Search results

1. James_H

Is Pink A Colour?

Spectral as in the spectrum on comfortably numb's avatar. If you see orange or purple on a flower or a rainbow it's 'real' as in you're actually seeing light of that wavelength. If you're looking at a computer monitor or something printed using a four colour system, you're not seeing light of...
  2. James_H

Is Pink A Colour?

We know from Giotto that the mediaevals loved pink, even if they didn't have a word for it. In a lot of European languages it's named rose, after the flower. I guess this goes back to Latin.
  3. James_H

Is Pink A Colour?

Not to mention hot pink Cadillacs. For what it's worth, some of the more garish colours like bright purple became fashionable in the 19th century due to the advent of new coal-based chemical dyes and pigments. Try mixing a nice purple out of blue and red paint: it's not possible. On a side...
  4. James_H

Is Pink A Colour?

Tabu thank you
  5. James_H

Is Pink A Colour?

Debatable, see here http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=17970
  6. James_H

Is Pink A Colour?

I don't have time to make a long post but briefly, I think the hard-whorfian idea that we don't distinguish between colours we don't have different words for is nonsense and not supported by the evidence. However, it does seem to be true that in the need to categorise colours we do end up...
  7. James_H

Who Agrees?

That's awful. I'm lucky that this kind of innuendo seems to be absent in Hong Kong as far as people assuming you're a sex offender goes, but I think there's still an element of 'that's not men's work' to it (almost 100% of local class teachers are women).
  8. James_H

I Saw And Photographed The Loch Ness Monster In 2006

I cropped into the boat, and zoomed in because the first one was also zoomed. I'll go back to both original images (working from the full size monster one) and try again when I have time.
  9. James_H

Who Agrees?

Well quite, there are people who are lesbians on principal.
  10. James_H

But can you see a rectangle of white squares around it?
  11. James_H

Here's the boat from that image.
  12. James_H

Home Made Wine Query

Ogred weary, by the way, what you're referring to in your op is known as a 'gusher'.
  13. James_H

GM Crops: Yes Or No?

GM crops might be our only hope for a) solving world hunger and b) solving the problem of how our species eat once we move to space (whether or not we do depends rather on point a).
  14. James_H

My Illusions Delusions

Skinny, I'm sure the paranormal part of the story will be along shortly.
  15. James_H

You got one I can use? I do notice something about the one I posted. There are regular squares across the board: presumably the jpg compression algorithm goes across the picture, looks at squares of this side and simplifies colours within them. So if there's not a lot going on in that square...
  16. James_H

Who Agrees?

I'm surprised it's even that high. As a male nursery teacher, I agree that it should be higher - as you say, children need male role models. However there's a bit of a stigma attached to the job.
  17. James_H

Home Made Wine Query

I'm not 100% either but it is quite a common bug in brewing so not unlikely.
  18. James_H

How Old Are You?

I'm 32, making me one of those millennials who are ruining the world by eating avocados on toast or whatever it is. I was in another lifetime a teenager on this board. Can't remember exactly when I joined because I think I've changed accounts at some point but I guess I would have been 15...
  19. James_H

New Zealand Pre-History & The Kaimanawa Wall

A case in which the evidence is actually pretty good for an area being populated by 'white' (light-haired, coloured-eyed) people in ancient times is the Tarim basin in Xinjiang, China. This is controversial with some groups, not least because some Uyghur separatists use it to support their claim...
  20. James_H

Help With Re-Organisation: Move & Merge Requests

Thank you for your hard work! Which would be the appropriate thread to post about TCM?
  21. James_H

New Zealand Pre-History & The Kaimanawa Wall

This is like the Solutrean hypothesis of the settlement of the Americas - the waters get muddied by groups who have an agenda to push.
  22. James_H

Home Made Wine Query

As others have mentioned, it's probably done wild bacteria that got into the wine. Lactic acid bacteria are desirable in some beer (especially some Belgian and German) and wine (malolactic fermentation converts sour malic acid into the more palatable lactic) styles but all that should be...
  23. James_H

Jack Shepherd, The Speedboat 'Killer': Was She Driving? They Never Said That!

Perverting the course of justice?
  24. James_H

What Are You Eating & Drinking?

It's just not part of the cuisine of the area particularly. In some other parts of China they eat more 'sheep meat' and 'mountain sheep meat' (goat).
  25. James_H

I await with bated breath the intricate weaving of threads on the loom of moderation!
  26. James_H

Tech Help

I sometimes have trouble logging into things from foreign countries – it's like if you try and use a debit card in a foreign country without telling the bank first. They'll lock you out for your own security. If you access google from one place and then five minutes later access it from (what...
  27. James_H

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

I also once had a dream in which I took LSD and had a trip - long before I'd ever done any such thing in real life (supposing I ever have). I can't remember it well enough to know if it was accurate, but it was a different experience from normal dreaming.
  28. James_H

Political Correctness Rides Again

Good point, also true.
  29. James_H

Political Correctness Rides Again

Whatever point they're trying to make, they're doing it cynically to make money so who cares.
  30. James_H

SETI To Make Contact Within 25 Years

Given the timescales involved, it probably wouldn't seem too much bother to land at the destination planet, mine it for resources then build another beam.
  31. James_H

Tech Help

Are you logged into Google services (eg Chrome login, Gmail?)
  32. James_H

Eating a fried egg and cheese sandwich fried in butter, drinking some kind of japanese alcopop I found in the fridge.
  33. James_H

Random/Peculiar Images

They looked more or less identical to each other!
  34. James_H

The rectangle becomes even more obvious with an edge-detect algorithm.
  35. James_H

Oh wait, I see it now. Definitely suspect.
  36. James_H

Do you mean because they're bigger or because the water seems to be lighter and more complicated around the black shape? Could it be something to do with jpg compression?
  37. James_H

Weird Tales From Reddit

What is the creepiest thing that's happened to you personally that made you question reality?
  38. James_H

Suggested merge: Alternative Therapies Alternative Medicine & Therapies
  39. James_H

While we have telling evidence, do we have clear proof that this photo is fake?
  40. James_H

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

I've dreamed about driving a car before, something I've never actually done. Tellingly, they're usually anxiety dreams, because I quickly realise I have no idea what I'm doing and veer out of control.
  41. James_H

Both have been carriers of pandemics across Asia, too, though I suppose beef would too if it were more popular.
  42. James_H

Who Agrees?

My dad very much an early subscriber to the idea that there was an international conspiracy of women whose only goal in life was to screw over men. He was the only person around who couldn't see that he was the only common factor in all his terrible marriages. ---- And why is it that mgtow...
  43. James_H

Coral Castle (Edward Leedskalnin; Homestead, Florida)

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that the castle is not built from coral after all, but oolitic limestone.
  44. James_H

Dealing With IHTM Reports

I follow a few subreddits dedicated to ihtm type stories and they are almost all completely full of obviously made up bollocks. And nobody ever replies skeptically. I don't know what the takeaway is except that we're lucky that ours are generally pretty good.
  45. James_H

My Vinyl Collection

Nice. I used to have a great record collection but had to give it all away after too many moves. Miss it sometimes - nowadays I just use YouTube for music.
  46. James_H

You got beef with Aldi?
  47. James_H

Beef is also expensive in HK- chicken and pork aren't, being widely farmed in China.
  48. James_H

Is it all exported?
  49. James_H

The 'Sharpened Pencils Up The Nostrils Examination' Legend

I think I remember hearing this at school. Southern England, mid 90s
  50. James_H

You can get goat in Harrods or probably the market in Peckham. In Hong Kong you can barely get lamb, it's a frustratingly uncommon and expensive meat.