• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Withnail & I

Do you think Withnail & I is very good?

• Yes, It Is.

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • No, It Isn't.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I've never watched it.

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Alexius4

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm
inclined to believe Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena
of the unwell. Making an enemy of our own future. What we need is harmony.
Fresh air. Stuff like that.

If we haven't already a thread on The Best & Truest Film Ever, we have now...

OK, two observations - Withnail & I has to be the best film about friendship going, and there are few films that remain funny and moving after several hundred viewings. Kudos to Bruce Robinson, then.

Second observation - the thing about 'matter' eating through the glaze on the dinner service is TRUE. I have seen it. Resulted from a chicken carcass being abandoned in a sink that was then abandoned for a period of months...

Oh, and here is the script

Do you know, when you first came in here I knew you were a services man. You can never, never disguise it.

I demand to have some booze!

Perfume ponse

I could hardly piss straight with fear. Here was a man with three quarters of
an inch of brain who'd taken a dislike to me. What had I done to offend him?
I don't consciously offend big men like this. This one has a definite
imbalance of hormone in him. Get any more masculine than him and you'd have
to live up a tree. (He reads eye-level grafitti) "I fuck arses". Who fucks
arses? Maybe he fucks arses. Maybe he's written this in some moment of
drunken sincerity. I'm in considerable danger in here. I must get out of here
at once.

You can stuff it up your arse for nothing and fuck off while you're doing it.

:lol:

oh dear lord!!!

Don't threaten me with a dead fish! :lol:

(I think its the way he says it) :)

And surely no-one could ever want to drink lighter fluid after seeing that film? Its practically a public service announcement!

For a man who apparently never drinks due to an alchohol allergy, Richard E Grant puts in a commendable turn as a professional drunk.

Balls! We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here, and
we want them now.

If you have never shouted that in a tea room full of pensioners, truly you have not lived. :D

I recently saw a TV documentary on the infamous Richardson gang and a very short piece of footage with Charlie Richardson being interviewed and pleading mock innocence and I thought "where have I heard a very similar voice before" -
then it clicked - Don't know if he based his accent on him
it's Danny:

" If I medicined you , you would think that a brain tumour was a birthday present"

another good one is:

"We've gone on holiday by mistake"

-

If you've got the DVD of Withnail and I which comes with the documentary Withnail and Us as one of the extras, have a look at the latter. Go to the Richard E Grant interview sections and have a look at the weird little alien/skull face that appears on the cushion which is on the chair by the fireplace to Grant's right. Freaked me out the first time I noticed it (mind you, I was completely bolloxed at the time) especially as it appears to be talking to itself, although that could be something to do with the quality of my monitor.

Unless, of course, I'd just been medicined and imagined the whole thing.

For my money, the best Danny moment:

Danny:
No need to get uptight man. I was merely making an observation. I happened to
be looking for a suit for the coal man two weeks ago. For reasons I can't
really discuss with you the coal man had to go to Jamaica. Got busted coming
back through Heathrow, had the weight under his fez. We worked out that it
would be handy karma for him to get hold of a suit but he's a very low
temperature spade the coal man, went into court wearing a kaftan and a bell.
This doesn't go down at all well. They can handle the kaftan but they can't
handle the bell. So there's this judge sitting there sitting in a cape like
fucking batman with this really rather far out looking hat.

Withnail:
A wig.

Danny:
No man, this was more like a long white hat. So he looks at the coalman and
says 'what's all this. This is a court man. This ain't fancy dress' and the
coal man looks at him and says 'you think you look normal, your honour?'.
Cunt give him two years.

Story goes Ralph Brown turned up at the audition looking and sounding pretty much as he does in the film - Bruce Robinson had to have him on the spot...

In the published script, the stage directions indicate that one of Danny's eyes depresses in its socket when he removes his shades and says very, VERY foolish words, man. And you know, I could swear the actor actually tries to do it. :D

I was amazed when I first saw it by how much Danny resembles the character played by that actor (later) in wayne's world 2. I could hear his voice before he opened his mouth.

Yes to both! When I was a studenty type, Withnail and I was required weekly viewing among my peers, and attempts at the north-west face of the drinking game soon followed.

It's not so much the quantity that makes it nigh on impossible, as the mixture and rapidity with which you have to drink them. Nope, none of us ever completed the challenge: it starts easily enough, but we usually got to about halfway through when things started getting difficult (keeping it all down is tricky). Also, attempting to line your stomach with a pint of milk (that was my idea) doesn't even remotely help..

BTW, we used to use neat, impossibly strong Polish Spirit for the lighter fuel, having deemed the real thing as counter-productive (I won't say how we achieved this conclusion). Apparently, when shooting that scene in the movie they used Smirnoff Blue or similar in the can, so Grant's reaction was to genuinely throw up on McGann's shoes :).

Did you ever do the thing with a squeezy bottle full of child's piss? ;)

stu neville said:
BTW, we used to use neat, impossibly strong Polish Spirit for the lighter fuel, having deemed the real thing as counter-productive (I won't say how we achieved this conclusion). Apparently, when shooting that scene in the movie they used Smirnoff Blue or similar in the can, so Grant's reaction was to genuinely throw up on McGann's shoes :).

I believe they actually used neat vinegar and neglected to inform Grant...

Vivian

I won't drag us directly to the film (Withnail & I - A damned masterpiece) but this little introduction by its writer and director Bruce Robinson is so poignantly bitter-sweet that i thought it worth sharing.

This is almost certainly the last time I’ll ever write anything about Withnail and I. Just in case it doesn’t come out too good I’ll get to the point immediately. I want to dedicate this new edition to my friend Vivian.

From 1966 to about 1976, I kept a diary, and page after page of this is about Vivian and I. I met him in 1964 in our first year in drama school. He wore a blue suit and shades and looked like Marlon Brando. Everyone thought he was going to be a star. Within ten minutes I was his closest friend, and so was everyone else. Everyone loved Viv. He wasn’t a bad actor (though when we left Central School he hardly ever got a job). Wasn’t a bad writer either (although I don’t ever remember him writing anything). The reality is that, if he had acted, or had written, he wouldn’t have excelled at either because the interest wasn’t there. What Vivian was brilliant at was being Vivian. That was his genius, and everyone who ever met him was overwhelmed by it. His nicknames were “the spine” and “crime.” I don’t know where the first came from, but the latter predicated on his ability to spend all day in the pub, and always with discretion navigate his turn to buy a drink. “Crime doesn’t pay.” But none of us cared because his company was worth the price. Viv was into literature, Keats and Baudelaire, and turned me on to both these poets. Plus the funniest book I’ve ever read, the great À Rebours, is one of two novels Marwood shoves into his suitcase at the end of the film.

There isn’t a line of Viv’s in Withnail and I, but his horrible wine-stained tongue may as well have spoken every word. Without Viv, this story could never have been written. And all I’ve got to do is look back through this old diary with its daisies stuck under yellowing Sellotape, to realize why. Vivian and I lived Withnail and I for a long time before that weird thing happened in my head, and I had to sit at the kitchen table and try and write it down.

April 16, 1975. Hadn’t seen V. for two years. He’s lost his looks but not his habit. Scotch before breakfast. He doesn’t eat breakfast. Vivian is drinking himself to death. He said, “If there’s a God, why are arses at the perfect height for kicking?” and I said, “I’ve got to agree with you.” Going backwards now and plunging deep into the hangovers. I can’t believe the amount of hangovers.

November 16, 1969. In bed for two days. I can hear Viv groaning in the other room.

I can’t believe this one. It’s almost biblical.

I simply can’t believe the amount of drinking. Practically every entry starts with a description of a hangover, and they are all different, like Eskimos have twenty different ways of describing snow. This one was gin and retsina and lasted four and a half days. It gets about a page and a half, adjectives all over it, as I looked for different ways to describe pain. Vivian was of the opinion that the only way to deal with a hangover was to drink your way around it. Jesus, I remember you drinking them out. I remember you drinking the lighter fuel in the middle of a blistering argument. But I’d forgotten that I was a member of the Conservative Party.

January 16, 1970. V. came back and said we should join the Conservative Party. “What for?” I said. “Because they give you sherry.” (Apparently he’d met some accountant called Bill Twococks who told him this was the case.) That night we got on our suits and walked over to Primrose Hill. The Conservative Party was in a basement and consisted of about six women and a photo of Macmillan on the wall. A tall twot with a ludicrous accent and a second-hand Saab wanted us to “canvass.” We said we would, but didn’t get any sherry, so we threw their fucking leaflets over a hedge.

April 30, 1969. Vivian and I get on our suits and go down for wine-tasting at Sotheby’s. This time we didn’t get in. Some bloke with ears and a green hat prevented our entry. “We’ve come to taste the wine,” we said. “You two cunts can hop it,” he said. He obviously remembered us from previous tastings and this expulsion left us depressed. Sotheby’s was one of the best shows in town to drink brilliant wine and arsehole yourself absolutely free.

That night we go into Regent’s Park and look at the wolves. I can’t count the number of times we went into the park and looked at the wolves. And I can’t believe Vivian is dead. He got cancer of the throat and they tore his voice out. And the fellow I’d always thought of as being the biggest coward I’d ever met materialized into the bravest bastard I’d ever known. It’s got to be hard to laugh when you’re dying, but I’ll always remember you laughing. That sad, brilliant, bitter face of yours laughing. Good-bye my darling friend. This is for you forever. And I know if there’s a pub in heaven, you’ll be in it. And Keats will be buying the drinks.

—From the introduction to “Withnail and I”: The Screenplay 10th Anniversary Edition. Copyright ©1985 Bruce Robinson. Published in the U.S. by The Overlook Press.

Source

Re: Vivian

theyithian said:
I won't drag us directly to the film (Withnail & I - A damned masterpiece) but this little introduction by its writer and director Bruce Robinson is so poignantly bitter-sweet that i thought it worth sharing.

Like Spinal Tap, one of those films that you watch and wonder what the fuss is about, then ten years later realise it's amongst the few films you could watch twice in a row and enjoy more the second time, it's like a comfy pair of slippers you can't throw away.

Totally agree. It's exquisite - and it does grow on you: now, even though I have it on tape, I deliberately watch a maximum of once a year.

There's not many films I can say that for :).

Two people voted for "no it isn't"?

"What f**ker said that..?"

A veritable masterpiece. My London-based niece tells me of a drinking game which involves watching the film and drinking every drink the characters drink along with them (being prepared and well stocked of course), including the lighter fuel! She says she has never played it, but heard of it from a FOAF.... so anyone played it or is it a total FOAF story?

Yeah, me - see the last post on the previous page :).

Have merged two Withnail threads, and shifted them to Fortean Culture (oh yes they are.)

Hospitaller said:
A veritable masterpiece. My London-based niece tells me of a drinking game which involves watching the film and drinking every drink the characters drink along with them (being prepared and well stocked of course), including the lighter fuel! She says she has never played it, but heard of it from a FOAF.... so anyone played it or is it a total FOAF story?

To drink everything is pretty near impossible: too much scotch and gin underlying the other drinks. I started playing at uni but was drunk before the film started and passed out after half an hour.

By the way, a permissible alternative to lighter fluid is a shot of vinegar, as that what the director put in the lighter-fluid bottle to get a suitable grimace from Grant.

Is vinegar that much better though?

It's a great film but as mentioned - a grower -

Poignantly - capturing friendship. the loss of the promise of the 60s and the approaching grim 70s and youthful ambition thwarted.

SCRUBBERS!

-
-

The soundtrack has some really good moments on it, although I wish it had dialogue from the film between tracks like the outstanding Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas one.

Best bits:

King Curtis' melancholic Whiter Shade of Pale.
Hendrix, All along the Watchtower and Voodoo Chile (live versions - probably due to some copyright issue).
The Beatles, While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
A nostalgic Hang out the stars in Indiana
Withnail's Theme:
jaunty and wistful; I wish they had included the Hamlet soliloquy at the end.

It's one of those soundtracks where each track takes you back to the scene.

theyithian wrote:
By the way, a permissable alternative to lighter fluid is a shot of vinegar as that what the director put in the lighter fluid bottle to get a suitable grimmace from Grant. Is vinegar that much better though?

Going on what the linked-to Wikipedia bit on the drinking game says with regard to the volume of alcohol consumed in the film, the lighter fluid would be just one more tack in a well nailed coffin! :D Haven't watched it in yonks, will have to dig it out for later!

Just thought I'd bump this thread. I'm guessing it's just been in bed with a bastard of a hangover for 16 months, but I'm waving an opened bottle of cheap gin under its nose to try and stir it back into life.

I'd heard all about the film, of course, but inexplicably only ever caught snippets up until recently. Then, the other day, in one of my regular hit-and-run visits to Woolworths, looking for DVD bargains, I spotted Withnail & I propped up on a shelf, trying to look nonchalant. What does "chalant" mean, anyway? Never mind. Anyway, it was on sale for £2 or £3, I can't recall which, but I thought "I'll have some of that, thank you very much". So I did. Have some, that is.

What a lovely, poignant, funny film it turned out to be. Not quite sure about the drug-dealer, who seemed to be channelling Harold Steptoe, mind, but no less enjoyable for that.

Also, one of life's little mysteries, the kind that rattle around in your head, occasionally annoying you with their presence, has been solved. I'm always intrigued by other members' signatures, wondering where, if anywhere, they come from. Well, after hearing Paul McGann utter the question, "Why have you drugged their onions?", there's one less to worry about.

Chin chin!

it's a long time since i last watched it, but i have to admit that this was a film that didn't really do much for me :?

Back