• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Possible Parallel Lives / Alternative Reality?

PriestessOfAvalon

Fresh Blood
I'm British (and dark haired, relevant later), but I've always felt drawn to Australia even though I've never been there and don't know any Aussies. From the age of 18, for approximately 4 years, I went through a period of having visions of me living an alternate life in Australia. I can't remember all of them now (as they finished in around 2005) but I remember a couple.

The first time I was about 18. I was walking my dogs through a local forest and started jogging. Suddenly and powerfully, like being struck by lightning, I got this incredibly intense and vivid image of myself as a blonde Australian girl jogging/running through some type of Australian wilderness. Weirdly, I had two perspectives at the same time. I had the perspective of actually being this Australian girl, seeing through her eyes and feeling her emotions, and I had a third party perspective where I was watching her at the same time. I could feel her emotions and they were wonderful. In real life I've struggled with depression, hopelessness and bleakness most of my life (that's my permanent "background noise", if you will), but this girl had none of that. Her background noise was hope, excitement and joy at being alive. I also very strongly got the sense that the Australian girl at that moment of jogging was in the 80s, I felt most likely 1987, whereas for me that walking through the woods was around 2002.

Another instance I remember was when I was around 21. I was with some friends, including my boyfriend at the time, and one was playing electric guitar while listening to it through headphones attached to the amp. He handed the headphones to my boyfriend who put them on and suddenly I had another intense vision. It was of the two of us as Australians, in a very small plane that my boyfriend was about to pilot. He was putting on the pilot headphones and again I felt that that was happening in the 80s, although for me it was about 2004/2005.

These visions always seemed to happen whenever I was doing something similar to something the Aussie Me had done. As if me doing things she'd done, or seeing things she'd seen, triggered something that briefly connected her experience to my similar experience, in my mind.

It's been so long I don't remember any other instances as I didn't write any of them down but these two in particular made such a strong impression on me that I still remember them. At first I wondered if they were visions of a past life but I had to quickly discount that idea, as I felt the Australian visions were from the late 80s and in this life I was born in 1983. Then I wondered, maybe a parallel life?

I never told anyone about these visions as I didn't want to sound crazy or like an idiot, and then some time after the visions stopped, my mum told me something I'd never known. She said that when she was a child (around the late 1950s/early 1960s), her parents decided to relocate to New Zealand. It was all organised, they had their tickets and everything. But at the last minute, my great grandfather talked them out of it as he didn't want them to go. So they cancelled everything and stayed in the UK. This made me wonder if some alternate reality branched off from that decision. I wondered if in that reality, they moved to NZ, and eventually on to Australia. My mum might have met a blonde Australian man and I might haven been a blonde Australian girl. In this reality my mum was 35 years old when she had me in 1983. if her life had been different she could easily have given birth to me at the age of around 21 instead, then the timelines would match up with my visions and I'd have been around 18 in 1987.

I wonder if this is a parallel life, are she and I meant to be experiencing two different ends of the happiness spectrum? I'm living depression and hopelessness, poverty and ill health and she's living joy and abundance and great health. Maybe I'm just bonkers but I honestly do feel cheated out of the Australian life that should have been mine. Has anyone else ever had anything like this?

Last edited:
I'm British (and dark haired, relevant later), but I've always felt drawn to Australia even though I've never been there and don't know any Aussies. From the age of 18, for approximately 4 years, I went through a period of having visions of me living an alternate life in Australia. I can't remember all of them now (as they finished in around 2005) but I remember a couple.

The first time I was about 18. I was walking my dogs through a local forest and started jogging. Suddenly and powerfully, like being struck by lightning, I got this incredibly intense and vivid image of myself as a blonde Australian girl jogging/running through some type of Australian wilderness. Weirdly, I had two perspectives at the same time. I had the perspective of actually being this Australian girl, seeing through her eyes and feeling her emotions, and I had a third party perspective where I was watching her at the same time. I could feel her emotions and they were wonderful. In real life I've struggled with depression, hopelessness and bleakness most of my life (that's my permanent "background noise", if you will), but this girl had none of that. Her background noise was hope, excitement and joy at being alive. I also very strongly got the sense that the Australian girl at that moment of jogging was in the 80s, I felt most likely 1987, whereas for me that walking through the woods was around 2002.

Another instance I remember was when I was around 21. I was with some friends, including my boyfriend at the time, and one was playing electric guitar while listening to it through headphones attached to the amp. He handed the headphones to my boyfriend who put them on and suddenly I had another intense vision. It was of the two of us as Australians, in a very small plane that my boyfriend was about to pilot. He was putting on the pilot headphones and again I felt that that was happening in the 80s, although for me it was about 2004/2005.

These visions always seemed to happen whenever I was doing something similar to something the Aussie Me had done. As if me doing things she'd done, or seeing things she'd seen, triggered something that briefly connected her experience to my similar experience, in my mind.

It's been so long I don't remember any other instances as I didn't write any of them down but these two in particular made such a strong impression on me that I still remember them. At first I wondered if they were visions of a past life but I had to quickly discount that idea, as I felt the Australian visions were from the late 80s and in this life I was born in 1983. Then I wondered, maybe a parallel life?

I never told anyone about these visions as I didn't want to sound crazy or like an idiot, and then some time after the visions stopped, my mum told me something I'd never known. She said that when she was a child (around the late 1950s/early 1960s), her parents decided to relocate to New Zealand. It was all organised, they had their tickets and everything. But at the last minute, my great grandfather talked them out of it as he didn't want them to go. So they cancelled everything and stayed in the UK. This made me wonder if some alternate reality branched off from that decision. I wondered if in that reality, they moved to NZ, and eventually on to Australia. My mum might have met a blonde Australian man and I might haven been a blonde Australian girl. In this reality my mum was 35 years old when she had me in 1983. if her life had been different she could easily have given birth to me at the age of around 21 instead, then the timelines would match up with my visions and I'd have been around 18 in 1987.

I wonder if this is a parallel life, are she and I meant to be experiencing two different ends of the happiness spectrum? I'm living depression and hopelessness, poverty and ill health and she's living joy and abundance and great health. Maybe I'm just bonkers but I honestly do feel cheated out of the Australian life that should have been mine. Has anyone else ever had anything like this?
Welcome to the group, a very interesting account, I hope things turn around for you, this place is great for friendship and support, should you want it :bpals:

Welcome to the group, a very interesting account, I hope things turn around for you, this place is great for friendship and support, should you want it :bpals:
I can vouch for that I’ve found the group to be incredibly supportive and accepting. I’m wondering if you should write about the girl in Australia, what name might she have, where might she live, partner? Job? And really explore the joy and happiness and connect with her.

The only thing like this that I can relate to is that there is a place called Battle near Hastings in East Sussex UK. It is where the Battle took place (believe it or not). I was raised in Hastings and I have always been drawn to the little town of Battle from around 17 til the present (52). I just feel that I’ve lived there before and have lived a simple life where I used herbs and ‘spells’ to help the locals. I feel I lived there hundreds of years ago in a small cottage. I have been there countless times and never found THE place. I just get there and think ‘I’ve come home’.
In 1995 I met my husband there (still very happily married) and that seemed to be confirmation that that was where I felt at home. I live in Cornwall now and have so many roots down that I would never relocate again, but every time we go back to Hastings to see friends and family I go back to Battle for a visit. When I leave, I feel I leave a piece of me there til the next visit.

@PriestessOfAvalon thank you for your account. Very interesting.

About the feeling cheated - if you do feel that then you do. Your feelings are valid. But (you could tell there was a but coming huh? ;) ) there's a bit in a Terry Pratchett when her childhood sweetheart says "wouldn't it have been wonderful?". They had both gone off to do Magic.

Her response is that one only ever thinks about the good alternatives. Not Leukemia at3015, a house fire that maims your children, a transport crash that kills your partner and leaves you needing 24 hour care.

OK, that's extreme. Find a middle ground! :oldm:

yes I certainly could do with some. I'm having treatment for thyroid cancer, i recently had a stroke which left me partially blind and they just stopped my PIP payments, leaving me almost penniless. Life's not great right now. The only thing that keeps me going is the thought that maybe I chose to experience this life for some reason.

I can vouch for that I’ve found the group to be incredibly supportive and accepting. I’m wondering if you should write about the girl in Australia, what name might she have, where might she live, partner? Job? And really explore the joy and happiness and connect with her.
Thats a good idea, but I don't know anything about her. I don't know her name, job or anything or even if she's still alive after all this time. All I know of her are the brief visions I had of her doing things and the feeling that she was really happy and really enjoyed her life.

@PriestessOfAvalon thank you for your account. Very interesting.

About the feeling cheated - if you do feel that then you do. Your feelings are valid. But (you could tell there was a but coming huh? ;) ) there's a bit in a Terry Pratchett when her childhood sweetheart says "wouldn't it have been wonderful?". They had both gone off to do Magic.

Her response is that one only ever thinks about the good alternatives. Not Leukemia at3015, a house fire that maims your children, a transport crash that kills your partner and leaves you needing 24 hour care.

OK, that's extreme. Find a middle ground! :oldm:
That's a good point but I've never been shown any worse alternatives. The only alternate life I've been shown was the amazingly happy Australian one. I suppose I could think about what life would have been like in a Siberian gulag but that just makes me feel even more miserable.

Welcome @PriestessOfAvalon . I'm sorry to hear what you're going through, and hope Life turns around for you quickly.

Strangely enough, the In-House GP has a running gag with me that "he's not new", mostly when he tries to persuade me that he was Elvis in a previous life, and when I point out that he was born 8 years before Elvis died, he just shakes his head and tells me I don't understand how it works. Perhaps your experience suggests he's not having me on after all?

Welcome @PriestessOfAvalon . I'm sorry to hear what you're going through, and hope Life turns around for you quickly.

Strangely enough, the In-House GP has a running gag with me that "he's not new", mostly when he tries to persuade me that he was Elvis in a previous life, and when I point out that he was born 8 years before Elvis died, he just shakes his head and tells me I don't understand how it works. Perhaps your experience suggests he's not having me on after all?
It certainly does seem to me like people can be living two lives at the same time. But I do find it a bit unlikely when people insist they were someone really famous. Who knows though?

Elvis may be getting on but he ain’t dead yet :)

@PriestessOfAvalon, whether your visions are in some sense "true" or not, I hope they can provide some comfort in these trying times. While my life is not exactly rosy these days, I am also slowly recovering from harder times.

As Frideswide said, there are worse alternate lives you could have had. The fact that you haven't been shown them is probably a good thing; why think negative thoughts right now.

and when I point out that he was born 8 years before Elvis died, he just shakes his head and tells me I don't understand how it works.
I tend to believe that if reincarnation is real, it's not bound by time, which, after all, is a property of this universe and not of the eternal totality of existence. Therefore Elvis can have overlapping lives.

I know all 3 countries very well having lived in all 3.

Life is essentially the same wherever you live. Would your life have been better in Australia? Possibly, and then again possibly not.

What I'd suggest if you are feeling hopeless and depressed is to look at changing that. That is one thing that can be changed wherever you live.

Talk to friends and family. Talk to your GP. You don't have to be depressed.

I tend to believe that if reincarnation is real, it's not bound by time, which, after all, is a property of this universe and not of the eternal totality of existence. Therefore Elvis can have overlapping lives.

You mean... I will be Elvis? :omg:

I know all 3 countries very well having lived in all 3.

Life is essentially the same wherever you live. Would your life have been better in Australia? Possibly, and then again possibly not.

What I'd suggest if you are feeling hopeless and depressed is to look at changing that. That is one thing that can be changed wherever you live.

Talk to friends and family. Talk to your GP. You don't have to be depressed.
You really don't think I've already tried that? I've had multiple different antidepressants and multiple different types of therapy. None worked. The answer isn't always as simple as "Go to the GP."

PriestessofAvalon – I too have struggled with profound depression all my life, and the different antidepressants and therapies didn’t do much. My depression is a result of too many head injuries and a dysfunctional childhood. Your cause and potential solution may be different.

What I found helped was my decision to be bloody minded and not wait for anyone to tell me I was good, clever, kind, accepted, etc. I decided I would decide for myself if I was good, clever, etc. and I would make my own decisions – even in little ways like which way I would walk home from the library. I tell the world in my head to fuck off! on a regular basis. As much as possible, I stay away from unpleasant people – and tell them in my head to fuck off :) You will have to find what works for you. I have found most therapists kind and clueless.

Also, I too have had similar experiences to your parallel lives. I think there are multiple reasons why this stuff happens. Regarding your physical illnesses: since you are sick, decide in your own mind what this means and how you view both the illness and your response to it. Tell it to fuck off. It does not define you.

PriestessofAvalon – I too have struggled with profound depression all my life, and the different antidepressants and therapies didn’t do much. My depression is a result of too many head injuries and a dysfunctional childhood. Your cause and potential solution may be different.

What I found helped was my decision to be bloody minded and not wait for anyone to tell me I was good, clever, kind, accepted, etc. I decided I would decide for myself if I was good, clever, etc. and I would make my own decisions – even in little ways like which way I would walk home from the library. I tell the world in my head to fuck off! on a regular basis. As much as possible, I stay away from unpleasant people – and tell them in my head to fuck off :) You will have to find what works for you. I have found most therapists kind and clueless.

Also, I too have had similar experiences to your parallel lives. I think there are multiple reasons why this stuff happens. Regarding your physical illnesses: since you are sick, decide in your own mind what this means and how you view both the illness and your response to it. Tell it to fuck off. It does not define you.
Google 'F**k It: The Ultimate Spiritual Way' by John Parkin. There are even courses about it.

!!! I had no idea! Never heard of this book. I have now ordered it on Amazon. From the reviews, it seems similar to my fuck off reaction to reality. Thank you, Mythopoeika.
Hope it helps.
They even did a residential holiday/course for it. My friend went away and came back very relaxed and happy.
He lent me the book, but I didn't have the time to read it.

Thats a good idea, but I don't know anything about her. I don't know her name, job or anything or even if she's still alive after all this time. All I know of her are the brief visions I had of her doing things and the feeling that she was really happy and really enjoyed her life.
I suppose what I was suggesting was that maybe if you sat quietly and ‘tuned’ in to her some details might come forward, it’s a fascinating experience and maybe worth exploring more.

Back