• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pseudo-Archaeology & The Racism Behind Ancient Aliens

Ok, not being against silly ideas, can I speak in favour of original ideas??
Me, personally and not being an academic of influence but just as an 'interested' party ...

Anyone can have original ideas or concepts. This has happened over the centuries and have either been lauded or castigated.
But, to my mind, most 'original' ideas fall at the first hurdle when it's demanded that they 'think things through'.
Anyone can come up with a "Hey! But what if ..." thing. Yup, it goes against pre-conceived rules and expectations. When a hero says "it just might work" then they are saying, in effect, that "according to the rules, this has a slim chance of working but - what the Hell - what have we got to lose? If it doesn't work then we're dead!" But if that slim chance does come through, it doesn't 'prove' the slim chance is less so!

I admire any expert who says "Erm. Why don't we try this?" because they've the knowledge to explore the situation and are looking to alternatives.

But not all ideas that are original will work. Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't give it credence. That's a scientific version of the Gambler's Fallacy. If it aint been done before then experiment and try doing it. See what happens. But - and this is essential - like any gamble, don't bet with what you cannot afford to lose!

I'm on page 4 of this discussion, reading the posts first to be able to comment on some points later. But for this post, I have a tentative answer: the work by Sigmund Freud may be a good example. Nowadays, it seems (I can't be sure, I only ever got a high school diploma) that the works of Freud are still taught in universities to be deconstructed (yeah, most of the time a cigar is just a cigar). However, his basic insight that the rational mind is not in absolute control of human behavior is valid. The concepts of id, ego, and superego are useful. Some of the psychiatric conditions he described are valid and, yes, related to sexual repression.

Edit: I forgot something, it is very important. Truth or not, I decided to believe in Freudian slips because this is too funny to not be true.

I really can't think of something that could be fringiest at its inception than the works of Freud.
I'd say Freud's work was simply incomplete. But also it would, like you suggested... sometimes look for answers that aren't there. When you try to analyze the behavior of others, it's often like trying to find shapes in clouds. You simply don't know what you're looking at.

Freud's not the first person in history to make the observation that people sometimes accidentally say what they feel... Sometimes. As one person phrased it: "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks."
Ancient Aliens began life as an adaptation of Erich von Däniken's ancient astronaut books, which asked such provocative questions as “Was the black race a failure and did the extraterrestrials change the genetic code by gene surgery and then programme a white or a yellow race?”
Not that I like Daniken, but I consider this to be misconstruing what he actually said. The only real difference between the various races in his work was the order they were created. All versions of humans were seen as equally flawed(if maybe for different reasons).

If you're going to hate him at least hate him for what he actually did. :p His work had a LOT of stupidity in it!

Jason Colavito reviews von Daniken's new book.

Confessions of an Egyptologist: Lost Libraries, Vanished Labyrinths and the Astonishing Truth Under the Saqqara Pyramids

Erich von Däniken | trans. Bernard Sulzer | September 2021 | New Page Books | ISBN: 978-1-63265-191-4

Confessions of an Egyptologist is at least somewhat unusual by ancient astronaut theorist Erich von Däniken’s standards. It is framed not as his usual grab-bag of medieval, Victorian, and midcentury pseudoscience but as a discussion of an Egyptian tour guide he calls Adel H., who died in the 1997 Luxor terrorist attack near the temple of Hatshepsut. His full name, in standard English transliteration (rather than the German used in this book) was ‘Adil Hummam, and the pair had been friends since 1984. I will refer to the man in the book as Adel, however, because it is never clear how much the literary version resembles the actual man. This conceit lasts barely a page before von Däniken (henceforth EVD) winds off on a tangent, asking if Hatshepsut was the “world’s first transgender person.” He can’t write a sustained discussion of anything, even the death of his friend.

The book is composed of five chapters, and as usual with EVD’s books, the translation from the German is rather literal, and sometimes reveals the translator’s lack of familiarity with the material being translated. Some Arabic names are given in Germanic transliterated form rather than the spelling conventions used in most modern English transliteration. Agatha Christie is called a “crime writer,” for example, in a literal translation, where the more idiomatic “mystery writer” would have been the better choice. There is no Egyptologist giving a confession in the book (Adel studied Egyptology in Vienna but was not a practicing Egyptologist), and the title is a bit of misdirection in a book presenting a fantasy story that a tour guide tells. ...

https://jasoncolavito.substack.com/...very-minute?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cta

I've worked my way through this thread with interest over the last few days.

As a teenager in the 1970s, I read several of the "ancient astronaut" type books with a sort of suspended disbelief. They were presented as factual and I sort of half believed them because I was so naive that I did not think someone would deliberately present fiction as fact.

I'm now going to go on a bit of a diversion and then come back to the ancient aliens:

Racism:
I think it is inappropriate to apply modern ideas of racism to something that was a product of an earlier era.

Even today, we use "racism" to include everything on a spectrum from outdated jokes based on racial stereotypes, through to violent attacks on people from other races. We also wrongly assume that we know exactly what we mean by "race". Finally, many people tacitly assume that only white people can be racist. The truth is far more complex.

When critiquing books written decades ago, it is perhaps fairer to use a more neutral term than "racism" and consider how the writer was influenced by contemporary preconceptions based on race.

The first big mistake.
White Europeans and north Americans have historically considered themselves to be sophisticated, successful, advanced, and, in general, superior to other races.

They reached this conclusion by measuring their own status and achievements against things that are important to white European and north American society: things like democracy, Christianity, architecture, literature, classical music, style of clothing.

In short, "Anyone who has the things we value most is best, and we have the things we value most, so we're the best." A sort of circular reasoning.

If you base your assessment on these factors, then the tribal society with an unelected chieftain, which follows an animistic religion, lives in mud huts, has no system of writing, chants songs accompanied only by a drum, and wears penis gourds, is likely to be adjudged "primitive".

This could be turned around and caricatured by looking at the bad things that our society has produced and saying, "Look at how savage the natives are: they haven't even developed gunpowder, bombs, or an international slave trade."

The second big mistake that we in the white west have often made is to lose our sense of proportion and historical context. We have only had the things we value most for a short time.

A mere 1,000 years ago, Saxon Britain was primitive by modern standards.

2,000 years ago, the Romans produced architecture and plumbing which was then more or less forgotten and became "impossible" in most parts of the former empire for centuries.

Before that, the Greeks invented sophisticated philosophy and mathematics which were largely forgotten from the time of the fall of Rome through to the renaissance.

If 'we" have had these dark periods of primitive savagery following periods of sophistication and enlightenment, why should we assume that the people we now consider to be "primitive" were not once (in our terms) sophisticated and enlightened?

That is only tangentially about "race". I say that because it is not necessarily to do with colour or ethnicity, but more to do with geography: the people who occupy a given place now have lived in mud huts for centuries; how could their ancestors possibly have built elaborate finely engineered structures? Ergo, as it can't have been them, it it certainly wasn't us, it must have been, er... aliens.

The third big mistake is to apply modern attitudes to ancient peoples.

An Englishman putting up a long fence in his garden may choose to hire a mini digger, a skip, and a petrol powered Earth auger. He will work long hours to earn the money to hire these labour saving devices and never see the irony.

A builder repointing a chimney stack will use a powered cement mixer, and probably work from a scaffold tower. The joiner working elsewhere on site will use a £200 electric screwdriver because it is quicker than a £5 manual screwdriver. The site foreman will do a written health and safety assessment. Everything is geared towards a small number of people using sophisticated equipment to do a job quickly and safely.

This is a comparatively recent development. Only just over 100 years ago, we sent young men of working age walking across muddy fields into machine gun fire. Determination and weight of numbers were sufficient to achieve an objective, and life was cheap — at least for the leaders.

Now look back to when the pyramids were built, or Stonehenge, or any other putative "product of ancient aliens". It was probably a time when determination and weight of numbers were sufficient to achieve an objective and life was cheap — at least for the leaders.

So the proponents of the ancient astronaut hypothesis are making three mistakes:
  1. They are generally judging others according to their own preconceptions about what is "advanced" or "primitive".
  2. They are ignoring the fact that our own history has had enormous ups and downs in terms of technology and culture, and that other peoples' histories may well have done the same.
  3. They are in effect saying, "You'd need the biggest modern cranes to build that," forgetting that machinery and technology are only one approach to fulfilling major projects.

I wonder what some people of the future will believe to have been built by aliens in the 21st century? There's no sign we'll become more rational the longer we go on, after all.

I wonder what some people of the future will believe to have been built by aliens in the 21st century? There's no sign we'll become more rational the longer we go on, after all.
It depends on how far civilisation will have fallen by then. There'll be no coal or petrol, so they'll wonder how large things were moved about. They'll wonder at how plastics were made, etc.

There's no doubt ancient aliens is based off a lack of understanding of cultures lost, especially the Pre Colombian ones in the Americas, where even the passing of time was so culturally different its barely translatable through our lens.

I think it goes beyond ignorance and does sit in a kind of inherently racist spectrum where some automatically assume the Inca couldn't have moved massive stones.

But when you read about their culture its very obvious not only that they could but why they did it.

Today you can do that online in minutes.

Ancient aliens is one of the dullest, silliest and laziest ideas out there.

There's no doubt ancient aliens is based off a lack of understanding of cultures lost, especially the Pre Colombian ones in the Americas, where even the passing of time was so culturally different its barely translatable through our lens.

I think it goes beyond ignorance and does sit in a kind of inherently racist spectrum where some automatically assume the Inca couldn't have moved massive stones.

But when you read about their culture its very obvious not only that they could but why they did it.

When I visited Saqsaywaman in Peru, which has some immense Stones used in its construction, the guide explained how it was built, and showed us some of the 'lazy stones', stones that were either too heavy, or fell off of the sleds used to transport them up the hill, and were left by the side of the track.

istockphoto-905712976-612x612.jpg
cusco-17-big-stones-at-sacsayhuaman.png

Last edited:
When I visited Saqsaywaman in Peru, which has some immense Stones used in its construction, the guide explained how it was built, and showed us some of the 'lazy stones', stones that were either too heavy, or feel off of the sleds used to transport them up the hill, and were left by the side of the track.

View attachment 46648View attachment 46649
Yep, it's amazing, I've been there.
To think of a few insane Spanish soldiers assaulting it with the local auxiliaries is mind blowing. Today they'd call air support!

The stones at Ollantaytambo are amazing as well. The guide was able to point to the quarry they came from and we were amazed at how they'd brought them over that terrain and distance. When asked how they did it he just smiled and said
"They had time and were happy to work for the Inka. That's all anything needs. Time and people happy to work."

(By happy he meant they had to!)

Last edited:
Heh, last I heard the Sacsayhuaman case was Pre-Inca(or at least that's what the Inca claim). But we know the Inca made some pretty impressive architecture.

(1) Is There Anything You've Grown LESS Sceptical Of? | Page 2 | The Forteana Forums

Endlessly Amazed said:
I read those books decades ago and they were exciting, like adventure fiction stories. From my interpretation of the books, I thought the ancient alien astronauts helped everyone with their technology - including Europeans - and so never thought it was racist to explain away the non-European technology. My interpretation may be flawed, but I was so surprised to read here in Forteanaland, that they are now considered racist. I can't be bothered to read them again, but they were really exciting!
I hear you, Amazed. As far as I can tell the ancient Astronaut theory=Racism trope originated with one blogger by the name of (this is from memory) Scott Calvino who comes across to me as a rather egocentric kind of guy and one pursuing his own peculiar agenda.(He seems to want to bracket Daniken in with H.P Lovecraft - which strikes me as a very long shot, and lacking in serious evidence to give it backing). Nothing wrong with that, of course - but the mud he has slung seems to have stuck.

I have tried to raise the same point on another thread as you have above - with examples, but I just met the broken record. It might be best to see this as all part of the well intended but misapplied `wokeness` and so called `cancel cutlure` which can be a bit of an irritant nowadays.

It is true that Daniken is guilty of making one unfortunate remark - about the black race being a `mistake` that was made when the extraterrestials were genetically modifying apes into humanity. It's an apalling thing to say - but it seems to have been a one-off as that is the line which gets endlessly recycled to show Daniken is some kind of white supremacist (instead of just a prejudiced Swiss hotelier from a certain generation).

In any case Daniken is not the only A.A spokesperson - not even the main one. Peter Kolosimo, the Italian, was writing at the same time and is probably a better one to read (albeit hard to get hold of nowadays).

I'm afraid that I've become just as sceptical about Ancient Astronauts as I have so many other things however.(I do still find the Nazca lines in Peru tyo be hard to explain within conventional archeology though).

(1) Is There Anything You've Grown LESS Sceptical Of? | Page 2 | The Forteana Forums

I hear you, Amazed. As far as I can tell the ancient Astronaut theory=Racism trope originated with one blogger by the name of (this is from memory) Scott Calvino who comes across to me as a rather egocentric kind of guy and one pursuing his own peculiar agenda.(He seems to want to bracket Daniken in with H.P Lovecraft - which strikes me as a very long shot, and lacking in serious evidence to give it backing). Nothing wrong with that, of course - but the mud he has slung seems to have stuck.

I have tried to raise the same point on another thread as you have above - with examples, but I just met the broken record. It might be best to see this as all part of the well intended but misapplied `wokeness` and so called `cancel cutlure` which can be a bit of an irritant nowadays.

It is true that Daniken is guilty of making one unfortunate remark - about the black race being a `mistake` that was made when the extraterrestials were genetically modifying apes into humanity. It's an apalling thing to say - but it seems to have been a one-off as that is the line which gets endlessly recycled to show Daniken is some kind of white supremacist (instead of just a prejudiced Swiss hotelier from a certain generation).

In any case Daniken is not the only A.A spokesperson - not even the main one. Peter Kolosimo, the Italian, was writing at the same time and is probably a better one to read (albeit hard to get hold of nowadays).

I'm afraid that I've become just as sceptical about Ancient Astronauts as I have so many other things however.(I do still find the Nazca lines in Peru tyo be hard to explain within conventional archeology though).
I agree most of the alleged evidence pointed at by the Ancient Aliens crowd is pretty hopeless. I think our ancestors were a lot more advanced than we give them credit for. However, one case that still impresses me is Robert Temple's Sirius Mystery, not least because the author's scholarship and breadth of knowledge take it miles away from von Daniken and his followers.

When I visited Saqsaywaman in Peru, which has some immense Stones used in its construction, the guide explained how it was built, and showed us some of the 'lazy stones', stones that were either too heavy, or fell off of the sleds used to transport them up the hill, and were left by the side of the track.

View attachment 46648View attachment 46649

Who's the lady? Is she your special Saqsay-waman?? I bet she is...

0eabcb41b6d6f0d66c839e7d92ec87181310e50d.jpg

Heh, last I heard the Sacsayhuaman case was Pre-Inca(or at least that's what the Inca claim). But we know the Inca made some pretty impressive architecture.
Their technology was based on cultures that preceded them and upscaled with sheer manpower. A lot of Inca architecture was based or even built on preexisting sites.

However, one case that still impresses me is Robert Temple's Sirius Mystery, not least because the author's scholarship and breadth of knowledge take it miles away from von Daniken and his followers.
Only a few miles, though; not far enough to make it sensible in any way.

The tales about Sirius B and C told by the Dogon only surfaced about the same time as these discoveries were made by Western astronomers, so it is very likely indeed that the Dogon were influenced by contact with anthropologists. Indeed, the story about Sirius C can be precisely dated to the early 20th century, since this discovery has since been disproven.
https://www.eyeofthepsychic.com/dogonshame/
But it seems that Griaule, a scientist, wanted to attribute to earlier civilisations more knowledge than they actually possessed. Credulous scholars, like Young and Temple, were taken in and through them a whole generation has swallowed the false mythology of aliens from “the Dark Sirius Companion.” This article appeared in Fortean Times.

In short - there is no Sirius C, so the Dogon would need to have made the same mistake as early 20th century astronomers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius#Apparent_third_star
More recent (and accurate) astrometric observations by the Hubble Space Telescope ruled out the existence of such a Sirius C entirely.

Last edited:
Only a few miles, though; not far enough to make it sensible in any way.

The tales about Sirius B and C told by the Dogon only surfaced about the same time as these discoveries were made by Western astronomers, so it is very likely indeed that the Dogon were influenced by contact with anthropologists. Indeed, the story about Sirius C can be precisely dated to the early 20th century, since this discovery has since been disproven.
https://www.eyeofthepsychic.com/dogonshame/

In short - there is no Sirius C, so the Dogon would need to have made the same mistake as early 20th century astronomers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius#Apparent_third_star
That is the standard response that I've heard made before. So the Dogon were very crafty. This is how it all happened. Someone who had absorbed all the available astonomical knowledge about Sirius stood up and said, "I've just had a great idea! Let's wind up all these self-satisfied Europeans by inventing a new religion!"
"But why do that?" someone asked.
"It's obvious, so we can fool all these foreigners who think they're smarter than us! Here's what we do: we construct a model of alien visitation based upon their own astronomical observations. We claim that we got all this info from extraterrestrials who visited us thousands of years ago!"
"What are extraterrestrials?" someone demanded, but the trickster ignored him.
"What we do is create a fake religion, one built around the significant elements of the Sirius star system. The orbits of the stars and all that. We do rock carvings, make ritual objects and stuff."
"But will that fool the white people? Aren't they smart?"
"Obviously we have to age all the artefacts. Make the carvings look old and worn out. Make the masks and ritual objects look really old, I've seen an article about how to age antiques. We can do that, it's easy. And we also have to produce fake accounts from previous explorers and historians backing up the narrative, we can even make it look as if we might descend from the Greeks and link it with their legends. It'll be a big job, but we can do it!" And so they did.
An amazing achievement.

The only aspects of the Sirius mythology that were 'fake', as you put it, were the added details about Sirius B and C. These aspects were added by the Dogon after contact with westerners, and can be precisely dated because they include Sirius B (which exists) and Sirius C (which does not). All the other details existed already. Indeed, there is much doubt that this lore ever existed at all.
The biggest challenge to Griaule, however, came from anthropologist Walter Van Beek. He points out that Griaule and Dieterlen stand alone in their claims about the Dogon secret knowledge. No other anthropologist supports their opinions. In 1991, Van Beek led a team of anthropologists to Mali and declared that they found absolutely no trace of the detailed Sirius lore reported by the French anthropologists.
In other words - it is bullshit.

The only aspects of the Sirius mythology that were 'fake', as you put it, were the added details about Sirius B and C. These aspects were added by the Dogon after contact with westerners, and can be precisely dated because they include Sirius B (which exists) and Sirius C (which does not). All the other details existed already. Indeed, there is much doubt that this lore ever existed at all.

In other words - it is bullshit.
In other words, it comes down to a choice between Van Beek and Griaule & Dieterien. "No other anthropologist supports them" might mean that nobody else has taken the trouble to investigate. Are you saying that the two original investigators themselves made it all up? Put their reputations on the line by inventing a totally false (and easily checkable) Dogon religion?

As I said, it is entirely plausible that the Dogon revered Sirius A. They could not have known about Sirius B, and there is no Sirius C. If they had a religion based around Sirius A, B and C, it was at least 50% in error, and suspiciously similar to the (incorrect) state of astronomy when Griaule first encoutered the Dogon. In short, the entire thing seems to have been manufactured by Griaule (who did know about Sirius B and the totally imaginary Sirius C).
I reject the notion that there were any ancient carvings that specifically represented Sirius A, B and C. This seems to have been a misrepresentation by Griaule (possibly an accidental one). Here's a Dogon artwork which is supposed to show the Sirius system;
sirius2.png

A is supposed to be Sirius A,
B is shown twice for no discernable reason, and is somehow supposed to be Sirius B,
Γ is supposed to be the entirely fictitious Sirius C.
Griaule was under the misapprehension that the latter star existed; it does not. Like in a murder mystery, it seems that the true culprit has been revealed by his own erroneous knowledge.

In addition, there are five extra symbols, which are presumably either meaningless or represent further imaginary objects.

Last edited:
For many years, I thought that the Dogon had this mysterious knowledge and all the implications of this knowledge. Over time, I started to question my acceptance of this, and then started digging into the story. I read a book which, to my mind, refuted the Dogon’s special knowledge. I don’t remember the title or author, so can’t give them here. I remember later reading the Fortean Times article, which reinforced the conclusion that the Dogon special knowledge was spurious.

I came to the conclusion that the Dogon myth was co-created by the anthropologist and his Dogon contacts, with the anthropologist taking the lead. Wanting to be polite, incomplete understanding, delighting in scamming, etc. – all too human motivations and perhaps all part of this story.

Weaknesses of my analysis process: I had a friend who was convinced she was the high priestess of Atlantis in a previous lifetime. She was very unpleasant about her spiritual superiority. She believed in the Dogon special knowledge. This was enough to cause me to doubt the story, and motivated me to do more research. Ah the mysterious intersection of thought, belief, motivation, and emotion.

For many years, I thought that the Dogon had this mysterious knowledge and all the implications of this knowledge. Over time, I started to question my acceptance of this, and then started digging into the story. I read a book which, to my mind, refuted the Dogon’s special knowledge. I don’t remember the title or author, so can’t give them here. I remember later reading the Fortean Times article, which reinforced the conclusion that the Dogon special knowledge was spurious.

I came to the conclusion that the Dogon myth was co-created by the anthropologist and his Dogon contacts, with the anthropologist taking the lead. Wanting to be polite, incomplete understanding, delighting in scamming, etc. – all too human motivations and perhaps all part of this story.

Weaknesses of my analysis process: I had a friend who was convinced she was the high priestess of Atlantis in a previous lifetime. She was very unpleasant about her spiritual superiority. She believed in the Dogon special knowledge. This was enough to cause me to doubt the story, and motivated me to do more research. Ah the mysterious intersection of thought, belief, motivation, and emotion.
It's a pity that we can't organise our own expedition to see the Dogon first hand. One possibility that occurs to me, given the numbers of High Priestesses and other weird types, is that if the Dogon have been hounded by such folk over the decades they might well have decided it would be wiser to deny everything and make sure that their ritual objects and secrets remained out of view. They may well have trusted Griaule and Deiterlen and felt betrayed when they published their work. I don't believe that the tribe had any "special knowledge" in a profound sense, the question is whether their belief system could have been inspired, however indirectly, by real events in the past.
Having read several books by Temple I still view him as an excellent researcher. It is easy enough to criticise someone but his methodology and reasoning are first class. As always, we have to decide for ourselves. His work on ancient lenses is extraordinary.

Alternately the Dogon (or some of them) may have absorbed this erroneous factoid and accepted as part of their own, older system. I wouldn't be surprised to find some memories of Griaule's interpolations are still extant, dating back no further than the 1930s at best.

It's a pity that we can't organise our own expedition to see the Dogon first hand. One possibility that occurs to me, given the numbers of High Priestesses and other weird types, is that if the Dogon have been hounded by such folk over the decades they might well have decided it would be wiser to deny everything and make sure that their ritual objects and secrets remained out of view. They may well have trusted Griaule and Deiterlen and felt betrayed when they published their work. I don't believe that the tribe had any "special knowledge" in a profound sense, the question is whether their belief system could have been inspired, however indirectly, by real events in the past.
Having read several books by Temple I still view him as an excellent researcher. It is easy enough to criticise someone but his methodology and reasoning are first class. As always, we have to decide for ourselves. His work on ancient lenses is extraordinary.
Yes.

I concluded that the Dogon myth was not real, but I also acknowledge that most of my conclusions about everything are provisional acceptance until more evidence comes along. The only conclusions I trust completely are the ones 1. based on my personal experience, 2. after much thought. I am still receptive to changing my mind, but this takes more work if I have accepted for decades a particular conclusion. It is as if there is an internal momentum to belief which is hard to nudge into a new direction.

When I used to play devil’s advocate with Ph.D. candidates or my Ph.D. subordinates when they were shaping up a research project, I routinely challenged their premise selection. I think this is the greatest weakness in most critical thought sequencing.

Yes.

I concluded that the Dogon myth was not real, but I also acknowledge that most of my conclusions about everything are provisional acceptance until more evidence comes along. The only conclusions I trust completely are the ones 1. based on my personal experience, 2. after much thought. I am still receptive to changing my mind, but this takes more work if I have accepted for decades a particular conclusion. It is as if there is an internal momentum to belief which is hard to nudge into a new direction.

When I used to play devil’s advocate with Ph.D. candidates or my Ph.D. subordinates when they were shaping up a research project, I routinely challenged their premise selection. I think this is the greatest weakness in most critical thought sequencing.
Or to put it slightly differently, our assumptions or preconceptions. As Forteans we are constantly coming up against people who assume all kinds of things about reality, most notably that certain events cannot possibly occur, and must therefore be delusions, misperceptions or lies. Because I have had almost every type of odd experience myself I cannot share this assumption because I know they can happen. As John Keel said, "belief is the enemy!" Very few people are genuinely open-minded.

Or to put it slightly differently, our assumptions or preconceptions. As Forteans we are constantly coming up against people who assume all kinds of things about reality, most notably that certain events cannot possibly occur, and must therefore be delusions, misperceptions or lies. Because I have had almost every type of odd experience myself I cannot share this assumption because I know they can happen. As John Keel said, "belief is the enemy!" Very few people are genuinely open-minded.
Yes! Assumption-bases, preconceptions, premise selection. I once had a Ph.D. subordinate who was a bulldog following the evidence, but could not shake her intellectual laziness in challenging her assumptions. I teamed her up with a professional cynic. Even though they almost killed each other, they did good research together.

In my experience, people from cultures with a high degree of respect for authority in a social status way were the worst in self-monitoring.

I have also had weird stuff happen that was subsequently proven by consensual-reality events to be real (mainly precognition or knowing things unconventionally). I have come to accept these cosmological earthquakes as part of the terrain. I have never persuaded anyone except my first and current husbands.

Their technology was based on cultures that preceded them and upscaled with sheer manpower. A lot of Inca architecture was based or even built on preexisting sites.
this has a weird wrinkle though. The Inca seemingly never met some of those pre-existing civilizations. Yeah they claimed Sacsayhuaman was an abandoned ruin before they arrived on the scene. Which raises interesting questions about South American anthropology. We DO have evidence it's true. who, when, how, whY?!? :???: Yeah... questions are more plentiful than answers.

Yes! Assumption-bases, preconceptions, premise selection. I once had a Ph.D. subordinate who was a bulldog following the evidence, but could not shake her intellectual laziness in challenging her assumptions. I teamed her up with a professional cynic. Even though they almost killed each other, they did good research together.

In my experience, people from cultures with a high degree of respect for authority in a social status way were the worst in self-monitoring.

I have also had weird stuff happen that was subsequently proven by consensual-reality events to be real (mainly precognition or knowing things unconventionally). I have come to accept these cosmological earthquakes as part of the terrain. I have never persuaded anyone except my first and current husbands.
And there are people who will claim to be open minded, but when you present them with various increasingly strange things there will eventually be a point beyond which they will not venture, and you can almost hear the door of open mindedness slam shut. (By the way, precognition is now so well established experimentally that it is now more mundane than earthquake!)

Back