• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

When I see there's a new post on this thread I click and the new post comes up briefly, then a the page scrolls up to the top of the big long list a few posts previous.

Same here. I think it happens on any page with one massively long post, such as the list of links above.

Same here. I think it happens on any page with one massively long post, such as the list of links above.

It's been sorted now, or I thought it had. Works for me anyway.

It's been sorted now, or I thought it had. Works for me anyway.

I'm sure you're right, but we've started a fresh page now! I used to get the same problem back in the olden days, when enormous pictures in posts used to mess up the formatting.

I'm sure you're right, but we've started a fresh page now! I used to get the same problem back in the olden days, when enormous pictures in posts used to mess up the formatting.

The disruptive list has been spoilered now which is what I thought had done the trick. We need to try it out by quoting a post on there.

Oooh, it's like splitting the atom! :hahazebs:

I agree completely. It always puzzles me why many witnesses on Reddit and elsewhere, when describing a fairly innocuous glitch, will go on about how freaked out they are and can't sleep etc. It's this "normal" world that's the scary one, that's for sure!
Even the notorious serial killer John Wayne Gacey said something about ghosts to the effect that 'It's not the dead you have to fear, it's the living!'
He should know. :mad:

Same! It's really frustrating isn't it, I don't have this problem with other threads.

Replying to this as a way of finding out if the link works properly. I'm told it might still be wonky.

I suppose it's a very large country with quite a dense urban population and not a great support system for those with no money. Yet with plenty of space to go 'off grid' or to disappear into if you are of nefarious intent, making it harder to catch up with those who transgress.

Life can be tough if you fall through the holes.
Honestly, I think part of the issue over here is that urban areas are NOT densely populated. The overwhelming majority of the population now live in urban areas—really, they're mostly sprawling suburban style housing, empty spaces and commercial areas with vast parking lots, collectively known as "metropolitan whatisville," where everyone is dependent (and isolated) in cars. Paradoxically, we have isolation that allows proximity to others, if that makes sense. Plus, more than 95% of the actual area is considered rural, so yes, as you said, LOTS of space to go off grid.

I wasn't implying Americans were "bad" or any more "bad" than anyone, simply that their country is atypical and fucked up by First World standards.
I didn't take it that you meant Americans were bad. I think my post was rather confused, actually. Like the rest of the assertions made over here lately. I certainly hope our recent behavior turns out the be atypical!

When I see there's a new post on this thread I click and the new post comes up briefly, then the page scrolls up to the top of the big long list a few posts previous.

This is still happening, new posts/page notwithstanding. The list doesn't come up but the link doesn't go to the right place.

This is still happening, new posts/page notwithstanding. The list doesn't come up but the link doesn't go to the right place.
That's kinda random for me. Sometimes I go to the right post, sometimes, it's a page or two back, sometimes I go to the first page. Never did figure that out, meself.

But also, for anyone who doesn't want to sleep tonight, here's another good 'un from Reddit:

For anyone who uses Instagram, there are a couple of accounts that feature random IHTM type stories from reddit (@darkthemereddit and @bedtimereddit). Must admit I don't love Instagram myself but for anyone who's on there it may be worthwhile having a look!

For anyone who uses Instagram, there are a couple of accounts that feature random IHTM type stories from reddit (@darkthemereddit and @bedtimereddit). Must admit I don't love Instagram myself but for anyone who's on there it may be worthwhile having a look!

Looks good but the white on black would do my eyes in.

I know this person had a whole list of his dreams and obsessions. It was great. If anyone can find it ...

When I was 15 there was a cone of light emitting from a mountain near our house. I playfully called the light “Giant” with a hard G. I used to talk to it, much as one would talk to a dog. I can’t recall how this came about, but I discovered that Giant granted prayers of a particular sort. I could ask for anyone I wanted to show up the next weekend at the Hollyburn Skating club. It always worked. I decided to give it a tougher test and ask Ann M. to show up. She did not belong to the club. Lo and behold she showed up, a guest of someone else.

Giant did not talk, but his presence was warm and comforting.

This was just too strange. I told by friends Hughie and Robbie about this and invited them to meet Giant. They humoured me. I pointed him out. They said there was nothing there. There was no cone of light. I felt mightily embarrassed, and put the matter out of my mind.

The cone may have had some quite ordinary explanation, but just too faint for my friends to see. It might have been an artifact of my glasses. The appearances might have been probable anyway. However, it remains a slight anomaly I don’t feel fully comfortable dismissing.

Richard asks: Why did you leave your faith? | Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science

I'll put it here. It's from a statistics book, but it could be creepypasta.
Bayesian Statistics the Fun Way: Understanding Statistics and Probability with Star Wars, Lego, and Rubber Ducks by Will Kurt | Goodreads

data.jpg

I've recently found another Instagram account like this, it's called @redditafterdark and there are a lot of old posts to read through and get lost in. :)

Makes me reflect on those who claim we aren't seeing ghosts etc anymore and that it's all down to mobile phone networks blah blah. Here is one example from 2004:

https://www.theguardian.com/g2/story/0,3604,1238030,00.html

"Nessie's turned into a real recluse. The men from Mars no longer pay us flying visits. And the spooks have been spooked. Why have all the sightings dried up? Sean Thomas investigates the mysterious death of the paranormal"

All tosh, it's simply the way people now report their experiences that has changed. Let's hope Sean Thomas now spends some time on this forum and Reddit ;)

Thread on Mumsnet here: https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_b...he-weirdest-spookiest-thing-you-ve-experience. Mumsnet - not Reddit - is that allowed? I've just de-lurked and joined up here to post it!
Includes an 'I've just seen my younger/older self' time-slip, among other tales.

I think so, thank you for posting and welcome to the board!

There is this thread:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/ihtm-a-likes.25666/

which has not seen action in a long while, it might worth stickying this mods or creating an all purpose "off board, it happened to me" type thread?

Thread on Mumsnet here: https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_b...he-weirdest-spookiest-thing-you-ve-experience. Mumsnet - not Reddit - is that allowed? I've just de-lurked and joined up here to post it!
Includes an 'I've just seen my younger/older self' time-slip, among other tales.
Thanks for this, I've spotted various stories on Mumsnet before, a good source. In fact many sites, no matter what their ostensible aims, often have this kind of thread going on somewhere -- Digital Spy is a good example.

I used to be a member of Mumsnet and cross-posted stories. I've since come off it (it was becoming a HUGE time suck) so I'm missing these threads badly! But I've found, as Carl Grove says above, that most forums, even ones you would never think, have a thread somewhere about Strange Happenings. Fishing sites, Caravanners, all sorts of people like to have somewhere to report their weird and wonderful inexplicable things.

Hm. Just been reading the Mumsnet thread and got to the one where the shower radio comes on playing Dad's 'favourite song', Lynrd Skynrds's The Boys Are Back in Town.

Yeah. You'd think the dead would know the difference between Lynrd Skynrd and Thin Lizzie, wouldn't you.

Hm. Just been reading the Mumsnet thread and got to the one where the shower radio comes on playing Dad's 'favourite song', Lynrd Skynrds's The Boys Are Back in Town.

Yeah. You'd think the dead would know the difference between Lynrd Skynrd and Thin Lizzie, wouldn't you.

Maybe the experiencer entered a parallel dimension where Skynyrd wrote The Boys Are Back in Town.

Back