• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Creepy Story At A Pond!

Human_84

Somewhat human
I'm new to these forums, and I've got a pretty good one. Still creeps me out to this day.

This story takes place somewhere around the summer of 98, I was 13 years old. I lived about 2 miles out from a small town. There was a pond a few houses down the road from mine, in rural northern Michigan. This was a grimy old pond not to mention. Mucky and thick with algae and weeds. I used to bike down to that location and fish for a few hours in the evening, then head back about dark. On this particular night I remember the sky being very orange in color, that's what stands out the most for me. There are 2 houses built on the pond, and i remember no one being home at either that night. It was just me all alone there.

As I was casting out, probably a good 1/2 hour before darkness fell, there came a great gust of wind. It was extreme, I'd not seen wind like this before. The thing was, this was an area that didnt get much wind, being in a rather small valley filled with huge trees so that surprised me. It came down in such a way that a ripple flew across the entire length of the pond. The ripple was nothing too abnormal. If you fish on small waters, you've probably seen something much like this. Things didnt seem quite right with the combination of the sky being bright orange so late in the day, the intense wind, and now this strange ripple almost out of nowhere. I remember taking a few steps back at this point, but still reeling in my line and casting as normal.

Now comes for the weird part and to this day, I can not understand the thing that comes next. I start to hear this music. Not really music at all because there were no instruments, but its singing. I could not for the life of me understand where this was coming from. Seemingly everywhere. Its the voice of a girl, quite loud at that. But this is no ordinary song, if you've heard american indian music it was just like that. Alot of trills and slurs between words and notes. I could not understand the words, but they were definetly not english. It was a bautifull song and very comforting somehow. This went on for 20 seconds or so and then I remember setting my fishing pole down and i had the sudden urge to get into the water.

I began walking twords the edge and instantly another feeling came over me, like I was snapping back into my senses. I snatched my pole and picked up my bike, then peddled up the road quicker than I ever have. Its only a couple minutes back to my house, but in that time it began to rain pretty intensly. I remember bursting into my moms kitchen telling her about this creepy music and she tried so hard to calm me. Even flipping on the radio and going through all the stations but we could not find any type of music similar to this.

I will add that there were no cars anywhere near me so this was not coming from a radio or anything. The music seemed to be coming from everywhere and was too loud and much to clear to be coming from any of the houses nearby. Once again, the houses on the pond were empty at the time. Thinking back, I remember the urge to hop down into the water and swim out to the middle as if I truly needed to be there, feeling as if that would take me to another place?!!? It doesnt make sense now but it did then. I was somehow at that point in time very attracted to the middle of the pond and it really freaks me out now because thats not a natural urge to want to be submerged in a mucky old pond; chin deep in filth. That was the last time I was present at the pond, matter fact I stopped fishing altogethor that day.

Thoughts, Ideas??

Wow, great first post!!! Welcome!

Spooky, have you looked up water sprites, or freshwater mermaids... hmm, what would you look up?!

I googled "water spirits" michigan native and came up with this:

The enemies of the Thunderbirds in Winnebago legend are the "Water Spirits". These became the enemies of the Thunderbirds in primordial times, when the Thunderbirds shot their lightnings everywhere, including the waters. The Thunderbirds still use their lightning when crossing the waters, as that helps protect them from the waterspirits. The Winnebago believed that all lightning was directed at Waterspirits, which lived in bodies of water, or in streams of water beneath the surface of the Earth. The waterspirits were the favorite food of the Thunderbirds, though they usually ate animals and sometimes even humans.

Source

Earthmaker was the central figure in Ho-chunk cosmology. The Sun was also an important figure and was primarily appealed to for war pursuits. Female deities included the Earth and the Moon. Animals were also represented by grand supernatural forces, and these were mainly those seen during vision quests. Other figures assisted Earthmaker and could take human and animal form to assist humans: Trickster, Hare, the Twins of Flesh and Spirit, Red Horn, and Turtle. Battles between good and evil were common in Ho-chunk oral tradition and, depending on the story, the good Thunders and the bad Water Spirits (like the Underwater serpents or panthers of Algonkian oral traditions) could represent those sides.

Source

Granted, these sites deal with "the northern midwest" and Wisconsin respectively, but I think they give us a place to start. :) Oh, and welcome!

Sounds a bit reminiscent of those stories of encounters with Pan but with a trancelike state replacing the feeling of panic. I'm sure unearthly singing is a motif that crops up in at least a few of those experiences. There's a whole thread of them somewhere and someone a lot more patient than me is probably at this very moment finding us the link.

wow, great tale! It does sound reminisent of Pan or Mountain music. I have heard similar stories from others who experianced hearing music in nature with no apparent source and that creepy feeling . There are stories about the mesa's in New Mexico, specificly chaco canyon, where similar phenomina is reported. Never experianced it myself, and kinda glad i havent! I couldnt live with out my fishing time. :D

I get vibes of the swedish spirit "näcken" ("the nude one" in modern swedish, but I'm not sure this is the correct original meaning). It usually took the shape of a fiddler sitting in a stream and playing beautiful music, that would bewitch the listener and make them walk out into the water and drown. Näcken was after your soul (if you listen of the christian versions) or your heart, for dinner. He tried other ways to lure people into the water too. I would never go near that pond!

caribbean folklore

Reminds me of "Mama D'leau"

MAMA D'LEAU (Duh-low) : Her name translates as "mother of the water",
and that is what she is. She is said to be the wife of Papa Bois, and
his partner in protecting the environment. Anyone Mama D'Leau catches
polluting her streams, and rivers, she wraps them in her long
snake-like tail and drags them to the bottom of the water. She is
occasionally seen combing her hair at the water's edge.

http://stacyanne19139.tripod.com/redpage.htm

Not sure if she sings though it's possible she might to lure a person into the depths.

Great story Human!

Did you ever go back to the pond?

Cavynaut said:
Great story Human!

Did you ever go back to the pond?

I had said in the original post. "That was the last time I was present at the pond"

Also, does this ring any bells with anyone - >>a water nymph<< Supposed to be some kind of strange creature who sings its prey into a trance. These kind are in the water. Forest nymphs are present in forests, and so on. Huge mouths. This is just something I've heard from 1 person. Ring any bells guys????

Theres an attractive piece of piano music by Ravel called "Ondine" (stay with me on this one) which is based on the legend of the Undine: a beautiful water sprite which has no soul and can only gain one by marrying a mortal man and bearing his child. The Undine attempts to seduce young men by softly singing to them. If they repulse her advances, she vanishes in an angry shower of rain.

(The myths central motif of the being which lacks a soul and seeks to gain one by mating with humans is also found in the present day alien abduction myth.)

See also the painting by Pre-Raphelite John Waterhouse: Undine

That's along the same lines of the original story of The Little Mermaid (not the Disney version). The little mermaid was told by her grandmother that when mermaids died they turned into sea foam, but when humans died their souls lived on forever. This made her want to be human. Then she fell in love with a human. She made a deal sayng that she could become human and if it worked out she would remain human, but if it didn't she would die and turn into sea foam. The person she was in love with married someone else. The little mermaid's sisters swam up to the land and told her that if she stabbed him with a knife she would turn back into a mermaid instead of dying, but she couldn't do it because she loved him too much. Then when she died she was granted an immortal soul because she sacrificed her life for his, and she was happy. Kind of a happy/sad ending.

It's interesting to think that maybe this was based on real facts, and not just imagination. That maybe people used to have real knowledge of things that most of us would just dismiss now because "logic" has taken over.

Water lure

That sounds uncannily like an kind of Harpie encounter yes I do know that Harpies only live out at sea but there could be some kind of creature like a harpie that lures you in by singing then the victim has the sudden urge to go into the water at that point the harpie would attack and kill you then
eat you. This is not necesarly the case with this because it could be any water deamon that can sing or more likely a spirit of a dead native american singing or mourning over the lake. If I were you I would not set foot near that pond or any lake or pond near it (most water spirits travel fom pond to pond ).

Human_84 said:
I had said in the original post. "That was the last time I was present at the pond"

I should have read your post more carefully. :oops:

Can't say I blame you, wild horses wouldn't have dragged me back there!

Cavynaut said:
Human_84 said:

I should have read your post more carefully. :oops:

Can't say I blame you, wild horses wouldn't have dragged me back there!

Whattaya say that this summer I go back there with all you guys and while you're filming I gear up my snorkle and goggles, step into some flippers and wade down into the muck, backstroking circles around the pond ?? 5 bucks and I'm there. haha forget that. just thought i'd add some humor.

Sounds like it'd be worth an investigation. Damn all these places being over in the US, and me not being over there.

I get vibes of the swedish spirit "näcken" ("the nude one" in modern swedish, but I'm not sure this is the correct original meaning). It usually took the shape of a fiddler sitting in a stream and playing beautiful music, that would bewitch the listener and make them walk out into the water and drown.

Ha ha I freaked out once when I heard violin music when I was hiking pretty deep in the woods. What if it was Näcken? I just had to find out — at the same time I realized this meant I was unable to walk away, just like in the old tales :p

But when I found the source it was just some folk fiddler who had brought his violin into the woods with him.

Ha ha I freaked out once when I heard violin music when I was hiking pretty deep in the woods. What if it was Näcken? I just had to find out — at the same time I realized this meant I was unable to walk away, just like in the old tales :p

But when I found the source it was just some folk fiddler who had brought his violin into the woods with him.
We had a similar thing happen on a ghost invest at a remote location once (sound of woman screaming) until someone reminded us we were close to a dogging location.

We had a similar thing happen on a ghost invest at a remote location once (sound of woman screaming) until someone reminded us we were close to a dogging location.
I'd still be alarmed to hear a woman screaming at night even if the sound was coming from a dogging area. The woman might have been taken there against her will by someone who knows it's a quiet spot.

Topography interacting with atmospheric conditions? Weird sky colour pressaging a storm, initial gust of wind sweeping down the narrow valley presumably causing the ripple, and then playing in the upper branches of those tall trees making them 'sing'?

Those unusual but not unnatural sky colours and odd lighting that happen from time to time can certainly bring on feelings of 'otherworldlyness' and if you've let yourself get spooked well you can imagine anything.

Not wishing to disparage the OP especially without asking supplementary questions. Neither am I dismissing all those other explainations that have been offered but well that's was my take on it as I read it through.

Sollywos x

Intense wind through tree limbs can definitely make them "sing".

One or two UPVC windows in my house literally scream when it's windy, due to defects in the external seal. It was particularly eerie when I first heard it.

the orange clouds around here are a tornado sign. did you happen to notice an unusual mass of rounded clouds? they are called mamatus clouds. usually a sign of severe weather. the sudden wind was a downdraft, or a wind sheer. perhaps the music was carried by the wind from a distance. and sometimes wind can make strange sounds, and it might have been created by the wind going thru trees and traveling quickly from a distance. i cant think of any reason you woulld want to go into the murky pond or feel it was the right thing to do, unless you were disoriented by a sudden change in barometric pressure. thats all i got. great story.

Attachments

• Unknown-3.jpeg
    Unknown-3.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 6
I have heard the unearthly song. It came from the cosmos outside very late on a still silent summer night in 2002. I heard a choir of voices singing "here we are" over and over. I still recall the melody very clearly, a change of tone to semi-tones on each syllable. Very weird.

Back