something malevolent trying to get into the house. Last one was a tiger. Message behind that one seems fairly obvious...

Been going to sleep much earlier and getting - normally - a good eight hours. Maybe that is contributing to more dreams. Or maybe just less going on in life means you have more time in the morning to ponder your dreams so they seem more memorable.

I've been watching Robin of Sherwood compulsively as distraction and also in the hope of one of those dreams but no joy.

ETA: Michael Praed incarnation, I mean. Not Jason Connery, obviously.
Peter Williams who played Much was a neighbour of one of my friends at school. I was invited to a Halloween party at his house and he looked after us kids and cooked us all jacket potatoes in the garden. A really nice guy (the whole family was), btw this was before Robin of Sherwood so it was a shock to see him on tv.

I've had some extremely unpleasant dreams over the last few days. Including a recurring one where strangers try to push me under a train. I don't normally remember dreams, and these are an unwelcome further contribution to the current stress.

Anyone else finding they are having more regular or more vivid dreams?

I've seen a few people mention on various platforms and it made me think, yes, that is true for me.

I only remember a few of them now but I had one night where I had three dreams, all basically the same - something malevolent trying to get into the house. Last one was a tiger. Message behind that one seems fairly obvious...

Been going to sleep much earlier and getting - normally - a good eight hours. Maybe that is contributing to more dreams. Or maybe just less going on in life means you have more time in the morning to ponder your dreams so they seem more memorable.
Might be due to worry or stress over the pandemic. The tiger is the virus, symbolically portrayed.

Been going to sleep much earlier and getting - normally - a good eight hours. ...

This has a lot to do with experiencing more vivid and memorable dreams.

Dreaming occurs during REM sleep. With each sleep cycle the period of REM sleep gets more intense and longer. Therefore, the more cycles you undergo the more dreaming (and deeper dreaming) you experience.

Conversely ... With each subsequent cycle your body takes less time and resources to do its maintenance activities, this somatic maintenance is progressively more complete, and you are better able to wake without grogginess or physical fatigue.

I’ve always linked vivid dreams to sleepwalking. I have posted on this forum a couple of sleep walking episodes that I have had in recent months.

I used to sleepwalk quite often when younger, but have mostly grown out of it now, but I do suffer from vivid dreams when I’m feeling under the weather for some reason.

One vivid dream I often get is very odd.

I dream I am my 5 year old father cowering in a cupboard under the stairs, during the Blitz in Wartime London. It always ends the same way - I hear the screech of a bomb coming closer and closer, then it all goes black, and I wake up terrified. It then takes me a while to get over the dream enough for me to get back to sleep. Strange thing to keep on dreaming about.

It hasn’t happened to Mrs DT (yet) and perhaps she wouldn’t be Mrs DT if it did, but many years ago with a previous girlfriend I would act out my dreams in my sleep.

Initially she found it amusing as I ran around the bedroom shouting on me head on me head at 3am if I was dreaming about playing football -she didn’t find it very amusing however, when once I dreamed I was participating in a boxing bout.
I had to stand in front of her father two days later, and explain why his daughter had a discoloured eye and a fat lip.:deny:

Peter Williams who played Much was a neighbour of one of my friends at school. I was invited to a Halloween party at his house and he looked after us kids and cooked us all jacket potatoes in the garden. A really nice guy (the whole family was), btw this was before Robin of Sherwood so it was a shock to see him on tv.

What a lovely thing to hear about Mr Wiliams. He sounds like a gent!

The most vivid dreams I had ( which I remembered and happened several times, not common for me ) started just after my father died, in the dream I was driving past where he lived ( which would have been difficult as he lived in a cul de sac ) and saw him in the garden, my first reaction was to be very happy that he was still alive, then I realised he was lying about being dead because he didn't want to see me anymore. Each time I had it the dream was exactly the same and I had no previous memory of it until I woke up, it felt new each time. I'm glad I've not had it for years, just thinking about it is making me sad.

Had a bloody horrible one this morning, like a combo of a hell-on-earth with theme park disaster ride. I literally felt intense pain from being (dream) severely burned. Bastard brain....

Normally, when my life is stressful my dreams get calmer (and vice-versa). I shouldn't have read up last night on various types of eschatology. I am now off to read about fluffy pink fairies and marshmallow pies :)

After a long stretch of no dream recall, they started back up again recently. My deceased parents dropped in to tell me they were having another baby (!?) and I looked with much aggravation in my closet for baby clothes to give them. Another recent one involved a large gathering of people at an airport or some other type of weird terminal. At least I have more to add to the dream journal.

Back