• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Not only Nick Pope saw the original, though. Owen Hartop pinned it up in the office for every one to see. This picture wasn't considered top secret for several years.
Interesting. I don't know the whole history of it. It does kind of remind me of what has happened to other photos taken by folks that eventually get confiscated; if it was taken by a military jet it probably very few people would have seen it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your sense of unease is justified, because that's not one of the hikers' photos. It's one of multiple photo mock-ups created by the press and media to illustrate news stories and TV reports about the sighting. These mock-ups were all based on the sketchy descriptions given in news stories and derivative documentation. In other words, they're all artists' conceptions imagined from hearsay.

Thanks.
I misread the story and thought that one photo existed in the public domain.
But as others have posted, it is a grainy photocopy.

Government bans release of secret UFO dossier for another 50 years leaving experts furious

When they say ’experts’, who are they actually referring to? Do they mean anyone with a subjective opinion on the subject as it looks like the relevant people already have clearance for the information.
Ironically, these days almost everyone is in a rush to claim everything ‘government‘ releases is spin or fake but are actually salivating over this stuff to validate their beliefs.

Last edited:
Government bans release of secret UFO dossier for another 50 years leaving experts furious

When they say ’experts’, who are they actually referring to? Do they mean anyone with a subjective opinion on the subject as it looks like the relevant people already have clearance for the information.
I think they are referring to UFO researchers--folks like Richard Dolan and the like.

Well, That is what I was going to ask; who are these `Experts`?

But who or what they are doesnt really matter in the light of FOI.

Has anyone a better or more clearer report on this? I want to ask a proper archivist but wont send them something from the sun...

As I said; Archival practice is all about transparancy these days, -but there are circumstances (mostly personal) where information is kept under wraps.

They dont like it and many archives wont take such material on. They are there to consult, after all.

The Sun reports that Nick Pope “ calls out “ the MoD for not releasing the Perthshire hiker photos of a UFO in Calvire, Scotland in 1990.

Also, Pope claims that just like the “tic-tac Nimitz “ videos, the MoD is hiding their own UAP chases from their jet fighter pilots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has Nick Pope taken a side ?

Nick claims that the Calvin’s UFO pictures taken by walking hikers are real, and the MoD tried to dispose of these photos.

Nick says that photo is clear and crisp, not fuzzy junk.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/8402124/calvine-ufo-photos-ministry-of-defence/

OK, Mr. Pope: Let’s see the Calvine photos.

The UFO photos that were so secret that you had a blown-up poster of one of them on your office wall for several years, for passers-by and the tea lady to look at.

maximus otter

"The most spectacular UFO photo ever captured" or just another grainy black and white image of something that could easily be fake?.......

Is that really what the fuss was about?

The "craft" doesn't look very big - compare it to the size of the width of the fence posts.......It doesn't look that far away either....

Or am I just very cynical......?

I don't actually believe in UFO's - as in visitors from another galaxy / universe. But I am intrigued as to why they won't release the files.
It is almost as if someone wants conspiracy theories about UFOs and aliens to be circulated/believed.....

Could the whole UFO/aliens rumours be useful to the powers that be?

That guy has been waiting 30 years to sell his story to the press presumably.....

Wonder where the chefs are these days?

1990 was the time of Madchester/Raves........Any connection between that and UFO sightings I wonder? Did they go up around that era?

Okay, here goes for a long shot. The lower background of the original shot seems to show it was 'murky' in the distance, I think we have to rule out that it is not the top of that mountain in the background of the more recent show (the highest angular peak) jutting out above the mist/murk. If you zoom right in on this new version of this photo there is some distinct 'mist' on the upper left side of the 'object' and the top half is less distinct than the lower half...

(note the angle of the fence and try to match that with the modern landscape, suddenly the mountain peak is in the correct position)

Does that photo look odd to anyone? Hard to tell exactly how far that UFO is from the camera, no real clues as to size, seems strange, almost as if it were pasted onto the photo.
Just my opinion though.
Could be a mirage (it was close to sunset). Look closely at this new image and you will see that top half of the object is indistinct and there appears to be some mist (?) on the upper left side.

Could be a mirage (it was close to sunset). Look closely at this new image and you will see that top half of the object is indistinct and there appears to be some mist (?) on the upper left side.
Yes, you're right - this new image in the link you posted is much different - the other images I've seen of this photo appear almost 'photoshopped'.
But on this one you can actually see that there was some 'atmosphere' between the camera and the object, it doesn't look faked.

Okay, here goes for a long shot. The lower background of the original shot seems to show it was 'murky' in the distance, I think we have to rule out that it is not the top of that mountain in the background of the more recent show (the highest angular peak) jutting out above the mist/murk. If you zoom right in on this new version of this photo there is some distinct 'mist' on the upper left side of the 'object' and the top half is less distinct than the lower half...

(note the angle of the fence and try to match that with the modern landscape, suddenly the mountain peak is in the correct position)
You're definitely correct, great analysis!

Do we know the exact position/direction the camera was pointing etc?

It is such a bad quality image....I wonder what the rest of the negatives show?

I find it odd that images like this are supposed to be kept secret? Why?

Maybe none of these rumoured highly advanced military aircraft that people have said are mistaken for UFOs for years actually exist....? The powers that be think "Oh that's convenient.....We'll hide the (fake or real - who knows for sure?) UFO pictures so everyone thinks we have highly advanced secret aircraft to hide...."

Last edited:
Excellent; up til now, all we've had to go on was a poor photocopy.

Here's the image, in case the Mail link disappears;
Calvine.png

I note that this is the first time that I've heard that the two witnesses were 'young chefs'. That is interesting, but not really much help in identifying them.
In 1990, RAF Leuchars in Fife had two squadrons of Tornado fighters on 24-hour standby to intercept Russian intruder aircraft.
The plane in the picture doesn't look like a Tornado; it looks a bit like a Harrier, which is what the RAF briefing said at the time.

'Have looked at the photographs, no definite conclusions reached regarding large diamond-shaped object. Confident that jet aircraft is a Harrier. Have no record of Harriers operating in location at stated date/time. No other reports received by MoD of unusual air activity or sightings at location/date/time.'
But this version of the image is not quite good enough to be sure.

I'm also not too impressed with the image of the UFO itself; it is still relatively low in resolution, and could be a model made of cork for all we can tell. Difficult to imagine how it was faked, but the fact that there are tree branches at the top of the picture might be a clue - it looks all a bit too Billy Meier.

Another interesting aspect to this image is that it was taken on black and white film, but printed on colour film; the colours in the photo are a chromatic aberration. In other words - the colours in this image are not real.

Here's a detailed analysis by Andrew Robinson, of Sheffield Hallam University. Hallam have a large archive of UFO material, largely amassed by David Clarke.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tWMZ232qgDE6Tru7jwgG-nsqoeQZpIm3/view

Calvine1.png

Last edited:
Here's the 'Harrier' as shown in Robinson's analysis:
harrier.png

Curiously, the plane is much more out-of-focus than the object. That suggests that the object was at a different distance from the photographer to the plane. This is a bit odd - both the plane and the object should have been at relative infinity compared to the fence and the trees. Perhaps the plane is blurred by movement.

If the object was moving slowly, perhaps the photographer(s) captured more than one good image - I wonder if we'll ever get to see the others.

Back