Search results

1. stu neville

Did Actor Stage His Own Racist Attack?

Most of a purely Political theme are already out of sight. Those that remain have a justifiable reason for remaining visible and open. So no. Thank you for your cooperation, once more.
  2. stu neville

There. Your cooperation is appreciated :) .
  3. stu neville

INT21. It's a (by no means unreasonable) request we make of everyone. No, 'they' don't need spoon-feeding, but few if any have the kind of telepathic abilities that we rather ironically discuss on here to work out what a thread is about from titles such as 'Wow! Look at this!' or ''What do you...
  4. stu neville

80s Treasure Map TV Programme

(goes to stand on some cold lino) Anyway... I go along with the pain/memory thing. I have quite limited pain sensation so remember when I have had it, and when I had septicaemia I definitely had it. I was so drugged up I couldn't change the channel (I was in isolation so had my own telly -...
  5. stu neville

Worst British Accent Attempt. Ever.

But, he does a bang-on impersonation of the voice many people adopt when they ring in sick.
  6. stu neville

Tom Cruise & His Wives

No, you're thinking of Henry Honda.
  7. stu neville

The Bible: Fact Or Fiction?

It does feature in many, if not most mythologies around the world, including Australian Aboriginal whose oral tradition is unbroken for thousands of years. It has been speculated that it could be race memories of post ice-age rises in sea-level among other things, but whatever the reasons it...
  8. stu neville

I'm a West Countryman. Could only be cream.
  9. stu neville

You are correct, sir - typing in haste in anticipation of a rather nice pudding. I too have edited to attribute correctly. My point stands, nonetheless. Everybody play nicely, please. I'm back to my syrup pud, now.
  10. stu neville

This is, of course, the entire nub of the thread. As I have already said, as it concerns articles of faith as much as dispassionate analysis there will be points where posters adopt opposing views. I will ask, once again and very nicely (as I am kindly disposed this evening) that ALL...
  11. stu neville

(bangs gavel) Mr deVivre! Kindly refrain from adopting such a dramatic tone. It is perfectly possible to - and you are perfectly capable of - discussing these issues without umbrage being taken . These are not ad hominem attacks. Please continue.
  12. stu neville

How Much Is A Wife Worth?

It is beautiful. As is The Voice. Hardy, like Lawrence needs to be read through the prism of adult experience to get the full impact of his narratives. They're complex, messy, just like real lives.
  13. stu neville

This isn't a courtroom drama. Do calm down.
  14. stu neville

Tom Cruise & His Wives

No, not nice, but not overwhelmingly evil either. He's a hitman, so in that sense amoral, but no more so than James Bond.
  15. stu neville

How Much Is A Wife Worth?

It's the basic plot of Hardy's 'The Mayor Of Casterbridge'.
  16. stu neville

I can still do it, when I put my mind to it.
  17. stu neville

Taking a single source will always have its problems, be it the Bible, Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, Bede, Geoffrey of Monmouth, whomever. The ideal is three or more original sources so you can triangulate and thus accept the points on which they concur as fact, albeit still open to interpretation...
  18. stu neville

Politics On The FTMB

The Shamima Begum thread was, rightly, locked following multiple reports as the content had become overwhelmingly political. Such subjects will always provoke strong feelings and opinions, but inevitably will always lurch then into factional discussions. That is not what we are here for. This...
  19. stu neville

Worst Movie EVER?

Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but "2036 - Origin Unknown" really is appalling. Clearly written by someone who has played Portal and seen Contact & 2001 way too many times. There were half a dozen opportunities for real tension or interest, but each one is spectacularly missed...
  20. stu neville

Well, the Flood narrative (for example) is pretty much global, and certainly featured in Mesopotamian legend, but whether that then informed other Middle Eastern cultures or whether they had the story in their own right probably depends on to whom you listen.
  21. stu neville

Anadigitabulaecessionism: A Needful New Word That You Know The Meaning Of Already

I used to have a colleague so unfocused and verbose he would lose the thread of his tabulating indices. As a result (and to everyone else's amusement) he'd come up with: "1) I think you're wrong.... Blah blah blah ...Secondly, it's not policy and... Blah blah blah ...C) we shouldn't be...
  22. stu neville

Star Trek

They took it to the edge, but I knew they wouldn't, either. Impressed they could get Harry Dean Stanton in female form as the new engineer though. She's fab :) .
  23. stu neville

What TV Are You Watching?

Well on form, I thought.
  24. stu neville

Exactly. I just reviewed everything that's happened on it. Dropship, can you be more specific (about anything, but about this in particular would be helpful.)
  25. stu neville

Which posts?
  26. stu neville

And right there is why pursuing this conversation with you will, I'm afraid, prove ultimately pointless. You accuse others of being unwilling to discuss, but your own mind is cardinally set, and as I've pointed out previously you're using passages from the text in question -ie the Bible - to...
  27. stu neville

"Buddha made some good points" - so not all of them, then? What I'm getting at is that of three separate religious bodies of teaching recorded in the same manner, you regard all three as more or less verbatim, but only one as 100% true. Any reason?
  28. stu neville

You didn't say "many people" originally, though. You just said parts of the NT are jarring. And surely it depends upon who is writing the account, the biases that are incorporated, consciously or otherwise. Except, as we've already established, few if any are first-hand accounts. Ditto. And...
  29. stu neville

How does belief - or disbelief - preclude debate? Discussion between people who believe the same thing would be "agreement". I'm coming from the opposite direction from you, yes, but from such intersections light can be shed. Now, care to address the points I put to you, if you can tear...
  30. stu neville

So why do you then say it's "jarring"? ..again, answering your own questions. I admit I'm puzzled as to what your overall view actually is. The thread is about whether the Bible is fact or fiction - you seem to be attempting to prove it's fact by quoting it and treating said quotes as primary...
  31. stu neville

Quite right, their utterances have likewise been reported second, third, fourth hand and then gradually arranged into canon. Do you feel that their words are as valid as those attributed to Christ? Why? Christ was human, wasn't he? Why? If he was human (qv) the point of the whole bloody faith...
  32. stu neville

Sorry, but who's avoiding debate? I just joined in with "all the fun." Read what I said. Predominantly committed to record as we know it centuries later- yes, some of it is closer to Christ's time, but virtually none from within his lifetime. The majority of the NT as we see it was written up...
  33. stu neville

The Tale Of The Terrifying Teddy

Anyway, yes, the imaginary Gordon and I of all people should know better. Sorry.
  34. stu neville

What do you think happened? Are you seeing imaginary Gordons? Don't listen to them.
  35. stu neville

I'm only pulling your leg :) .
  36. stu neville

And lo, so it became.
  37. stu neville

Staff Change

Mine are UNCLE. You're all nicked.
  38. stu neville

Worst Movie EVER?

I misread the cast you cited to include Kenneth Williams. He'd be great reprising his role as The Khazi. (Have seen it actually - agree it's rubbish.)
  39. stu neville

There are over 50 Bertie Wooster stories. I'd love there to be more, but the multiple accounts doesn't make him real. The fact has to be acknowledged, that the NT is predominantly third or fourth hand, committed to record centuries later, and in the case of English versions will have been...
  40. stu neville

Star Trek

..apparently channelling OddBod from Carry On Screaming.
  41. stu neville

Star Trek

Yeah, I'm hoping the Klingon thing takes a backseat too. Farscape Harvey :) .
  42. stu neville

Mass / Group Abductions (e.g. From Passenger Transports)

I think 3 is generous.
  43. stu neville

Staff Change

No. That was a Dennis tradition. This is post-Reformation, now.
  44. stu neville

Yes - I was watching The Dead Pool (the Dirty Harry movie, not the Merc with the Mouth) for the first time in years not long ago, and was puzzled when a certain sequence didn't appear, then remembered that was in Tightrope, another Eastwood policier. Easily done.
  45. stu neville

Why Can't They Get It Right ?

True. If I quote something directly, that I know is factually wrong, I do note that.
  46. stu neville

As Essy said, the Oak Island thing has been going on for years - there's a series about it still on History - and it's been the subject of countless documentaries. It's thirty years ago, so you may have just conflated it with another programme?
  47. stu neville

Woman 'Marries' Her Duvet: Objectophilia Uncovered

I really hope he let it cool down first. I'm also thinking of the Kwik-Fit song now, for some reason.
  48. stu neville

Why Can't They Get It Right ?

Is Mezrich quoting directly in the report about port/starboard - in which case it's his source in error - or is it his narrative?