• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I can't claim any credit for the phrase 'pale, male and stale' . It isn't my creation. It's an expression I've heard quite a lot in recent years by some people to suggest that older white men are more likely to be in privileged positions. Therefore (in relation to casting someone as the Doctor) choosing someone who isn't all of those things (for example, Jodie isn't male and she isn't particularly old) is deemed by some as a progressive choice (as the Doctor has customarily been played by (mostly) older white men). I am not sa
"I can't claim any credit for the phrase 'pale, male and stale' . It isn't my creation"

I should hope not!
Combining racism, sexism and ageism in one statement isn't anything to be proud of.

It’s the ‘pale’ part of the saying that makes me a bit uncomfortable. Making a derogatory reference to the colour of someone’s skin … shouldn’t we have moved beyond that by now?

The discussion of Woke matters stops here and now.

Mods are dealing with this again and we do not appreciate they opportunity. Someone reporting what they heard is not an invitation for others to break the guidelines. If there is a problem then report it - and don't then start trying to make a non-issue into a space to have the Woke discussion.

Frideswide

My apologies too. I didn't intend to start anything like that.

Has anyone heard the new Eccleston audio dramas? Are they any good?

I think Jo Martin did an excellent job playing the once and/or future Doctor.

It's not about wokeness / diversity / whitewashing / blackface it's about whether the actor and the scripts that service them are up to par. Given these two conditions I don't care if they find a purple midget to do it. If they're believable, they're the Doctor.
Already been cast...
giphy-37.gif

Just a cheap and nasty knock off of Deep Space Nine (the best Star Trek series!)
The best Star Trek series - apart from The Next Generation and The Original Series of course!
(Was certainly better than Voyager, Discovery and Enterprise though).

DS9 and Bab5 are at the top of my list.

Just a cheap and nasty knock off of Deep Space Nine (the best Star Trek series!)
AND I USED TOO LIKE YOU! And I think deep space nine was a sneaky copy of Babylon 5 if rumours are too be believed.

Except that J. Michael Straczynski gave a detailed pitch for Babylon 5 to Paramount Television (makers of Star Trek) in 1989, Babylon 5 was announced first by Warners, and they launched within a about three weeks of each other...

Russell T Davies to return as showrunner.

Rather an underwhelming choice IMHO.
Yes, he did a good job in getting it revived, but if you watch some of the episodes made under his watch now, there's a significant cringe factor...

Yes, he did a good job in getting it revived, but if you watch some of the episodes made under his watch now, there's a significant cringe factor...

Aliens of London and World War Three come readily to mind, there. Source for this?

Whilst I've not watched "It's a Sin" which was very well reviewed, I did attempt to watch "Years and Years", and just found it to be a bland, if glossy and well funded, sixth form drama, where the biggest insight was "Capitalism is bad, mmmkay".

Best news for a long time. I am skipping about here! His take on the show was always watchable and fun. Much as I loved many of the characters he created, I hope he resists the temptation to resurrect too many of those creations. But a few would be good to see again.

Basically, I can't stop smiling!!

It feels a little to me like the Beeb want a safe pair of hands to get the show's popularity back up to where it was.

I'll be very interested to see how he approaches his second stint on the show.

Love RTD. My only issue with him is that he's very very very good at establishing a plot and situation, but (IMHO) not so great at wrapping it up. He'll establish something really cool and scary but then has to rush to resolve it with some handwaving and a bit of fudging of the storyline. But he's great at writing character and genuinely seems to 'get' that the Doctor is an actual alien.

I never expected RTD to come back, great news!

I agree that there are some cringy moments in his era, but he definitely gets The Doctor in a way that not many writers do, and he's written some great stories in the past (some of my all time Who favourites, in fact), so I'm excited to see what'll be coming next.

Well that was unexpected... and welcone news I think. The first time a producer has returned to DW I think... It will be fascinating to see what he does. Hemos revived DW once and willbeforfully do so again. Despite sone reservations about his tenure he does seem to have more of a cohesive vision than Moffat or Chibnall and hopefully he'll reimagine the show as he did before. If he did a few stories like Century Falls - or even Dark Season, that would be something. Really introduce a sense of mystery back into the show again.

Back